Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

I have to assume Graham has fully flipped now.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/sen-lindsey-graham-military-lawyer-dismisses-mueller-convictions-lying-fbi-not-big-event/

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), an Air Force JAG officer, on Sunday defended President Donald Trump by saying that lying to the FBI is not a “big event.”

During an interview on Face the Nation, host John Dickerson asked Graham to react to the news that former Trump campaign Chairman Paul Manafort has agreed to cooperate with special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation.

“I don’t know yet,” Graham replied. “I know that from the [Judiciary Committee] point of view we found no evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russians. I think [Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman] Richard Burr said from the Intel point of view that he has seen no evidence of collusion.”

Graham argued that Mueller should be allowed to complete his investigation, but the South Carolina senator also said that he was “disappointed” that the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s emails had been closed.

Dickerson asked Graham to grade Mueller based on his record of indictments, pleas and guilty verdicts in the Russia investigation.

But Graham suggested that guilty pleas for lying to the FBI do not carry the same weight as other convictions.

“You got to look at the substance of what people pled to,” the military lawyer opined. “Some people pled to lying to the FBI like [George Papadopoulos] got two weeks in jail.”

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

It’s become pretty obvious that the trump-Russian crime syndicate has some pretty good blackmail material on old Lindsey Graham. Probably let him know all about it over a friendly round of golf.

its how these guys operate. Trump sucks at it but his partners/masters have it down pat. 

On 9/5/2018 at 9:10 PM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Lodestar’s appearnce is being overvalued.  Pence is one of the few long term politicians in the administration, so he’s the only person whose had enough speeches and what not recorded over the years.  You can search all the stuff he’s ever said but not, say, DeVos or Kelly or Mattis.  

I’ve said lodestar before and written it before, but none of you would ever know because it hasn’t been etched in something permanent. 

The evidence  isn’t as strong as everyone acts. 

"Lodestar" makes an appearance in Woodward's book, p. 159.  Wilbur Ross. 

Pie in the sky things the 51 Senate Rs could do to hold DOTUS accountable.

https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2018/09/trump-time-capsule-redux-vichy-senate-edition/568720/

I mention these disproportions to introduce a Time Capsule series for the 55 days between now and the 2018 midterm elections. It will focus on the 51 people who have disproportionate power. Unlike the other 330+ million Americans, members of this group could do something directly to hold Donald Trump accountable for what nearly all of them know is his reckless unfitness for office—but who every day choose not to act.

Those 51 are, of course, the Republicans who make up Mitch McConnell’s current Senate majority. What could they do? I’ve laid out the basic case here, but in brief:

Any one senator, of majority or minority party alike, has vast power to hold up the Senate’s business in order to get his or her way—on a point that really matters to the senator. The filibuster is one obvious tool. Ever seen the old movie Mr. Smith Goes to Washington? Ever watch Rand Paul try to hold up renewal of the Patriot Act? Ever watch Ted Cruz hold the floor for 21 straight hours, to slow down Obamacare? Ever hear about Tom Cotton putting a personal hold on an ambassadorial nominee—waiting it out until the nominee died? These give you an idea of what even one senator can do—if it matters.

Any one senator, who happens to be a committee chair, is in a very strong position to: hold hearings, issue subpoenas, and generally direct public and governmental attention to an issue. In the House, think of Representative Trey Gowdy, and what he did for years with the Benghazi hearings. Think of Devin Nunes. In the Senate, think back to what J. William Fulbright, as chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, did with his hearings on the Vietnam war—a war being carried out by his own party’s president. And think then of the current chairman of that committee, Senator Bob Corker, who is not running for re-election and thus in theory has nothing to fear from any opponent, PAC, or donor.

Any two senators could decide, temporarily, to declare themselves independent and “caucus with the Democrats” and thus shift operational control of the Senate from Republican hands to the Democrats’. The chairmanship of every committee would change. So would the majority lineup in every one of those committees. Hearings, subpoenas—these could be used to call Trump to account, rather than to avert public eyes.

The two senators who had thus shifted control could still vote with Republicans on issues they cared about, from budget matters from the Kavanaugh nomination. But they could switch the machinery of this powerful part of the legislative branch back toward the check-and-balance function that at least two of them know is necessary. (At least two? Think of what Jeff Flake has said, and Bob Corker, and Ben Sasse.)

But 55 days before the election, not a one of these 51 people has dared act. Not after the “anonymous” op-ed in The New York Times; not after Bob Woodward’s Fear (and the dozen previous books to similar effect); not after … anything.

One of the senators I’ve often mentioned as an example of talking a lot, but doing very little to stand up to Trump, recently phoned me up, unhappy. “OK, it’s easy to criticize, but what exactly do you expect me to do?” he asked. I said, “Of course I’m not a legislator. But it looks from outside as if you could hold a hearing. Or hold up something the administration wanted. Or even—even—vote with the other side, if you thought the danger was really as great as you say.”

I inferred an “oh, sure” eye-roll through the phone line. The senator pointed out that steps like those would represent a total challenge to the party. The lesson I took was that if senators are going to think of themselves as party loyalists apart from anything else—apart from local concerns in their state, apart from historic positions of their own party, apart from what their own judgment said, apart from anything except what Donald Trump wants—then voters should rationally make their choices on party-ID above all. A Republican in the Congress will stand alongside Trump, whatever direction Trump goes. A Democrat may challenge him. That’s the choice.

Will anything about GOP bashfulness change in the next 55 days, or through the month-plus after that in which this Congress will still have power? Will one of them act, or even two?

I don’t know, but as with the original Time Capsules I’ll try to record this every day or two, for the long-term record. History is being made in real time.

Edited by retread

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

It’s become pretty obvious that the trump-Russian crime syndicate has some pretty good blackmail material on old Lindsey Graham. Probably let him know all about it over a friendly round of golf.

its how these guys operate. Trump sucks at it but his partners/masters have it down pat. 

Graham has an interesting dating history. Or lack thereof.  Would not be surprised about blackmail. 

9 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Has Graham ever visited Russia? Because if so that basically clinches it. He’s compromised. 

I don’t think Graham is compromised.  He’s just playing for favor with Trump.  Graham is traditionally a Russia hardliner. 

Everyone knows Graham is probably gay, no one cares. 

23 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Is Dotard under the impression that his moron voters have suddenly become wealthy? His asshole already wealthy voters got more wealthy. 

Don't you know, he told them they would do better, then he did some stuff and said they were doing better. So yes they all believe their better off even if absolutely nothing has changed for them. And, they believe thay things will go back to being worse (or in reality stay the same) if the don't vote GOP. Welcome to the ignorance is Trump's followers. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Is Dotard under the impression that his moron voters have suddenly become wealthy? His asshole already wealthy voters got more wealthy. 

Trump is just preparing to shift the blame for the inevitable crash that he has made worse with his economic policies.   That's his whole game — mortgage the country for a temporary boost to an already strong economy, claim credit for being the greatest economic president ever, and then blame others when the crash comes. 

9 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Trump is just preparing to shift the blame for the inevitable crash that he has made worse with his economic policies.   That's his whole game — mortgage the country for a temporary boost to an already strong economy, claim credit for being the greatest economic president ever, and then blame others when the crash comes. 

It's a good plan for the GOP politically. They give the economy an unnecessary boost, aren't in power when the recession inevitably hits, let Dems take the blame, then storm back in and repeat the process. 

• Like 1

https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-debt-infrastructure-plan-963f975e-a8c4-4560-a517-c68d94de9dc6.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=organic

Donald Trump wants to rebuild America’s infrastructure the same way he built his buildings: debt, debt and more debt. His then-economic adviser, Gary Cohn, learned this the hard way in a fraught meeting last year, the details of which haven’t been previously reported.

What happened: As Cohn and his team were putting together their $1.5 trillion infrastructure package, Cohn tried to use a real estate analogy to sell Trump on his plan to pair public and private investment. It backfired.

The Cohn plan proposed leveraging $200 billion of federal investment into a $1.5 trillion overall infrastructure package — with state and local governments and the private sector making up the difference.

Trump was skeptical. 

Instead, he just wanted the federal government to borrow tons of money for infrastructure projects. He was especially obsessed with overhauling his hometown airport LaGuardia, which he calls "Third World."

The President horrified some Republicans in an October 2017 meeting with members of Congress at the White House when he told the Democrats that he liked their plan of massive public investment in infrastructure, according to a source in the room.

"We've just gotta spend money on this," Trump said, according to the source.

"He wants to govern like Robert Moses, but Republicans won't let him," the source added, referring to the titanic public official known as the "master builder" of mid-20th century New York City.

Cohn tried to win Trump over with a real estate analogy, according to two sources familiar with their conversation. "Think about when you're putting up a building, you put down $50 million of your own money to leverage several hundred million," Cohn told Trump.

The president scoffed. He told Cohn that when he was building, he'd never be so stupid as to put down his own money. He'd borrow the first installment from one bank and borrow the rest from another bank.

Cohn told associates afterwards that he'd never have supported such an idea when he worked at Goldman Sachs. "I'm a 30% equity guy," Cohn told associates after the conversation. "He [Trump] is 100% leverage."

Why this matters: During his career as a real estate magnate, Trump proudly called himself the "King of Debt." Now, he's the President of Debt — stimulating the economy by slashing taxes and jacking up defense spending without doing anything serious to rein in entitlement spending.

A source familiar with Trump's private conversations with Republican members tells me it's going too far to say he doesn't care at all about debt. "When he talks to [Rep. Mark] Meadows and Freedom Caucus members, he's very sensitive to the sense that we're accumulating as much debt as the Obama years," the source said.

But the proof is in the numbers: Under Trump, the U.S national debt has passed the $21 trillion mark.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

What a cunt.  If you are a Trump supporter at this point, that mark will always be with you. Always.  It will determine in a quick and irrefutable way who has character and who has none. 

Fascinating the number of fake Christians and fake Patriots so easily outed now.

• Like 5

Graham has an interesting dating history. Or lack thereof.  Would not be surprised about blackmail. 

So Lindsey, you ever hear about a bar in Myrtle Beach called the Cockpit? No, yeah me neither. But there’s this bartender there that keeps calling me about this teenager he had to kick out. The boy kept talking about you for some reason. President Trump asked me to look into it personally. I’ll take care if it after your interview on Fox.