COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

8 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I'm not minimizing COVID, i'm saying Fentanyl overdoses killed damn near double the amount of people in that age group as COVID did.  That's it.  It's not minimizing COVID, it's putting it into perspective.  Perspective has been the topic of conversation the last several pages.  

What is your point? What is the perspective? 

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

What is your point? What is the perspective? 

That other shit is killing people at alarming rates as well.  Strange that OD deaths were up damn near 50% coinciding with lockdown measures but so many fail to realize how separation truly fucked so many people. Then look at suicides, preventable deaths from other items that were deemed elective.  Covid killed a lot of people, but so did life, and so did bullshit 

Edited by blacklab
user taking day off for attempting to cr thread
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

That other shit is killing people at alarming rates as well.  Strange that OD deaths were up damn near 50% coinciding with lockdown measures but so many fail to realize how separation truly fucked so many people. Then look at suicides, preventable deaths from other items that were deemed elective.  Covid killed a lot of people, but so did life, and so did bullshit 

Is anyone against preventing cancer, suicide, or addressing drug addiction? Is anyone arguing that lockdowns didn’t suck?

Or are you trying to make the point that the amount of deaths, specifically the increase in suicides, overdoses, and preventable deaths from other items that were deemed elective (whatever that means) was not worth it? The Covid deaths weren’t enough to justify a lockdown?

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Is anyone against preventing cancer, suicide, or addressing drug addiction? Is anyone arguing that lockdowns didn’t suck?

Or are you trying to make the point that the amount of deaths, specifically the increase in suicides, overdoses, and preventable deaths from other items that were deemed elective (whatever that means) was not worth it? The Covid deaths weren’t enough to justify a lockdown?

How many deaths did the lockdowns save? 

Edited by blacklab
user taking day off for attempting to cr thread

17 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

How many deaths did the lockdowns save? 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-lockdowns-idUSKBN23F1G3

The Imperial team estimated that by early May, between 12 and 15 million people in total in Austria, Belgium, Britain, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland - around 4% of their combined population - had been infected with COVID-19.

By comparing the number of deaths counted with deaths predicted by their model if no lockdown measures had been introduced, they found some 3.1 million deaths were averted.

Can I do anything else for you? Or would you like to move the goalposts?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Also, while there was an increase of OD deaths, 

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/nchs_press_releases/2021/20211117.htm

Provisional data from CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics indicate that there were an estimated 100,306 drug overdose deaths in the United States during 12-month period ending in April 2021, an increase of 28.5% from the 78,056 deaths during the same period the year before.

There was actually a decrease in suicides 

https://psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.pn.2021.6.15

On 12/27/2021 at 10:04 PM, Larry T. Spider said:

Tested positive 5 days ago. Tested again today and I’m still positive. The thing is, I had already made it through the worst of it when I got the first positive test. It’s probably close to 10 days now.

My son went through the same.  Spiked a fever, chills, fatigue, tested negative.  Slept for 36 hours, more or less.  Felt better.  Finally tested positive.  Took another 4 days to test negative.

Now my daughter has a 101.5 F fever, and has tested negative.  Girl, stay in your room, you got the 'vid.  I fully expect that test to swing positive in a day or two.

It’s weird how this virus effects people so differently. My wife and I both became symptomatic on the same day (with basically everyone else in New York). I ran 100-101 for 3-4 days, and then was pretty much fine outside of fatigue, taste and some mild shortness of breath. We’re on day 14, and my wife has had 99-100 every single day, and today ran up to 101. Early 30s, good shape, vaxxed and boosted, sleeping a ton, but just can’t seem to shake it. Frustrating.

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

It’s weird how this virus effects people so differently. My wife and I both became symptomatic on the same day (with basically everyone else in New York). I ran 100-101 for 3-4 days, and then was pretty much fine outside of fatigue, taste and some mild shortness of breath. We’re on day 14, and my wife has had 99-100 every single day, and today ran up to 101. Early 30s, good shape, vaxxed and boosted, sleeping a ton, but just can’t seem to shake it. Frustrating.

Yeah my girlfriends daughter has basically had a headache and runny nose but that’s it and no fever. She’s staying home but hasn’t tested but I know she has it. She wanted to come visit this week. Just no. Her boyfriend, his sister, their mom and the rest of the family all have it after testing. They’ve all run low to moderate fevers. Boyfriend who is 28 got blue lips he was having so much trouble breathing. They were all together for 5-10 days in Texas and then Colorado over Xmas. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. Oh, none of them are vaxxed despite our best efforts with my girlfriend’s daughter. I can’t explain the idiocy with the rest of them.

Spent Christmas in Denver with my wife's family.  Drove down today to spend New Year's with a buddy and his family in Angel Fire.  Got in late afternoon, had dinner, kids played, etc.

We found out tonight that one of the people we had Christmas Eve and Christmas with tested positive on the 27th.  When we found out, my family moved to the basement to stay away from my buddy's.  We had a couple of home tests and I took one and am negative.  My wife is going to take one in the morning to give it more time and I hope she's negative.  This will be a really quick trip to Angel Fire if not.

43 minutes ago, blacklab said:

a few people from the previous page are taking a day off for trying to cr this thread. 

if you want to discuss lockdowns or just ask questions go to the cr

You missed one, but I’ll allow it. Thanks.

edit. Nvmnd you got him too.

Edited by justhookit

2 hours ago, CowtownHorn said:

Me, my wife, and daughter all have it right now. All fully vaccinated. I’m on Day 6 of symptoms and can confirm…covid sucks ass. Haven’t felt this shitty in a long time. 🤘

Booster or no? How is the rest of the house doing? Any idea where you picked it up?

Got Delta a few months back. Felt pretty rough for 3-4 days, followed by a cough for a month. So you have that to look forward to possibly!

7 hours ago, Stringer said:

Spent Christmas in Denver with my wife's family.  Drove down today to spend New Year's with a buddy and his family in Angel Fire.  Got in late afternoon, had dinner, kids played, etc.

We found out tonight that one of the people we had Christmas Eve and Christmas with tested positive on the 27th.  When we found out, my family moved to the basement to stay away from my buddy's.  We had a couple of home tests and I took one and am negative.  My wife is going to take one in the morning to give it more time and I hope she's negative.  This will be a really quick trip to Angel Fire if not.

I don’t think the at home tests will tell you much if you aren’t symptomatic 

A bit of a CSB, but also a bit of a weird Covid thing.  Wife and I had horrible cases of food poisoning last week.  Sunday and Monday are a total blur of Exorcist-level projectile vomiting and worse.  Highish (103) fever, chills, extreme fatigue, body aches, extreme headaches, etc. Sickest I personally have ever been in my life. 

But then the kids (15 yo) got it on Tuesday and Wednesday (about 3-4 after us), even though  they didn’t share a meal with us in the relevant time. Christmas was fantastic for them.  Kids opening presents laying on the bathroom floor and that sort of thing. 

And, 10 days in, the wife and I still have intermittent low-grade fever and fatigue during the day.  Kids have periods of extreme fatigue but no fever we’ve seen.  

Weirder still, my 74 yo MIL who lives with us has no symptoms still - despite lots of contact immediately prior to illness, especially with the kids. 

So my doc made us go in and take a Covid test at our day 4 when the kids got sick.  Negative.  Kids took home tests.  Negative. Same for day 7.  But he still suspects Covid.  

Wife’s doc, who practices at the same place, has all but said that’s not possible. It’s a norovirus, albeit a worse one than usual. But before the kids got sick she was also equally adamant that it was absolutely foodborne.

My doc has thought Covid basically from the jump.  He says in a month I will show positive for N antibodies and he will be vindicated.  Neighbor who is a epidemiologist feels like my guy is probably right. 

So I am never coming in contact with anyone else ever again.  But has anyone else ever seen symptom profile like this from Covid?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

A bit of a CSB, but also a bit of a weird Covid thing.  Wife and I had horrible cases of food poisoning last week.  Sunday and Monday are a total blur of Exorcist-level projectile vomiting and worse.  Highish (103) fever, chills, extreme fatigue, body aches, extreme headaches, etc. Sickest I personally have ever been in my life. 

But then the kids (15 yo) got it on Tuesday and Wednesday (about 3-4 after us), even though  they didn’t share a meal with us in the relevant time. Christmas was fantastic for them.  Kids opening presents laying on the bathroom floor and that sort of thing. 

And, 10 days in, the wife and I still have intermittent low-grade fever and fatigue during the day.  Kids have periods of extreme fatigue but no fever we’ve seen.  

Weirder still, my 74 yo MIL who lives with us has no symptoms still - despite lots of contact immediately prior to illness, especially with the kids. 

So my doc made us go in and take a Covid test at our day 4 when the kids got sick.  Negative.  Kids took home tests.  Negative. Same for day 7.  But he still suspects Covid.  

Wife’s doc, who practices at the same place, has all but said that’s not possible. It’s a norovirus, albeit a worse one than usual. But before the kids got sick she was also equally adamant that it was absolutely foodborne.

My doc has thought Covid basically from the jump.  He says in a month I will show positive for N antibodies and he will be vindicated.  Neighbor who is a epidemiologist feels like my guy is probably right. 

So I am never coming in contact with anyone else ever again.  But has anyone else ever seen symptom profile like this from Covid?

I've been feeling a lesser version of your symptoms since Monday, I'm pretty sure I got a stomach bug from my nephew, since his dad was just getting over it when I saw them over the weekend. Off and on low grade fever, at home tests have shown negative twice. I'd like to find a testing place in Houston I won't have to wait more than half an hour, but sites have been slammed since Christmas

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Booster or no? How is the rest of the house doing? Any idea where you picked it up?

Got Delta a few months back. Felt pretty rough for 3-4 days, followed by a cough for a month. So you have that to look forward to possibly!

None of us had the booster yet. We were at Six Flags early last week. I’m almost positive that’s where we picked it up.

I’ve been reading that those who have had the vaccine and then contracted a breakthrough case of covid should have the strongest resistance to the virus going forward. So I guess that’s one good thing to come out of it. I think I’ve had all of the symptoms, except for vomiting. The worst has been the sore throat, coughing, and drowsiness. It’s no joke, that’s for sure.

I work in the healthcare industry (admin work) and I'm completely confused with the recommendations on when you are exposed to someone who discovers they're covid positive.

Obviously if I immediately have symptoms, that's the easiest path: assume I have COVID and get tested ASAP. Take all necessary precautions to self-isolate.

But what if I don't have symptoms?

• How many days should I wait to get tested?
    • Should I take multiple tests over an extended period, assuming each test is negative?
  • Is it possible to get others sick when you remain asymptomatic and haven't had a positive test yet? (assuming you ultimately have covid.)

One of the problems is that daily or semi-weekly testing isnt feasible for most people. I can appreciate that medical experts revise recommendations as they get new information but I struggle to follow.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I've been feeling a lesser version of your symptoms since Monday, I'm pretty sure I got a stomach bug from my nephew, since his dad was just getting over it when I saw them over the weekend. Off and on low grade fever, at home tests have shown negative twice. I'd like to find a testing place in Houston I won't have to wait more than half an hour, but sites have been slammed since Christmas

The City of Houston is supposed to be running a mega-testing site at Del Mar Stadium (290 & 610.) The good news is that they're requiring appointments so its help with time management. No link but should look into it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I work in the healthcare industry (admin work) and I'm completely confused with the recommendations on when you are exposed to someone who discovers they're covid positive.

Obviously if I immediately have symptoms, that's the easiest path: assume I have COVID and get tested ASAP. Take all necessary precautions to self-isolate.

• Should I take multiple tests over an extended period, assuming each test is negative?
  • Is it possible to get others sick when you remain asymptomatic and haven't had a positive test yet? (assuming you ultimately have covid.)

One of the problems is that daily or semi-weekly testing isnt feasible for most people. I can appreciate that medical experts revise recommendations as they get new information but I struggle to follow.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s1227-isolation-quarantine-guidance.html

16 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Was going to say this. A real nasty stomach bug has been going around and decimated my wife and kids over the past few weeks. Horrible vomiting all night and now my 2yo has stopped vomiting but has some awful shits. So many of my friends have been dealing with this too. Negative on COVID.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

My wife and daughter had all of those symptoms early on with the virus. And I had all of those except for vomiting. I think we’re all almost near full recovery now. It’s been nearly a week since we first started showing symptoms. 

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think symptoms should show up after 48 hours so that's when you could test. Had a similar experience after a potential exposure but after 3 days and no symptoms we still tested negative so went on about our business.

I'm not sure it's conclusive but with no symptoms and especially testing negative I think the risk of passing it on would be just about zero.

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The City of Houston is supposed to be running a mega-testing site at Del Mar Stadium (290 & 610.) The good news is that they're requiring appointments so its help with time management. No link but should look into it.

FWIW, it looks like it's all through Curative, and their first available appointment is on Sunday

Edited by Captainant

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

That doesn’t sound like food poisoning. Sounds more like Norwalk virus (Norovirus).

ETA Skipper beat me to it.

About a dozen years ago around this same time we had Norwalk run through our extended family who were all staying together over the holidays.

Nasty bug.

Edited by DDD Dad

21 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I'm going to complain, because Austin Public Health is using "Covid hospitalizations" as the basis for its entire staging regime.  So at least here in Austin, we're going to pop up to Stage 5 based on a bunch of people with heart arrhythmias testing positive for Covid after they get to the hospital.

Oh, and T&Ps to @DDD Dad on the damage done to his wine collection.

Scary

But got to read the article

However, he said, his hospital has seen a lot of kids test positive for Covid without necessarily showing symptoms or getting sick.

"We test anybody who’s admitted to the hospital for whatever reason to see whether or not they have Covid, and we’re definitely seeing an increase in cases. However, we’re really not seeing an increase in children who are hospitalized for Covid or in the intensive care unit for Covid," Offit said.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Scary

Seems like what we've seen, which means our data is shit -- hospitalized with covid vs. hospitalized for covid.  The first is, at most, an indicator of the rate of infection.  The second is an indication of disease severity....but is not the number being reported.  The "with covid" number is what we're getting.

Seriously, the data remains shitty.  That kind of blows me away.  2 years into this, and we can't generate the actual helpful data.

• Hook 'Em 4

Buddy's wife tested positive today. He is just assuming he has it and they are going to hunker down for 10 days. Sucks since his house is our traditional 31st location. I may go and drop off a stew for them. Don't need to make a great one since they cannot taste anything. 

I wouldn’t assume. I got it and none of the other three people in my house did, and for the first few days I just thought I had cold and wasn’t taking any particular precautions. Those were the most contagious days too. Same thing happened with a coworker: family of five and only dad got it.

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

I wouldn’t assume. I got it and none of the other three people in my house did, and for the first few days I just thought I had cold and wasn’t taking any particular precautions. Those were the most contagious days too. Same thing happened with a coworker: family of five and only dad got it.

These stories were pretty common with the original virus and previous variants. 

Here’s a bunch of info that you might find helpful:

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

If you can hook in with a doctor at the Sunset Clinic they do 3 hr result and the longer tests for their patients with a one-day wait right now. 

Mchllp.com. 

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Scary

"Children have been hospitalized at nearly twice the rate of adults in the past 4 weeks."  Incredibly misleading fear porn headline.  The most shocking part of the story to me is that we averaging only 2,000 hospitalized children (40 per state up from 25 per state) who have tested positive for COVID, particularly in a nation with as much childhood obesity and asthma as the US.          

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, alincoln said:

"Children have been hospitalized at nearly twice the rate of adults in the past 4 weeks."  Incredibly misleading fear porn headline.  The most shocking part of the story to me is that we averaging only 2,000 hospitalized children (40 per state up from 25 per state) who have tested positive for COVID, particularly in a nation with as much childhood obesity and asthma as the US.          

Agreed.  Should read as “vaccination works. See? We’ve reduced hospitalization to the point the kids have caught up.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Covid had been giving my family a miss, but not anymore.  My daughter and her fiancé felt like shit Monday after returning from seeing his family in Wisconsin.  They tested Monday, and found out yesterday they are Covid positive.  They are young and healthy, and both already starting to feel better, so I'm not too worried about them.  Still...

But wait!  There's more!  Got a text from one of my brothers yesterday morning that he tested positive that morning.  He and his wife had been at our family get together Sunday, so now my wife and I are getting tested to see if we can go up to see her folks this weekend.  And I worry about my 89 year old dad, too.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Agreed.  Should read as “vaccination works. See? We’ve reduced hospitalization to the point the kids have caught up.”

That would be almost as stupid a headline.  The headline should be "Risk of hospitalization of children due to Covid remains extremely low"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1