COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

Had , I think, RSV first 3 weeks of the year. Head cold followed by a couple days of coughing so much it felt like I did 1000 abdominal crunches. And then a couple weeks of chest congestion. Much worse than my Covid experience 

• Hook 'Em 1

Last week I contracted covid, just a few days before going for my booster. Ha. Headaches, chills for one night, congestion, cough, and fatigue.

3/5th of my house got sick. Fortunately, we were only really sick for 3 days, and mildly sick for 1-3 more.

I would like to thank everyone for making this possible,

What if your Covid-19 booster had a fax machine chip in it instead of 5G?  Asking for a friend.

Man, anecdotal and all but RSV is fucking burning through our school/church/kids sports teams.  Fucking, fuck.  I know the year or two after large pandemics always presents new bugs of less lethal illnesses but this is fucking nuts.  Half the kids I see/hear in public, I legit expect them to ask me for a light for their next carton of Marlboro unfilterds.  

On 2/3/2024 at 1:55 PM, Incredulity said:

Wasn’t a rapid test.  They sent diagnosis next day

That's good, likely a PCR test. Much more accurate than the rapid point of care testing unless the facility has a higher level testing ability and can run PCR in the facility (i.e. emergency room with lab attached). Of course, if you find out you have RSV then there's not much to do except take care of yourself and watch for secondary complications. There's no antiviral for RSV. The new adult RSV vaccines (older and high risk adults) are really good BTW.

8 hours ago, Nivek said:

Last week I contracted covid, just a few days before going for my booster. Ha. Headaches, chills for one night, congestion, cough, and fatigue.

3/5th of my house got sick. Fortunately, we were only really sick for 3 days, and mildly sick for 1-3 more.

I would like to thank everyone for making this possible,

Covid Compromise

When my twins were about a year old, before they figured out mouth breathing, they got RSV.  2 weeks of hell for all of us, including a late night ER trip where I got to hold them each down with a sheet while they had their lungs aspirated.  Allegedly it’s only dangerous to the really young and old. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Rage+1 2

"boosters" or '23-'24 version on the mRNA vaccines? I assume it would be bigger news if the new vaccine wasn't working.

Doesn’t appear to be a strong relationship between boosting and cases at this point. 
"boosters" or '23-'24 version on the mRNA vaccines? I assume it would be bigger news if the new vaccine wasn't working.

of my 7 member family - me, and two of my sons still have not caught the covids. the wife, daughter, and two other sons have had it. all are up to date on boosters and most recent vax. the ones who got it were in NYC or coming from a conference. all had very mild flu / cold like symptoms that resolved within a few days.

is it too bold to think i might just make it without ever catching the vid?

34 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

of my 7 member family - me, and two of my sons still have not caught the covids. the wife, daughter, and two other sons have had it. all are up to date on boosters and most recent vax. the ones who got it were in NYC or coming from a conference. all had very mild flu / cold like symptoms that resolved within a few days.

Perhaps that's your reward for having to deal with raising five children.  You'll never retire, but you'll never get covid.  Congrats!  

• Haha 2

On 2/4/2024 at 7:16 PM, Anastasis said:

Doesn’t appear to be a strong relationship between boosting and cases at this point. 

Just heard the craziest COVID people I know (somewhat friend of my wife and her husband) contracted COVID for a documented 4th (or maybe 5th?) time (I'm guessing they test about 50X per year with every sniffle). Under 40, completely healthy, have gotten every booster within days of it being available, never had an issue with actual COVID beyond a minor inconvenience (including multiple confirmed infections before Paxlovid existed), and I heard they immediately went and got a Paxlovid prescription in a panic.  Just blows my mind how some people loaded with antibodies and actual experience with the disease still fear it like its April 2020.  It just broke some people.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I heard a new one last week - the only potential "bonus" of cigarette smoking is that nicotine prevents covid infections.

What in the actual fuck?

I suspect that stems from this:  https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33420786/#:~:text=Conclusions%3A Current smoking status was,CoV-2 requires further research.

It makes no fucking sense to me whatsoever, and I'm a former heavy smoker.   I also don't think this study is remotely definitive, and I'd be shocked if it isn't tied to the tobacco industry somehow, but I think it spurred this line of thinking after journalists and YouTubers took it and ran with it as they are wont to do.

Edited by Samson's Wig
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Sigh, if only the craziest thing to come out of Covid was people being overly-cautious.

I'm sorry.  Someone healthy, under 40, with 6 or 7X vax antibodies plus 3 or 4X natural antibodies (in a 3.5 year period) getting a prescription drug that is not recommended for them (i.e., no "high risk") is not "cautious". It's a complete inability to understand or evaluate risk.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Just heard the craziest COVID people I know (somewhat friend of my wife and her husband) contracted COVID for a documented 4th (or maybe 5th?) time (I'm guessing they test about 50X per year with every sniffle). Under 40, completely healthy, have gotten every booster within days of it being available, never had an issue with actual COVID beyond a minor inconvenience (including multiple confirmed infections before Paxlovid existed), and I heard they immediately went and got a Paxlovid prescription in a panic.  Just blows my mind how some people loaded with antibodies and actual experience with the disease still fear it like its April 2020.  It just broke some people.

Can you pinpoint the downside(s) of paxlovid?  Why the fuck do you care what approved medications people take?

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'm sorry.  Someone healthy, under 40, with 6 or 7X vax antibodies plus 3 or 4X natural antibodies (in a 3.5 year period) getting a prescription drug that is not recommended for them (i.e., no "high risk") is not "cautious". It's a complete inability to understand or evaluate risk.

No need to be sorry. I would agree with your assessment. I just don't really see the issue, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Can you pinpoint the downside(s) of paxlovid?  Why the fuck do you care what approved medications people take?

Here you go. 

• an altered or impaired sense of taste.
  • diarrhea.
  • increased blood pressure.
  • muscle aches.
  • abdominal pain.
  • nausea.
  • feeling generally unwell.

I don't "care" per se.   It's an evaluation that COVID has completely broken some people's brains (i.e., Exhibit A of absolute "lowest" risk (young, healthy, 10+ combined natural/vax antibody and T cell memory creating exposures with no remotely concerning impact to date) yet still fear it as though they are high risk without any ability to differentiate or analyze that distinction). I can't imagine a well informed Dr. would actually prescribe a prescription drug targeted at high risk individuals in this scenario (but any doc in the box quack can obviously if you ask for it). 

• Hook 'Em 2

OK, can you pinpoint the risks of covid that is not managed as best as possible?

I'm not saying everyone should angle for paxlovid -- I literally just got over covid and didn't even go to the doc, and I'm 60 years old -- but I find your shaming of people for their approach to managing symptoms/severity/long-term effects really odd.  

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I heard a new one last week - the only potential "bonus" of cigarette smoking is that nicotine prevents covid infections.

What in the actual fuck?

There was a French study early on that showed smokers were less likely to get COVID. I thought all Frenchies smoked, so who knows?

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Here you go. 

• an altered or impaired sense of taste.
  • diarrhea.
  • increased blood pressure.
  • muscle aches.
  • abdominal pain.
  • nausea.
  • feeling generally unwell.

I don't "care" per se.   It's an evaluation that COVID has completely broken some people's brains (i.e., Exhibit A of absolute "lowest" risk (young, healthy, 10+ combined natural/vax antibody and T cell memory creating exposures with no remotely concerning impact to date) yet still fear it as though they are high risk without any ability to differentiate or analyze that distinction). I can't imagine a well informed Dr. would actually prescribe a prescription drug targeted at high risk individuals in this scenario (but any doc in the box quack can obviously if you ask for it). 

Are you a health care professional? Do you know the full medical history of these people?

If the answer to either of those questions is "no", what makes you more qualified than their primary care provider (or them) to be able judge which prescriptions are best for their situation?

I might also suggest that you ranting about the health care decisions others make which have zero impact on your well-being is cause for some self-reflection about how Covid affected your own mental state.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Are you a health care professional? Do you know the full medical history of these people?

If the answer to either of those questions is "no", what makes you more qualified than their primary care provider (or them) to be able judge which prescriptions are best for their situation?

I might also suggest that you ranting about the health care decisions others make which have zero impact on your well-being is cause for some self-reflection about how Covid affected your own mental state.

neil degrasse tyson we got a badass over here GIF

On 2/4/2024 at 6:10 PM, dcbc said:

Are you seeing a "PC Load Letter" message?

On 2/4/2024 at 6:15 PM, YGIFS said:

What the fuck does that mean?  

Why should I be the one to change my medication?  Fauci is the one who sucks!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

^^^^  Who the fuck cares as long as they are careful. Of all the things to worry or rant about how people deal with Covid is not one of them IMHO.

I am seeing a lot more people masking up, does not bother me one bit.

I mean, it's not like they're creating a risk of a drug-resistant strain by taking it, unlike those who put their kids on antibiotics at the first sign of a sniffle (and then don't even complete the course of treatment).

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Mormon or Catholic?

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

I prefer the overly cautious to the assholes who go out and put the vulnerable at risk when they're contagious. I don't think your friends are the broken ones.

Alright, clearly the local Covidians still lurk in any Covid topic.  I'll see my way back out. I just can't imagine living in the year 2024 in a low risk category and having a single ounce of anxiety about Covid.  I've had both COVID and flu the past 2 months or so, and just as I would have expected, flu was 5X the misery (and that is with getting the annual flu vax but no Covid booster since the OG shot).  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Perhaps that's your reward for having to deal with raising five children.  You'll never retire, but you'll never get covid.  Congrats!  

Yeah, you're right. 

40 minutes ago, royiv said:

Mormon or Catholic?

Haha... Neither. 

6 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Have you had antibody tests?

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

^^^^  Who the fuck cares as long as they are careful. Of all the things to worry or rant about how people deal with Covid is not one of them IMHO.

I am seeing a lot more people masking up, does not bother me one bit.

No shit.  Especially a made up story, ala aggie visitor.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

Alright, clearly the local Covidians still lurk in any Covid topic.  I'll see my way back out. I just can't imagine living in the year 2024 in a low risk category and having a single ounce of anxiety about Covid.  I've had both COVID and flu the past 2 months or so, and just as I would have expected, flu was 5X the misery (and that is with getting the annual flu vax but no Covid booster since the OG shot).  

so - you’re trying to say there is no global warning because you went skiing this year?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1