Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

from LHF twitter, RE aggy recruiting,

Texas A&M Football Recruiting
Weekend recruiting recap & temperature assessment in 2023 (Offense)
By Ryan BrauningerNovember 1, 2022
2.4k20Tweet
Texas A&M hosted recruits for the first time in 42 days last Saturday night. That's a long time, and it's almost an eternity in the recruiting world.

I said last week on TexAgs Radio that it was going to be a hugely important date for the Aggies and their efforts on the trail with just over a month remaining in the 2023 cycle. With just 12 verbal commitments, A&M had to find a way to create some sizzle, and the best way to do that was to get kids into Kyle Field for an evening showdown against a divisional rival.

While the result on the field wasn't what the Maroon & White faithful had hoped for, there were clearly more positive vibes emanating from the recruiting side than most probably anticipated.

For starters, the 12th Man did their part. They always do.

The support for the team and the program makes a difference and is a heavily-used selling point for the coaching and recruiting staff. It also helps drive home the points they make about post-graduate opportunities and the Aggie Network. It's hard for teenagers to see 5-10 years down the road, but they can see what's right in front of their face, especially when it's 100,000+ fans and a student section that's camping out for tickets to support a 3-5 football team.

Then, there's the youth movement that's currently taking place on the field.

The support for the team and the program makes a difference and is a heavily-used selling point for the coaching and recruiting staff. It also helps drive home the points they make about post-graduate opportunities and the Aggie Network.
The big story coming out of Saturday night was obviously the much-needed shot of life Conner Weigman gave to the offense. His effort (plus what you're getting from 18 or so other true freshmen) has/will become an important part of your recruiting message down the stretch. For instance, remember when Bravion Rogers‍ decommitted because LSU hammered him with the depth chart at cornerback in College Station? Well, look how many of those young defensive backs have played, including Rogers' good friend Jarred Kerr. It's much of the same strategy Oklahoma was taking with David Hicks‍. We know how that turned out once Hicks saw how many of those 2022 signees have been seeing significant reps this season. More on Rogers and Hicks in a moment.

Jason and I have spoken to a large number of kids who were on campus, as well as sources that were in or around the visits. From what we've been able to gather, the response has been upbeat and positive due to the two aforementioned points above.

The last piece to that equation, based on my reading of the situation, was some of the individual sit-downs the recruits had with Jimbo Fisher. In one instance, I was told a top offensive skill prospect asked the Aggie head man directly about how open the offense would be going forward because what he had seen on the field Saturday had sort of reignited his interest. Again, the recipe of showing instead of telling can pay dividends.

Let's take a look at where things stand in the 2023 class. I'll break this down by position and hopefully be able to give you more specifics about individual recruitments and where things stand for this class with about 45 days until pen meets paper in December. We'll do offense today and look at the defense tomorrow.

Quarterback
Committed: 0
Need: 1

The net has hardly broadened here, with no new offers at the position in quite some time.

The coaching staff is still communicating with Drippings Springs standout and Baylor commit Austin Novosad‍, who decided to stick with the Bears over the summer after hearing overtures from A&M, Notre Dame and Ohio State. You have to wonder what would have happened if the Aggies had made their offer soon after losing the verbal pledge of Eli Holstein‍ back in the spring. I don't think there's any doubt it would have given them a better chance at success in the recruitment, considering how close they came to getting him in August. It's good to see they've continued their pursuit, though, as it validates their summer sales pitch of Novosad being their top guy in the cycle. The buzz surrounding Malachi Nelson‍ has died down completely, and even though we've heard some names in passing both in-state and nationally in the last couple of weeks, we haven't gotten anything with enough legs to report on just yet.

That might change in the near future, but as I said, the scope for a signal caller remains pretty small.

Running Back
Need: At least 1

Another position where there haven't been any new offers go out in a while.

TexAgs
Reescano was back in College Station this weekend, but the Aggies did not extend an offer to the former Michigan State pledge.
New Caney's Kedrick Reescano‍ decommitted from Michigan State last Thursday and then visited Texas A&M over the weekend. All of my sources in greater Houston thought the Aggies would move on an offer while Reescano was on campus. That didn't happen, and now all the momentum is with Ole Miss — the perceived favorite heading into the weekend. Now, the offer may end up going out at some point, but similar to Novosad, you have to wonder how it will affect A&M's chances if it doesn't happen in relatively short order.

What would the situation be if the Aggies had moved on Reescano after Roderick Robinson‍ and Jeremiyah Love‍ had gone off the board? It's impossible to know that, but you have to wonder. I understand being cautious in some cases, but they've got to have a prep running back in this class, especially when you consider what the position may look like in a month or two. Texas A&M has not slowed down their pursuit of El Campo's Rueben Owens‍, but Louisville's recent run of form has quieted the talk surrounding their head coach, thus making Owens a tougher egg to crack.

Based on what I've heard, it sounds like Texas will have a tough time holding on to Cedric Baxter Jr.‍, but if he does back away from the Longhorns, I suspect the first looks will go to the home-state Gators and Seminoles.

Depending on what transpires after the season, this is a spot where I could see the Aggies needing to find a back in the transfer portal.

Offensive Line
Committed: 4
Need: 5

Colton Thomasson‍ ain't going anywhere. He's as solid a Texas A&M verbal commitment as I've ever covered. He was back in College Station last weekend and doing all he could to help the Aggies on the recruiting front. Great kid. Great family. He’s an Aggie through and through.

TJ Shanahan‍ couldn't make it this weekend. He's just coming off surgery to fix the left knee he injured against Dripping Springs a few weeks back. I'm told he's expected to be in Aggieland this weekend for the Florida game, and he was in contact with the coaching staff and commits on Saturday and Sunday of last weekend. As things stand today, I think Shanahan will sign with Texas A&M. However, I believe the offense will have to show the same promise it did on Saturday night for this one to be a comfortable ride into the finish line. He has very close ties with members of both the coaching and recruiting staff in College Station.

@CBisontis/Twitter
Bisontis committed to A&M on July 24 and was the second offensive lineman to join the Aggies’ 2023 class.
In today's recruiting landscape, you do have to monitor what's being done on social media, and Chase Bisontis‍ removing all references to Texas A&M on Instagram is a cause for concern. Of all the offensive linemen committed, he was always going to be the most difficult one to hold, regardless of how the current season played out. He's a New Jersey kid that was nationally recruited and hasn't been able to get down to campus for a game this season. If the staff can find a way to get him to Kyle Field, I think that would certainly help things in a big way. If not, this recruitment looks like it's going to be a dogfight down the stretch.

They have to find a true offensive tackle in the class. Bisontis certainly has the skillset to play out there, but all the talk we've heard is about him playing on the interior at the next level. However, even if he sticks on the outside, I think the staff would like to find another tackle prospect in the class. Philadelphia's Naquil Betrand‍ (who was back in town for the first time since July) is committed and has the frame and physical attributes of a tackle, but he's going to need some time to get ready to play. It seems like he's more on the Dametrious Crownover plan. We haven't heard much in the way of Caden Jones‍. The New Orleans product has seemingly been stuck between the Aggies and Florida. Jones doesn't do a ton of media, so it has been more difficult to get a grasp of where things stand. As we've mentioned before, he's related to former A&M defensive tackle Marcus Jasmin.

While it looks like the Aggies may return their entire two-deep up front, this feels like a position where the staff will dip into the transfer portal this offseason to fill a specific need.

Tight End
Need: 0

Grabbing Donovan Green and Jake Johnson last cycle and then having Theo Melin Öhrström reclassify has negated the need for a 2023 tight end. This seems like a spot where the staff would utilize the portal should a need pop up during the offseason.

Wide Receiver
Need: At least 3

Wide out may be the hardest position to take a temperature on right now.

New offer Taeshaun Lyons‍ is expected to make a trip to campus soon, but there just isn't a lot of substantial intel about where the Aggies are going to go to fill out their group this cycle. Converse Judson speedster and Oklahoma commit Anthony Evans‍ was scheduled to be in town but wasn't in attendance. A central Texas source thought there was a good possibility that he would reschedule for later in the season, but that has not been confirmed.

@1typeandy/Twitter
Jean committed to Florida on July 30, but Dameyune Craig recently visited the Gator pledge as A&M continues its pursuit.
There have been brief flirtations with Zachariah Branch‍ and Johntay Cook‍ at different points this cycle, but it seems like those two have gotten more locked into their respective commitments as the season has gone in. The Aggies are still working on Fort Lauderdale (FL) playmaker Hykeem Williams‍, though that seems like a long shot at this juncture. We have heard Florida commit Andy Jean‍ has been receptive recently. We'll keep an eye on him, especially if he turns up on campus between now and mid-December. Dameyune Craig was recently in the Sunshine State to see both Jean and Eugene Wilson‍.

Adam Hopkins‍ is a kid that was highly interested in the Aggies going back to last spring. He ultimately committed to Auburn, but you'd have to wonder where things stand there after the firing of Bryan Harsin and multiple members of his staff. We'll see if A&M re-engages there.

Then, there are guys like Jakoby Banks‍ (Houston commit) at Fort Bend Marshall and Noble Johnson‍ (Clemson commit) at Rockwall, who both already hold offers that we may see the Aggie staff circle back on.

Personally, I wouldn’t hate it if they decided to offer an under-the-radar type like David Amador‍ at North Shore. That kid has made enormous plays in the biggest moments for three years against top-flight competition, and I think he’ll do the same type of stuff at the collegiate level. He’s what you would describe as a “winning player.” You have to land elite prospects (and A&M has), but sometimes you need football players. Amador fits that bill.

There are a lot of unknowns at wide receiver, and because of that uncertainty, this feels like a prime portal spot. We'll see how it all breaks down between now and February

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

Not sure if the right thread, but this was a Finebaum article on Jimbo's buyout. I can't remember, is he an admin mouthpiece? is this actually worth monitoring?

(again, from @Longhornfrenzy twitter)

Spoiler

Paul Finebaum identifies issue for Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M's next move with buyout, contract
By BRAD CRAWFORD

Four consecutive losses and counting for Texas A&M put the spotlight on Jimbo Fisher as one of this season's most disappointing coaches across college football as the leader of a program that agreed to a record-setting contract upon his arrival. With Fisher's buyout exceeding $85 million, there's no chance the Aggies can afford to make a move according to ESPN's Paul Finebaum, who torched the program's disastrous campaign under his watch.

Texas A&M gave up nearly 400 yards rushing in Saturday's loss to Ole Miss and ranks at the bottom of the SEC in several offensive categories this season.

"I don’t know how Texas A&M boosters think. I have no earthly idea," Finebaum said on this week's ESPN college football podcast. "I mean, we can joke about them having all the money in the world, but nobody wants to spend this kind of money to buy a guy out. Why did he get one extension after last season?"

Subscribe to 247Sports YouTube for the latest college football, basketball and recruiting news including live college commitments.

Here's what Finebaum said about Fisher's future along with the head coach's thoughts coming out of the loss to Ole Miss.

ON FISHER'S FALL FROM GRACE
“I sit with people every weekend and everyone still refers to him as a great coach and a great offensive play caller and I’m trying to figure out where they’re seeing that I don’t. I realize there are including Heisman-winning quarterbacks, but I really don’t see it anymore. I think you just have to be realistic. He has wasted a great recruiting class. I don’t know where they currently are, I know they’re highly-regarded but here’s the issue if you’re realistic — another loss and it just feels like there’s something stuck to this program, the stigma, that Jimbo Fisher can’t talk his way out of.

"What are those players going to do? Are they going to stay? There’s going to be a lot of pressure on him in the offseason and next season. I don’t know how Texas A&M boosters think. I have no earthly idea. I mean, we can joke about them having all the money in the world, but nobody wants to spend this kind of money to buy a guy out. Why did he get one extension after last season? What is this school going to do if this doesn’t get any better? I really don’t know the answer. Your guess is as good as mine."

ON POTENTIAL OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR, SCHEME CHANGES
"Doesn’t that sound like something (you do) after two years, maybe three years? You say to a coach, you’re going to get fired if you don’t change this up. This will be his sixth year. By the way, who’s going to tell him to do that? He’s the king of that program. Do you think he really cares what anybody else there thinks? And by the way, he can go out and hire a hot-shot offensive coordinator.

"That doesn’t mean he really has to listen to him. He’s the head coach. I will always argue the head coach can do what he wants to do. If you have to tell a head coach that you need to bring in a new offensive coordinator because we don’t have confidence in you, what is he being paid for? Jimbo Fisher is an offensive play-caller. He has called plays from the first day he’s been a coach. That’s who he is."

ON MASSIVE BUYOUT
"I would argue that if he did not have that contract, if he had a normal Auburn-like buyout, as we say that as rumors fly about Auburn’s coach. Again, if that happens as we’re talking today, that doesn’t even qualify as breaking news, Bryan Harsin is leaving. But in Jimbo’s case, it would cost 17 or $20 million, that’s an outrageous amount of money, but if that (was) Jimbo Fisher’s buyout which is the high-end of buyouts in history, I believe he would be gone.

"Ed Orgeron had that funny lines a couple months ago at the quarterback club, hey, when they told me I was going to get $17 million, I said, where do I sign? Which door do I walk out of? He didn’t care. At this point, Jimbo Fisher really deserves an Oscar for going in there every Saturday night … after losing to South Carolina and Ole Miss, it’s not like he’s losing to Alabama and Georgia. And he’s taking about we’ve got a good team, great young quarterback, we’ve got this and we’ve got that. And on top of that remember the prelude to the week, he had three players suspended. Second time that’s happened. All kinds of rumors flying around why were they suspended. There’s just a lot about this program that is telling you that it’s coming apart.”

Fisher was asked after the Ole Miss loss if he had any worries about his team sticking together during this current four-game losing skid. The Aggies have fallen out of the national rankings over the past month and now are in danger of missing bowl season altogether as a team that was ranked inside the top 10 at one point.

"You see them in that locker room, and you see them together. And they'll take: We're going to figure this out," Fisher said. "We're going to fight. I don't. We just got to help them find one more play, and they've got to help us find one more play to get over the hump. The disappointment is there, but I'm going to tell you, it's they've got we just had those talks, and those kids come up to talk to me all the time. They're very dedicated to each other and love each other. I really believe that."

And given the success of freshman quarterback Conner Weigman against the Rebels, Fisher was asked if he should've started the heralded first-year player much sooner this fall.

"You can always say that. But at the same time, you've got to make sure when you put a guy in there, you could ruin a true freshman," Fisher said. "We're talking about a true freshman. He had a bit of a fall and he had some other guys. Now, that does limit reps. You had other quality guys getting quality reps. If you don't have guys, you get more reps, more guys and you could have done that. But at the same time, you can ruin a guy a lot quicker than you can make a guy, when they're a freshman like that. Everybody wants to throw them in there.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Going well.

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Good thing it’s 6 months until early signing day…right??

They're going to ramp up that ol' NIL and solve all their problems using the portal. I'm sure older players from other programs will look past everything that keeping high-schoolers away to see the shining virtues of Texas A&M University!

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

Based on what I've heard, it sounds like Texas will have a tough time holding on to Cedric Baxter Jr.‍, but if he does back away from the Longhorns, I suspect the first looks will go to the home-state Gators and Seminoles.

They had to throw that in there to calm the masses

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

This is amazing. 

Even though A&M lost this weekend, recruits loved everything about their visit, the offense is opened up and exciting again, and a team with 18 true freshman starters is somehow simultaneously 1. not able to compete due to youth, 2. a harbinger of greatness about to come, and 3. An indication that plenty of playing time is available to incoming recruits ( even if the frosh will be entrenched for the next few years). 

So with all that amazingness out of the way, let's check in on offensive recruiting.

QB - Nobody. Hoping for an unlikely flip.

RB - Nobody. Hoping for a flip.

WR - Nobody. Circling around for passed-over bread. 

TE - Nobody, but none needed.

OL - 1 redass homer, 1 guy waiting for Hayes Fawcett to finish his decommit edit, 1 guy who just had knee surgery and is looking around, and 1 guy who is a project. None of the four projects to OT. Nobody else on the radar right now. 

You can't even make shit up that's as good as this. 

Jimbo should change his name to Keith Sweat.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Even though A&M lost this weekend, recruits loved everything about their visit, the offense is opened up and exciting again, and a team with 18 true freshman starters is somehow simultaneously 1. not able to compete due to youth, 2. a harbinger of greatness about to come, and 3. An indication that plenty of playing time is available to incoming recruits ( even if the frosh will be entrenched for the next few years). 

Irony deaf and evidently unable to recognize contradiction. This is a perfect example of Aggie logic.

The recruits were amped to watch the Aggies lose in such fine fashion. All aboard!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, texasfight2025 said:

Is that Jake Busey?

No, that’s a prototypical aggie. 

If I remember correctly, Jake Busey formed a doomsday cult, and then blew himself up along with most of the operational NASA team trying to run tests on a new space travel machine. This was a pretty big fucking deal when it happened in the late 90’s. Surprised you’re not more aware. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Seriously. It's just not gonna happen. His bond with Choice going back to 8th grade, I believe is too strong. 

Yup.  He’s also going to have a lot of eyes on him on game day bc people will be tuning in to watch Arch.   Add in the celebrity status of Bijan, and all his NIL deals, RB is an easy position for us to sell to him.  In fact, I expect us to recruit that position at an elite level every year.  Who doesn’t want to drive lambos, have condiments named after them, make 7 figures, and have 1000 yard rushing seasons on top of living in Austin.  You’re not getting that in Gainesville or Tallahassee.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hornlover said:

So with all that amazingness out of the way, let's check in on offensive recruiting.

RB - Nobody. Hoping for a flip.

OL - 1 redass homer, 1 guy waiting for Hayes Fawcett to finish his decommit edit, 1 guy who just had knee surgery and is looking around, and 1 guy who is a project. None of the four projects to OT. Nobody else on the radar right now. 

You can't even make shit up that's as good as this. 

Advantage Aggy.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Hornlover said:

RB - Nobody. Hoping for a flip.  But tay-ew might lose their RB commit, so moral victory!

Slight edit to reflect some positivity. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I talked to some buddies the past two days who know their shit when it comes to recruiting and ATM. I fucking pressed them on what the fuck is happening with their recruiting on offense. 

One guy: These things get viral. There's something that's been tipped to where now recruits really do believe that that's a fake program. I think it's being hollowed out from the inside, myself. So, I am not sure what they're going to do on either side of the ball at this point. They can find some mercenaries, but how's that already working out? Plus, everyone is paying players once they get to campus through NIL, so there's no competitive advantage. Hell, they're so far behind on real NIL that that's its own problem. They need to win out and they're probably still having to come from way behind to get Owens at TB. I don't have answers at the other spots. 

Second guy, separate conversation, separate voice usually: They're in a dogfight just to hang on to the big names they have, never mind additions. I find it almost impossible to believe that they'll get shut out at all of these positions, because that just doesn't happen, but I don't know even know names of candidates for their slots right now. Reuben Owens and his dad have to be feeling pretty good about that, though. I would put money on finishing out of the top 20 before I would consider inside the top 10 for their finish.

-------

Neither of these guys have a distorted fanboy view about these things. The ATM circumstances right now are legitimately baffling. I know the fact that Liucci hasn't posted his nonsensical rankings is getting a lot of play here, but I think this is also a problem for him. They don't have any clue how they're going to close, and with whom they'll be closing. 

It's going to be interesting to watch. If they post 4 straight wins, what happens? If they go 2-2 and don't make a bowl, what happens? Could be fucking crazy.

Maybe, just maybe, Looch really did get his credentials/access yanked.

• Drool 1

12 hours ago, victory88 said:

Yup.  He’s also going to have a lot of eyes on him on game day bc people will be tuning in to watch Arch.   Add in the celebrity status of Bijan, and all his NIL deals, RB is an easy position for us to sell to him.  In fact, I expect us to recruit that position at an elite level every year.  Who doesn’t want to drive lambos, have condiments named after them, make 7 figures, and have 1000 yard rushing seasons on top of living in Austin.  You’re not getting that in Gainesville or Tallahassee.  

Agree 100%. We should have zero issues with that position in recruiting. At this point Bijan opened a door that should now be selling itself. Plus we have a great recruiter/eye for talent/and great coach in Choice. Not to mention Austin is the place to be. It's so much better than when we were going to school there. It's grown significantly and it's basically another silicon valley with an amazing fan base and now incredible NIL deals. Add in Arch now and we should be cleaning up. Quinn will get better and then Arch will take over. We have the offense that elite WR's and RB's should Gravity towards. 

On 11/2/2022 at 4:39 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They don't need skill players because the SEC is a line of scrimmage league.

On 11/2/2022 at 5:04 PM, SHOOTER12 said:

Or maybe, for whatever reason, Jumbo knows he's  not coming back and doesn't give a damn.

worry about the beef for early signing day

everything else can be fixed with portal bags

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I talked to some buddies the past two days who know their shit when it comes to recruiting and ATM. I fucking pressed them on what the fuck is happening with their recruiting on offense.

the next time you talk to them, ask them when sharpe is going to be called to account for what's happened the last 10 years?