Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

If you were in this situation: "the NIL structure is shit and we all hate the coach, but we need to throw a duffel bag at somebody or we won't have a football team anymore"

and you needed one big name recruit this cycle that would leap at the bag, it was going to be Owens.

It was very predictable, I’ve had Owens penciled in to aggy since the day he committed to Louisville, signing with them made no sense. And we know his pops has his hand out for the biggest bag possible, the whole situation screams A&M, the Louisville coach leaving just sped up the process.

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is all such a dumb way to think about things. There is no way starters in college are making 250k in NIL without some type of commercial tie in.

As has been said ad nauseum there isn't a lot of people that want to spend insane amounts of money with no return. Even if there is significant emotional return there still has to be a way for their involvement with the player to actually drive something forward with purpose. 

Bijan has had a ton of NIL but also driven a significant amount of revenue associate with his name image and likeness. He didn't get paid cuz he was just good at football. Quinn Ewers has also done some really big promotions in and around the Austin area that generated incredible buzz that would have been hard to get in the Austin area without it being the highly touted starting QB of the longhorns. 

The BIG money NIL is always going to be commercially driven. The BAG money NIL and the xfer portal hostage situation stuff is going to play out real quick once people find out that it's never worth it without a commercial return. 

I have a strong suspicion that this is all going to normalize with baselines and commercial opportunities linked to either the fan base or the geographic area of the team. This year will be one of the last with just insanity in the portal. No ones $$ paid off last year, not a single player that xferred for $ made the splash equivalent to their rumored or actual $ in pure on field production. Which is why that kind of NIL will soon die. 

Your logic is sound but your understanding of markets might not be. We don't know yet. But there's a reason the maxim "Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent" exists. In this case, the "solvent" component could be the level-headed donor groups versus the places where they have insane backers who have even more insane money. Oregon is one of those. Does the cabal at ATM have the same mindset? I don't think we know yet, and I fucking know one of them. 

If I had to bet, you'll be right about some evening out and sanity, but it might take longer than just this cycle. I know we are both right on the corporate side, which will continue to be a growing competitive advantage for UT, USC, UCLA and a few others, provided that they've got the requisite star power on the roster, or willing to join the roster, to justify the corporate interest. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Don't overcomplicate it and don't turn this into a pseudo-GM thread as you overcomplicate it, you actuarial lunatic. That said, I'll give you some color from the UT end if it helps:

Set a floor for every spot on every roster. For football, that's 85. No, not walk-ons. I said 85. So whether you are a back-up long snapper on scholarship or an AA WR, you are assured that floor. Call it $50k. This immediately prevents churn and completely dims down disunion within the ranks. Players are young but they aren't stupid. Virtually no one in the locker room is stewing if a Bijan Robinson is making $2million and they're making $50k.

Then, you have to account for premiums. Premiums in retention and premiums in acquisition. That is set at the market level. Corporate helps here because a lot of this can be superstar related. Austin's corporate density matters on this front specifically. Assume this is the remaining $5-$10M beyond the floor. This is where shit could get crazy if no one playing in this space gives a fuck about ROI or if corporate realizes "hey, these sponsorship deals are great, let's up the ante in the next cycle!"

Actuarial lunatic- Love it. Yet the 50k seems like the number. Thanks for the color. I was  just talking out loud while writing numbers on the back of a napkin. 
it seems like we should be able to make this an every year thing with Texas exes regions or clubs. Just like fuckkng dues- hey Corsicana- Imma gonna need your 32k this week. Beaumont- send us your 12k in used scrap metal. Etc and so forth. With some giveaways from the school to the clubs to filter down to their donors maybe? Turn this shit into a film on MLM ponzie scheme. 
I will stop now and keep the pseudo GM to the Astros thread. Thanks for the color. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Your logic is sound but your understanding of markets might not be. We don't know yet. But there's a reason the maxim "Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent" exists. In this case, the "solvent" component could be the level-headed donor groups versus the places where they have insane backers who have even more insane money. Oregon is one of those. Does the cabal at ATM have the same mindset? I don't think we know yet, and I fucking know one of them. 

If I had to bet, you'll be right about some evening out and sanity, but it might take longer than just this cycle. I know we are both right on the corporate side, which will continue to be a growing competitive advantage for UT, USC, UCLA and a few others, provided that they've got the requisite star power on the roster, or willing to join the roster, to justify the corporate interest. 

To that point I’d I had 5B I would want to own the Astros. If I couldn’t own the Astros but felt like I could buy a ton of influence and a national title For UT for 15 or 20M I would seriously consider it, and it wouldn’t be rational. When you have enough money you don’t have to be rational anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

To that point I’d I had 5B I would want to own the Astros. If I couldn’t own the Astros but felt like I could buy a ton of influence and a national title For UT for 15 or 20M I would seriously consider it, and it wouldn’t be rational. When you have enough money you don’t have to be rational anymore. 

The Astro generate income and presumably grow in value.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, JBJ said:

The Astro generate income and presumably grow in value.

Sure. So does any investment that you make. Super rich guys don’t buy sports franchises bc that’s the highest and best use of their money. They do it because it’s an ego boost, gains noteriety and is fun. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

His dad [Philip Anschutz] is worth over $10B, so they've got plenty of jack. They also have a fuckton of mouths to feed in the charity realm. The dad isn't affiliated with CU that I know of, so I am interested to see if the family is going to be cool with $10-$15M a year being funneled to 18-24 year old ballplayers while never seeing a dollar returned in monetary value.

1 hour ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

He's not the billionaire.  His dad is.  Worth $10bn but is a Kansas alum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Anschutz

I was looking into Kroenke & Anschutz a couple of days ago. Neither are Colorado alums and both of Sports & Entertainment interests that would be director competitors to Colorado Buffaloes game & merch fandom, however…

The Anschutz family does have a connection with the University of Colorado system- The CU Medical School & hospital system in Denver (Aurora suburb).

0995A76F-EE6A-4F55-9A6B-8670CED03C9B.thumb.jpeg.f9d93a87cc2567f7cb1fea573aa1bc29.jpeg

0EEDBFAB-9EFB-4CB0-8436-218058CE88E0.thumb.jpeg.95c267f0536c061cc14291297b4a3745.jpeg6ACA6D28-A4D5-4FCC-8B30-64A4C495968D.thumb.jpeg.dca122d66a2f91151e668101cb71e088.jpeg

D2D148FA-E585-4FEF-A4C1-119922380E12.thumb.jpeg.19ebe1652450ad3e14888a1bc9605d1e.jpeg

That still doesn’t seem like a strong enough connection to support the football team, but maybe the son is an alum and the hospital system will oversee the knee repair surgeries & more of the high profile football team. 

No sé.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

How much you want to bet a certain service bumps his ranking up to push him ahead of Cedric Baxter?

Who cares? At one time they had Zach Evans ahead of Bijan and he's currently behind a former 3* at Ole Miss. Baxter is the better back, top to bottom. He's a fucking monster. Owens, like his companion Evans, is a headcase who will flame out and transfer because he's a titty baby. 

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’d you mean Texags and the Looch 44, you can’t push past something on a ranking that doesn’t exist. 

37 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Get ready for the Looch spin on how the great Dumbo recruiter got his #1 RB target.

The Looch 44 is falling into place. 

#1 Owens

#2 Shanahan

#3 Hicks/Hill - whichever one they mone-whip into committing next. 

• Haha 1

It is kind of “funny” when one of the Top RB’s in the country decides to go to a team where the coach is on the hot seat, just finished a 5-7 season in year 5, doesn’t have a offensive coordinator because they just fired the last guy and a ton of current players are hitting the portal to get away from the program.  It’s one thing if Owens grew up always wanting to go to A&M and that was always his dream school or something but this doesn’t seem fishy at all, right?  Same will go for Hicks, Hill, etc…. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

It's interesting to contrast this with how Herman's recruiting and support flat-out died on the vine after the disappointment of the 2019 season and the Ewers fiasco. NIL (on in this case, lots of plain ol' $$$) really does change everything.

Goes back to how A&M is willing to get dirty in ways other schools won't touch with a ten-foot pole.

Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

The abject stupidity of aggy never ceases to amaze. They keep doing the same shit every year, thinking it will finally work out this time. Meanwhile they can't understand why nobody likes or respects them. Way to go aggy, you bought another 5-star. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

His dad is worth over $10B, so they've got plenty of jack. They also have a fuckton of mouths to feed in the charity realm. The dad isn't affiliated with CU that I know of, so I am interested to see if the family is going to be cool with $10-$15M a year being funneled to 18-24 year old ballplayers while never seeing a dollar returned in monetary value.

The Anschutz family has been in oil & gas and real estate since the 1900's.

Philip Anschutz bought out his father in the 60's, and invested in stocks, railroads and real estate, including 9,000,000 acres along the Utah-Wyoming border.  Amoco discovered oil on the Anschutz Ranch in the late 70's, which eventually became a billion-barrel+, with a "B",  oil pocket, the largest oil field discovery in the United States since Prudhoe Bay in 1968. 

His railroad interests included downtown real estate and warehouses in Denver, and other midwestern cities that became very lucrative in the downtown revitalizations in the early 90's. He used his railroad right-of-ways to lay fiber optic cables across the country (Quest Communications).  Anschutz has two private cars at the end of the Ski Train from Denver to Winter Park.  Phil was one of those guys who made "fuck you" money everywhere he looked.

Anschutz and the string of heirs have many ties to Colorado, Denver, and CU. The CU student population has been full of trust fund babies for many years and while that wealth may or may not manifest in the university endowment, it is there.

We lived outside of Boulder from '93-97.  Bronco's and Buffs winning = Exceptional football atmosphere.  I like Deion. He will do well if he listens to the football people around him.

And Ralphie is in the top tier of football mascots.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's him and Leveon Moss, another spiky personality. Should be fine when they split carries. 

I'm definitely holding out hope for a very public feud between those two. Ideally one that splits the lockerroom even more. And fortunately, it seems very, very plausible. 

• Hook 'Em 1