Shooting at Austin protest tonight, 1 dead

clapclapclap

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Painting with a pretty broad brush.  

As delicious as being lectured by someone who made dozens on posts for a year about a seemingly seriously depressed teenager, and then decided it would be fine to purchase them a semiautomatic (literal) weapon of war for them for Christmas? 

What semi-auto is a literal weapon of war? 

i truly hope whoever the depressed teen is doing better. And he or she gets more support than they need RIGHT NOW. Assume it’s much worse than you think or know. Don’t wait to help, you might not get another chance. 

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Please fatty and Poe, stan harder for the pedophilic murderer. Please show us all your true colors. 

So your problem is with pardons, or the letter behind the the name of the person who granted it.  You have issues with the adjudication of the marijuana users that’s proposed/happening?  Or is that ok because it fits your worldview?  What should be pardoned, and by whom would it be acceptable for you? 

• Fuck You 9

1 minute ago, B00M said:

What semi-auto is a literal weapon of war? 

i truly hope whoever the depressed teen is doing better. And he or she gets more support than they need RIGHT NOW. Assume it’s much worse than you think or know. Don’t wait to help, you might not get another chance. 

Pretty sure university in Europe helped.  You’d have to ask one of the war buffs. French military, iirc @Brisketexan

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

So your problem is with pardons, or the letter behind the the name of the person who granted it.  You have issues with the adjudication of the marijuana users that’s proposed/happening?  Or is that ok because it fits your worldview?  What should be pardoned, and by whom would it be acceptable for you? 

TIL marijuana smokers are killing other people with their actions. 

What a completely unhinged comparison between a violent person who sought out conflict, and people who want to get stoned. What the actual fuck?

It's not speculation - we KNOW that he went there to target and harm protesters simply because he didn't like their speech. I have a problem that a violent person is being released and given back his gun rights simply because the governor liked who he was doing violence against. 

The timing of this pardon along with the deployment of the Uvalde Defenders to violently quash the protests at UT sends a pretty fucking clear message: Protesters are open season in Texas. Seek redress of grievances against your government at risk of life and liberty. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Captainant said:

the deployment of the Uvalde Defenders to violently quash the protests at UT 

Please tell me this is hyperbole and all the uvalde PD involved in that humiliating tragedy have been fired. If this is accurate, it’s just too much 

Edited by B00M

23 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I have a problem that a violent person is being released and given back his gun rights simply because the governor liked who he was doing violence against. 

Link or speculation? Forgive me if I don’t consider your speculation worth anything.  

• Fuck You 5

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, B00M said:

Please tell me this is hyperbole and all the uvalde PD involved in that humiliating tragedy have been fired. If this is accurate, it’s just too much 

I more meant DPS, who was also on the scene in force at Uvalde. And to the contrary, the police have investigated themselves and found the response was actually the correct and appropriate. That was big ugly news a few months ago. 

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Link or speculation? Forgive me if I don’t consider your speculation worth anything.  

Abbott's claim is that perry acted in self defense when he ran a red light to aggressively swerve into protesters who were protesting police brutality. That is a complete fucking lie and ignoring what actually happened in favor of alternative facts that map to the culture war.

Perry was premeditated in his action to swerve into protesters and shoot them. We have the fucking receipts for it. 

Why are you happy about releasing this fucking murderer?

Edited by Captainant

20 minutes ago, B00M said:

I know Brisket and I beat this dead horse every few months.  But I absolutely am fucking stunned that none of these guys have swallowed a round out of shame.  It just boggles my mind.  Every single day, sadly, a veteran sits in a parking lot of a VA hospital or Wal-Mart and takes their own life for myriad reasons.  Despite being fucking heroes, all.  And 700 of these Uvalde/DPS/County dipshits walk past the parents of the dead kids and drive past the school and not one of 'em has a coffee and a bullet?  That's absolutely insane to me.  It defies everything we know about survivor's guilt.  It will be studied for centuries.  

13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I know you get a lotta guff on this forum and others.  But I appreciate your sincerity and willingness to engage in robust debate.  But I did notice you finally, tacitly realized that he wasn't out on bond from some left-wing D.A.  He was a convicted felon starting a very long sentence.  And was then given a pass by our Governor.  And only then did he reveal his plans to torment more protesters, buy more guns, and text more underage girls.  I am probably a little more harsh on violent crime, as you seem to be, than most on this thread and others.  But please understand that this is mere force posturing on the part of Gov. Abbott to curry favor in the wake of Huffhines, the financial support of Dunn, and the chance at a getting a Rose from Donald Trump at the next flower ceremony.  I have no idea what you are like in real life, but I appreciate you bringing some transparency about yourself and your value set to the table.  And I like the exchanges and humor.  But you have to come to grips with the fact that Abbott is doing this for some other reason and it's not a good one.  Incoming Lobo humblebrag, my cousin is his head of THECB, my other cousin has been his statewide co-chair in two cycles.  I have Abbott's personal cell phone number in my contact list.  I don't have to check in with the DPS booth when walking into the Mansion (other than taking out metal from my pockets obviously).  My wife and his wife had tea or lunch on a number of occasions.  

Something happened to him about 3-3.5 years ago and he is no longer right in the head.  I don't know if it was political pressure, or primaries, or senility, or that sometimes disabled folks get mentally foggy more rapidly than the rest of us.  But it absolutely, unequivocally not the same man I've known for the last dozen years.  Something is wrong with him.  Not just pardons, or policy, or being on the take.  He is already half-way down a very dark road.  And while I wish him godspeed, sadly...he's taking a lot of people with him.  And not for the better.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Something happened to him about 3-3.5 years ago and he is no longer right in the head.  I don't know if it was political pressure, or primaries, or senility, or that sometimes disabled folks get mentally foggy more rapidly than the rest of us.  But it absolutely, unequivocally not the same man I've known for the last dozen years.  Something is wrong with him.  Not just pardons, or policy, or being on the take.  He is already half-way down a very dark road.  And while I wish him godspeed, sadly...he's taking a lot of people with him.  And not for the better.  

Man, it seemed like he handled the pandemic as well as possible but his right took him to task over it and he pivoted further right. Sounds like the stress of the situation may have damaged him. Fuck. 

He was certainly under stress and we saw a lot of politicians of both stripes just lose their shit and fuck up.  And I don't mean to pick on the disabled, maybe he's just cognitively declining faster than "able-bodied" people, or again---political pressure or just wanting some token of acknowledgement from Trump or the next GOP leader.  But he is not correct in the head anymore.  I don't say that as a "All Republicans are insane stupids" or bullshit hyperbole.  I know him a long time.  And I saw this pardon coming, we all did.  No CR, ban me if you want Bob, but there is nothing behind his eyes anymore.  He's devoid of substance.  And a fisherman can always see another fisherman from afar.  

• Rage+1 1

So hypothetically speaking, if a person felt like his, and his family’s, lives were in danger from Abbott’s policies and this hypothetical person happened to be near Abbott while hypothetically armed would the Texas stand your ground  statute apply?  Hypothetically speaking of course.

22 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So hypothetically speaking, if a person felt like his, and his family’s, lives were in danger from Abbott’s policies and this hypothetical person happened to be near Abbott while hypothetically armed would the Texas stand your ground  statute apply?  Hypothetically speaking of course.

Sure,….hypothetically 

After "Glengarry Glen Ross", my second favorite David Mamet movie is "Spartan"  As fate would have it, Gov. Abbott recruited Mamet to come help jump-start UATX, along with some others to combat the trouble of classical education on our college campuses.  In the movie "Spartan", our protagonist instructs a secondary character, "You got to set you mother fucker to receive."  Indicating to him that he, despite his military prowess...he is not being perceptive enough and needs to learn to listen and observant as opposed to just "doing."  Despite Kilmer's character's incessant penchant for telling us and the other characters to just put their heads down and follow orders, he is still a careful thinker who can operate all on his own. 

But I am daily reminded of Kilmer's line "You got to set your mother fucker to receive."  

Tomorrow morning, I will attend service at my wife's church.  I will then move to the fellowship hall, prepare breakfast and coffee for the parishioners with families and older folks.  And then spend time cleaning up and scrubbing dishes.  And many of you will not be "set to receive."  You will go to evangelical services, cowboy church, etc.  And you will dismiss the teachings of Jesus.  And without a hint of irony, you will go home and turn on cable news and wonder why your false messiah is being persecuted without realizing what you just learned about Sunday morning.  Your literal Messiah warned you about false ones and you still can't help yourself because it's easier than the other path.  I don't know shit about fuck, but there's something or someone behind all of this and it made an overture to us awhile back to show it still cared.  And it is not Abbott nor Trump nor the pardoning of psychotic, pedophile murderers.

For now, remember this---there may be a heaven.  There may not be.  There may be a hell.  There may not be.  There may be a crippled God-King.  There may be an Orange God-King.  Pray for whatever you want, but I assure you, there is a box of reality.  And much as you hate me, you are all stuck inside of it with me for the time being.  And it's gonna get a fuckton worse before it gets better.  And I can leave far easier than you can.  

• Like 1