So, am I getting another $3900 check? Should I?

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, txhorns said:

Most churches I know of that have a decent sized congregation have funds set aside to help members in cases of emergency.  They just don't announce it on twitter or even in church.  Only a handful of church members know who gets helped with those funds.

Yeah, well to get help from most any church (funds, food, counseling) you have to either be a member, or be willing to join  That's why the whole idea of churches  doling out help falls apart, because it adds that slant to it. 

Someone is down and needs a hand?  Here, take Jesus' hand.  If you don't take it, good luck down the road.  If our God isn't good enough for you, then neither is our help.    

Not all churches are like this, but a lot of them are and this is how they bolster their membership.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Yeah, well to get help from most any church (funds, food, counseling) you have to either be a member, or be willing to join  That's why the whole idea of churches  doling out help falls apart, because it adds that slant to it. 

Someone is down and needs a hand?  Here, take Jesus' hand.  If you don't take it, good luck down the road.  If our God isn't good enough for you, then neither is our help.    

Not all churches are like this, but a lot of them are and this is how they bolster their membership.

This isn’t accurate at all. Every church I’ve been to does both things- straight community outreach to all who need help- with no strings attached- along with programs to help members who are down and out. I’d wager that the vast majority if churches operate that way. If your church doesn’t operate this way it sucks. Nobody is conditioning getting help at the food bank with membership in the church- but there are special offerings for down on their luck fellow parishioners. As there should be from a church perspective. 
jesus told one woman begging he came to give take care of the Jews- she said you wouldn’t begrudge crumbs from the table to a dog. 
meanwhile, the Good Samaritan tells us that everyone down and out is our brother and we should help whoever in need crosses our path. Both teachings have a place in the church. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

Isn’t this usually when Republicans say churches will step in to fill the role of the social safety net out of the goodness of their heart? 

Beyoncé isn’t a church. Lakewood ain’t doing shit 

A lot of churches, not megachurches, are quite focused on eviction and family crisis assistance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, txhorns said:

Most churches I know of that have a decent sized congregation have funds set aside to help members in cases of emergency.  They just don't announce it on twitter or even in church.  Only a handful of church members know who gets helped with those funds.

Compassionate care funds, yes. And it’s not just for members- it’s literally for anyone who walks in off the street. Churches absolutely serve as a safety net for those in need - aside from smiling Joel’s, of course. Ain’t no room at that inn.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Whose D did you S?  
None for me yet. I think I got my last the last time around two. Must be alphabetical order. Damn W for a last name. 

Just wanted to say I’m not a functional illiterate. This string of typos doesn’t argue that point well, but I know it’s too. I know it’s mine. I swear this entire iPhone thing with my fat fingers and bizarre autocorrect shit is just Steve Jobs long con to mess with me from beyond the grave. 

28 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Just wanted to say I’m not a functional illiterate. This string of typos doesn’t argue that point well, but I know it’s too. I know it’s mine. I swear this entire iPhone thing with my fat fingers and bizarre autocorrect shit is just Steve Jobs long con to mess with me from beyond the grave. 

What is amazing is that I read your post exactly as you intended. My brain didn't let me see the typos. Brains are neat. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Is this even a thing?  You're the only one I've seen bring this up.  Pardon my ignorance.

It is a thing but it isn't a quick fix and requires Harris to be VP as she is the presiding officer of the senate. This article lays it out:

https://gregolear.substack.com/p/whos-afraid-of-mitch-mcconnell

The democrats can't allow Mitch to preside as he did during the Obama administration. This may be the answer that they should have pursued sooner. Use the constitution and the senate rules to recognize senators that will put bills forward and not Mitch who blocks everything that is not according to his agenda. The senate is there to legislate and pass bills into law. For the betterment of our nation, they must do so. No more obstruction. Vote on shit or resign and go home.

• Hook 'Em 4

40 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

What is amazing is that I read your post exactly as you intended. My brain didn't let me see the typos. Brains are neat. 

It’s as much illogical words or word changes. Sometimes it works when I will type something like food job and it corrects to good job. Sometimes it inserts random words that make no sense. The brain is weird how it reads jibberish correctly though. 

There was a thread about what your brain can automatically correct at some point.  It might have been on shaggy, but it was amazing the typos your brain fixes when you are reading.  Words that weren't even close to being spelled right.

Edited by kevwun

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This isn’t accurate at all. Every church I’ve been to does both things- straight community outreach to all who need help- with no strings attached- along with programs to help members who are down and out. I’d wager that the vast majority if churches operate that way. If your church doesn’t operate this way it sucks. Nobody is conditioning getting help at the food bank with membership in the church- but there are special offerings for down on their luck fellow parishioners. As there should be from a church perspective. 
jesus told one woman begging he came to give take care of the Jews- she said you wouldn’t begrudge crumbs from the table to a dog. 
meanwhile, the Good Samaritan tells us that everyone down and out is our brother and we should help whoever in need crosses our path. Both teachings have a place in the church. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

A lot of churches, not megachurches, are quite focused on eviction and family crisis assistance.

I agree with this.  Unfortunately, it's often the prosperity preaching gospel mega churches that get the attention.  They are the ones with Pastor Danny and his cute blonde pastor wife partner on TV luring in the masses.   

There are churches out there who operate like I mentioned, and those who operate as you suggest.   So saying I am not accurate at all is inaccurate in itself, especially since I added the caveat of stating that not all churches were like this. 

Your lessons you preach to me seem to have been forgotten by many, or they have parameters on them now that are more selective.   Many churches are losing sight of those old values and replacing them with more self-serving ones.  

Charity through the churches is fine and noble, but social programs that aid our people in every day living should be left to the government.   Same for the endowment of the arts and education, which we see being chipped at daily by our legislators and administrations.   

And unfortunately, they are using the bully pulpit of the churches to rally support for this movement.  There was separation of church and state for a reason we seem to have forgotten, or seem to think we have solved.  I do not see any movement or uprising against Trump and his doings by many churches.  Instead I see them embracing him (or remaining mute) because he represents their values?   

It's all screwed up, and I apologize for belittling the decent churches out there trying to do the right thing and help people.   I will hold though that the majority outright support Trump, or sit on their hands.  And to support Trump is to support the wrong things. And I think they do it to retain power to guide the country in a certain direction.  That's wrong.  That's what voting is for.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I agree with this.  Unfortunately, it's often the prosperity preaching gospel mega churches that get the attention.  They are the ones with Pastor Danny and his cute blonde pastor wife partner on TV luring in the masses.   

There are churches out there who operate like I mentioned, and those who operate as you suggest.   So saying I am not accurate at all is inaccurate in itself, especially since I added the caveat of stating that not all churches were like this. 

Your lessons you preach to me seem to have been forgotten by many, or they have parameters on them now that are more selective.   Many churches are losing sight of those old values and replacing them with more self-serving ones.  

Charity through the churches is fine and noble, but social programs that aid our people in every day living should be left to the government.   Same for the endowment of the arts and education, which we see being chipped at daily by our legislators and administrations.   

And unfortunately, they are using the bully pulpit of the churches to rally support for this movement.  There was separation of church and state for a reason we seem to have forgotten, or seem to think we have solved.  I do not see any movement or uprising against Trump and his doings by many churches.  Instead I see them embracing him (or remaining mute) because he represents their values?   

It's all screwed up, and I apologize for belittling the decent churches out there trying to do the right thing and help people.   I will hold though that the majority outright support Trump, or sit on their hands.  And to support Trump is to support the wrong things. And I think they do it to retain power to guide the country in a certain direction.  That's wrong.  That's what voting is for.  

There’s so much to unpack here and I don’t have the time or inclination to do that right now other than to say thank you for sharing your thoughts and I don’t disagree with a lot of it. 
I think you are conflating two different groups though bc the mega church prosperity gospel stuff isn’t the strident Trumpkins. Go to Joel Osteens church- which is the epitome of what you are talking about and you will see a minority majority coalition of people that are brown, black, gay and non traditional church people. I bet his congregation voted for Biden as a majority and if they didn’t it was damn close. 
the people that are hammering away 80/20 to Trump are going to normal, white evangelical churches. 
There’s two interesting things there going on- 1- those people are pretty conservative in their theology/look down their nose at the Osteens churches/ and so the charity and help right in the way I described it as a corporate body, and 2) they are insular, isolated, don’t worship with browns, blacks and gays, and vote overwhelmingly Trump (and many are tots and complete assholes). 
it’s an interesting dynamic. Thanks for a more thoughtful follow up post. 

41 minutes ago, kevwun said:

There was a thread about what your brain can automatically correct at some point.  It might have been on shaggy, but it was amazing the typos your brain fixes when you are reading.  Words that weren't even close to being spelled right.

I read once that if the first and last letter are right, the order of the middle letters doesn't matter, your brain fixes it. 

So if you typed "Doland Turmp is a big fat iodit" - your brain would make all the corrections itself while reading. 

There are a ton of religious congregations that do a lot of good charitable work with little notice. The problem is that all of the good they do amounts to very little in comparison to the scope of the problems they're trying to address (hunger, homelessness, etc.). Time and time and time again we see that private charity is simply nowhere near enough to support most of the people who need help, particularly in bad economic times.

This isn't just a moral concern, though it is first and foremost that. It is an economic concern as well.  The cost of feeding and housing people who need help is very little compared to the costs we incur when we force tens of millions of people into lives of poverty.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I regret I pulled this thread off topic to rail against the GOP's efforts to destroy our social safety net and justifying that local churches will pick up the slack of $1 trillion+ of spending for 80+ federal welfare programs. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I regret I pulled this thread off topic to rail against the GOP's efforts to destroy our social safety net and justifying that local churches will pick up the slack of $1 trillion+ of spending for 80+ federal welfare programs. 

I think it was a noble deed performed.  Do not feel remorse.   It's obviously a topic close to my heart that doesn't get enough airtime, IMO.    And it does fit the thread because it has to do with aid and relief as you succinctly put it.  

Plus, I've sure as hell seen lots of surly threads side barred with far less interesting discussions.  

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

It is a thing but it isn't a quick fix and requires Harris to be VP as she is the presiding officer of the senate. This article lays it out:

The democrats can't allow Mitch to preside as he did during the Obama administration. This may be the answer that they should have pursued sooner. Use the constitution and the senate rules to recognize senators that will put bills forward and not Mitch who blocks everything that is not according to his agenda. The senate is there to legislate and pass bills into law. For the betterment of our nation, they must do so. No more obstruction. Vote on shit or resign and go home.

fantastic article bobongos.

mitch is evil and needs a spanish inquisition catechism.

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I was drinking last night.

Fair enough.

To be clear, I’ve been VERY critical of churches on this board. I’m just coming at it from a different perspective. 

And I didn’t see anything to disagree with in your post from half an hour ago, for instance.

If that guy is right, and he makes a pretty persuasive case, then why in the blue fuck did Obama and Biden not invoke this during his presidency after Moscow Mitch completely took over the Senate? That’s rage inducing. 

It would be awesome if Mike Pence did that to him before the change over.

51 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Don't forget about Barstool Sports! Apparently they have raised a total of  . . . 6 million dollars. That should make a dent in things.

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

$600 deposit is pending in my account to be dropped on the 4th. Interesting date choice. 1 day before the GA runoff

Nice bribe. 

Would be $1400 more if Qanon Kelly and Cowardly Perdue get the boot. 

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

yuo cna porbalby raed tihs esaliy desptie teh msispeillgns.

https://www.treehugger.com/why-your-brain-can-read-jumbled-letters-4864305

in short, your brain processes full words at once mostly because of muscle memory, repetition, and habit.  when you see a block of text like this:

"It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

you can read it as long as the first and last letters are in the right place.  the same goes for words that flow in a sentence.  if they're familiar, our brains auto-correct and auto-complete.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, BradInATX said:

The Dems are basically every NFL team that keeps hiring shitty retread never-weres like Mike McCarthy and Jeff Fisher to lead their squad. They are scared to bring in someone young, dynamic, and different, even though that's the way the world is moving, because old and boring is how they've always done it. They also don't want anyone that slightly threatens to rock the boat . They are incompetent. They are Jerry Jones.

That’s society as a whole. Republicans are really resistant to change. Democrats are sort of open to limited change. There is a growing wing that wants big liberal changes but there is not a broad enough acceptance of that yet for them to win elections on any large scale. I hope they keep at it and minds change sooner rather than later.

23 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

it's not just mitch.  being evil under the guise of righteousness and oblivious to the dichotomy is a feature set of the right side of the political spectrum.

I agree that every single bit of evidence points to them being evil. I am interested I guess in is there a common path that these men and women follow that leads them there? I also have interest in the individual as well because there is definitely events that happened early in their lives that put them on a course to where this outcome happens. Treating people as less than their equal and just taking so much joy in destroying human beings is something I think we as a society are going to have to look at deeper and trying to find ways to eradicate, or at the very least mitigate, this mindset as best we can. 

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

There are a ton of religious congregations that do a lot of good charitable work with little notice. The problem is that all of the good they do amounts to very little in comparison to the scope of the problems they're trying to address (hunger, homelessness, etc.). Time and time and time again we see that private charity is simply nowhere near enough to support most of the people who need help, particularly in bad economic times.

This isn't just a moral concern, though it is first and foremost that. It is an economic concern as well.  The cost of feeding and housing people who need help is very little compared to the costs we incur when we force tens of millions of people into lives of poverty.  

Well said. The church can do more. It’s called to do more. If it did what it was supposed to we could irradiate poverty more or less world wide. It won’t do that. We give about 1 or 2 percent t when it’s supposed to be 10, and we spend most of what we give on fancy facilities and salary in too many places. 
tbis is a pity. It will never change this side of heaven. It won’t ever be enough- you are correct. 

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

yuo cna porbalby raed tihs esaliy desptie teh msispeillgns.

https://www.treehugger.com/why-your-brain-can-read-jumbled-letters-4864305

in short, your brain processes full words at once mostly because of muscle memory, repetition, and habit.  when you see a block of text like this:

"It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

you can read it as long as the first and last letters are in the right place.  the same goes for words that flow in a sentence.  if they're familiar, our brains auto-correct and auto-complete.

giphy.gif

Just now, kevwun said:

He says that while they funneled millions of covid relief money meant for small businesses to their cronies.

He’s ok if borrowed money goes to his rich Republican friends, duh. 

Come on now, like, 97% of Kentucky probably qualifies for this check. Except for Coach Cal 

• Hook 'Em 2