Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

6 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Invite derka to a picnic and he's gonna stick his dick in the cole slaw.  He can't help it; it's his nature. 

also, this is the second time in a few days that you've brought my name up out of nowhere to talk some stupid shit. if that isn't the definition of sticking your dick in the cole slaw then you aren't a dumb fucking asshole with zero self awareness.

On 7/30/2021 at 9:20 PM, shadow_operative said:

you shouldn't care what i say, and i'm glad you enjoyed it. to each his own. but it still feels a bit like season 4 of community to me, or the last two seasons of R&M- as if the show got new writers who are trying to write the way they think the original writers/show runners would do it, but failing. it feels more like Hydrax Ted Lasso to me than the real thing.

what if i told you hydrox was the real thing

be8d93e3bfed0aebfa2f75935327e382f22e54ab

• Like 2

On 8/8/2021 at 11:29 AM, MillerEP said:

Fun fact. The Brits made up the term "soccer." It's short for "Association Football" (FIFA in English = International Federation of Association Footballwhich is what its real name is. Since that's a mouthful they just started calling it "soccer" to separate it from the other type of football which was also hugely popular back in the day "Rugby football," which they used to call "Rugger."

So you had "Rugger" and "Soccer." The real question has never been "Why do Americans call it soccer?" It should be "why did the Brits stop?"

they etymology online entry is kinda great:

soccer (n.)

1889, socca, later socker (1891), soccer (1895), originally university slang (with jocular formation -er (3)), from a shortened form of Assoc., abbreviation of association in Football Association (as opposed to Rugby football); compare rugger. An unusual method of formation, but those who did it perhaps shied away from making a name out of the first three letters of Assoc. Compare 1890s English schoolboy slang leccer, from lecture (n.).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/10/2021 at 1:59 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

It's just funny because a couple of weeks ago my son and I were talking about getting an AFC Richmond kit. After this week's episode, we had second thoughts. Maybe we'll wait and see who the new sponsor is.

Does Chico's Bail Bonds have a London operation?

hey guys, i need a bit of advice real quick, and i sincerely appreciate your help.

so i just popped into the Varsity forum, and i see that the Big Brother thread has some new posts. There was a new BB episode tonight, and i haven't watched it yet, although it is on my dvr. i find myself hopelessly lost as to what i should do next. as best i can tell, i have two choices: 

1)pop into that thread, knowing that i haven't seen the latest episode. proceed to read all of tonight's posts, and then lose my shit like a petulant child towards everyone who has posted about tonight's episode, concluding with me announcing to the thread that everyone who posted *SPOILERS* is now on my ignore feature.

or

2)wait until i've watched the latest episode and then click on the thread.

i'm truly at a loss as to which option i should take, and i would really appreciate any advice that you guys could give me. i am really leaning towards wandering into that thread and then shitting all over it when i realize that they've all spoiled me on purpose (fucking derka), but something- who knows what- something is telling me that maybe there's a better way. thank you for your advice.

Believe 

Pffft. I’ve ignored this whole thread until getting caught up with episode 3. Episode 1 was meh, nailed in detail above. Gotta love the Dutch guy. “I hate you and I don’t know you” or whatever that line was was great. Led Tasso, not so much. It’s little disjointed but has steadily worked its way up through episode 3. Roy Kent is great.

• Haha 1

hey guys, i need a bit of advice real quick, and i sincerely appreciate your help.
so i just popped into the Varsity forum, and i see that the Big Brother thread has some new posts. There was a new BB episode tonight, and i haven't watched it yet, although it is on my dvr. i find myself hopelessly lost as to what i should do next. as best i can tell, i have two choices: 
1)pop into that thread, knowing that i haven't seen the latest episode. proceed to read all of tonight's posts, and then lose my shit like a petulant child towards everyone who has posted about tonight's episode, concluding with me announcing to the thread that everyone who posted *SPOILERS* is now on my ignore feature.
or
2)wait until i've watched the latest episode and then click on the thread.
i'm truly at a loss as to which option i should take, and i would really appreciate any advice that you guys could give me. i am really leaning towards wandering into that thread and then shitting all over it when i realize that they've all spoiled me on purpose (fucking derka), but something- who knows what- something is telling me that maybe there's a better way. thank you for your advice.
Believe 

If I were you I’d PM Derka.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

I'd say on streaming stuff a one day moratorium on untahhed spoilers is fair. Not everything is released at midnight local time, and plenty of folks have kids or work or other obligations that are distracting enough to click on a thread after midnight who knows which time zone not expecting any sort of spoilers. Then there are the folks who maybe have time to kill but have to wait until evening when they can watch it with their wife or husband or whatever but still want to see unspoiled reactions to hype themselves up. It's not really a big deal either way, but I feel like this is a decent compromise.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, thepop said:

What a nice episode 

But not particularly funny. The various Christmas traditions seemed forced and highlighted that the supporting cast aren’t very good actors without a decent script. The emergency case of halitosis and door to door search for a dentist was stupid. 

4 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

But not particularly funny. The various Christmas traditions seemed forced and highlighted that the supporting cast aren’t very good actors without a decent script. The emergency case of halitosis and door to door search for a dentist was stupid. 

I think you're going to be in the minority on this one. Everything Roy Kent said was hilarious, plus the ussie kid. That storyline was the best part.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Seeing Santa on Christmas night was completely unrealistic.

Richmond is 4-4-14 at Christmas. 23 draws is the all time season record for draws in English football and a just relegated Prem side is 60% of the way there by Christmas.  I'm gonna say again this show isn't interested in hard core reality.  Or you're on my side and my meter needs one more glass of bourbon

Most draws in a season: 23, joint record:
  • Norwich City (from 42 games, First Division, 1978–79)
  • Exeter City (from 46 games, Fourth Division, 1986–87)
  • Hartlepool United (from 46 games, Third Division, 1997–98)
  • Cardiff City (from 46 games, Third Division, 1997–98)
Edited by Surly Bevo

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I'm gonna say again this show isn't interested in hard core reality.

A show whose premise is an American football coach from a second-rate college coaching an English soccer team isn't interested in hard core reality?

Color me shocked.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

So Sam, back home, what does Christmas make you think of?

Colonization, lol. 

Roy’s expression taking in his niece’s breath… also fantastic. Oh yeah, Rebecca is like a legit musical theater star in the UK, she can really sing. 

Edited by YChang
  • Like 5