Ted Lasso (Apple+)

MillerEP

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

If you listen to his podcast his voice is very soft.  180 from Roy.

Also his voice comes from a total disgust for humanity outside his niece and Keely not some superhero tough guy bullshit.

It's warranted.

i think they've done a nice job with roy.  he doesn't often express himself, so when he does, it's typically something worth listening to (like the scene after the double date).  he's a pretty one-dimensional character, but you have to do that if you're going to carry ~10 meaningful characters in a 35 min show.  they can't all have depth and separate arcs and growth and blah blah.  he's fairly predictable, but in a good way.

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Don’t ask permission like a fucking bitch. Shoot your shot.

Haha, was a shitty joke.  Thought this was better than the first 2 episodes.  The Led Tasso thing was cheesy, elevating Sam was awesome, hopefully Jamie has turned the corner, also enjoyed the sarcasm from sassy's daughter.  There's going to be some interesting hookup coming out of the dating app.

Edited by tx ind

Haha, was a shitty joke.  Thought this was better than the first 2 episodes.  The Led Tasso thing was cheesy, elevating Sam was awesome, hopefully Jamie has turned the corner, also enjoyed the sarcasm from sassy's daughter.  There's going to be some interesting hookup coming out of the dating app.
God damnit spolier that shit, Rex is going to get his feelings hurt.
The Grindr thing was understated and hilarious.  Great to see Sassy back (hot) and yea the daughter was great.  Sam destroying Jamie on the pitch was well done and foreshadowed his growing confidence.  And yea Roy is a bit one dimensional, but that dimension is fucking awesome.  The Dubai Air thing was pretty great play into the intersection of business and sports.

On 8/3/2021 at 9:59 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Did anyone else notice the show Roy went on was called SOCCER Saturday?  I don’t give a shit about soccer, but I know they don’t call it that. 

On 8/3/2021 at 10:24 PM, DDD Dad said:

Yes I noticed that as well.

That show is actually called Soccer Saturday in the UK.

Very good episode. Loved Higgins’ “great email” line trying to pump up Rebecca

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

My wife laughed her ass off at that line (she's a child sleep consultant)

the fuck?  That needs its own thread. 

WTF does a "child sleep consultant" do?   

"Uh...you might want to put a blanket on Junior so he doesn't get cold.  That will be $500"? 

• Haha 1

Roy’s niece kills me, especially when he bought her that doll:

“Zoe’s from the modern line. Her parents were cancelled.”

“Uncle Roy, can we have ice cream for dinner?”

”No, that’s dumb”

”You’re right. Thank you for helping me set boundaries.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

the fuck?  That needs its own thread. 

WTF does a "child sleep consultant" do?   

"Uh...you might want to put a blanket on Junior so he doesn't get cold.  That will be $500"? 

Well, people have kids....people as you know can have lots of "issues"  One of those issues may be that they have trouble understanding that kids love to test boundaries and therefore setting boundaries with their kids (thank you Roy Kent) with things like like sleep can be pretty important.  These same people also can have money.  These people have kids, typically age 0-3 that have the whole family in a death spiral because the kid doesn't go to sleep, bitches and moans all night, the parents don't go to sleep, they grip harder, the kid fights harder...and on and on until everybody is fucking miserable and doesn't know what the fuck to do.  That's where my wife and others like her come in.  

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

God damnit spolier that shit, Rex is going to get his feelings hurt.

As one of the Spoilerati, I want to clarify: other than Derka and his early morning play-by-play episode recap / punchline reveal session, the commenters on this thread have been courteous and I have zero complaints about how y’all have discussed the show.

Carry on.

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

As one of the Spoilerati, I want to clarify: other than Derka and his early morning play-by-play episode recap / punchline reveal session, the commenters on this thread have been courteous and I have zero complaints about how y’all have discussed the show.

Carry on.

pull your head out of your ass and realize that- aside from two other morons- that everyone else here thinks you're retarded for crying about spoilers in a weekly sitcom thread that has never used spoilers, because duh, that's not what they're for.

oh yeah, we also think you're retarded for apparently continuing to read all of my posts even after realizing that you hadn't seen the latest episode, you whiny idiot.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/3/2021 at 9:59 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Did anyone else notice the show Roy went on was called SOCCER Saturday?  I don’t give a shit about soccer, but I know they don’t call it that. 

Fun fact. The Brits made up the term "soccer." It's short for "Association Football" (FIFA in English = International Federation of Association Footballwhich is what its real name is. Since that's a mouthful they just started calling it "soccer" to separate it from the other type of football which was also hugely popular back in the day "Rugby football," which they used to call "Rugger."

So you had "Rugger" and "Soccer." The real question has never been "Why do Americans call it soccer?" It should be "why did the Brits stop?"

• Hook 'Em 2

That was a great episode.

My wife even knew about the Nigeria story with Sam, she pointed out Shell being required to pay Nigeria large sums of money this last winter…. Impressive.

To which we then had a conversation about Oil money and football as she knows my team (Real Madrid) had “Dubai Air” as their kit sponsor. Close enough but after the show she asked about conflicts in the sport with oil money… pointed out how Real Madrid has even gone so far as to remove the cross from the top of their crown on all gear that goes to the Middle East.

That was a really good episode.

Even so much that the game’s result took complete backseat to the rest of the episode.

Ashley Nicole Black, of Black Lady Sketch Show and Full Frontal, wrote it. Her Twitter feed is pretty funny. I was a huge fan of the episode. The kid could have really been bad but she was great. Roy’s niece continues to be awesome too. I like the quick redemption arc of Jamie. I thought I’d be upset with how quick but ultimately wasn’t. A lot of quick jokes worked again too. 

On 8/7/2021 at 5:57 AM, Post Oak said:

The first truly great episode of the season.  

So much to love.  This was the first episode where the shows heart came through. Plus the little jokes that are snuck in and Roy MFin' Kent.

Damn Rebecca is put together.  What a woman.

Yep.  I'm pretty sure she could kick my ass.  But, I'd love every second of it.

Nate's turn to heel is a terrible story line as it is so far removed from the character we all loved.  He's too soft and humble to make the turn and be believeable.  Otherwise it's been great, and the positive vibe is what makes it so great.  I did not enjoy the fact that they didn't play out Ted disappointing Sam with brining Jamie back in some face to face with them.  Ted wouldn't have handled it the way he did.  He would have called sam, and likely the team together to alert them they have decided to bring Jamie back.  Roy Kent is one of the all time great characters on tv.  

Edited by pepper brooks