Several shot during 3rd night of Kenosha riots

clapclapclap

3 minutes ago, Bravo said:

I don't sub to the very down the middle vanity fair but headline reads like Onion article. Screenshot_20211121-185424_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1256194a75635f2b0076a58438599801.jpg

It's a profile of Enrique Tarrio, the chairman of the proud boys (from the articles subtitle). If you scroll down it lets you read the article lol. It's worth a read and it heavily cites everything it's saying. There was a particularly interesting paragraph midway down that's basically the thesis statement of the article:

Cassie Miller, a researcher with the Southern Poverty Law Center, told me that, while there are no clear statistics on the number of people of color in the Proud Boys, “in 2019 we found 44 different chapters, and the [ethnic] makeup varies by location. Different chapters take on a different character.” She added, “I think joining a group like this shows the contradictory places people exist in society and how they look for different ways of achieving power. With this group it’s not just about white supremacy, but also perpetuating a patriarchal society.” Women are not allowed to join the Proud Boys, Miller noted, and neither are transgender men or gender-nonconforming people. 

8 minutes ago, Bravo said:

I don't sub to the very down the middle vanity fair but headline reads like Onion article. Screenshot_20211121-185424_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1256194a75635f2b0076a58438599801.jpg

It opens on my iPad without a sub. It goes into your question of how can the proud boys be white supremacist while having non white people in it. 

Omar Wasow, an assistant professor in the Department of Politics at Princeton University, has been studying race and politics in the United States for nearly two decades, and noted how the shift in what defines whiteness has influenced who is drawn to organizations like the Proud Boys. “White supremacy is not just for white people anymore. You can invite anybody into this ideology and different individuals are motivated by different things,” Wasow said. Born to Cuban immigrants and raised in Little Havana, Miami, Tarrio said he was lured to the group by its atmosphere, which reminded him of his family and childhood. “My house, at like 7 o’clock in the morning, there’s like 20 people...talking about politics, roasting each other...I was brought up in that environment, so that kind of brings me into the fuckery that comes along with being a Proud Boy,” he told Heavy in 2018.

In November, Kyle Chapman, the founder of a “tactical defense arm” of the Proud Boys, attempted to undermine Tarrio and establish the group as explicitly white and anti-Semitic, according to the South Florida Sun Sentinel. But other factions have used their ideologies to draw in a more diverse membership. “I think it’s important to keep in mind that white supremacy has always been composed of multiple strands,” said Wasow. “Some of it is literally about white domination over Black people, but some of it is also about deep anti-Semitism. Some of it in the past has been anti-Catholic and that speaks to how the boundaries of whiteness have changed over time.”

The Proud Boys have also turned to Christianity as a major selling point. According to a screenshot shared on Reddit, prior to his January arrest, Tarrio posted his own rendering of Isaiah 54:17 to the social media site Parler, where many far-right voices have flocked after being kicked off other platforms, before the app itself was widely banished from the internet: “You can’t put an idea in chains…You can’t sue it…You can’t destroy it...The only thing that can defeat it…Is a better idea…So sue me put me in chains or attempt to destroy me. The armor of God protects me.” According to Jason Stanley, author of How Fascism Works and a philosophy professor at Yale, Christianity’s entrenched conservatism is fertile ground for far-right politics. “What you have in the U.S. is Christian nationalism, so Christianity is very central to what’s going on,” Stanley said. “Generally, Black Christians have been the vanguard of Black liberation movements in the United States…so it’s white Christianity with a morality that says there’s a vengeful God who will punish those who don’t follow.” Tarrio’s Proud Boys and Gibson’s Patriot Prayer often invoke Christianity in their rhetoric against the left. “What is right-wing conservative ideology?” said Stanley. “It’s religious, it’s patriarchal, it’s nationalistic.… If your identity is a fundamentalist, homophobic, anti-feminist nationalist, you’re gonna like Trump more than you’re gonna like Kamala Harris.… That’s what Trump represents.”

At its core, the prosperity doctrine of white supremacy is a function of the American idea of meritocracy—that success comes to those who work hard enough. Anyone can buy into that, regardless of whether the system truly works for them. “Think of America from its founding as having a sort of dual state,” Wasow said. “There was a rights-granting democracy for white men, and in particular, white male property owners, and for Native Americans and African Americans there was a sort of predatory state. Native Americans were dispossessed of their land and African Americans of their labor. So you have these two different regimes coexisting in the same political unit of a country.” For people like Tarrio, Gibson, and Toese, it would seem that even proximity to power is better than no power at all. “The Proud Boys work as a kind of gang that is helping to enforce the interests of people in power, but operating at just enough of an arm’s distance that people in power can say, ‘I helped organize the rally but I never intended for people to engage in violence,’” Wasow said. “So there’s a kind of plausible deniability for those within the system that this arrangement allows.”

No idea of the veracity of all that, but they link their sources. I’m not quoting the full article so I don’t longcat things. They also go into how there are various chapters and it’s really hard to document their diversity. 

And Tarrio is Cuban, so I think it’s probably better to refer to him as brown?

Edited by TXSG8R
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bravo said:

OK, so white supremacists group with a number of "brown" people and run by a "brown" person. I'm just saying I don't think this is really a white supremacist group but more of a militant right wing group that wants to fight antifa. They're morons. 

Probably fair, it’s a militant right wing group that includes plenty of white supremacists.  Part of my quote talked about a guy that tried to steer the proud boys exclusively white supremacist.  

Without fascists, there would be no need for anti-fascists...

This Machine Kills Fascists (Woody Guthrie ...

Again, mischievous boys who want to have some fun go on a masquerading frolic to scare the Negroes, but they do not interrupt them, do not hurt them in any way

as compared to drunk hellraiser right wingers looking to face off with antifa who is kinda the same thing for the left.

So, to bring this back on topic, Mr. Rittenhouse would be better served if he disassociated himself from the Proud Boys.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The correct verdict was reached according to the laws of Wisconsin. 

I don’t understand why some, including many on this thread are giddy about it.  (Other than the right decision being reached through a fair trial) 

Firstly, its the correct outcome, regardless of the jurisdiction. Had the jurisdiction or law been different, does not change the obviousness of him defending himself. 

Why am I pleased with the trial and verdict? Because it validates the fucking boneheaded insanity, hypocrisy, ignorance, of the political-ideologues, as demonstrated in this thread over and over again, and more embarassingly in this video below:

4 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Hey look at this rally of CR posters in Portland. Deranged individuals. 

The inescapable stupidity to be supporting Rosenbaum et al after all has been revealed so far…its boundless. 

• Hook 'Em 4

It's not unpredictable that people don't like Rosenbaum's politics.  Half the people in the country dont. 

It's not surprising that people don't like his bringing a rifle on display - I don't either. 

But after 1 year of every pixel of evidence surfaced to the public, and tried in a court of law, and you still have the notion that he's the guiltiest of all parties involved, to the point where you're proudly chanting Rosenbaum and Huber's name in the street.... I think your incurable retardation is a threat to the republic and disqualifies you from ever being able to vote again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, immortal13 said:

I guess Damian Lillard has joined the ranks of the Proud Boys

Ah, yes, a fourth symbol of the thumb and index finger formed in a circle with the three remaining fingers held up--one that is so specific as to be used in this context by someone capable of making the 23 foot 9 inch basket in the NBA as well as players and fans who watch. I'm sure Roger Stone sitting in a bar surrounded by PB members couldn't resist throwing it out there. Or, given he's reportedly quite the swinger, perhaps he and his cohorts were using the Greek interpretation to indicate they are all homosexual and available to party with other like-minded men, NTTAWWT.

If you'd like to discuss the Proud Boys, fascism, and the OK sign further w/o derailing the thread, you've got options on other threads although there is not one specific to PB I don't believe.

It's really not quality Surly when you post the gotchas like that --just the usual nah-nah of a common lowbar internet spat.

Scrolling through every photo of people using a common symbol for the very reasons for why it was used in certain ways that I described in an earlier post would essentially mean discussing context with each and every one. If you didn't read it nor care, then that's on you. If you disagree, then go forth and discuss it, or perhaps relate it to the case which is the topic of this thread.

Trip trap, trip trap, trip trap.....

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t understand why some, including many on this thread are giddy about it.  (Other than the right decision being reached through a fair trial) 

I don’t understand why some, including many on this thread are upset about it.  (Other than the right decision being reached through a fair trial) 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Hate said:

I don’t understand why some, including many on this thread are upset about it.

Because very fine people are going to use this ruling as a weapon to ratchet up political violence and armed demonstration. The last bit of that reporting has the meat of the matter:

YOUSEF: You know, yeah. I mean, that's been so interesting to me because we're kind of seeing two things here. You know, on the one hand, extremists who push for bloodshed in the streets are always going to be focused in on that, and they continue to be. You know, there's concern that they're interpreting the verdict to mean that they can now retake streets that they largely felt they had lost last year. You know, in the immediate aftermath of the George Floyd killing, millions of Americans demonstrated against police brutality and for racial justice. And on the far right, you know, there was this notion that they had lost the streets. So, you know, in a way, the Rittenhouse verdict may be a key turning point for them. But on the other hand, the verdict is also prompting some to call for others within the far right to work through established political channels. Here's Burghart again.

BURGHART: The disturbing thing is there are many on those on the far right who see this as more of an opportunity to engage in the political process to further advance their agenda. You know, the Proud Boys, for instance, were circulating a number of different means saying this trial indicates the importance of getting friends in local office - for instance, they cited the judge in this particular case - as allies.

YOUSEF: You know, there's no evidence that the judge was somehow in their pocket. You know, these extremists are opportunists taking advantage of the moment, but it indicates there may be pursuing an all-prongs approach to move their agenda forward, both within the political system and on the streets

So it's more that were already seeing Rittenhouse sausage be made by violent racist insurrectionists organizations. And we see all of the same rhetoric, talking points, and memes posted in this thread

15 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Perfect choice of words. Just like this case, where there is a video showing clear self defense, there is a transcript to easily disprove this false narrative. 

The radicals don’t care. It’s too important to the movement, and even though these lies are easily verifiable, the zealots double down on the propaganda. They need the lies to continue to spread hate and division. It’s a feature. 

Every Captifa accusation is a confession

Facts are just an inconvenience for these midgets. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 2

All these headlines with this type of message…but we are ok with rioting, looting, and burning businesses in lue of legitimate protests? Zero outrage over what started this and happens every time there is some perceived atrocity. 

“Destroying property and stealing? The people are outraged and we can’t blame them! People shooting thieves and trespassers or defending themselves from attack? Why is America ok with this violence?!?!?!”

image.thumb.png.b280f3fbc9a65f1bde667e65b52fb287.png

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

All these headlines with this type of message…but we are ok with rioting, looting, and burning businesses in lue of legitimate protests? Zero outrage over what started this and happens every time there is some perceived atrocity. 

“Destroying property and stealing? The people are outraged and we can’t blame them! People shooting thieves and trespassers or defending themselves from attack? Why is America ok with this violence?!?!?!”

image.thumb.png.b280f3fbc9a65f1bde667e65b52fb287.png

5v3l35.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

40 minutes ago, Hate said:

I don’t understand why some, including many on this thread are upset about it.  (Other than the right decision being reached through a fair trial) 

Have any police groups reacted to the verdict?  I’m curious whether they are concerned this might result in more guns at protests and counter protests that they need to deal with while trying to keep the peace when shit escalates beyond peaceful protest.

I think that’s where some people have a fear that may or may not prove legitimate.  KR was not guilty as charged, that was correct for this individual case, but is the societal effect of the verdict going to be a negative?  Are we going to see more guns at rallies and protests and a scaling up of violence and death that those guns enable?

The police are going to have the same responsibility either way.  They have to try to maintain law and order at a BLM protest in Kenosha or Stop The Steal rally at the capitol.  They clearly struggled if not failed to do so last year.

Going forward, are we going to see a higher ratio of guns per protester/counter protester at these events?  Are they going to use them to defend themselves when they fear they are in danger?  Are those incidents going to all be as justified as KRs was?  Are the police going to better be able to maintain law and order in that context?

I dunno.  Maybe more people just fucking stay at home.  That would be nice.  But if they don’t and we see an escalation of violence, then the KR verdict will ultimately be a victory for 3%ers over a society that wants law, order and peace.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

but is the societal effect of the verdict going to be a negative?  Are we going to see more guns at rallies and protests and a scaling up of violence and death that those guns enable?

I dunno.  Maybe more people just fucking stay at home.  That would be nice.  But if they don’t and we see an escalation of violence, then the KR verdict will ultimately be a victory for 3%ers over a society that wants law, order and peace.

I wouldn't have attended this type of rally before this incident.  I still wouldn't attend this type of rally after the incident.

Some of the extremist retards on both sides are still going to attend... and still gonna get into a fracas... and I'll still be here to ridicule the inanity of it all.

The more things change...the more they stay the same.

• Hook 'Em 3

45 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:
The radicals don’t care. It’s too important to the movement, and even though these lies are easily verifiable, the zealots double down on the propaganda. They need the lies to continue to spread hate and division. It’s a feature. 

I know "both sides" are the naughty words around here, but this fits the "both sides" bill better than any post I've ever seen on this site.

At this point, the only thing that will save this country is an external enemy, because we are beyond self-motivated repair, at this point. I've never seen people more ferociously divided. A nation throwing stones at each other over a situation that has nothing to do with them hundreds of miles away. Let's just get this whole thing over with before my children are of age to serve so I am the one on the front lines, not them.

Edited by Eastwood
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I wouldn't have attended this type of rally before this incident.  I still wouldn't attend this type of rally after the incident.

Some of the extremist retards on both sides are still going to attend... and still gonna get into a fracas... and I'll still be here to ridicule the inanity of it all.

The more things change...the more they stay the same.

Same boat here, I didn’t attend any of the shit last year, and I agree that extremist retards will still attend and still engage each other.

What I think remains to be determined are whether the extremist retards on both sides are going to use this to arm themselves more thoroughly and act to protect themselves more aggressively when they choose to put themselves in harms way.

Do we see less barroom brawl and more gunfight from Heat? Have any law enforcement groups expressed any concern over this? Because they have the same mission to preserve law and order either way.

I have no idea if this is how it works out, but it would not be an illogical butterfly effect stemming from this lawfully correct verdict.

How many riots were there after the acquittal last week?  How many buildings were destroyed?  I hope maybe this case has made everyone aware of just how fucking stupid the rioting and burning is and that all protests going forward are actually peaceful. 

• Hook 'Em 4

The sad part of all of this is if the police does their job and quells the riots on day 2 and beyond then this never happens.

If the city administrators allowed to let their city burn to “de-escalate” the situation, they are at fault in this.

If the governor refused to deploy the NG to quell the riots, they are at fault at well.

Refusing to shutdown the riots out if some misguided idea that the rioters will just go back to being peaceful protesters is the problem.

I fully understand and agree with the right for peaceful protest, but the rule of the mob and the wanton destruction of public property needs to be seriously cracked down on.  You start a fire, you go to jail for arson. Loot a store, you get hammered for breaking and entering and theft. 

If the systems that are supposed to be in place fail to protect what they are supposed to, people will begin to try to do it themselves. At some point this will boil over into full scale vigilantly-ism and continue to spiral out of control. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

The sad part of all of this is if the police does their job and quells the riots on day 2 and beyond then this never happens.

If the city administrators allowed to let their city burn to “de-escalate” the situation, they are at fault in this.

If the governor refused to deploy the NG to quell the riots, they are at fault at well.

Refusing to shutdown the riots out if some misguided idea that the rioters will just go back to being peaceful protesters is the problem.

I fully understand and agree with the right for peaceful protest, but the rule of the mob and the wanton destruction of public property needs to be seriously cracked down on.  You start a fire, you go to jail for arson. Loot a store, you get hammered for breaking and entering and theft. 

If the systems that are supposed to be in place fail to protect what they are supposed to, people will begin to try to do it themselves. At some point this will boil over into full scale vigilantly-ism and continue to spiral out of control. 

I completely agree on this, but you know where this will lead immediately.  Half of this board will start comparing Kenosha (or whatever US City) to Tiananmen Square. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hate said:

How many riots were there after the acquittal last week?  How many buildings were destroyed?  I hope maybe this case has made everyone aware of just how fucking stupid the rioting and burning is and that all protests going forward are actually peaceful. 

Here here.  I think we’ll know more as events happen that galvanize people to protest and counter protest.  The next George Floyd incident, the next incident of a “stolen election”, etc...

Again, in an attempt to stay on topic--there have been some really good posts--the last few in particular so rep for those. One thing that really got me wasn't the verdict-I do agree with @Hate on that take, was when he was talking about not understanding the 'upset' that people felt. I think it's a gamut really. You've got percentages of 'upset,' for lack of a better word. Some may be because they worry about how this can be used in ways to further specific agendas by extremist groups (see above), you've got people who view the 'system' from a different lens due to their own experiences, and on and on.

One thing that I was struggling with regarding the whole episode--not just the trial and the circus surrounding it, but prior to that even was viewing this from the society angle as a parent who was once a child and what that is like for various Americans and violence in the home. This whole event got started because of domestic violence (Jacob Blake) and (perhaps in the case of Rosenbaum who was charged at 17 but I'm only speculating that he himself was abused but he fits a profile, especially since sexual offenders of boys have a higher recidivism rate ) sexual abuse/violence and the police. We don't seem to do a very good job of dealing with this and we reap the events that spring out of it. Sure, people made choices, but if I have any 'upsetness', it's over the repetitive cycle we create when we treat symptoms and not causes and that includes Kyle Rittenhouse and the rest of the parties involved. It's rather easy to toss off that Rosenbaum 'deserved' to die. Actually, IMO, he didn't deserve to die. He did die, because he reached out to potentially harm another citizen who then shot him in fear for his life. I won't speculate whether he 'wanted' to die given his earlier suicide attempts, but again, it was a collision course of events pouring out of the wellspring of family and society dysfunction. As was stated earlier multiple times by multiple people-there aren't really any heroes here, nor martyrs just a failing by all of us to work together proactively.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Evers stoked the flames on twitter immediately after the Blake shooting.  His subsequent refusal to deploy NG was icing on the cake.  He is a fucking scumbag.

He deployed them on Monday after the police were overwhelmed and despite being called out for it by the ACLU, eventually adding over 1000 guardspersons, so where did you find this? I didn't follow that part very closely. I also didn't follow the twitters though.

7 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

He deployed them on Monday after the police were overwhelmed and despite being called out for it by the ACLU, eventually adding over 1000 guardspersons, so where did you find this? I didn't follow that part very closely. I also didn't follow the twitters though.

I misspoke and apologize.  He did "limited mobilization"(his words)of 125 and refused further federal help.

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

But after 1 year of every pixel of evidence surfaced to the public, and tried in a court of law, and you still have the notion that he's the guiltiest of all parties involved, to the point where you're proudly chanting Rosenbaum and Huber's name in the street.... I think your incurable retardation is a threat to the republic and disqualifies you from ever being able to vote again.

I'm not chanting any of those guys names, and I'm not claiming anyone is guilty, because that is a legal term, but that doesn't mean it's not pretty easy to find that Rittenhouse is the most at fault, irresponsible, etc.  

People make the simple calculation that Rittenhouse was a dumbfuck and aren't remotely concerned with the specific background of the folks he shot.

Look, the issue a lot of us have with this is very simple. 

Regular citizens should not be able to open carry and LARP as militia. Even moreso in these volatile situations. It should not be legal. Seeing a 17 year old do it with an AR-15 in hand is nauseating. 

It looks like the right verdict was reached. But there is understandable concern that we've opened Pandora's Box. Is looting good? Of course not. Is the answer to have any regular Joe legally open carry?  FUCK NO. 

Feels like a lot of people on the right are actively hoping more citizens open carry in public. This is madness. Use your fucking brains. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Regular citizens should not be able to open carry and LARP as militia. Even moreso in these volatile situations. It should not be legal. Seeing a 17 year old do it with an AR-15 in hand is nauseating. 

It looks like the right verdict was reached. But there is understandable concern that we've opened Pandora's Box. Is looting good? Of course not. Is the answer to have any regular Joe legally open carry?  FUCK NO. 

Feels like a lot of people on the right are actively hoping more citizens open carry in public. This is madness. Use your fucking brains. 

But laws didn't prevent GG from carrying concealed illegally. Petition your representatives for more gun laws if you think that is the answer. Open carry of long guns had been legal for a long time in many states, including Texas. There would never have been a shooting if KR wasn't attacked. He was not the instigator by merely carrying the AR. A nutjob snowflake was triggered because he saw him with the rifle. That is what happened and we know that because we have 1080p video that proves it. But please continue to place blame wherever it is most convenient to your political ideology 

24 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

But laws didn't prevent GG from carrying concealed illegally. Petition your representatives for more gun laws if you think that is the answer. Open carry of long guns had been legal for a long time in many states, including Texas. There would never have been a shooting if KR wasn't attacked. He was not the instigator by merely carrying the AR. A nutjob snowflake was triggered because he saw him with the rifle. That is what happened and we know that because we have 1080p video that proves it. But please continue to place blame wherever it is most convenient to your political ideology 

I don't have anything to add other than I've been staring at your avatar for 3 min and wanted to thank you...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I think this is an astonishingly terrible take. 

This is all stupid from all angles. Everyone out doing shit like this is looking to start shit. The problem is everyone wants to start shit and are within their rights to start shit. 

The actual things people are protesting aren't FAAFO events and thats why it sparks outrage, but these people are all Fucking around and finding out.

There were many very peaceful demonstrations where people were quietly and powerfully demonstrating "I can't breath" etc. You don't need to shout and get in peoples faces and inconvenience a whole city with a "look at me I am outraged" rally, but that's totally within peoples rights to do. 

The issue you should have with this is that everyone is a fucking jackass who thinks they are the next MLK or something, all these people are fucking losers who are LARPING with and without guns.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

I think this is an astonishingly terrible take. 

This is all stupid from all angles. Everyone out doing shit like this is looking to start shit. The problem is everyone wants to start shit and are within their rights to start shit. 

The actual things people are protesting aren't FAAFO events and thats why it sparks outrage, but these people are all Fucking around and finding out.

There were many very peaceful demonstrations where people were quietly and powerfully demonstrating "I can't breath" etc. You don't need to shout and get in peoples faces and inconvenience a whole city with a "look at me I am outraged" rally, but that's totally within peoples rights to do. 

The issue you should have with this is that everyone is a fucking jackass who thinks they are the next MLK or something, all these people are fucking losers who are LARPING with and without guns.

So basically you're saying 'don't start no shit, won't be no shit' right?

4 hours ago, Hate said:

I will happily provide my point of view if you are confused. 

The correct decision was reached. I am glad Mr. Rittenhouse was given a fair trial and judged correctly by a jury of his peers. I am upset by the fact that I live in a country where a teenager is allowed to own an assault rife, travel hundreds of miles, and shoot someone if they feel threatened. Yes, he defended himself.  I get it. Those are the laws. It's sad some want to live in a country where this situation happens. I don't want to live in the wild wild west where everyone carries a gun around and if you feel threatened you are okay to kill that person. 

I get it, most people want to spike the football, own the libs, and laugh at the false narrative that the fake news created in this case. Fine

That still doesn't change my point. 

4 hours ago, Eastwood said:

At this point, the only thing that will save this country is an external enemy, because we are beyond self-motivated repair, at this point.

A foreign born plague might bring the country together?... lol nope.  We’d rather die by the thousands.  Killer clowns from outer space might be our only hope and even then I’m skeptical many would be on team clown. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1