Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

5 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

image.gif.9097f5829ffee4b4a89938c84e1bfd93.gif

As fucked up as it may sound, and I would consider myself a very good cook, it just didn’t work for me. My wife agreed that the recipe just was missing something. Maybe it’s that neither of us grew up in SA but that recipe just tasted like cafeteria food (maybe that’s the point?) 

Flame away but my cooking posts stand on their own otherwise. B

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, my half brother…from Fargo…is in town. Gifted us with this:

02eafde92f0feee181983932dd8cecc5.jpg

So…being that this is the enchiladas thread….here we go:

da2b4e69f4702cdb81c4d418fbc68c89.jpg

I dare one of y’all to make those.

And if you’re feeling super adventurous, tackle this one. But first, you need a can of tamales:

3cd200fe2d479ab8936962e5c590643f.jpg

I’m not gonna lie, the recipes with ground beef and tator tots look like they’ll eat. And the breakfast casserole recipes actually look good.

But dear lord, midwestern people…y’all just aren’t good at the “anything remotely spicy or ethnic” thing.

You should have put a spoiler on that post!  I can't unsee the horror. 

Cheese Whiz enchiladas?

• Hook 'Em 1

You should have put a spoiler on that post!  I can't unsee the horror. 
Cheese Whiz enchiladas?

Uhh lots of folks round here make lots of enchiladas and queso with Velveeta which is not much different than CheeseWhiz. The real issue is the total lack of seasoning in these, not even salt or pepper. Also the typical Yankee practice of using flour tortillas in enchiladas….blecchh.

It does say in the fine print… “make it modern! Sub cheddar cheese for the cheese whiz!”

A 1/4 cup of green onion and an entire teaspoon of chili powder is all the flavoring in the dish.

I worked for a company based in Des Moines and they can make some blandass shit. These hot dishes are typical. I love the concept when it’s 3 degrees outside but can we actually season the food? Also Loose Meat. Plain ground beef, no seasoning, on a plain white bun.

That's not the loose meat sammich I'm used to  Maid-Rite, etc. makes a pretty delicious fast food sloppy joe.  Ground beef, onions, salt, pepper, some mustard, maybe a little ketchup, a little stock or water to keep it true to "loose".

The Maid Rite I was taken to was awful. Plainer than what they’d serve in a hospital.

On the other hand, my time in Des Moines had lots of great food such as pork tenderloin sandwiches, Ted’s Coney Island, great Italian, and 801 Steakhouse.

My wife is from Tennessee and grew up on those hormel canned tamales. Even though she loves great tamales she gets a hankering for these a couple times a year. She doesn’t eat that awful sauce though. It’s a comfort food thing.

I think they are made with the scraps left after making Vienna sausage, chorizo, and spam

19 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Tamales in a can? What the fuck? 

Don’t look unless you want your eyes to burn 

Hide contents

image.png.bdd20241b90bcf8a65a9e8dae9aa33bf.png
image.thumb.jpeg.cee3de2c9fc7e87667ca8d296cc0a52d.jpeg

didn't someone around here get a can (on a dare or after losing a bet) and not take the paper wrapper off them before eating?

Y'all know this, but if you consider the history of who settled where and what was available when many of the recipes became tradition it does make sense. The upper midwest and carb filled bakeries, fish frys, and beer because no one was growing jalapenos in January and it's not like a 1950/60s grocery was likely to carry them either, although chili powder may have been available....I guess I don't worry about it too much. My late grandmother-in-law was born in a sod house and canned everything because they didn't have electricity until the late 1950's or early 1960's. They went to the grocery store once a month she said, so the idea of cheese enchiladas fresh made would've seemed beyond exotic.

42 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Y'all know this, but if you consider the history of who settled where and what was available when many of the recipes became tradition it does make sense. The upper midwest and carb filled bakeries, fish frys, and beer because no one was growing jalapenos in January and it's not like a 1950/60s grocery was likely to carry them either, although chili powder may have been available....I guess I don't worry about it too much. My late grandmother-in-law was born in a sod house and canned everything because they didn't have electricity until the late 1950's or early 1960's. They went to the grocery store once a month she said, so the idea of cheese enchiladas fresh made would've seemed beyond exotic.

Sure sure. But they know better now, and here we are. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 7:18 PM, Brisketexan said:

So, my half brother…from Fargo…is in town. Gifted us with this:

02eafde92f0feee181983932dd8cecc5.jpg

So…being that this is the enchiladas thread….here we go:

da2b4e69f4702cdb81c4d418fbc68c89.jpg

I dare one of y’all to make those.

And if you’re feeling super adventurous, tackle this one. But first, you need a can of tamales:

3cd200fe2d479ab8936962e5c590643f.jpg

I’m not gonna lie, the recipes with ground beef and tator tots look like they’ll eat. And the breakfast casserole recipes actually look good.

But dear lord, midwestern people…y’all just aren’t good at the “anything remotely spicy or ethnic” thing.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057594723328&mibextid=LQQJ4d

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Mexican baloney salad. Remember to pull off the red wrapper. The French dressing to be period correct would be that orange stuff in a bottle. Kidney beans. WTF made it Mexican?

The beans and then the bologna being rolled to resemble a quasi tamale? I got rid of most of the old cookbooks I inherited (which I occasionally regret) and it was quite the read to examine them from today's perspective.

47 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The beans and then the bologna being rolled to resemble a quasi tamale? I got rid of most of the old cookbooks I inherited (which I occasionally regret) and it was quite the read to examine them from today's perspective.

I love those old cookbooks.

We hold a throwback party once per year, everyone breaks out all the old 60s/70s/80s cookbook recipes for freaky hours d'ouvres and bizarre casseroles and jello molds, oh the wonderful terrible jello molds.  We do throwback mixed drinks and cocktails too.  Harvey Wallbangers are the house specialty.

This recipe would fit our party perfectly and I have made a note to catalog it in order to reproduce it in all its glory.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I probably should've kept them but we moved a number of times and so I ended up keeping the Betty Crocker cookbook that belonged to my spouse's grandmother but let go of some real gems w/respect to wtf recipes. The regional and/or church cookbooks or the ones the natural gas companies used to hand out are rather enlightening when one considers historical events of the time period, food supply chains, locale, social aspirations, food science and nutrition, and so on.

To continue your theme, here is something BC labels as "Mexican Ambrosia" circa 1956: Heap snowy shredded coconut over slice of fresh or drained canned pineapple on each dessert plate.

I give the Betty (as we call it) some credit where credit is due, however. For the young person starting out on their own, it was a nice supplement to whatever one picked up at home--techniques and tested recipes that were very basic and easy to read. Not intimidating in the slightest. While THE Julia was an entertaining and educational cook, so too was the BC brand (aligned with the products mainly General Mills) as it morphed from a radio program to a television show and the pamplets and cookbooks. Maybe a little bit of hokey capitalism but for cooks in areas where certain kinds of ingredients were nonexistent or barely heard of, at least one could become a capable enough provider of meals.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/9/2024 at 8:19 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

I probably should've kept them but we moved a number of times and so I ended up keeping the Betty Crocker cookbook that belonged to my spouse's grandmother but let go of some real gems w/respect to wtf recipes. The regional and/or church cookbooks or the ones the natural gas companies used to hand out are rather enlightening when one considers historical events of the time period, food supply chains, locale, social aspirations, food science and nutrition, and so on.

To continue your theme, here is something BC labels as "Mexican Ambrosia" circa 1956: Heap snowy shredded coconut over slice of fresh or drained canned pineapple on each dessert plate.

I give the Betty (as we call it) some credit where credit is due, however. For the young person starting out on their own, it was a nice supplement to whatever one picked up at home--techniques and tested recipes that were very basic and easy to read. Not intimidating in the slightest. While THE Julia was an entertaining and educational cook, so too was the BC brand (aligned with the products mainly General Mills) as it morphed from a radio program to a television show and the pamplets and cookbooks. Maybe a little bit of hokey capitalism but for cooks in areas where certain kinds of ingredients were nonexistent or barely heard of, at least one could become a capable enough provider of meals.

max miller answers the question:

On 1/8/2024 at 10:44 PM, utee94 said:

I love those old cookbooks.

We hold a throwback party once per year, everyone breaks out all the old 60s/70s/80s cookbook recipes for freaky hours d'ouvres and bizarre casseroles and jello molds, oh the wonderful terrible jello molds.  We do throwback mixed drinks and cocktails too.  Harvey Wallbangers are the house specialty.

This recipe would fit our party perfectly and I have made a note to catalog it in order to reproduce it in all its glory.

pics

Sorry for the derail. If there isn't a thread on old recipes that perhaps should never be resurrected then there had ought to be. I know there was/is a guy on social media/YouTube that makes old sometimes odd, sometimes wtf, sometimes hey that doesn't look too bad recipes from forgotten cookbooks and blogs about it, but the potential on Surly to find the strangest ones is limitless as witnessed by the salad above.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/18/2023 at 6:16 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I feel like Mi Tierra is like the Salt Lick of Tex-Mex.  It's a great place to take visitors, they'll love it.  It's edible (or better).  It's not the best.

For me, when I'm in San Antonio, I *am* a visitor.  I never mind lunch at Mi Tierra.

I never mind going there and they are always open. SA has great Tex Mex but I have noticed that Mi Tierra is always full of Mexicans, with all the options in SA they still go to Mi Tierra and they’re locals! The only thing I don’t like is the guys walking around wanting to sing for you, annoying.  

edit-what place in SA isn’t full of Mexicans? I think my 8% Mexican DNA allows me to ask that question. 

#noracist. 

• Hook 'Em 1