Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

so he is aiming to have ~21 HS recruits on campus + 64 transfers? so somewhere in the range of 5-6 incoming HS players in every class?

GIF by Giphy QA

i truly wish him the best of luck with this concept, because there is 0 chance that works at the P5 level. you just are going to reload via the portal every year at key positions and not really even try to develop dudes? what if you need LBs badly but the LBs in the portal all suck or don't want to come to your school (see Texas A&M last year)? this is not a short/medium/long term plan for success. what if you need a QB but Bama or Michigan or Texas do as well and outbid you on the NIL front?

too many bad things can happen on that front and you don't have enough control.

plus you have to hit on so many dudes when you are taking <10 from HS per class. magnifies any mistakes in evaluations you make - and EVERYONE has mistakes with evaluations.

I believe he said that was his goal for the first two years only.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ATXhorn17 said:

If any other ~4 win team received wall-to-wall, 24/7 coverage on ESPN/FOX (ex: announcers disrupting other games to hype up said team), they’d get clowned for getting beat by 40 too…

No matter how much RG3 and others try to push the racism narrative, it’s not racism lol.

This. 

1)  Seems like most people actually want Deion to do well.

2)  Football people knew that this was all smoke and mirrors.  CU wasn't 3 score underdogs because people hate Deion.  It's because CU is rebuilding and still sucks.  And the people who do know better generally don't care for manufactured hype and industry plants. And yes Deion does help fuel this, but other coaches doing the same thing would not get the same national exposure.

I fall into both categories.  I think Deion is actually a good coach.  I've said repeatedly that he can make a bowl this year, but that he's also not fielding a ranked team.  I think the spectacle of this early season was mostly media fabricated with Deion fueling it.  I blame ESPN et al. more than Deion for it.

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

I feel like with that strategy his ceiling will be like Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss....that 8-9 win range.

I don't think it's meant to be a longterm strategy.  To some extent every new head coach does this now to turnover the roster quickly.

18 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I chuckled imagining that Thatguy thinks white people hang out at their family gatherings in their work clothes. Or that white people talk the same at work as they do at their family gatherings.

There is a wide range of code-switching and obviously it's more dramatic for some cultures, but the line about how they might wear different clothes at a family gathering than they do at work was pretty funny. No shit.

Fragility- How does it work? Here is someone being willfully obtuse because the topic hurts too much. Black people are 14% of the population and 7% of the corporate work force. Middle class blacks spend their entire day in white spaces. School. Work. Grocery store. Gym. You name it. In fact, navigating white spaces is a requirement for survival, while white people generally avoid black spaces. So you can miss me with that "I chuckled imagining that Thatguy" shite. I can look over my fence in all directions and see what y'all are doing. Lol. Carry on with the we hate Sanders because he is shucking and jiving and wearing chains and shades.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

I think it is great that Deion has people talking about Colorado football for the first time since....when Kordell Stewart played there? That is great for football. 

But I'm a little tired about all the big talking but easily being offended stuff. And the "I keep receipts" BS is already getting tiring. You can't want everyone talking about you AND have rabbit ears. I hope he either tones down playing the victim or the media stops telling me about all the times he takes offense. I know it is just one of the tools he is using but it is already wearing me down 4 games in. 

I will speak for no one, but I suspect some of the people rooting against Prime have to just be further along the line of just being tired of seeing and hearing him everywhere. 

Countdown to Deion interview on ESPN because someone said that Lincoln Riley said something to someone about Prime's gold Lambo or some other petty shit and "Deion has receipts!"

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Thatguy said:

So you are telling me, a black person, that I have no idea what the majority of black people do. You do realize that me and you can meet the same black person and you aren't going to get the real person right? How they greet you and talk to you will be code switching and how I greet and talk to them will be totally different. What we dress like at the job and what we dress like at a family gathering may be night and day different. I am not saying EVERY black person is out there sporting gold chains, but I am saying you sure as shit aren't going to know the community unless you get welcomed in someone's family and come to some gatherings. Carl at the job isn't going to pull back the curtain. He is going to give you Tony Dungy. Meanwhile you say the things that Sanders is doing aren't inherently black traits. Where the hell do you think he got them? Maybe you need to watch these....

https://www.pbs.org/video/code-switching-being-openly-black-zxqh0i/

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Fragility- How does it work? Here is someone being willfully obtuse because the topic hurts too much. Black people are 14% of the population and 7% of the corporate work force. Middle class blacks spend their entire day in white spaces. School. Work. Grocery store. Gym. You name it. In fact, navigating white spaces is a requirement for survival, while white people generally avoid black spaces. So you can miss me with that "I chuckled imagining that Thatguy" shite. I can look over my fence in all directions and see what y'all are doing. Lol. Carry on with the we hate Sanders because he is shucking and jiving and wearing chains and shades.

The alternative is to be "that guy" aka a Token?

• Like 1

I don't understand what y'all are arguing. Deion is a known personality for like the last 30 years. And people were complaining about the same things 30 years ago as I can vividly remember my dad mocking "Neon Deion" Sanders when he was with the hated 49ers against his beloved Cowboys.

And then I remember when he was suddenly a fan and he called him Neon Deion unironically when he was on his favorite team the next years.

--

What y'all got ain't nothin' new. Deion's flamboyancy has always been hard on people. You can't stop what's coming. It ain't all waiting on you.

I’m up in the air on this dude.

I hated it when the Cowboys got him. I don’t think they needed him, and I think it that it was nothing more than Jerry Jones hubris that brought him to Dallas. After a few more years of that, I’m no longer a Dallas fan. Hell, I feel sorry for Cowboys fans. They have an owner who wants to make a lot of money and be on the front page, but he doesn’t really give a shit about winning it all since he’s done that before.

I thought Deion was a pussy in the run game. When it got tough. He was real good at what he did: cover and make big plays on defense and special teams. He was a highlight video. But man, when it was him, mano y mano against some really big dudes, he pussed out. 

I know. Nice story bro. Prime Academy showed some more of the same for me. All flash, little substance. I would be more impressed with the dude if he had stayed at a HBCU and turned things upside down. It would have felt more genuine to me. 

Deion is real good at what he does: self promote. And to be fair, that extends to his kids. I can’t blame him, I promote my kids all the time. I don’t think it’s going to work, in the end. It might be pervasive racism, it might be just the “system” holding him down. He’s trying to be a change agent, but having watched him as a player I just don’t think he has the fundamental toughness to get it done. 

It’s good that he’s doing what he’s doing though. Maybe it’ll make it easier on the next dude.

If you didn’t like Deion when he was in the league it’s because racism. If, somehow, your racism allowed you to like other black players at that time it’s only because they were code switching for your benefit. Everyone knows this.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 4:40 PM, Hank_Hill said:

Sumlin was fighting for cultural change via pimp canes and swag copters. Just like Ali.

Sumlin also broke aggy cultural norms by winning more than 8 games that first season.  Luckily for aggy he regressed to the mean pretty quickly and didn’t mess up another aggy tradition.  Jimbo is a lock to keep the tradition of having a shitty football team going.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

If you didn’t like Deion when he was in the league it’s because racism. If, somehow, your racism allowed you to like other black players at that time it’s only because they were code switching for your benefit. Everyone knows this.

If you dont like Deion thats fine. But this line of reasoning that "i cant be racist, my favorite players are black" sounds a lot like "i cant be racist, i have black friends".

How about if you arent a racist you dont have to constantly tell me youre not a racist.

• Hook 'Em 6

7 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I don't understand what y'all are arguing. Deion is a known personality for like the last 30 years. And people were complaining about the same things 30 years ago as I can vividly remember my dad mocking "Neon Deion" Sanders when he was with the hated 49ers against his beloved Cowboys.

And then I remember when he was suddenly a fan and he called him Neon Deion unironically when he was on his favorite team the next years.

--

What y'all got ain't nothin' new. Deion's flamboyancy has always been hard on people. You can't stop what's coming. It ain't all waiting on you.

Who says I want to?  The funny thing is how some folks act as if we're not allowed to comment.  He has always been s clown show.  When you see a circus, it's Ok to talk about the fucking tents and acrobats, right?  But clowns are off limits.

Fuck that.   If you're gonna showboat, then all bets are off.  You get what's coming to you.  You run your fucking mouth all the time, and you get to sit there and take it when the assbeating occurs.  #JoeyMcGuiretoo  Can we hate on the white guy?

Edited by slorch

Jerry Jones bringing Switzer and Sanders to the Cowboys allowed me to completely abandon the Cowboys. The Oilers leaving Houston allowed me to give up the NFL without looking back.

To say disliking Sanders is necessarily racist is to say the Sanders is the personification of all things Black. He's not, IMHO, although it's not for me to define Black. I do know that assuming he represents Black culture to such a degree that disliking him can only be racist sounds racist itself. You're just choosing one stereotype over another.

I'm a white man continually finding shades of racism within that I didn't realize were there. I do believe that any group of humans will have diversity within it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I was too young to remember Deion for most of his NFL career. I’m shocked reading all these comments saying people hated that the cowboys signed him. He’s pretty unanimously regarded as one of the best corners ever. He also wasn’t a criminal of the field as far as I know. I can’t imagine hating a guy like that on my team. I guess if you’re a gossiper and into all the off field publicity stuff it’d be annoying. I don’t have the feminine energy in me to care about that I guess. 

It was because he was at the hated 49ers and kept the Cowboys from getting a 3 peat. He was also a mercenary. But if you can't beat them, pay them a lot of money to play for you.

So people also enjoy watching Deion get destroyed.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

I am so tired of this crap already (SIAP - didn't see it earlier in thread). 

Oregon handed Colorado and head coach Deion Sanders their first loss of the season with a 42-6 blowout win in Eugene on Saturday. The Ducks left no doubt who was the better team, out-gaining the Buffaloes by 323 yards and sacking star quarterback Shedeur Sanders seven times. However, USC legend Keyshawn Johnson says coaches from other schools helped Oregon game plan to beat Colorado out of spite.

"I spoke to somebody in the coaching fraternity right after the game," Johnson said Monday on FS1's Undisputed. "They know some people that coach at Oregon. They told me that information was being given to that staff about game planning against Colorado so that Oregon could beat them. They were stacking against them. I ain't making this up."

I don't know, maybe it's called scouting your opponent and watching game film?

https://247sports.com/Article/coaches-gave-oregon-intel-on-how-to-beat-colorado-keyshawn-johnson-claims-as-buffaloes-prep-for-usc-216916134/

Edited by sasquatch69

4 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Cover corner.  He never met a tackle he didn't want to backpedal away from.  He was a pussy that way.  Similar to Trevon Diggs (ducks).

Yeah I’ll take an elite coverage guy over a good tackler any day from the corner position. Add in the kick return ability and it’s not even a question. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yeah I’ll take an elite coverage guy over a good tackler any day from the corner position. Add in the kick return ability and it’s not even a question. 

Valid  I'm not a Cowboy fan so don't really have a dog in the hunt.  I was really just over here to see if the great race war had started.

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

If you dont like Deion thats fine. But this line of reasoning that "i cant be racist, my favorite players are black" sounds a lot like "i cant be racist, i have black friends".

How about if you arent a racist you dont have to constantly tell me youre not a racist.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

https://247sports.com/Article/coaches-gave-oregon-intel-on-how-to-beat-colorado-keyshawn-johnson-claims-as-buffaloes-prep-for-usc-216916134/

Yeah, that sounds pretty stupid. Dan Lanning was a very successful DC in the SEC before getting the Oregon job. To think he needs help to shut down the Colorado offense is ridiculous. Did CSU need help the previous week when they were wrecking shop against the CU offense as well? 

This is the kind of shit that everyone is talking about from the media. Colorado is not a good football team, that's partly Deion's fault but not completely. There is only so much roster you can turn over in 6 months. I wonder what Johnson's view is going to be next week when his alma mater does the same thing?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

To say disliking Sanders is necessarily racist is to say the Sanders is the personification of all things Black. He's not, IMHO, although it's not for me to define Black. I do know that assuming he represents Black culture to such a degree that disliking him can only be racist sounds racist itself. You're just choosing one stereotype over another.

This is exactly my point. My wife and I have a part in various hands on work with economically challenged communities including interviewing prospective students with the dream/desire to pursue a career in the sciences but not the financial ability to do so. For background my wife is first generation Mexican/American. She's not only the first in her family to go to college but earned a PHD. One of the challenges she's had is her education level being scoffed at by members of her family/Mexican community as a sign she's "too white" and "a coconut". Even to this day in 2023 she's partially shunned as an outsider in her own community because being educated to that degree is considered only a white people's thing. 

Well many of the exceptional young black and latino students interviewed have confided the same things when asked about some of their biggest challenges. That being reserved, respectful, and a great student who loves math and science get contrived as too white and not black enough. They don't feel accepted or that they fully fit in with their families and community. Many to the point they will "dumb down" publicly and pretend to like things they don't just to have acceptance. 

IMO people like Deion pretending like wearing gold chains, listening to rap/wearing shades all the time, and being a flashy loud mouth are emblematic of what it means to be black in America are a big part of the problem. People celebrating him and demanding his antics be accepted because to not accept them are to not accept black Americans are another part of the problem. He could just be Deion the football coach who acts brash and flashy but he himself has perpetrated the myth anyone against him is threatened by a black man coaching a majority black players. That's on him. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

That's hilarious. Acting like Lanning and his staff who've built a top 15 ranked team don't have the aptitude required to scout the 3 games worth of film and find tendencies on their own? With as many coaches and analysts as they employ?

This is just sad. Keyshawn Johnson knows better. He's just being a willing asshole spreading false information trying to make it about race. Where was he when coaches were feeding Kansas information on how to beat Charlie Strong's Texas? Guess Charlie just wasn't black enough to care. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Well many of the exceptional young black and latino students interviewed have confided the same things when asked about some of their biggest challenges. That being reserved, respectful, and a great student who loves math and science get contrived as too white and not black enough. They don't feel accepted or that they fully fit in with their families and community. Many to the point they will "dumb down" publicly and pretend to like things they don't just to have acceptance. 

I’m not sure what this has to do with Sanders and people wanting him to lose and disliking him, but I could have told you that. That is most likely (but not definitely) the experience for a lot of Black people, myself included. I’m also light skinned so that didn’t help.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah, that sounds pretty stupid. Dan Lanning was a very successful DC in the SEC before getting the Oregon job. To think he needs help to shut down the Colorado offense is ridiculous. Did CSU need help the previous week when they were wrecking shop against the CU offense as well? 

This is the kind of shit that everyone is talking about from the media. Colorado is not a good football team, that's partly Deion's fault but not completely. There is only so much roster you can turn over in 6 months. I wonder what Johnson's view is going to be next week when his alma mater does the same thing?

Lol at USC embarrassing anyone this year. They couldn’t even dominate San Jose State

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I’m not sure what this has to do with Sanders and people wanting him to lose and disliking him, but I could have told you that. That is most likely (but not definitely) the experience for a lot of Black people, myself included. I’m also light skinned so that didn’t help.

It has to do with it because Deion Sanders himself is perpetrating horrible stereotypes that are harmful to his own community. The fact that exceptional black and latino students have to disassociate themselves in large part from their own communities to excel educationally in America is a huge problem, and people holding up Deion as some sort of persecuted crusader for the right to "act black" in America are causing the same harm. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Again, what are these horrible stereotypes Deion is perpetrating? Is he robbing stores or some shit? If it’s just that he’s brash and wears jewelry and talks like someone from the south I don’t see how he’s doing something awful.

Another thing… he’ll hype himself and his team up all day long. But you NEVER hear him badmouth their opponents this year, before or after a game. Every coach sans sonny has done that to CU, he’s done it to none of them. Yet no one has criticized any of the opposing coaches.

• Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, Pancho said:

But none of my sports heroes are black.  None of the villains are white. This exercise is so lazy.  

I wonder if there's anyone who has spoken to the issue of needing to dissociate from unsavory elements within one's own culture...

What "horrible stereotypes" is this guy perpetuating?

The turnover throne?
Sunglasses?
IG handles on practice uniforms?
Him being probably the most parentally-involved coach we've ever seen?

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm a white man continually finding shades of racism within that I didn't realize were there. I do believe that any group of humans will have diversity within it.

It took @troph going through her change/transition/whatever-it’s-called to open my eyes to maybe tranny jokes aren’t actually funny, and that every person on this fucking planet is a real, live human being. I am disappointed in myself that it took someone I “know” from the internet sharing their life in order for me to realize that, but better late than never, I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1