2020 PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES: Joe Biden vs Donald Trump

Mrs Whiggins

30 minutes ago, mdmost said:

No he said we will transition from oil. Which is something we have to do. The auto industry is already heading that way. 

21 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Really? Outside of CA?

Maybe you haven't heard, but Tesla is currently constructing a plant in Austin that will employ 5,000 people. 

Also:

DETROIT — General Motors said on Tuesday it will invest $2 billion to convert its Spring Hill, Tennessee, factory to produce electric vehicles, starting with the new Cadillac Lyriq, alongside existing combustion-engine Cadillacs.

Spring Hill will be GM's third U.S. electric vehicle factory, along with existing plants in Detroit and Orion Township, Michigan. The Tennessee plant was built in 1990 as the exclusive source for GM's now-defunct Saturn brand.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/10/20/gm-spring-hill-tennessee-plant-cadillac-lyriq/

You may have noticed that none of the above plants are located in California.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

It actually is in solar if I remember correctly.

Texas is currently #1 in wind and easily has the potential to be #1 in solar as well, which is now really starting to take off out in West Texas with several solar farms announced and/or constructed within the last couple of years.

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

“I’m gonna bring back coal.”

Not that they’re honest, but ask the folks in coal country about how many jobs have been brought back. 

None but the people that bought that bullshit are now just happy with trump owning the libs. Because if they’re gonna be fucked either way, they might as well get to bring back racism

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

The oil industry needs to think of itself as energy industry and evolve like IBM switched from typewriters to computers or coachworks switch from horse and buggy to car bodies.

Evolve or die.

i remember when exxon wanted to do this, found out climate change was real and then spent the next 40 years doubling down on lying about it. 

so, no, fuck off. 

9 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Geez DAhobbs, you need to chill, with you on the rag and throwing all the negs you're going to catch toxic shock syndrome.

We'll all be alive tomorrow, (and hopefully for a long time). Regardless of what happens so quit being so triggered.

Well you might not remember who your parents were if you're a Central American immigrant, but you'll probably be alive tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I think one of the reasons HC lost was that she didn't put enough effort into "helping the folks displaced by renewable energy".  I think Joe could have made the same point while showing he was caring by saying that we need to transition from fossil fuels, but that he is confident that sophisticated oil companies will be on the forefront of new developments, and "those companies" aren't going anywhere and fossil fuels will be around for a while and the need for carbon based fertilizer isn't going anywhere either.

It was a way to score points with climate change, show you care, and it fit in nicely with his approach to fracking.  Could have been a win win.

those people you referenced have been profiled and interviewed extensively since Trump got elected. In several news media spots. Some have even lost more since Trump was elected. To a T, they are all voting for him again. When queried, what spews out as their most pressing concerns are BLM, Fake News, the NFL, respect for the police etc...

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I didn’t watch, but for all of you saying that it was a good night for trump when I just know he didn’t answer any of the questions specifically and explicitly shows you how fucked up this is that trump gets away with having a “good night” when his good night would have been an automatic disqualification for anyone else.  

Stop giving this nigga a pass. 

Nobody is giving him a pass. Jesus fuck.

In a few days or whenever the polls following this come out, I think there will be a bump for DoTArd. In that sense he won the debate. That is the metric I'm using. Nobody freak out, I'm not saying its going to make any difference in the final EV count. I'm not saying my burning hatred for him has lessened in the slightest degree. I'm not saying he didn't show his ass multiple times.

What other metric do y'all want to use to judge who won?

Some arcane debate point system that nobody but some high school debate nerds understand? Who gives a fuck?

Whoever lied less? OK, Biden won.

Whoever actually gave coherent answers to questions? OK, Biden won.

Whoever didn't look like an insane orange clown? OK, Biden won.

Soundbites? I didn't keep score, not sure. Maybe the ending oil thing swings it to DOtarD.

Whoever wins the election? OK, Biden almost assuredly will win the debate then.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, bolverk said:

Texas is currently #1 in wind and easily has the potential to be #1 in solar as well, which is now really starting to take off out in West Texas with several solar farms announced and/or constructed within the last couple of years.

Texas is also uniquely positioned in the WORLD to be almost completely carbon neutral with electricity generation.

Wind at night in west Texas.

Solar during the day.

Base load with wind on the coast.

It’s truly amazing how well positioned it is.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

And for the record- an oil crash devastated my hometown (Dallas). We have a diversified economy now, and that means most people don’t get all bent out of shape about extraction.

houston hasn't quite figured this out, doing things like turning down a massive new datacenter campus that the university of texas was going to build because it wasn't going to be at texas southern. 

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I guess he’s fine to press it, but it passes no smell test for anyone with an IQ in 3 digits. “Why didn’t you fix racism when you were a senator from Delaware? All talk.” 

get fucked with that shit. 

Who lotta people out there with an IQ less than three digits.

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dude, he didn’t win ME. I’m considering how he may have affected 1) people looking for some comfort for their lean to vote Trump, 2) utterly ignorant voters who genuinely don’t know how to vote yet, and 3) people who might have leaned Biden but were shaky. Now, all three groups are probably pretty small. But I think Trump did ok, in terms of those audiences. But he needed better than ok.

He won (1) because he was always going to win those people. For (2) and (3) I honestly think the largest hesitancy in voting Biden is the whole "dementia" bullshit. Biden hit a solid triple today on that. We say Trump has a low bar. But, remember, Trump et al. set the bar pretty fucking low Biden, and Biden just tea-bagged Trump while jumping over it. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You really think it was a draw? 

I thought Biden did better overall. Trump roughed him up over the crime thing, largely because Biden’s stutter really shackles him when he’s being verbally bullied, but he looked fine.

Trump didn’t smear shit all over the walls like last time, so he cleared that bar, but he made it clear that it’s going to be 4 more years of this.  

overall, it was forgettable.  Its already starting to fade for me. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Maybe you haven't heard, but Tesla is currently constructing a plant in Austin that will employ 5,000 people. 

Also:

You may have noticed that none of the above plants are located in California.

There's no doubt there's a market for electric vehicles but that's a far cry from saying EVERYTHING is going electric (or some other form of AE).  Hell, doesn't it take a shitload of oil just to mine and make batteries?  What are the net effects I wonder?

Edited by McCroskey

12 minutes ago, heso said:

I don’t know enough about the subsidies but how much are the various entertainers industry subsidized? I get subsidizing the fledging renewables so they can grow, but why does to oil industry need subsidized?

When I was young, my folks told me that solar was too expensive.  Years later when I told them it was a lot cheaper they argued it was because it was subsidized.  I told them so was oil and gas.  But they didn't care and it didn't change their mind.  

• Hook 'Em 2

He won (1) because he was always going to win those people. For (2) and (3) I honestly think the largest hesitancy in voting Biden is the whole "dementia" bullshit. Biden hit a solid triple today on that. We say Trump has a low bar. But, remember, Trump et al. set the bar pretty fucking low Biden, and Biden just tea-bagged Trump while jumping over it. 

Yup. Biden was crisp. Even a little tough. You could see him hesitate before going after Rudy but then said fuck it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, McCroskey said:

There's no doubt there's a market for electric vehicles but that's a far cry from saying EVERYTHING is going electric.  Hell, doesn't it take a shitload of oil just to mine and make batteries?  What are the net effects I wonder?

Technology is always rapidly improving. Texas will be a forefront of a lot of it but like @Hagbard Celine states we could be doing so much better in our planning for the future. I'm no UT fan but the "What starts here..." motto could be for all of us.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, naija said:

those people you referenced have been profiled and interviewed extensively since Trump got elected. In several news media spots. Some have even lost more since Trump was elected. To a T, they are all voting for him again. When queried, what spews out as their most pressing concerns are BLM, Fake News, the NFL, respect for the police etc...

image.gif.ac14c0835a05254819ad28b6025142d3.gif

• Hook 'Em 6

14 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I used to live in Midland

Let me tell you something that is an absolute truth. O & G was always voting for Trump. Right down from the executives to the drivers, and the floorhands and everyone else. 

Midland/Odessa turned republican in the 70s 50s way before anyone else did. They were true crusaders on that. 

If you think Biden’s answer moves the needle well you are a moron. 

You think the suburban wife in Round Rock gives a flying fuck about the oil industry? 

Well if you do then you are special like Forrest Gump was. Hopefully your mom didn’t have to bang the principal to get you a good education. 

FIFY

(trying to get caught up)

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

He did. He did fine.

The good thing is that he needed to do better than fine.

Whoa, a non "sky is falling" point from Brisket lately that I absolutely agree with.

Trump wasn't terrible tonight, and Biden had his stumbles late, but the race is at a point where a good chunk have already voted, Trump is far behind and needed an absolute death blow.

This was a draw at worst. 

10 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Nobody is giving him a pass. Jesus fuck.

In a few days or whenever the polls following this come out, I think there will be a bump for DoTArd. In that sense he won the debate. That is the metric I'm using. Nobody freak out, I'm not saying its going to make any difference in the final EV count. I'm not saying my burning hatred for him has lessened in the slightest degree. I'm not saying he didn't show his ass multiple times.

What other metric do y'all want to use to judge who won?

Some arcane debate point system that nobody but some high school debate nerds understand? Who gives a fuck?

Whoever lied less? OK, Biden won.

Whoever actually gave coherent answers to questions? OK, Biden won.

Whoever didn't look like an insane orange clown? OK, Biden won.

Soundbites? I didn't keep score, not sure. Maybe the ending oil thing swings it to DOtarD.

Whoever wins the election? OK, Biden almost assuredly will win the debate then.

Yeah. I repped @Neonmoon's rant because it was funny, but let's not be silly here. Nobody on this thread is saying Trump actually won the debate. We're all terrified of the 8-10% of absolute stupid idiots who are still undecided at this point going "OH NO HE'S GOING TO BAN OIL" as they drool all over themselves on their way to vote for successful businessman president Donald J Trump. 

Lots of people are just terrified of another 2016 because it was so improbable and so catastrophic. Nobody actually thinks Trump won. Put the pitchforks away, lynch mob. Everyone on this thread knows how stupid and terrible Trump is, and we're all aware of the double standard.

Edited by BradInATX

There's no doubt there's a market for electric vehicles but that's a far cry from saying EVERYTHING is going electric (or some other form of AE).  Hell, doesn't it take a shitload of oil just to mine and make batteries?  What are the net effects I wonder?

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/teslas-electric-cars-might-not-green-think/
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Those of us who have been in O&G in the last two decades know that isn't possible over the next two decades. Those who truly believe that it's even possible to shut down the oil industry during Biden's potential 8 years weren't voting for Biden to begin with. They talked a big game in '08 about coming down hard on the oil industry and what happened? The exact opposite.

I'm extremely surprised that you have as many Biden voters in your circle because my circle in the industry is a straight R ticket voter every election.

Exactly this.

The transition is happening.  Very large PE firms that have only backed O&G in the past are now funding portfolio companies focused on renewables. One of them is a battery storage company founded last year that is in my office building, in Houston. 

I don’t think his comment changes too many minds in Texas. 

11 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i remember when exxon wanted to do this, found out climate change was real and then spent the next 40 years doubling down on lying about it. 

so, no, fuck off. 

BP was going with that and their rebranding back in the late 00s. They were using the tagline Beyond Petroleum. That marketing position got fucked with Deepwater Horizon.

Bwhahahaha. Trump acts more normal but lies his ass off and Johnny Sack calls it a win. He fucking lied more than ever. hahahahaha

He lost because Biden did well too. He didn't lose his shit and he made it through, Johnny. That is all he had to do. So Biden fucking won because he connected with the people on keys points. Biden is a better man and it shows. Your guy is a fat fucking piece of shit. 

Also, he can't even be decent to his own fucking whore wife who does the best she can as his trophy to try to make his old ugly ass pass as human. What is this about, Johnny? Why is he so dismissive of her whore ass?! Huh?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

So what was his message? What’s he going to do the next 4 years. 

Which plan? Feel free to choose any issue, he's got no plan but it will be the cheapest, quickest, biggest no plan there's ever been.  Limited only by your imagination.

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1