The Trump + Covid thread

Gil Bang

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Forgive me for being a bit emotional about a scumbag who lobbied to get corporations run by people like Bernie Madoff a pass from securities fraud and got rich from it.

And that’s fair.  But rich people are always going to get better care than the rest of us. That tweet is a naked appeal to emotion

Edited by Sawbonz

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Looks like he took a steroid, lol. More energetic than he usually is. 

This dumb motherfucker is going to fall in love with that steroid high and demand they put him on a regular dose and blow up like a toad

• Haha 1

And that’s fair.  But rich people are always going to get better care than the rest of us. That tweet is a naked appeal to emotion

I’m not a physician but I am a hospital administrator (I keep my job title and duties vague purposefully) but I can’t imagine my facility - or many facilities - giving one of our beds to someone with “mild” symptoms just because they want it.

We’ve not admitted plenty of very sick people because they just weren’t sick enough.

Maybe he’s in some boutique for profit joint and he’s paying for it out of pocket but I just figured he was lying about having a mild case and he’s trying to spin how sick he is.

And, ya know what, I’m kind of tired of giving these lying plague rats the benefit of the doubt.

Whether he’s dollar whipping a hospital and taking up space that could’ve gone to a sicker person or if he’s lying about how bad his case is, the whole thing is gross and emblematic of everything wrong with our country and our health care system.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I’m not a physician but I am a hospital administrator (I keep my job title and duties vague purposefully) but I can’t imagine my facility - or many facilities - giving one of our beds to someone with “mild” symptoms just because they want it.

We’ve not admitted plenty of very sick people because they just weren’t sick enough.

Maybe he’s in some boutique for profit joint and he’s paying for it out of pocket but I just figured he was lying about having a mild case and he’s trying to spin how sick he is.

And, ya know what, I’m kind of tired of giving these lying plague rats the benefit of the doubt.

Whether he’s dollar whipping a hospital and taking up space that could’ve gone to a sicker person or if he’s lying about how bad his case is, the whole thing is gross and emblematic of everything wrong with our country and our health care system.

All it takes is an admit for obs order from the attending physician. If it doesn’t happen at your hospital you’re a unicorn

25 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

This is an opinion that has been forced upon us by people who think they benefit from it. In reality, we all lose because of our fractured, unequal health care system.

The classic, obvious example is increased use of emergency services by poor people because the don't have access to good primary care. We all pay for these emergency services with our taxes, and the ambulance goes to the next call regardless of whether there is a BMW or a bicycle in front of the house.

52 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Precautionary.

- @ChiTownDoc

Pretty much.  If he strolled to the hospital waiving to reporters like Trump then I'd guess it's precautionary.  But I don't have any info on this particular fat pussy.  And try not to kill my buzz.  Not gonna lie, it's been a good day.

Edited by ChiTownDoc
Credit to Balvenie.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, quigley said:

This is an opinion that has been forced upon us by people who think they benefit from it. In reality, we all lose because of our fractured, unequal health care system.

The classic, obvious example is increased use of emergency services by poor people because the don't have access to good primary care. We all pay for these emergency services with our taxes, and the ambulance goes to the next call regardless of whether there is a BMW or a bicycle in front of the house.

The only system where the rich won’t benefit from being able to pay cash is a communist system. Pointing that out does not mean I think our system can’t be improved upon

24 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

He's a Walter Reed, which is a "boutique hospital," if that's the term for the top military hospital in the country that sits adjacent to the NIH Main Campus. There are multiple DC hospitals that have beds for the president reserved at all times for any reason.

The fact that he was able to make it out to Bethesda, rather than to GW, which is blocks away from the WH was a clue that he wasn't critically ill.

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

The only system where the rich won’t benefit from being able to pay cash is a communist system. Pointing that out does not mean I think our system can’t be improved upon

Agree, but this is about 95% of Americans.The extremes aren't my concern.

Is the Canadian system a "communist" system in your eyes?

(BTW, I'm not one to fetishize the Canadians, but they do serve this counterpoint)

Edited by quigley

5 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

The rich will always get their ice in the summer and the poor in winter, I'm not going to dispute that either. However, I don't have a problem with the emotional appeal in this instance. People were dying in their homes up there (NY/NJ) during the worst of it. We need to look that straight in the eye.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

6 minutes ago, quigley said:

Agree, but this is about 95% of Americans.The extremes aren't my concern.

Is the Canadian system a "communist" system in your eyes?

(BTW, I'm not one to fetishize the Canadians, but they do serve this counterpoint)

Agreed but we are talking about someone who is in the top .001%

i mean you can try to make the argument that we should all receive the same treatment as those in the top .001% but is anyone going to take you seriously?

Edited by Sawbonz

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Um that is a clear example of a fallacious appeal to emotion. 

You didn't read the article. People read a quote from Aristotle in a preface and ignore his argument for the reliability of pathos - as a valid argument. 

Pathos:

"I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow jail cells. And some of you have come from areas where your quest -- quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of police brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive. Go back to Mississippi, go back to Alabama, go back to South Carolina, go back to Georgia, go back to Louisiana, go back to the slums and ghettos of our northern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed."

~I Have a Dream by Martin Luther King Jr. August 28th, 1963.

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

You didn't read the article. People read a quote from Aristotle in a preface and ignore his argument for the reliability of pathos - as a valid argument. 

Pathos:

"I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow jail cells. And some of you have come from areas where your quest -- quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of police brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive. Go back to Mississippi, go back to Alabama, go back to South Carolina, go back to Georgia, go back to Louisiana, go back to the slums and ghettos of our northern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed."

~I Have a Dream by Martin Luther King Jr. August 28th, 1963.

I actually didn’t read any of it. I know the definition of appeal to emotion and I know that what that tweet did was fallaciously appeal to emotion. I’m not sure how reading an academic article will change my opinion on that. There are definitely times when appeal to emotion is appropriate. That tweet is not an example of it

12 minutes ago, Underdog said:

He’ll take his death, have plastic surgery and try to slink off anonymously and hope the Russians/creditors/ NY AG never finds him. 

Unless they rip out his vocal cords, that stupid motherfucker will never be anonymous. Nobody else would intersperse their order of 4 Big Macs, 36 chicken nuggets, and 6 fillet o fish sammies with a narrative of Hillary's emails, Obamas birth certificate and nasty mexicans. Its like when Derka registers with a new user name and enters a thread on Texas hoops.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Agreed but we are talking about someone who is in the top .001%

i mean you can try to make the argument that we should all receive the same treatment as those in the top .001% but is anyone going to take you seriously?

I think we're agreeing.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Isn't he supposed to be receiving an IV? Nothing on his hands. I know he's potus (kind of) and his hospital stay is gonna be wildly different from any of ours, but c'mon. That doesn't look like someone in the hospital. 

3 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I've always heard the name, but didn't really know anything about it.

Is that for real or is it making fun of this old pic from 2007? *the tweet is current, but the photos are from an old news article before the old location closed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to The Trump + Covid thread