The Trump + Covid thread

Gil Bang

Lol man. This isn’t some 4D chess move strategically deployed to protect national security interests. It’s just another day in Trumpville. They roll out some chump that lies to the public, then a bunch of leaks occur that are all “yeah, that was bullshit.”
there isn’t some counter intelligence master play at work here. It’s just a bunch of lying pieces of shit doing their master’s dirty work while trying to protect themselves as best they can.
This should be the example placed next to the definition of Occam's Razor.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Lol man. This isn’t some 4D chess move strategically deployed to protect national security interests. It’s just another day in Trumpville. They roll out some chump that lies to the public, then a bunch of leaks occur that are all “yeah, that was bullshit.”
there isn’t some counter intelligence master play at work here. It’s just a bunch of lying pieces of shit doing their master’s dirty work while trying to protect themselves as best they can.
This should be the example placed next to the definition of Occam's Razor.

8 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

On the other hand, what’s your explanation for an array of doctors telling us the prez is healthy as a horse followed immediately by the president’s staff quietly telling the media he’s fucked?

I already explained it to you. You pretending like we have something that resembles a functioning governmental apparatus is pretty humorous.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

https://www.npr.org/sections/latest-updates-trump-covid-19-results/2020/10/02/919778961/facebook-twitter-and-tiktok-say-wishing-trumps-death-from-covid-is-not-allowed

Facebook, Twitter And TikTok Say Wishing Trump's Death From COVID-19 Is Not Allowed

As reaction to President Trump's positive coronavirus test floods social media, Facebook, Twitter and TikTok have a message to users: Wishing for the president to die is not allowed.

All three tech companies confirmed that such posts will be removed for violating each platform's content policies.

As moderators scramble to pull down posts that express hope that Trump succumbs to the virus, wild speculation, conspiracy theories and other falsehoods about the president and first lady's positive COVID-19 tests have been surging on the platforms, with each of them making dicey calls about what is permissible and what crosses a line.

On Trump death wishes, though, the companies fell in line.

A Facebook spokesperson said posts wishing Trump's death — including comments on the president's pages, and posts that tag him — will be taken down from the social network.

Twitter said tweets that "wish or hope for death, serious bodily harm or fatal disease" against anyone, including the president, will be pulled off the platform. Twitter says such "abusive" behavior can lead to an account being suspended.

A spokesperson for TikTok told NPR that cheering on Trump's death would be in violation of the short-form video app's community guidelines, saying content longing for Trump's demise "would be a violation of our community guidelines and removed if we find that."

A federal law, Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, allows tech companies to set their own rules for what is and is not allowed to be posted to their platforms.

UCLA professor Sarah Roberts, who studies online content moderation, said abusive behavior should be policed on the platforms, but she said enforcement has long been too lax for those who are not in the public spotlight.

"There's been an outpouring of regular people saying, 'I've been seeing death threats, rape threats, doxxing for years,' and there's been a complete lack of action," Roberts said. "It's much easier to go and find instances against a major public figure like Trump and erase it than it is with the everyday degradation against everyone else."

Roberts said she is sympathetic to how difficult decisions about such content can be, since "the social media companies don't have a playbook to go by," adding that, "those deciding what content to remove are often some of the least empowered and lowest on the hierarchy workers who are in real-time dealing with the world's bad behavior."

Shame Jerry Seinfeld GIF - Shame JerrySeinfeld Too - Discover & Share GIFs

"I think we're called to pray for our country, our leaders -- and yes, even our president," Perdue said at Friday morning's session of the Faith & Freedom Coalition's annual policy conference. "I think we should pray for Barack Obama, but we need to be very specific. We should pray like Psalm 109:8 says: Let his days be few, and let another take his office."

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:
40 minutes ago, Chewy said:
I’m gonna bet this was administered more for a panic attack than it was for covid. 

When I had 'rona I would have loved supplemental oxygen for the same reason. It fucks with your head.

how are you these days? 

22 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

It’s not Trump calling these shots and I’m not claiming it’s some Scott Adams 4D chess game by the administration. This is standard counterintelligence. I don’t understand how you can’t grasp the concept that the health of the President of the United States is a critical piece of strategic information and that our military and intelligence agencies would, during a Presidential health crisis, put out chaff to keep our adversaries guessing until the situation is stable.

This shit isn’t new. When Reagan was suffering dementia, US intelligence put out rumors that he was insane. The Russians did the same shit with Krushchev. 

On the other hand, what’s your explanation for an array of doctors telling us the prez is healthy as a horse followed immediately by the president’s staff quietly telling the media he’s fucked? How does that make any sense, even accounting for Trump admin dumbfuckery.

FWIW, many of the blue check marks on Twitter are reporting that Meadows disagrees with Trump’s demands to downplay his symptoms.  Thus the confusion.

In any event, you are giving way too much credit to what these buffoons are capable of, regardless of what past administrations have done.

27 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

It’s not Trump calling these shots and I’m not claiming it’s some Scott Adams 4D chess game by the administration. This is standard counterintelligence. I don’t understand how you can’t grasp the concept that the health of the President of the United States is a critical piece of strategic information and that our military and intelligence agencies would, during a Presidential health crisis, put out chaff to keep our adversaries guessing until the situation is stable.

This shit isn’t new. When Reagan was suffering dementia, US intelligence put out rumors that he was insane. The Russians did the same shit with Krushchev. 

On the other hand, what’s your explanation for an array of doctors telling us the prez is healthy as a horse followed immediately by the president’s staff quietly telling the media he’s fucked? How does that make any sense, even accounting for Trump admin dumbfuckery.

But here's the issue. This administration's "adversaries" are the American press, Democrats, and the majority of the American electorate.  Not Russia, China, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

FWIW, many of the blue check marks on Twitter are reporting that Meadows disagrees with Trump’s demands to downplay his symptoms.  Thus the confusion.

In any event, you are giving way too much credit to what these buffoons are capable of, regardless of what past administrations have done.

I think you’re giving way too much credit to the idea that Meadows would just magically ignore Trumps wishes and grow a love for government transparency and truth.

14 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

But here's the issue. This administration's "adversaries" are the American press, Democrats, and the majority of the American electorate.  Not Russia, China, etc. 

You forgot one of their biggest adversaries: the intelligence apparatus that is...checks notes...the puppet master dictating leaks to the press from the administration.

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

More evidence that Trump's campaigning is probably over. 

Even if Trump could make it to another debate, what happens the moment he gets asked how he and his staff fucked up something as simple as masks in front of the world?

And I don't think he goes to another debate after this fiasco, even if he recovers in time.  No way he's willing to risk being asked about that.

Right now, he's going to be in Mack Brown mode, and he's going to try and run the clock out.

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Even if Trump could make it to another debate, what happens the moment he gets asked how he and his staff fucked up something as simple as masks in front of the world?

And I don't think he goes to another debate after this fiasco, even if he recovers in time.  No way he's willing to risk being asked about that.

Right now, he's going to be in Mack Brown mode, and he's going to try and run the clock out.

These guys would take an intentional safety when they’re up 1 point 

Edited by Royalfan5

7 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Yeah bc crazy red hats want to break CDC guidelines and rally for... Mike Pence. I’m sure this will go just as planned

No, I don't think it's going to be that big of an issue. They are already primed for Trump, really. Pence doesn't even have to show if they (the WH) don't want him to. Trump was never at the Boat Parades, or the Honk for Trump Truck Rallies, or the Golf Cart Caravans. They are sold on Trump and if they get together as supporters are wont to do, dressed in their uniforms of red and raise their flags in obedience and fervor, all Trump (or Scavino or Ivanka) has to do is tweet out a nod of recognition, a Royal Recognition as it were. They will begin to compete with each other to see who can get the tweet, who can gain his favorable notice.

Will it work out that way? Perhaps not, but I've seen stranger things.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

1 minute ago, Royalfan5 said:

These guys would take an intentional safety when there up 1 point 

Normally I don't think Trump would miss a single debate with Biden, because Trump would go crazy at the thought of Biden getting 100% of the camera.

But man, Trump's alpha male bullshit image has been utterly shattered, and even he knows it.  And I bet we have another dozen or so people test positive from the Rose Garden/debate prep within the next few days.

WTF is wrong with these motherfuckers?

After testing positive for COVID-19, U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson said his view on mask mandates hasn’t changed, as Wisconsin Republican leaders have voiced their support for striking down the state’s order requiring face coverings be worn. 

The Oshkosh Republican, who announced Saturday morning he had tested positive for the virus the previous day, instead touted “individual responsibility,” saying while he believes masks can help mitigate the risk, they’re “certainly not a cure-all.” 

Johnson, who is at least the third Republican U.S. senator to have contracted the coronavirus recently, said he was tested on his way to the Ozaukee County Republican Party Oktoberfest Dinner in Mequon on Friday night. 

But he still attended the event, saying he wore his mask until he spoke and stayed "at least 12 feet from anybody as [he was] speaking." He said he quickly left the dinner after his remarks. 

Asked whether he was told to self-quarantine after getting tested, Johnson said there was “no reason to do so.” 

“I’m not sick,” he said. “I have no symptoms. I certainly didn’t anticipate testing positive, so there was no reason to quarantine.” 

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends those who are tested should isolate at home pending results, as well as follow the advice of one’s health care provider.

The latest news comes after a tumultuous week in which President Donald Trump, who had planned two campaign rallies in Wisconsin this weekend, tested positive for COVID-19 and was hospitalized. But at the state level, top Republicans who control the Legislature filed a motion backing a lawsuit that aims to get rid of Democratic Gov. Tony Evers' statewide mask mandate, which expires Nov. 21. 

COVID-19 cases are surging in Wisconsin, with the state breaking daily records for new cases and deaths in recent days. 

Johnson, who said he's not experiencing any symptoms and has not received any medical treatment tied to his diagnosis, also seemed unconcerned about how he was exposed to the virus, saying he suspected it originated from his chief of staff last month. 

“I don’t blame anybody for this. We have a pandemic with a contagious disease,” he said, adding later: “To me, I don’t care where I might have got it from.” 

1 of 15

NOW PLAYING

This Is the Healthiest Community in the US

NEXT

These Lifestyle Trends Can Help You Live Longer

Johnson said he got tested after hearing on a conference call Friday that fellow Republican Sen. Mike Lee of Utah contracted the virus. 

Despite the cases, Johnson said he believed Republican senators are “doing a pretty good job” of taking the pandemic seriously, noting that people are wearing masks inside and “definitely doing the social distancing.” 

“I’ll let other people convey their judgments in terms of ‘Have we done a good enough job?’ but I think we’re being responsible. I believe I certainly have been,” he said. 

Going forward, Johnson said he didn’t expect the positive COVID-19 cases would delay the confirmation process of Judge Amy Coney Barrett, Trump’s U.S. Supreme Court pick.

Politico, citing two anonymous sources, reported Saturday that while the Senate is currently scheduled to return to D.C. on Monday to begin voting on judicial nominees, the body will recess until Oct. 19. The Senate Judiciary Committee, the report notes, could still meet and there's so far no indications the panel's Oct. 12 confirmation hearing of Barrett will be delayed. 

He also said he hoped his colleagues were taking precautions including self-isolating so the vote could proceed, though he noted the Senate has “pretty well perfected the web-based hearings.”

Johnson said he had self-quarantined for much of last month after he was possibly exposed to the virus in mid-September, skipping a planned rally with Trump in Mosinee on Sept. 17. His isolation ended Sept. 29, and he returned to D.C. then. 

This time, his spokesman said he's planning to remain in isolation until cleared by his doctor, and his D.C. office will work completely remotely for the foreseeable future. 

In addition to Johnson and Lee, U.S. Sen. Thom Tillis of North Carolina has also tested positive for COVID-19. 

3 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:
47 minutes ago, Gourmand said:
how are you these days? 

1000% better. 63 days post 1st symptoms and I feel great. 'Rona and my new job woke me from midlife complacency.

good to hear, stay well! one of my fantasy football league mates contracted it in mid March, one of the first 25 cases in Travis County. she was hospitalized and put on a ventilator for a day or three, said she thought she was going to die. she's recovered but still feels the effects of it (or did for quite some time).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Whether or not you believe these sources, pay attention to what’s actually (not) happening. The only possible thing that could salvage Trump’s campaign would be for them to project everything is ok and that he’s fine (which is what his doctor got up to the podium and said). That would mean photos of him working (FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!!!), him rage tweeting, him conferencing with congressmen, him calling into Fox News or putting out video messaging. Anything that projects normalcy. And yet, nada.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

After testing positive for COVID-19, U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson said his view on mask mandates hasn’t changed, as Wisconsin Republican leaders have voiced their support for striking down the state’s order requiring face coverings be worn. 

The Oshkosh Republican, who announced Saturday morning he had tested positive for the virus the previous day, instead touted “individual responsibility,” saying while he believes masks can help mitigate the risk, they’re “certainly not a cure-all.” 

Johnson, who is at least the third Republican U.S. senator to have contracted the coronavirus recently, said he was tested on his way to the Ozaukee County Republican Party Oktoberfest Dinner in Mequon on Friday night. 

But he still attended the event, saying he wore his mask until he spoke and stayed "at least 12 feet from anybody as [he was] speaking." He said he quickly left the dinner after his remarks. 

Asked whether he was told to self-quarantine after getting tested, Johnson said there was “no reason to do so.” 

“I’m not sick,” he said. “I have no symptoms. I certainly didn’t anticipate testing positive, so there was no reason to quarantine.” 

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends those who are tested should isolate at home pending results, as well as follow the advice of one’s health care provider.

The latest news comes after a tumultuous week in which President Donald Trump, who had planned two campaign rallies in Wisconsin this weekend, tested positive for COVID-19 and was hospitalized. But at the state level, top Republicans who control the Legislature filed a motion backing a lawsuit that aims to get rid of Democratic Gov. Tony Evers' statewide mask mandate, which expires Nov. 21. 

COVID-19 cases are surging in Wisconsin, with the state breaking daily records for new cases and deaths in recent days. 

Johnson, who said he's not experiencing any symptoms and has not received any medical treatment tied to his diagnosis, also seemed unconcerned about how he was exposed to the virus, saying he suspected it originated from his chief of staff last month. 

“I don’t blame anybody for this. We have a pandemic with a contagious disease,” he said, adding later: “To me, I don’t care where I might have got it from.” 

1 of 15

NOW PLAYING

This Is the Healthiest Community in the US

NEXT

These Lifestyle Trends Can Help You Live Longer

Johnson said he got tested after hearing on a conference call Friday that fellow Republican Sen. Mike Lee of Utah contracted the virus. 

Despite the cases, Johnson said he believed Republican senators are “doing a pretty good job” of taking the pandemic seriously, noting that people are wearing masks inside and “definitely doing the social distancing.” 

“I’ll let other people convey their judgments in terms of ‘Have we done a good enough job?’ but I think we’re being responsible. I believe I certainly have been,” he said. 

Going forward, Johnson said he didn’t expect the positive COVID-19 cases would delay the confirmation process of Judge Amy Coney Barrett, Trump’s U.S. Supreme Court pick.

Politico, citing two anonymous sources, reported Saturday that while the Senate is currently scheduled to return to D.C. on Monday to begin voting on judicial nominees, the body will recess until Oct. 19. The Senate Judiciary Committee, the report notes, could still meet and there's so far no indications the panel's Oct. 12 confirmation hearing of Barrett will be delayed. 

He also said he hoped his colleagues were taking precautions including self-isolating so the vote could proceed, though he noted the Senate has “pretty well perfected the web-based hearings.”

Johnson said he had self-quarantined for much of last month after he was possibly exposed to the virus in mid-September, skipping a planned rally with Trump in Mosinee on Sept. 17. His isolation ended Sept. 29, and he returned to D.C. then. 

This time, his spokesman said he's planning to remain in isolation until cleared by his doctor, and his D.C. office will work completely remotely for the foreseeable future. 

In addition to Johnson and Lee, U.S. Sen. Thom Tillis of North Carolina has also tested positive for COVID-19. 

What's wrong with them?  LOL

It's MUCH easier to answer what's not wrong with them.  Shit...that's a hard one too.  

7 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

He represents a state that has a pretty good medical school and did (at least it did when we lived there) a pretty good higher ed system. He is a Gopher alum, not a Badger but makes no difference. Guess you can get an education but not learn anything.

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Whether or not you believe these sources, pay attention to what’s actually (not) happening. The only possible thing that could salvage Trump’s campaign would be for them to project everything is ok and that he’s fine (which is what his doctor got up to the podium and said). That would mean photos of him working (FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!!!), him rage tweeting, him conferencing with congressmen, him calling into Fox News or putting out video messaging. Anything that projects normalcy. And yet, nada.

Here's Meadows again. SIAP

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

“He’s asking for documents to review.”

Lol he doesn’t read. If he wanted to make that believable, at least say “he’s alert and is watching the news.”

If he was asking for tweets to read, I'd believe it was him.  Or that he was resting and watching the news.

• immamac changed the title to The Trump + Covid thread