The Trump + Covid thread

Gil Bang

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Is that typical for someone in a sharp recovery that is doing well?

I don't know, maybe @ChiTownDoc or others can comment.

Steroids and remdesivir don't really raise my eyebrows. The antibody cocktail though, still scratching my head on that one to be honest. Maybe they saw that he had a very high initial viral load and wanted to knock it down? 

Now they are hitting him with steroids. 
Now on steroids.  They keep pumping him with remdesivir. 

He’s getting the treatment folks get when they are intubated and his symptoms are at the level where folks get turned back and told to go home and wait it out.

He’s going to pull through, claim super hero status all the while he was treated by doctors who had the “oh shit, this guy could die” look on their face the moment he walked in.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, troph said:

He’s getting the treatment folks get when they are intubated and his symptoms are at the level where folks get turned back and told to go home and wait it out.

He’s going to pull through, claim super hero status all the while he was treated by doctors who had the “oh shit, this guy could die” look on their face the moment he walked in.

If he recovers he’ll claim all sorts of nonsense. It won’t matter, the damage is already done.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Steroids and remdesivir don't really raise my eyebrows. The antibody cocktail though, still scratching my head on that one to be honest. Maybe they saw that he had a very high initial viral load and wanted to knock it down? 

10 minutes ago, troph said:

ANYONE hospitalized gets decadron. You, and a lot of the commentators online, have zero idea what they’re talking about. 

He HaD SUppLemEnTaL OxygEn. 

You mean he briefly had 2L nasal cannula? Oh the horror. He hasn’t been close to critical condition. Not sure what the press wants here. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 6

Just now, kevwun said:

Sanjay Gupta said remdesivir is only supposed to be given while the patient is in a hospital.  That doesn’t jive with him getting released tomorrow if he has 2 or 3 days left of a 5 day course.

Remdesivir is administered via IV infusion.  The only way most of us would have access to that type of treatment would be in a hospital. The WH has all the necessary equipment on site. That said, I don't think he is released tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

So if reports of his oxygen levels plummeting 48 hours after testing positive are true...what are the implications? Do oxygen levels just plummet then rebound?If you’re having trouble breathing and your blood isn’t getting oxygen early on in this thing, do overweight elderly people rebound sharply from those early symptoms?

I’ve read some reports that covid 19 drops in O2 saturation may have more to do with viral effects on red blood cells and oxygen binding to hemoglobin than with exchange in the lungs hence why they are now waiting so long to put patients on ventilators.  Those reports were from a pubmed search in the summer; I haven’t looked at anything more recent

I don’t know if that is correct but early cases who were put on vents using traditional indications had horribly high mortality rate rates, as positive pressure and high oxygen concentrations are bad for already inflamed lungs.

A disruption of O2 binding in RBCs could also explain the rapidly falling O2 sats not preceded by difficulty breathing. That may be why you hear about people who are “fine except for a fever” getting sent home and rapidly crashing and maybe dying. 

If the RBC theory is true successful suppression of the virus could lead to rapid return to acceptable O2 levels assuming he doesn’t also develop a pneumonia. 

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, NAVY said:

Time to muddy the waters some more. Important to build more confusion so that the weaker minded give up trying to understand and just accept the last thing they hear 

Here's the quote

"Over the course of his illness, the President has experienced two episodes of transient drops in his oxygen saturation. We debated the reasons for this, and whether we'd even intervene. It was a determination of the team based on the timeline from the initial diagnosis that we initiate dexamethasone," Conley said.

ANYONE hospitalized gets decadron. You, and a lot of the commentators online, have zero idea what they’re talking about. 

He HaD SUppLemEnTaL OxygEn. 

You mean he briefly had 2L nasal cannula? Oh the horror. He hasn’t been close to critical condition. Not sure what the press wants here. 

I didn’t balk at O2, I assume some lung concerns on the scans, all I’m saying is he’s getting better care, better doctors, more doctors, and more aggressive treatment compared to an ordinary person.

Case in point - I’ve had two friends told only to go to the hospital if blood ox fell to 90. No supp O2 at 92-94, no experimental treatments, no Remdesivir. Both did get steroids though.

And when he pulls out he’s going to show us all his cape. Whateves.

Do all administrations have people running around with coats that declare their official title?  Complete with a big SECSECSEC White House patch?  Was he afraid that other doctors wouldn't know who he is?  Why didn't he just wear his silver leaves, since he's at a military facility.

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Do all administrations have people running around with coats that declare their official title?  Complete with a big SECSECSEC White House patch?  Was he afraid that other doctors wouldn't know who he is?  Why didn't he just wear his silver leaves, since he's at a military facility.

spacer.png

Guarantee that when Trump is out, he will boast about how his doctor is straight out of central casting. Image is everything.  

15 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Sanjay Gupta said remdesivir is only supposed to be given while the patient is in a hospital.  That doesn’t jive with him getting released tomorrow if he has 2 or 3 days left of a 5 day course.

He can easily get an IV infusion in the WH.  A giant bolus of potassium would be nice.  

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-covid-19-updates-sunday/h_3e1568671f74118363bcc991c47a2acf

Trump campaign senior adviser Jason Miller couldn't explain why President Trump went to Bedminster for a fundraiser Thursday after learning Hope Hicks, one of the President's aides, had tested positive for coronavirus.

After being asked for an explanation, Miller said on ABC, "I can't speak to — since I'm not part of White House operations, I'm not part of the White House medical unit — is the exact, how much time he was spending with Hope and the proximity for these things. I can't speak to that. I’m going to let the White House do that."

Miller also claimed that Trump's campaign rallies took precautions for coronavirus, adding he believed former Vice President Joe Biden used face masks as a "prop." 

"We take it seriously. It's why we give everyone coming to rallies or events, we give them a mask. We check their temperature. You know, I would say that with regard to Joe Biden, I think too often he's used the mask as a prop. Mask is very important, but even if he's — he could be 20, 30 feet away from the nearest person and still have the mask on. That's not going to change anything that's out there. Also we've seen with — with Joe Biden, I mean, we can't all just stay in our basement for the rest of our lives," Miller said.

Or you can stay in Walter Reed while people laugh at you for not taking this shit seriously.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

A lot of this has little to no adverse effects.  It’s the President so you might as well throw the kitchen sink in too.  See what sticks.  He seems fine though.  But who knows what’s true and not with their constant lying.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
Knowwwww!
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He can easily get an IV infusion in the WH.  A giant bolus of potassium would be nice.  

If you don't start off your next set of rounds with "I can't tell you how proud I am to care for this patient, and to be part of this multi-disciplinary team of providers..." you have failed us.  

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I put these thoughts on the other thread, might as well put them here.  I don't think I've misquoted or misinterpreted the good doctor.

-----

So the White House doc lied to us yesterday when he said POTUS had not received supplemental oxygen either Satuday or Friday.  Today he admits he administered oxygen on Friday.

-----

Oh, and monitoring of cardiac, liver and kidney functions demonstrates "continued normal findings or improving findings".

This is code language for "at some point he has had abnormal cardiac, liver, or kidney functions".

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

spacer.png

image.jpeg.fba0a33391338fc328612049ae1df482.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

A lot of this has little to know adverse effects.  It’s the President so you might as well throw the kitchen sink in too.  See what sticks.  He seems fine though.  But who knows what’s true and not with their constant lying.  

Precisely because it is the president I would think that they would be conservative with pumping in experimental antibody treatment.  Haven't look at the safety profile of the stuff, but hard to make a compelling case for risk vs. benefit...unless they have some indication that made the decision compelling.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Precisely because it is the president I would think that they would be conservative with pumping in experimental antibody treatment.  Haven't look at the safety profile of the stuff, but hard to make a compelling case for risk vs. benefit...unless they have some indication that made the decision compelling.

Would a compelling reason be something like, "this fucker is about to die, lets give him whatever we got and hope and pray"?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

A lot of this has little to know adverse effects.  It’s the President so you might as well throw the kitchen sink in too.  See what sticks.  He seems fine though.  But who knows what’s true and not with their constant lying.  

I guess Gupta is throwing decadron in the “serious” medication bucket?  Gupta is another celebrity doc that is showing himself to be not that sharp. See Oz, Drew etc. Neurosurgery patients (he’s a neurosurgeon) get steroids all the time, not sure why he views that as a serious Med. In his defense, I guess it can be tough to have an Informed opinion on every medical issue no matter the area of expertise. 

As far as why Trump is getting these treatments, here’s my theory. He felt symptoms on Friday, has some mild hypoxia and he must’ve had some elevated lab markers that can portend a worse course. Maybe elevated CRP or something.  So they decided to be aggressive before he really appeared very sick. Also, cost and scarcity are not an issue obviously. 

Thus the warnings about watching him closely, but he’s likely going to be out soon. 

Yeah, we all started talking about how he'd have access to anything and everything to treat this and recover.  As well he should.  But I think some medical providers there at Walter Reed are stepping in to say, "this shit really shouldn't be tried out on a sitting President, it's just not worth the risk when we can follow a conventional path."  

If only the President had a few hundred thousand adamant supporters who also have Covid-19, who have expressed they would gladly "step in front of a bullet" for Trump, who are also older, and who are also overweight...on which we could try out these drug cocktails more effectively to see what could work for the President.  

This could be the finest hour for Texas A&M, and they're squandering it.  

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I guess Gupta is throwing decadron in the “serious” medication bucket?  Gupta is another celebrity doc that is showing himself to be not that sharp. See Oz, Drew etc. Neurosurgery patients (he’s a neurosurgeon) get steroids all the time, not sure why he views that as a serious Med. In his defense, I guess it can be tough to have an Informed opinion on every medical issue no matter the area of expertise. 

As far as why Trump is getting these treatments, here’s my theory. He felt symptoms on Friday, has some mild hypoxia and he must’ve had some elevated lab markers that can portend a worse course. Maybe elevated CRP or something.  So they decided to be aggressive before he really appeared very sick. Also, cost and scarcity are not an issue obviously. 

Thus the warnings about watching him closely, but he’s likely going to be out soon. 

There you are...I was worried about you! Any thoughts on the President knowingly infecting people with COVID-19?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

There’s just no fucking way all of this is precautionary because he’s the President. Being in the hospital and throwing the kitchen sink at him as exactly what you wouldn’t do if he was ok.

and that’s a real possibility too. And then the photo ops would be straight out of the strong man, authoritarian, fascist leader playbook.

15 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Continue to fuck off 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Everything about this suggests it’s bad and the inner circle are worried  about a 25th amendment invocation and are trying to manage perceptions.  But go own with your “they are throwing the kitchen sink at him because he’s fine” Theories.

Edited by Bateshorn

• immamac changed the title to The Trump + Covid thread