The Trump + Covid thread

Gil Bang

2 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Which means he probably gave it to everybody there and at debate prep. And he knew he had it when he went to the debate, so he skipped the test there. Which results in more evidence he’s a piece of shit. But it means nothing to his supporters. 

It's called leadership! He was showing strength!

Yeah, even you dumbass science deniers who love him...y’all know that the new timeline details his physician just laid out does mean he’s on the mend, but he knew he had it and infected maybe hundreds of people for no reason.  

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Reading those papers, and especially the supplementary materials where the details are really laid out, really makes you appreciate the nerds that understand this shit on that other level.  

Yup, I remember showing up to my first (and only) astronomy course as a wee freshman.  Being from the sticks, I guess I thought it would be like sitting in a planetarium for 3 hours a week.  So day 1 I'm sitting in Welch Hall excited about looking at stars and then we're neck deep in math.  I have a whole new level of respect for astronomists, and I know that's something I do not have the brain power to handle.

24 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Apparently the White House won’t answer a very simple question. When is the last time the president tested negative.

ok, so let's isolate this for a minute, since we've seen them obfuscate on this one for several days.  obviously they don't want to disclose the answer.  but why?  here are the options:

1. because there might be earlier positive tests, which indicate he had it longer than people acknowledge (possibly during the debate), which would show (even more) reckless and harmful behavior to those around him 

2. because it would show that the president doesn't get tested nearly as often as they would have us believe

while i wouldn't put it past them for it to be #1, i'm almost sure it's #2.  he says he gets tested daily, and tests keep you safe, so he's safe.  that's always been their story.  as an aside, i'm fine if the president never gets tested.  why would he ever have to?  if everyone who comes within 25 feet of him is tested and retested 2-3x a day and he's essentially living in a protected sphere, then sure, he doesn't need to get tested.  but that's not what's happening.

he's bouncing around all over the place, campaigning included.  and staffers aren't even being tested in any discernable or organized pattern.  they're back and forth from the white house to the eeob and the oeob and the hill and who knows where else (makes you feel really sorry for the families of the staffers/aides).  therefore, the president must get tested daily, and wear a mask, and socially-distance.

and even if the new test doesn't involve the swab up into the brain, it's still seen as "an imposition", or at least it is to someone like trump.  and i'm sure there's someone around whose job it is to say, mr president, it's time for your test.  and that person has no recourse when the president says, "nah, not now, i feel fine, i'll do it later."  if he's even that nice.  i would assume half the time he just ignores him.

so now we're left with a president who doesn't feel like taking the test, so he doesn't.  and thus, there aren't many test results, at least not recent ones, even if they are/were in fact, negative, which is what my gut is telling me.  i think the correct answer is "he tested positive on thursday oct 1st, and his last test of any kind was back on sept 19th, and it was negative.  the absence of a negative test doesn't tell me there was an earlier positive, it tells me this president doesn't care about others, or rules, or protocols, and certainly doesn't care about putting his spokespeople into awkward situations where they're forced to lie for him.

and once again, we have a situation where the press and the public is now inclined to believe the bigger lie (that trump had earlier positive tests) because they won't ever admit to the smaller lie (that the president just doesn't get tested very often).  this is how a child behaves.  this is how trump behaves.  and now this is how everyone in his orbit behaves.  deny deny deny all the way to the end of time.  it's like telling your parents that you've never snuck out of your bedroom window, and now they think you're off shooting heroin, when you were really playing video games with your neighbor in his garage.

and the idiocy continues.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Yup, I remember showing up to my first (and only) astronomy course as a wee freshman.  Being from the sticks, I guess I thought it would be like sitting in a planetarium for 3 hours a week.  So day 1 I'm sitting in Welch Hall excited about looking at stars and then we're neck deep in math.  I have a whole new level of respect for astronomists, and I know that's something I do not have the brain power to handle.

LOL.  I enrolled in that class too and fucking dropped it after the first day. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Anastasis
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

LOL.  I enrolled in that class too and fucking it drop it after the first day. 

Self paced astronomy was the way to go.  The only problem with that was you had to take 3 additional hours of the same science.  Which meant that spring I took The Search for Extraterrestrial Life.  Figured we’d watch E.T. a few times.  That shit was some horrid combination of biology, chemistry, and math.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

He’s known he was positive for quite some time now I reckon. 

They still won’t say the last time president superspreader tested negative. 

We've seen 4 years of this administration not giving a shit about the truth, it's kind of surprising the way they are obfuscating on this. If a Trump surrogate looked down the barrel of a camera and said, "the President's last negative was Tuesday before the debate" isn't that better for them? 

If a source contradicts it they just do the same bad faith "anonymous sources" song and dance. Maybe throw in some HIPPA Pearl clutching.

I don't know, it's just wild to me they can't even be soulless ghouls effectively. 

Are we talking about that big section of astronomy that was entirely based on the Drake Equation?   Met in that big lecture hall in Welch?  I took it fall of ‘96 iirc. My first class at UT I think.  
Was a lot harder than I thought  it’d be.  

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Are we talking about that big section of astronomy that was entirely based on the Drake Equation?   Met in that big lecture hall in Welch?  I took it fall of ‘96 iirc. My first class at UT I think.  

It was claimed to be an intro to astronomy and yes taught in that big hall in Welch.  I took it in the fall of '90.  I no longer remember anything about it except that astronomers at UT were way more into science and math than they were into looking at pretty pictures of celestial bodies.  I was way more interested in looking at the pretty pictures than I was the science or math.  Especially since I'd just graduated from a high school that didn't teach evolution because it was against the religion of the biology teacher, who went to the same Baptist church I did.  I was not prepared to take any science classes when I walked onto campus, but especially not astronomy.

This is like that scene in swingers,

“when are you gonna get tested, tomorrow?”

“Nah.   Tomorrow, then a day.”

”so two days?”

”if you wanna call it that.  But everybody in the White House is doing two days.  I think three days until testing is kinda money.”

except Swingers was funny and this guy is gonna directly kill a few hundred people with his lying. 

11 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

the only C that i ever made in college was in Astronomy.  fucking mu mesons.  huge question on the final about it.  never studied it.  hardest class i took on the 40. 

astronomy talk not going away.

Thats because muons are not mesons, they are leptons instead.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Apparently the White House won’t answer a very simple question. When is the last time the president tested negative.

That is not a red flag. That is 1000 red sirens blaring.

How long has President superspreader known he had Covid?  Did he only disclose it after symptoms got to the point he had to go to the hospital? 

i've been saying this for days. i would guess he has already had positive tests for the past 10 days, into the last full week of september. i'd put a bet down on sept 24th or 25th as the day he first tested positive. he was probably largely asymptomatic, went the the rose garden event anyways on the 26th, and the gold star event on the 27th, which was an indoor event and featured few masks. those dates fit within the 10 day virus timeline of developing symptoms. i'd be willing to bet his first symptoms started on the day of the debate, and that's why they were too late to take a test. i think it also sort of explains his fucking maniacal performance. i mean, we all know how he is, but he was super-agitated during that debate. two days later, the news about hope hicks broke, and then the cat was out of the bag, so the white house admitted it, because the president was really sick. the very next day, he got experimental regeneron and went to walter reed. now, today, his doc is claiming he is symptom and fever free, almost two weeks following my proposed positive test date, which fits with how this virus sometimes seems to work.

he willfully and intentionally endangered people around him. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Another problem is that the WH staff was relying on Abbot Labs instant test, which is not approved for use on asymptomatic people, and has a lot of false positives and false negatives. And this was the only thing they were relying on; if someone tested negative, they were good to go, no masks or social distancing required. Just a shitshow all around.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/06/health/covid-white-house-testing.html?searchResultPosition=3

“It seems the White House put all their eggs in one basket: testing,” said Dr. Megan Ranney, an emergency medicine physician at Brown University. “But there is no single strategy, no single thing we can do to be safe. It has to be multimodal.”

Other health experts noted that the tests deployed by the White House, manufactured by Abbott Laboratories, were given emergency clearance by the Food and Drug Administration only for people “within the first seven days of the onset of symptoms.” But they were used incorrectly, to screen people who were not showing any signs of illness. Such off-label use, experts said, further compromised a strategy that presumably was designed to keep leading officials safe from a pandemic that so far has killed more than 210,000 Americans.

Edited by Bat Guano

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

i've been saying this for days. i would guess he has already had positive tests for the past 10 days, into the last full week of september. i'd put a bet down on sept 24th or 25th as the day he first tested positive. he was probably largely asymptomatic, went the the rose garden event anyways on the 26th, and the gold star event on the 27th, which was an indoor event and featured few masks. those dates fit within the 10 day virus timeline of developing symptoms. i'd be willing to bet his first symptoms started on the day of the debate, and that's why they were too late to take a test. i think it also sort of explains his fucking maniacal performance. i mean, we all know how he is, but he was super-agitated during that debate. two days later, the news about hope hicks broke, and then the cat was out of the bag, so the white house admitted it, because the president was really sick. the very next day, he got experimental regeneron and went to walter reed. now, today, his doc is claiming he is symptom and fever free, almost two weeks following my proposed positive test date, which fits with how this virus sometimes seems to work.

but this isn't how trump thinks.  testing = potential positive.  if you don't test, then you don't have it.  testing creates the virus.

even if he thought he had it, he would never get tested.  then you don't run the risk of someone near him (like those pesky doctors) seeing the positive test and triggering some sort of safety protocol for those around him.  instead, just tell everyone you feel great and dodge the swab.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

but this isn't how trump thinks.  testing = potential positive.  if you don't test, then you don't have it.  testing creates the virus.

even if he thought he had it, he would never get tested.  then you don't run the risk of someone near him (like those pesky doctors) seeing the positive test and triggering some sort of safety protocol for those around him.  instead, just tell everyone you feel great and dodge the swab.

also a valid take. but i do think that there is more to them showing up to the debate late. i think he was symptomatic, and people were starting to notice.

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

also a valid take. but i do think that there is more to them showing up to the debate late. i think he was symptomatic, and people were starting to notice.

exactly - another way to dodge the swab.  showing up late means you avoid another test.

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I mean, you want the team of a half dozen presidential physicians that you saw at all those press conferences in the last week to comb through as many as five to ten COVID test results from the last two weeks?  Especially when the test results were scanned in by one of hundreds of White House staffers into a very easy to discern single page memo?

Are you crazy?   We don’t have that kind of time or resources.   Now if you’ll excuse us, we have to go close down the international airport traffic for a 100 mile radius so marine 1 can fly the President and ten people to CVS to pickup some Benedryl for some seasonal allergies. 

his tEam now says he missed that last cleveland clinic test because of traffic. 

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

What is the typical time frame from positive PCR to IgG detection?  The Thursday negative IgG gives you a hard data point. 

From The Lancet two weeks ago:

Additionally, our findings suggest that IgG antibodies develop over a period of 7–50 days from symptom onset and 5–49 from symptom resolution, with a median of 24 days from symptom onset to higher antibody titres, and a median of 15 days from symptom resolution to higher antibody titres. These results suggest that the optimal timeframe for widespread antibody testing is at least 3–4 weeks after symptom onset and at least 2 weeks after symptom resolution. 28% of patients with a positive antibody response were tested within 2 weeks of symptom resolution, 67% within 3 weeks of resolution, and 94% within 4 weeks of resolution. In our survey, we did not find evidence for a decrease in IgG antibody titre levels on repeat sampling.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(20)30120-8/fulltext#seccestitle140

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Mine at OU taught us how our day would be if we were born in March. And we got to look at cool pictures.  Sounds like we win this round. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

This.  There’s no way he is letting people give him the sinus swab or a blood test over and over again.  Donald Trump doing something that causes discomfort to himself in order to protect others ... LMAO.

And even if he was tested and knew he was positive prior to the debate, he 100% would try to give it to Biden.  Biden dying or at least getting sick so Trump can call him too feeble to serve is Trump’s only chance, and it’s the narrative Trump has been trying to create, anyway.  He’s been trying to call Biden senile and too weak to hit the campaign trail as the entire thesis of his re-election.   And I don’t think anyone believes Trump would let morality stop him from eliminating the competition if he thought he could get away with it.

I think Trump most likely just refused to be tested because he’s a toddler, but the way he always pointed his face during the debate at Biden instead of the camera in order to non-stop shout virus particles at him while they were both maskless actually does make me wonder.

This seems pretty obvious to me.  It's batshit crazy but it's what makes the most sense. 

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

There is zero doubt that they are hiding a positive test or he simply wasn't being tested anymore. 

I'm gonna assume he was tested Friday the 25th or Saturday the 26th... and was positive...but couldn't reveal it due to his super cool fun party in the Rose Garden that he had invited all the cool kids from school to attend, combined with his big date on the following Tuesday.  So..he hoped his STD wouldn't flare up until after he had gone to the dance with Joe.  Then that nasty old skank reporter busted sweet innocent Hope, and he couldn't keep it a secret any longer.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Self paced astronomy was the way to go.  The only problem with that was you had to take 3 additional hours of the same science.  Which meant that spring I took The Search for Extraterrestrial Life.  Figured we’d watch E.T. a few times.  That shit was some horrid combination of biology, chemistry, and math.

Archeoastronomy of the Americas FTW. Thursday nights in Welch. Among other things we looked at the celestial alignments of various ancient structures and their significance to the cultures that created them. Fascinating stuff. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Mine was in RLM, I think. It was one of my first classes on campus.  I had just transferred over from ACC and after I sat in there a few minutes I was trying to figure out what the fuck I had gotten myself in to.  

• Hook 'Em 1

astronomy of the bizarre for the win. took 301 and whatever course number the astronomy of the bizarre had. welch hall. daily texan crosswords. skipped class one day to go listen to jesse jackson speak on campus, mostly for the spectacle, and hey, skipping class. i always hated math, but there is something satisfying about astronomical physics math. for some reason, i was really good at that.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

ok, so let's isolate this for a minute, since we've seen them obfuscate on this one for several days.  obviously they don't want to disclose the answer.  but why?  here are the options:

1. because there might be earlier positive tests, which indicate he had it longer than people acknowledge (possibly during the debate), which would show (even more) reckless and harmful behavior to those around him 

2. because it would show that the president doesn't get tested nearly as often as they would have us believe

while i wouldn't put it past them for it to be #1, i'm almost sure it's #2.  he says he gets tested daily, and tests keep you safe, so he's safe.  that's always been their story.  as an aside, i'm fine if the president never gets tested.  why would he ever have to?  if everyone who comes within 25 feet of him is tested and retested 2-3x a day and he's essentially living in a protected sphere, then sure, he doesn't need to get tested.  but that's not what's happening.

he's bouncing around all over the place, campaigning included.  and staffers aren't even being tested in any discernable or organized pattern.  they're back and forth from the white house to the eeob and the oeob and the hill and who knows where else (makes you feel really sorry for the families of the staffers/aides).  therefore, the president must get tested daily, and wear a mask, and socially-distance.

and even if the new test doesn't involve the swab up into the brain, it's still seen as "an imposition", or at least it is to someone like trump.  and i'm sure there's someone around whose job it is to say, mr president, it's time for your test.  and that person has no recourse when the president says, "nah, not now, i feel fine, i'll do it later."  if he's even that nice.  i would assume half the time he just ignores him.

so now we're left with a president who doesn't feel like taking the test, so he doesn't.  and thus, there aren't many test results, at least not recent ones, even if they are/were in fact, negative, which is what my gut is telling me.  i think the correct answer is "he tested positive on thursday oct 1st, and his last test of any kind was back on sept 19th, and it was negative.  the absence of a negative test doesn't tell me there was an earlier positive, it tells me this president doesn't care about others, or rules, or protocols, and certainly doesn't care about putting his spokespeople into awkward situations where they're forced to lie for him.

and once again, we have a situation where the press and the public is now inclined to believe the bigger lie (that trump had earlier positive tests) because they won't ever admit to the smaller lie (that the president just doesn't get tested very often).  this is how a child behaves.  this is how trump behaves.  and now this is how everyone in his orbit behaves.  deny deny deny all the way to the end of time.  it's like telling your parents that you've never snuck out of your bedroom window, and now they think you're off shooting heroin, when you were really playing video games with your neighbor in his garage.

and the idiocy continues.

Fantastic post.

This is why the Dems should hammer home that he must've knowingly had it at the debate and carelessly risked infecting Biden to cover it up. They won't and can't refute it, because they're already too far gone on the other white lie, which is that they rarely test him.

• Like 1

Really though, why not just lie? They lie about everything else. "Last negative test? Well lets see... ah yes he had a negative test on the Tuesday of the debate, and then another one the following day. Then the positive test Thursday evening. Anything else I can do for you?".

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Mine at OU taught us how our day would be if we were born in March. And we got to look at cool pictures.  Sounds like we win this round. 

A class at UT was harder than a class at OU?  NO WAI!!!

I too thought it would be an interesting, near blowoff class.  Mine was in RLM too as I recall.  Dropped it after day 1.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

I think it's a combination of these two.  I think Hayden's timeline of when he contracted Covid and started spreading it to people is correct.  But he didn't get tested until shortly before his hospitalization, instead becoming symptomatic and realizing around the time of the debate he likely had Covid due to symptoms.