The Trump + Covid thread

Gil Bang

13 minutes ago, Chewy's Hairy Horn said:

“You’re gonna get just what I got”

covid? Cool. Thx.

yes because he's funneled $450M to his golf club customer, has already done a national tv commercial for it, and I'm 100% sure we will eventually discover he has stock ownership in those companies.

You guys had Jessie Jackson speaking on campus?  At osu we just had a yelling lunatic in front of the library named Preacher Bob with a gallon water jug and a constant line of people waiting to debate him.  He said I was going to hell for having long hair.  

image.gif.3e32d0cbf902c2894b7372a8ba2cb391.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Homercles said:

You guys had Jessie Jackson speaking on campus?  At osu we just had a yelling lunatic in front of the library named Preacher Bob with a gallon water jug and a constant line of people waiting to debate him.  He said I was going to hell for having long hair.  

Oh we had a couple of those too.  One guy with suspenders that stood next to the drag and preached (harassed) everyone crossing the street to and from the west mall.

• Hook 'Em 1

we had David Duke and some fuckos from Jimmy Swaggart Bible College assail us with a veritable cornucopia of hatred from the confines of Free Speech Alley.
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

we had David Duke and some fuckos from Jimmy Swaggart Bible College assail us with a veritable cornucopia of hatred from the confines of Free Speech Alley.

My grandpa ran the City Park golf courses for awhile as sort of a retirement gig and said Duke used to go there and play occasionally. Said he was a nice guy. But my grandpa was a racist fuckhead, so there's that. 

/csb

Edited by BradInATX

Jesse Jackson came to UT on the semi regular. I went to his speech  on the west mall in 92. Later that day I did a lab for self-paced astronomy at RLM. I met a girl from Plfugerville in line, and took her back to the Dobie but she left because she thought my room was “too gross.” 
In retrospect it was a fair point. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Oh we had a couple of those too.  One guy with suspenders that stood next to the drag and preached (harassed) everyone crossing the street to and from the west mall.

Anyone remember what that guys name was on the west mall by the union who would harass girls for not wearing skirts circa 1996-1999? I believe he also had a Public Access TV show that came on before Alex Jones where he would wear a toilet seat around his neck and wear a pig mask? He also really disliked John Lennon.

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

26 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Anyone remember what that guys name was on the west mall by the union who would harass girls for not wearing skirts

Don't know that it was the same itinerant preacher man, but wearing jeans on campus while walking to class was a trigger for that guy. Me and my roomies were called  'sluts' for wearing that devil denim on our legs. Since every male student's head then swivels towards the object of preacher man's wrath, I guess we should've thanked him for the old school theology Tinder match.

Back to topic, the Secret Service must be pulling their hair out. Top guy is ill, several others have been reported sick and we're heading into arguably the craziest last days before the election.

Crossposting from the Trump catchall thread, because it's related:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-asked-walter-reed-doctors-sign-non-disclosure-agreements-2019-n1242293?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top

President Donald Trump has required personnel at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center to sign nondisclosure agreements before they could be involved with treating him, according to four people familiar with the process

During a surprise trip to Walter Reed on Nov. 16, 2019, Trump mandated signed NDAs from both physicians and nonmedical staff, most of whom are active-duty military service members, these people said. At least two doctors at Walter Reed who refused to sign the NDAs were subsequently not permitted to have any involvement in the president's care, two of the people said.

The reason for his trip last year remains shrouded in mystery.

The four people familiar with the process did not know whether, during the president's most recent visit over the weekend, he had the same requirement for Walter Reed staff members who had not previously been involved in his care.

Spoiler

Anyone providing medical services to the president — or any other American — is automatically prohibited by federal law from disclosing the patient's personal health information without consent. The existing legal protection for all patients under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or HIPAA, raises the question of why Trump would insist that staff members at Walter Reed sign NDAs.

"Any physician caring for the President is bound by patient physician confidentiality guaranteed under HIPAA, and I'm not going to comment on internal procedures beyond that," White House Deputy Press Secretary Judd Deere said in a statement.

In addition, all personnel assigned to the White House Medical Unit, which treats the president and the vice president day to day, are required to have special "Yankee White" security clearance. To obtain the clearance, they must be U.S. citizens and undergo extensive background checks.

Transparency about Trump's health has been a heightened concern since the White House announced last week that he had tested positive for the coronavirus, and the president has seemed to tightly restrict the information his doctors are authorized to share with the public. Dr. Sean Conley, the president's physician, has refused to answer key questions, such as when Trump last tested negative for the virus and whether the illness has caused him to develop pneumonia.

Multiple times in recent days, Conley, a Navy officer, has refused to disclose information about Trump's health by citing HIPAA.

"We've done routine standard imaging. I'm just not at liberty to discuss," Conley told reporters Monday when asked whether the president had any pneumonia or inflammation in his lungs.

Conley's written updates on Trump's health have included the note "I release the following information with the permission of President Donald J. Trump."

Walter Reed spokesperson Norris Agnew referred NBC News to the White House for comment.

Trump has routinely required that employees at his company, the Trump Organization, sign nondisclosure agreements. He continued the practice when he ran for president and even with some White House officials after he took office.

Arthur Caplan, the director of medical ethics at NYU Grossman School of Medicine, said some celebrities and wealthy businesspeople ask their physicians to sign NDAs, even though it is not necessary to protect their privacy.

"Ethically and legally you can ask for an NDA, but you don't need one," Caplan said. "Doctors can't share information with anyone except anyone caring for the patient or anyone billing the patient. And ultimately it's up to the patient whether or not the doctor can share information.

"It's more redundant than unethical. The presumption is privacy first," and doctors who violate privacy rules without just cause face severe consequences, he said.

Since his coronavirus diagnosis became public Oct. 1, Trump has sought to project an image of strength, with carefully choreographed public appearances, and he could see any information about his health to the contrary as undermining that narrative.

Trump spent three nights at Walter Reed after the White House announced that he had tested positive. He was discharged Monday and returned to the White House.

After Trump's unscheduled trip to Walter Reed last year, the White House said he was there to complete parts of his annual physical exam, which is usually done in one visit after the new year.

"Anticipating a very busy 2020, the president is taking advantage of a free weekend here in Washington, D.C., to begin portions of his routine annual physical exam at Walter Reed," Stephanie Grisham, the White House press secretary at the time, said in a statement.

Trump's two previous physical exams as president had been announced in advance, and the medical staff at Walter Reed was widely notified to expect a high-level visit. Neither of those steps were taken ahead of Trump's visit last year.

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

Austin gave the world Alex Jones.

sorry about that.

42 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Anyone remember what that guys name was on the west mall by the union who would harass girls for not wearing skirts circa 1996-1999? I believe he also had a Public Access TV show that came on before Alex Jones where he would wear a toilet seat around his neck and wear a pig mask? He also really disliked John Lennon.

Reverend Ricky

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Crossposting from the Trump catchall thread, because it's related:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-asked-walter-reed-doctors-sign-non-disclosure-agreements-2019-n1242293?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top

Reveal hidden contents

Anyone providing medical services to the president — or any other American — is automatically prohibited by federal law from disclosing the patient's personal health information without consent. The existing legal protection for all patients under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or HIPAA, raises the question of why Trump would insist that staff members at Walter Reed sign NDAs.

"Any physician caring for the President is bound by patient physician confidentiality guaranteed under HIPAA, and I'm not going to comment on internal procedures beyond that," White House Deputy Press Secretary Judd Deere said in a statement.

In addition, all personnel assigned to the White House Medical Unit, which treats the president and the vice president day to day, are required to have special "Yankee White" security clearance. To obtain the clearance, they must be U.S. citizens and undergo extensive background checks.

Transparency about Trump's health has been a heightened concern since the White House announced last week that he had tested positive for the coronavirus, and the president has seemed to tightly restrict the information his doctors are authorized to share with the public. Dr. Sean Conley, the president's physician, has refused to answer key questions, such as when Trump last tested negative for the virus and whether the illness has caused him to develop pneumonia.

Multiple times in recent days, Conley, a Navy officer, has refused to disclose information about Trump's health by citing HIPAA.

"We've done routine standard imaging. I'm just not at liberty to discuss," Conley told reporters Monday when asked whether the president had any pneumonia or inflammation in his lungs.

Conley's written updates on Trump's health have included the note "I release the following information with the permission of President Donald J. Trump."

Walter Reed spokesperson Norris Agnew referred NBC News to the White House for comment.

Trump has routinely required that employees at his company, the Trump Organization, sign nondisclosure agreements. He continued the practice when he ran for president and even with some White House officials after he took office.

Arthur Caplan, the director of medical ethics at NYU Grossman School of Medicine, said some celebrities and wealthy businesspeople ask their physicians to sign NDAs, even though it is not necessary to protect their privacy.

"Ethically and legally you can ask for an NDA, but you don't need one," Caplan said. "Doctors can't share information with anyone except anyone caring for the patient or anyone billing the patient. And ultimately it's up to the patient whether or not the doctor can share information.

"It's more redundant than unethical. The presumption is privacy first," and doctors who violate privacy rules without just cause face severe consequences, he said.

Since his coronavirus diagnosis became public Oct. 1, Trump has sought to project an image of strength, with carefully choreographed public appearances, and he could see any information about his health to the contrary as undermining that narrative.

Trump spent three nights at Walter Reed after the White House announced that he had tested positive. He was discharged Monday and returned to the White House.

After Trump's unscheduled trip to Walter Reed last year, the White House said he was there to complete parts of his annual physical exam, which is usually done in one visit after the new year.

"Anticipating a very busy 2020, the president is taking advantage of a free weekend here in Washington, D.C., to begin portions of his routine annual physical exam at Walter Reed," Stephanie Grisham, the White House press secretary at the time, said in a statement.

Trump's two previous physical exams as president had been announced in advance, and the medical staff at Walter Reed was widely notified to expect a high-level visit. Neither of those steps were taken ahead of Trump's visit last year.

I don't understand this story.  His health care providers can't release information he hasn't authorized due to HIPAA.  And how can an NDA with a government employee about that employment possibly be valid?  That would violate the First Amendment.  And who is the NDA even between, the physician and Trump?  But Trump isn't paying him.  The physician and the US government?  How could the US government require its employees not to comment on matters of public interest?

44 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

"You take drugs, Donny?"

"Everyday." 

"Good.  So what's the problem?"

"I don't know.  Covid, maybe."

Edited by Lobo

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

We had a group of youngish guys that would stand near Waco Hall with a bullhorn telling all the little Baylor kids that they were going to hell as they....walked to Chapel.

He was probably right.

Don’t feel like digging for the Anastasis post where he went off on Ted Lieu about calling it Regeneron instead of its product name and saying it was derived without the use of aborted stem cell tissue. Let’s pretend I’m quoting that for the reply. 

Last Friday, as Trump developed worrisome symptoms of covid-19, the president received an emergency cocktail of anti-coronavirus antibodies made by Regeneron. These molecules are manufactured in cells from a hamster’s ovary, so-called “CHO” cells, according to the company—not in human cells.

But cells originally derived from a fetus were used in another way. According to Regeneron, laboratory tests used to assess the potency of its antibodies employed a standardized supply of cells called HEK 293T, whose origin was kidney tissue from an abortion in the Netherlands in the 1970s.

Since then, the 293T cells have been “immortalized,” meaning they keep dividing in the lab, somewhat like a cancer, and have undergone other genetic changes and additions.

According to Regeneron, it and many other labs employ 293T cells to manufacture virus “pseudoparticles,” which are virus-like structures that contain the “spike” protein of the deadly coronavirus. It needs those to test how well different antibodies will neutralize the virus.

The two antibodies Regeneron eventually put forward as an experimental treatment, which may have saved Trump’s life, would have been selected using exactly such tests. Because the 293T cells were acquired so long ago, and have lived so long in the laboratory, they are no longer thought of as involving abortion politics. 

“It’s how you want to parse it,” says Alexandra Bowie, a Regeneron spokesperson. “But the 293T cell lines available today are not considered fetal tissue, and we did not otherwise use fetal tissue.”

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/10/07/1009664/trumps-antibody-treatment-was-tested-using-cells-from-an-abortion/

I’m sure he’s just as outraged that the president keeps referring to the cocktail he received as Regeneron and not REGN-COV2-whatever. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

I don't understand this story.  His health care providers can't release information he hasn't authorized due to HIPAA.  And how can an NDA with a government employee about that employment possibly be valid?  That would violate the First Amendment.  And who is the NDA even between, the physician and Trump?  But Trump isn't paying him.  The physician and the US government?  How could the US government require its employees not to comment on matters of public interest?

NDA's don't violate the First Amendment in the usual case because there's no state action.  It's an agreement between parties in their private capacities.

In the case of a President, there might be some state action sufficient to trigger First Amendment.  That is being touched on in the case of Trump's Twitter account, which he claims is personal, but blocked people claim involves state action and therefore is a First Amendment violation.  In any event the First is not going to invalidate an NDA automatically, but it might yield protection for those who violate the NDA.

And, in most cases, an NDA is not going to prevent any "leaks" or disclosure, as that would be a "prior restraint" and we know all about those, don't we./Lebowski.  It does make a breaching party liable in damages.

HIPAA has no exception for matters of public interest.  Reveal private medical info, you're going to be hit with a substantial fine.

In the case of Trump and NDAs, it is mostly likely a matter of sheer ignorance on Trump's part, and the fact that NDAs are a way of life with that sonofawhore.

While the President's health is a matter of public concern, there's a pretty long tradition of concealing things from the public.

And you know damn well if there was positive information to be disclosed, Trump would order it.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

NDA's don't violate the First Amendment in the usual case because there's no state action.  It's an agreement between parties in their private capacities.

In the case of a President, there might be some state action sufficient to trigger First Amendment.  That is being touched on in the case of Trump's Twitter account, which he claims is personal, but blocked people claim involves state action and therefore is a First Amendment violation.  In any event the First is not going to invalidate an NDA automatically, but it might yield protection for those who violate the NDA.

And, in most cases, an NDA is not going to prevent any "leaks" or disclosure, as that would be a "prior restraint" and we know all about those, don't we./Lebowski.  It does make a breaching party liable in damages.

HIPAA has no exception for matters of public interest.  Reveal private medical info, you're going to be hit with a substantial fine.

In the case of Trump and NDAs, it is mostly likely a matter of sheer ignorance on Trump's part, and the fact that NDAs are a way of life with that sonofawhore.

While the President's health is a matter of public concern, there's a pretty long tradition of concealing things from the public.

And you know damn well if there was positive information to be disclosed, Trump would order it.

Yeah, I get that.  It's why it doesn't make sense.  The matter is confidential pursuant to HIPAA regardless.   But an NDA entered into with the federal government in which the government tells you not to disclose information of public interest would probably violate the First/be a prior restraint.  And any agreement between trump personally and a government employee performing a governmental function would be invalid because there's no consideration/no contract between trump and the physician (and pointless anyway because of HIPAA).   I want to know if we're paying DOJ employees to draft this nonsense.  And if this story is true, I want to see the NDA, because this makes zero sense.

Edited by lemonlime

40 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Don’t feel like digging for the Anastasis post where he went off on Ted Lieu about calling it Regeneron instead of its product name and saying it was derived without the use of aborted stem cell tissue. Let’s pretend I’m quoting that for the reply. 

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/10/07/1009664/trumps-antibody-treatment-was-tested-using-cells-from-an-abortion/

I’m sure he’s just as outraged that the president keeps referring to the cocktail he received as Regeneron and not REGN-COV2-whatever. 

you missed it, but ana posted that exact same post yesterday.  i'm not going to go back and link you to it, but in that same post ana explains how that organ tissue is not stem cell tissue.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

My grandpa ran the City Park golf courses for awhile as sort of a retirement gig and said Duke used to go there and play occasionally. Said he was a nice guy. But my grandpa was a racist fuckhead, so there's that. 

/csb

I've always assumed David Duke is a hell of a nice guy -- so long as you're not a minority/POC.

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

This asshole's cavalier attitude almost makes you wish somebody from his inner circle isn't so lucky with regard to COVID. Is that really where we're at. OK, cool. Hook 'em.

The drugs were getting just a little too much credit for Trumps tastes, so he needed to go on national TV to take full credit for his "recovery".

Imagine how insecure you have to be to be jealous that an inanimate object is getting more credit than you are. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Homercles said:

4 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Brother Jed and Sister Cindy

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Found out how much that "I'm gonna give it to you for free" promise is going to cost, huh?

He's gyped or put countless small operations out of business because he wouldn't honor his contracts. I'm sure he'll deliver honestly this time.

Should he have a Covid crash, it should be mid-sentence where he's telling us he could have beat it without medical help.

Fuck this guy.