Fuck Big 12 refs

taybo20

I have gone back and watched it in as slow a motion as I can and I do see partly what you see.  But it certainly looks to me that the in the initial contact between the LB and the OU guy that the OU guy had his hands in the chest of the LB.  He was driving him.  The OU guys hand doesnt seem to get to the back shoulder of the LB until the LB tries to spin.  It is maybe a grey area but I doubt that gets called holding even 2% of the times it occurs.
Lets not forget it was the exact same fucking play they scored on previously and the LB still let himself get blocked out of the play.  Zero anticipation or awareness.  He doesn't even try to get outside of the block either time.  Watch both plays.  When the LB sees #9 heading for him exactly as he did before in the exact same formation, the LB has to get outside of the block to stop the runner or at least slow him down.  But he just lets the blocker run right up to him.  That is bad defense.
There are crucial missed calls in every game but I dont think that was one of them.  It was also a damn fine designed play that OU executed perfectly.

You inspired me to do the same. A little slow mo and pausing too.

I’ll try to upload a screenshot, but the lead blocker didn’t engage with his hands inside. You can clearly see his shitty, bs technique evolving. He has no intention of keeping his hands inside. Now initial contact was head up contact , but the blockers head slides to the right immediately.

It’s not a gray area at all. Now shitty refs have muddied the waters some. But that’s a hold all day, every day.

A couple notes on your supposition of the effort and play. Offenses make plays. Sometimes they fool you then you correct the next time you see it. That’s the way football goes so that point is of no consequence in this play. If the LB doesn’t engage, then the cutback likely opens up as the blocker then simply kicks out. And that is why your outside shoulder stays free.

Then there’s a screenshot with the defenders back facing the sideline again evidencing a hold. He will be there for the tackle. That’s his damn job. His job didn’t get done because the blocker went outside the rules. Intentionally and blatantly.

Now maybe I’m too dumb to upload a screenshot or two. That’s a whole nother issue.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It happens to everybody. Penn State fans seem to think that, if not for the officials who are conspiring against them, they’d win every game. I could give you a long list of bad calls and non-calls that went against Ohio State. My biggest pet peeve is the inconsistency in targeting calls. I used to post video clips in game threads of hits that got Buckeye players ejected when the exact same hit was ruled not to be targeting in that particular game. Woody Hayes used to teach that you have to expect all the calls to go against you and you have to be prepared to overcome that.

Check this out. This play didn’t even get reviewed. I’ve heard different explanations. One was that there were technical difficulties in the replay booth. Another was that the replay official was in the restroom at the time.

I should add that that set up an Illinois TD back in 2007 and the Illini went on to upset tOSU. It should’ve been a touchback and Buckeye ball. Did that change the outcome of the game? Who knows? But it gave Illinois momentum and confidence. They went on to win the Big Ten with Ron Zook as head coach only to get throttled by Pete Carroll’s Trojans in the Rose Bowl. 

Nope. None of us have seen a team have plays repeatedly reviewed and penalties called after the fact like Texas had in 2016 or 2017. It happened several times that season. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/20/2021 at 8:55 AM, Eskimohorn said:

But the 2013 season is interesting because I do recall a road screw job for Texas against Iowa St with PIs and fumble recoveries. That it happened to benefit Mack Brown when he was on the hot seat is suspicious.

I took a few screen shots before I went to the next game in Ames just in case some Cyclone fuck started bitching about the fumble recovery.

These are the first two frames showing the ISU defender moving like he was in the process of stripping the ball. The ball carrier’s right foot is off the ground, and his right hip is on the turf.

D2-A967-DE-1-EE7-4014-B903-C06-C68-D4162

16-CFFDA5-D3-C9-446-C-870-F-A6-F879-F178And this third frame - albeit blurry - shows our guy’s entire right leg on the ground, knee bent, and the ISU player still hadn’t emerged with the ball.

19227-CB6-2-CA8-42-DF-817-C-EBA8-BF461-A

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

12 hours ago, sheeeit said:

The OU guy ran up to the Texas defender and the defender really did nothing to get away.  He didn’t turn him or try to swing his arms to get free.  He just allowed himself to be blocked out of the play.   Just bad defense.  

I’ve bitched all season that our defenders engage blockers instead of shedding or avoiding them. Makes me all kinds of ragey. 

10 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’ve bitched all season that our defenders engage blockers instead of shedding or avoiding them. Makes me all kinds of ragey. 

difficult to shed a blocker that is grabby hands.  eventually you can but the act slows you down enough to miss making the play.  

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Had Enough said:

This is 100% wrong.

Texas defender keeps outside shoulder free (this used to be taught but not certain now). That would be his right shoulder. Blocker engages with his helmet on the left side of the defender. RB runs to the right of the Texas defender.

Now when the defender tries to spin out of the blocker and to the right where the ball carrier is, you will see the blockers left hand has jersey of the defender on the backside of the defenders right shoulder. This keeps the defender from being able to disengage.

With blockers head opposite of the ball carrier, it is not possible to keep the defender from flowing right unless that left arm goes some place it is not legally allowed to be. Thus the reason for the attempt to spin out of it, but the spin can’t happen because that left arm is wrapped in a bear hug fashion. Keep in mind the defender has what a third of a second to get away.

Now somebody screenshot Overshown getting face mask blocked by the wr on the same play. I believe there were 3 different choices for holding on that 1 play.

19 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Sometimes that is the point.  Draw blockers and let someone else get around and prevent holes.

Doesn't seem to work that way too often, but sometimes that is what they are trying to do.

3 hours ago, bullet said:

Sometimes that is the point.  Draw blockers and let someone else get around and prevent holes.

Doesn't seem to work that way too often, but sometimes that is what they are trying to do.

Ohhhh…so our defenders are executing to perfection. Draw that blocker instead of filling the hole. I guess Brock really is good. Got it. 

25 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

4th and 3 up 21-17, OUs pulling TE held / tackled (full on wrap up) the kick out defender at the point of attack springing Caleb Williams for a 40 yard TD. Ballgame.

fuck the big 12

It wasn’t even the most obvious hold of the day since it wasn’t in clear open space. But it was the most important. That’s what matters. 

On 10/21/2021 at 7:39 PM, Had Enough said:

8089756c83051bf9ddef6b2396844d14.jpg

This picture right here tells the story. This is how OU engages to block every time because it's what they're taught. They head into contact fully committed to grabbing the outside of the opponent's shoulder pads. 

That is holding outside the frame and it's literally what OU is trying to do on every block. It's ridiculous that it's been happening for decades. And the blame falls heavily on Texas for not putting a stop to it. And it has ended up embarrassing the conference when OU gets rolled in BCS title game or playoffs when their offense isn't good enough to produce if the officials are calling it correctly. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

This picture right here tells the story. This is how OU engages to block every time because it's what they're taught. They head into contact fully committed to grabbing the outside of the opponent's shoulder pads. 

That is holding outside the frame and it's literally what OU is trying to do on every block. It's ridiculous that it's been happening for decades. And the blame falls heavily on Texas for not putting a stop to it. And it has ended up embarrassing the conference when OU gets rolled in BCS title game or playoffs when their offense isn't good enough to produce if the officials are calling it correctly. 

They are in for a rude awakening when they play in a conference that actually calls holding.   Agreed 100% it's a coached strategy.  But that's not going to be an easy habit to break.

1 minute ago, Jkwellborn said:

What did I miss? I mean, he was flagged for turning around and looking to see where everyone was?

Big 12 mandate  "find ways to influence the game by throwing a flag or not throwing the flag"

Edited by taybo20
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Prime said:

How do you take a td off the board? You add the yardage to the ensuing kickoff. Heads should roll for a call this awful. It just looks like someone is on the take and it’s getting absurd.

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

They are in for a rude awakening when they play in a conference that actually calls holding.   Agreed 100% it's a coached strategy.  But that's not going to be an easy habit to break.

Like the SEC? Because they hold plenty. When it’s said that the sec is a los conference, then it’s a basic feature.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

yep.  they grab outside the frame at the shoulders.  usually they "pull" with the hand that is opposite of the way the defensive player is moving so it is not as obvious.  they still do grab with the "outside" hand a little.  good coaching and unless you are going to call it early it continues throughout the game and they'll throw a flag late when it doesn't matter so it looks like they were looking for it all game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/21/2021 at 2:11 PM, Thermos H. Christ said:

Whining about the refs and their grand conspiracy against us is the most embarrassing loser aggy shit. Obviously the refs are doing nothing to help us out but we’ve had plenty of (mostly unimportant) chickenshit calls go our way over the years and gotten away with uncalled holding, PI, targeting, etc countless times, much like our opponents. Maybe we typically have more penalties than our opponents because we’ve mostly fielded poorly coached undisciplined teams for over a decade now.

Fuck that. It’s attitudes like this that have allowed OU and Tech for a time under leach to get away with what they are and we’re doing. They are taught holding. It’s a fact. And the big 12 refs let them get away with it. Once leach left tech they eventually stopped doing it. 

When we played aggy I never claimed they were taught holding, same with Baylor or OSU or anyone else. We got screwed by the refs against Baylor way backin the grant Taeff farewell game and against OSU in 2015 but whatever. Those were isolated instances. Who knows why. OU holding on the other hand is systematic, is obviously taught, and I’m sick of it. Call the fucking game correctly and they will stop doing it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Every offense, including ours, holds on every play. It’s just a matter of how flagrant it is and how obviously it impacts the outcome of the play. 

Fuck off. No this is not correct. And if it is, let’s either call holding on every single play and nobody ever scores, or let’s just eliminate the rule entirely and say any offensive player is free to grab and hold the jersey and shoulder pads of every defensive player and that’s just how  it is.

Fuck this both sides bullshit. Call the game correctly or fucking change the rules.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Every offense, including ours, holds on every play. It’s just a matter of how flagrant it is and how obviously it impacts the outcome of the play. 

Wait you think our oline holds on every play??  They must be “mental holding” cause on many plays they don’t even get a finger on anyone 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2