Fuck Big 12 refs

taybo20

14 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

This thread cracks me up every year. If you believe the system is rigged, why do you keep coming back for this abuse every single season? I decided the NBA's officiating was corrupt in 1998 and I can count the number of games I've watched since then on one hand. I used to be a huge fan, but just seeing what a mockery the refs had made of the game was too much, so I bailed on it my late 20s so I would not stroke out by 40. 

I didn't buy a ticket to a big 12 game between going to 2015 Okie Lite and this year Tech. Went to OOC games and Bowl games only.

I don't think it's rigged 100% of the time, just that most of these big12 officials don't like Texas, and when we were coached by a turtle who wants to win by 1 point we didn't have much wiggle room. 

Gonna save for next year and nab some season tickets though. 

Georgia post game announcer team was whining about the refs missing calls vs. Kentucky.  Although I saw a phantom holding against Kentucky and another one that went UGA's way.  Also, a Georgia player got away with throwing a punch with 4 seconds left.  Kirby Smart got in his face, but the refs let the player get away with it.  I don't recall hearing those guys complain about the officiating before.  I wonder if the whole holding, targeting, pass interference, unsportsmanlike standards have become so soft that nobody knows what they mean anymore.

Yep. We were yelling that in the stadium. He couldn’t catch the ball inbounds because he was being shoved out of bounds before the catch. 

I had a similar angle to the refs. Only several hundred feet further away. Look like he pushed him out in real time. Pushed prior to arrival of the ball.

12 hours ago, wood said:

It wasn't outright fuckery in terms of quantity, but got damn if they didn't get their money's worth in terms of quality. The calls they fucked us on were fucking huge.

No doubt about it, there are two sets of rule books and have been for some time.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Yep. We were yelling that in the stadium. He couldn’t catch the ball inbounds because he was being shoved out of bounds before the catch. 

My kid plays kid-pitch baseball.  Yesterday, only the umpire was present, so he stood behind the pitcher and officated the entire game by himself.   Some balls were called strikes, but it was very consistent.   This man officiated the entire fucking game by himself and did an excellent job of it.  How can a group of 3-4th graders in a neighborhood league get better officating than a D1 college team?   

Yes, I know the answer already.

• Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, Nivek said:

My kid plays kid-pitch baseball.  Yesterday, only the umpire was present, so he stood behind the pitcher and officated the entire game by himself.   Some balls were called strikes, but it was very consistent.   This man officiated the entire fucking game by himself and did an excellent job of it.  How can a group of 3-4th graders in a neighborhood league get better officating than a D1 college team?   

OT: Calling balls & strikes from behind the pitcher is way harder than it looks, too.

On 10/16/2021 at 7:57 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

This thread cracks me up every year. If you believe the system is rigged, why do you keep coming back for this abuse every single season? I decided the NBA's officiating was corrupt in 1998 and I can count the number of games I've watched since then on one hand. I used to be a huge fan, but just seeing what a mockery the refs had made of the game was too much, so I bailed on it my late 20s so I would not stroke out by 40. 

I'm very close to no longer being a sports fan.  With evenly matched teams and games that come down to a play or two...or a call or two.  It's too maddening to have officials decide a game.  Basketball is an entirely flawed game and should not exist.  Fouls are subjective bullshit.  Baseball is on the clock with their non-electronically called strike zone.  I don't know if bias or any kind of conspiracy is the cause of it.  I don't care.  If there's no integrity in sports, whether by intent or incompetence, then the results are all bullshit and I need to stop wasting my time with it.

I'm not excusing our team for choking against OU or OSU, but in reality a well officiated game probably secures both of those wins.

Between the WR running OOB on 3rd and long, the QB non-fumble, and other BS, the refs were a solid 14 point swing in the OU game. That's ignoring normal holdings, etc.

For OSU, it was the roughing the passers extending drives (call it 3 point swing) and the non-PI above (4 point swing). Yes we lost by 8 but that's because we gave them a TD at the end to get the ball back. We wouldn't have been in that situation.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 11:01 AM, Nivek said:

When Fonzie Jumped the Shark on 'Happy Days' | Mental Floss

I don't think that was roughing against Casey, but it definitely wasn't roughing with Thornton.

The DPI we got called for was bad, the WR tripped trying to stay in bounds which tripped Josh Thompson and they both fell.  The non-DPI against us in the endzone I thought was a good no call.

OSU got away with several crackback blocks, which are supposed to be a point of emphasis this year.

We had 9 penalties with a whopping 7 being judgement calls.  The only ones I agree with are the hands to the face and the horse collar.  Sounds about right?

2 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I'm very close to no longer being a sports fan.  With evenly matched teams and games that come down to a play or two...or a call or two.  It's too maddening to have officials decide a game.  Basketball is an entirely flawed game and should not exist.  Fouls are subjective bullshit.  Baseball is on the clock with their non-electronically called strike zone.  I don't know if bias or any kind of conspiracy is the cause of it.  I don't care.  If there's no integrity in sports, whether by intent or incompetence, then the results are all bullshit and I need to stop wasting my time with it.

Oh man. That reads like something my wife would have typed just trying to troll me into shopping with her on Saturdays or being a father to my children. Pffff, fuck that noise. Maybe we should just win in spite of fuckery. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I don't think that was roughing against Casey, but it definitely wasn't roughing with Thornton.

The DPI we got called for was bad, the WR tripped trying to stay in bounds which tripped Josh Thompson and they both fell.  The non-DPI against us in the endzone I thought was a good no call.

OSU got away with several crackback blocks, which are supposed to be a point of emphasis this year.

We had 9 penalties with a whopping 7 being judgement calls.  The only ones I agree with are the hands to the face and the horse collar.  Sounds about right?

the Casey roughing was the textbook definition of what they are trying to do to protect the QB.  it was absolutely roughing just like Thorton's was absolutely not.  the horse collar being a letter of the law type deal so I can't really quibble with that and our player has to be smarter there.

just like holding we need to coach our WR's to "help" with drawing the attention to DPI.   the problem is they call the BS DPI against us and then don't call one that is arguably pretty obvious IMO against them.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

Oh man. That reads like something my wife would have typed just trying to troll me into shopping with her on Saturdays or being a father to my children. Pffff, fuck that noise. Maybe we should just win in spite of fuckery. 

Gucci, actually, this is your wife. Just for this we now have a date for Saturday - Home Depot to get some wallpaper, maybe some flooring.  Bed, Bath and Beyond if we have enough time. Afterwards, you are taking the kids to Chuck E. Cheese.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Gucci, actually, this is your wife. Just for this we now have a date for Saturday - Home Depot to get some wallpaper, maybe some flooring.  Bed, Bath and Beyond if we have enough time. Afterwards, you are taking the kids to Chuck E. Cheese.

You better put out then

Wanted to see this with my own eyes so I made this chart. Green is good, pink is bad. This is going back the last 20 conference games. Wish I could figure out a way to weight the timing of the calls. Did it bring back a Texas score? Or a key 1st down for Texas? Or did it give the opponent a key 1st down? What was the score when the penalty was called?
In the last 20 games…Texas has had more penalties called 14 times, opponent 5 times, and 1 tie.
In the last 20 games…Texas has had more penalty yardage 15 times, opponent 5 times.
BA29C73D-0A71-4676-A6F4-6B2B81B833A9.thumb.jpeg.d0eba638201c8dcb54c1edb448fc6af3.jpeg

Is that chart stating that our penalty yardage vs OU was 28?
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Is that chart stating that our penalty yardage vs OU was 28?

2 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

That’s what the box score said.

Christian Jones false start (1st Q - 9:14) - 5 yards
Derek Kerstetter false start (3rd Q - 11:45) - 3 yards
Junior Angilau holding (3rd Q - 5:53) - 10 yards
Jake Majors false start (3rd Q - 0:22) - 5 yards
Jake Majors false start (4th Q - 2:20) - 5 yards

6th penalty was the intentional grounding

38 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

Wanted to see this with my own eyes so I made this chart. Green is good, pink is bad. This is going back the last 20 conference games. Wish I could figure out a way to weight the timing of the calls. Did it bring back a Texas score? Or a key 1st down for Texas? Or did it give the opponent a key 1st down? What was the score when the penalty was called?

In the last 20 games…Texas has had more penalties called 14 times, opponent 5 times, and 1 tie.

In the last 20 games…Texas has had more penalty yardage 15 times, opponent 5 times.

BA29C73D-0A71-4676-A6F4-6B2B81B833A9.jpeg

Good stuff.  this doesn't include the end of game "doesn't matter BS make up" calls.  multiple games where it is is 4 or 5 penalties different against us and only one game where it is the other way(Tech last year).  I would like to see back to 2014 when we fired Mack.  maybe I'll work on that watching some other games this weekend.

I have no doubt the critical-ness/fuckery component would go heavily against us as well.  They LOOK for shit to call on Texas and ignore the same shit on the other team.  The roughing the passer disparity from OSU was the icing on the cake.  it can't be ignored.

TLDR: This shit is not random and fuck the Rig 12

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I  finally gave up on the NBA after Game 5 of the Western Final when it was evident the league wanted the Lakers in the finals over the Spurs.   That was the year I attended my last NBA game as well and have never been back to one.   Nor have I watched a complete NBA game, not even a minute of one.  

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Good stuff.  this doesn't include the end of game "doesn't matter BS make up" calls.  multiple games where it is is 4 or 5 penalties different against us and only one game where it is the other way(Tech last year).  I would like to see back to 2014 when we fired Mack.  maybe I'll work on that watching some other games this weekend.

I have no doubt the critical-ness/fuckery component would go heavily against us as well.  They LOOK for shit to call on Texas and ignore the same shit on the other team.  The roughing the passer disparity from OSU was the icing on the cake.  it can't be ignored.

TLDR: This shit is not random and fuck the Rig 12

Yeah I agree. These are just plain numbers and it doesn’t nearly tell the whole story. We all know what that is. Rage!

I have zero problem with poor officiating as long as it is consistent.  What pisses me off is when officials simply don't know the rules (this happens more in lower level high school games) or when rules are not applied consistently. 

There's no way in hell that Thornton's roughing the passer should have been called but not the one against Casey.  Thornton tackled Sanders while surrounded by other players, you had to be looking for that call to make it there.  Casey on the other hand was tackled 5 yards back from everyone else directly in front of 2 officials, to miss it there is unacceptable.  The lack of reviewing plays that could hurt OU when the conference reviews almost everything is unacceptable.  Having 2 holding penalties called against the TCU offensive line the last 2 years get picked up is unacceptable.  Having an official who intentionally made contact with Charlie Strong so that he could throw a flag on Strong still being employed by the conference is unacceptable.

Holdings, false starts, pass interference, etc are going to be missed and sometimes quite often.  When those are quickly and sometimes very questionably called against Texas while often ignored when committed by Texas' opponents is when it becomes a problem.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CowtownHorn said:

BA29C73D-0A71-4676-A6F4-6B2B81B833A9.jpeg

I guess we're the assholes...

tumblr_nyq6zlvwZb1qbvi8yo1_250.gifv

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Just another year where blowu will win the conference only to bow out in the playoffs once non Big XII refs correctly call them for all the holding they do.

OU bows out because their defense is absolutely putrid.  Kyler and Baker had good enough offenses to hang even with the 2-3 holdings that were called before garbage time.  The defense was all time shitty.  OU offensive lineman are very well represented in the NFL...I highly doubt those refs are also told who the OU players are to take it easy on. 

Do I think you guys get fucked more than others?  Probably.  Do I think it's some wide ranging conspiracy?  Not really.  For whatever reason people don't like Texas, the Jones stuff, or whatever it may be.  The OSU game was the most mind blowing one I've seen and I can't explain why they would want to give that game to OSU.  I think we can all agree OSU isn't some school with deep pockets to pull out one random game - if they did they'd probably use that against OU who has consistently buttfucked them.  

I also admit in the game thread I didn't think OU could have won without the blown calls this year in Dallas.  There was no room for error after getting down that much and having a cancer in at QB.  It's a different team with Caleb with some margin for error...

I'm also pretty sure this type of thread exists on 90% of fan sites.  

• Like 1

The problem is Big 12 refs are inconsistent, incompetent and prone to inserting themselves into games.

Inconsistent - not calling OU for holding for a decade and a half and inconsistent judgment calls on what constitutes roughing the passer

Incompetent - watching an OU receiver go out of bounds, reviewing it and then not calling it back

The last one - 2015 OSU.  That's all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I  finally gave up on the NBA after Game 5 of the Western Final when it was evident the league wanted the Lakers in the finals over the Spurs.   That was the year I attended my last NBA game as well and have never been back to one.   Nor have I watched a complete NBA game, not even a minute of one.  

Rockets in the '90s were always getting fucked over by the refs and the Jazz, because the Jazz were an easier cakewalk for MJ in the finals. I fucking hate the Utah Jazz to this day even though I've not sat down and made a point of watching an NBA game this century. 

You have entire Hall of Fame careers based in large part on illegal play.

Toss it to Shaq, Shaq bowls defender over, lobs in baby hook, AND ONE, which he bricks. If the refs called it by the rulebook he'd have half the stats he wound up with. Karl Malone was somewhat similar but a little more skilled and that little rat Stockton would have been out of the league in 3-5 years if he had ended up on some anonymous squad like the Hawks or Clippers. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, txhorns said:

Holdings, false starts, pass interference, etc are going to be missed and sometimes quite often.  When those are quickly and sometimes very questionably called against Texas while often ignored when committed by Texas' opponents is when it becomes a problem.

You forgot to mention a booth initiated review to see if a receiver caught a forward pass beyond the LOS so that an illegal lineman downfield call could be made. Against texas. When ou runs that type of play 10 times a game and once or twice it is completed beyond the LOS but who cares. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

Maybe you should have another look and then if you still feel the same way promptly have your vision examined.

this is a play when you need to teach the receiver to stop so the DB runs into him and then go "soccer".  these refs are idiots on the level you can't understand.  they are pavlovian.  you just have to give them the stimulus.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

OU bows out because their defense is absolutely putrid.  Kyler and Baker had good enough offenses to hang even with the 2-3 holdings that were called before garbage time.  The defense was all time shitty.  OU offensive lineman are very well represented in the NFL...I highly doubt those refs are also told who the OU players are to take it easy on. 

Do I think you guys get fucked more than others?  Probably.  Do I think it's some wide ranging conspiracy?  Not really.  For whatever reason people don't like Texas, the Jones stuff, or whatever it may be.  The OSU game was the most mind blowing one I've seen and I can't explain why they would want to give that game to OSU.  I think we can all agree OSU isn't some school with deep pockets to pull out one random game - if they did they'd probably use that against OU who has consistently buttfucked them.  

I also admit in the game thread I didn't think OU could have won without the blown calls this year in Dallas.  There was no room for error after getting down that much and having a cancer in at QB.  It's a different team with Caleb with some margin for error...

I'm also pretty sure this type of thread exists on 90% of fan sites.  

it wasn't that the refs wanted to give OSU the game.  they just happened to be the opponent when dingledick Deterding and his merry band of fucksticks showed up.

I don't think it's an actual conspiracy or that other teams are buying refs or whatever.  I do think there may be some anti-Texas bias that finds its way into officiating.  It's hard to argue with that chart.  What?  We're just that poorly coached, undisciplined and actually committed all of those penalties and the other teams we played are not?  Just not feasible.  The other thing that should be considered, though, is not just officials' incompetence, but also the skill of the other team in hiding their fouls.  We can see it on TV and replay with different angles and speeds.  The refs are seeing it once, from one angle and at real time speed.  Players are being coached to cheat in a way that is difficult or impossible for officials to see that they are cheating.

12 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I don't think it's an actual conspiracy or that other teams are buying refs or whatever.  I do think there may be some anti-Texas bias that finds its way into officiating.  It's hard to argue with that chart.  What?  We're just that poorly coached, undisciplined and actually committed all of those penalties and the other teams we played are not?  Just not feasible.  The other thing that should be considered, though, is not just officials' incompetence, but also the skill of the other team in hiding their fouls.  We can see it on TV and replay with different angles and speeds.  The refs are seeing it once, from one angle and at real time speed.  Players are being coached to cheat in a way that is difficult or impossible for officials to see that they are cheating.

How many Big 12 refs are aggy?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, txhorns said:

I have zero problem with poor officiating as long as it is consistent.  What pisses me off is when officials simply don't know the rules (this happens more in lower level high school games) or when rules are not applied consistently. 

There's no way in hell that Thornton's roughing the passer should have been called but not the one against Casey.  Thornton tackled Sanders while surrounded by other players, you had to be looking for that call to make it there.  Casey on the other hand was tackled 5 yards back from everyone else directly in front of 2 officials, to miss it there is unacceptable.  The lack of reviewing plays that could hurt OU when the conference reviews almost everything is unacceptable.  Having 2 holding penalties called against the TCU offensive line the last 2 years get picked up is unacceptable.  Having an official who intentionally made contact with Charlie Strong so that he could throw a flag on Strong still being employed by the conference is unacceptable.

Consistency is what everyone wants.  They know the rules, they see what happens and they don't give a shit.  No one gives a shit except fans who watch it.  Shit, even the OU fans know that was fixed.

Sark is a pussy for sending it just to the conference.    He has had enough film to hold a press conference on the no-call targeting this year and last year, and the multiple games of double standards going back over a decade.   He should get some GA to find the clips and put together a movie reel about the fuckery and name the officials involved and their pattern of bias.  But he won't.