2020 VP Debates: Kamala Harris vs. Mike Pence; Special Guest: COVID-19

Mrs Whiggins

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, HenryJames said:

You gotta love that Pete goes on Fox News regularly to shit on Trump, and the network continues to book him any time he wants to go on. I know it's "just" social media, but what a weapon to have viral anti-Trump clips coming from Fox News appearances.  

Buttigieg has been an incredible surrogate for Biden/Harris. 

• Hook 'Em 9

My take was last night The moderator was probably the worst one that I have ever seen.

this morning after reflecting I wonder if she was having to choose between doing a good job moderating and risking providing clips of her forcefully interrupting, feeding into their narrative that the media is against them.

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

You gotta love that Pete goes on Fox News regularly to shit on Trump, and the network continues to book him any time he wants to go on. I know it's "just" social media, but what a weapon to have viral anti-Trump clips coming from Fox News appearances.  

He has. He's a good one for going on Fox--thinks pretty quick on his feet. Some of the other former candidates have been out stumping as well. Granted, there are pandemic caused issues that restrict some of their reach, but Yang's working behind the scenes as an advisor and so on.

10 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

My take was last night The moderator was probably the worst one that I have ever seen.

this morning after reflecting I wonder if she was having to choose between doing a good job moderating and risking providing clips of her forcefully interrupting, feeding into their narrative that the media is against them.

Thank you, Behold.  

Thank you, Behold.

Beh-, Beh-

BEHOLD, thank you!

32 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Really? I thought she actually did a great job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Moderator was decent, but did come in with guns up because of the last debate. I think she could have been better at re-asking the question when a candidate comes nowhere even close, but that's not really her job. The viewers are too dumb to call it out on their own. And just proceed to start asking the other candidate the next question at a certain point rather than begging for a minute to get the speaking candidate to stop.

And I'll add that Pence did a good job last night accomplishing what he set out to do. He's almost a master debater.

Edited by JohnnyRage
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

I don't know this Harlan Hill fellow, but by the looks of his tweets...but I'm pretty sure, based on his looks, he's Chaz Bono trying to tap into his dad's conservative base.  

47 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I love Pete. I really hope he has a bright future in the Democratic party. I'm not sure what his next move should be, honestly. Run for higher office in his own state seems like the obvious choice. And I'm not sure if there's a cabinet position that makes sense or would raise his profile in a way that gives him opportunities to grow and move forward. I've seen folks mention putting him in charge of the DNC. Not sure about that, but man, I really hope this guy continues to move upward. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I love Pete. I really hope he has a bright future in the Democratic party. I'm not sure what his next move should be, honestly. Run for higher office in his own state seems like the obvious choice. And I'm not sure if there's a cabinet position that makes sense or would raise his profile in a way that gives him opportunities to grow and move forward. I've seen folks mention putting him in charge of the DNC. Not sure about that, but man, I really hope this guy continues to move upward. 

He ran for the DNC chair a few years ago. 

He'll be a part of Biden's administration if I had to guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Secretary of Veterans Affairs

Pence and Trump can't help themselves to being the dickheads that they are. Trump doesn't like anyone challenging him. He's had 4 years of bullying everyone including his staffers and anyone answering to him. No one can question or talk back to him because gotdammit, he's the President of the United States. He can't help but be a dick in these debates. 

Pence thinks all women should shut up unless spoken to. So naturally when Kamala, egads a black woman, speaks, he's going to act like a dick and talk over her. 

The moderation in both debates have been fine. These two dudes are making spectacles of themselves because it's what and who they are.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Social media right now is awash with women complaining about Pence--the interrupting, the talking over when the time was up, etc.

Last night I responded to a FB post by our old HS QB, who remains a big fish in a very small pond and who considers himself somewhat of a local influencer.  In reality he's just a sheltered dumb jock who's had his ass kissed for decades.  I think he might have taken a snap in college, but probably not two.  Former heavy partier who now "counsels" kids about drugs.  Irony.

Anyway, I digress.  I said the exact thing you reference in the quote:  when that "bitch" Kamala just sat there and smiled after Pence would interrupt, she was counting the votes of women who formerly supported Trump but were fleeing the Republican party.  Pence did Trump no favors on the distaff side of the ledger, save perhaps the small number of evangelical women who believe they need to be told what to do by gaslighting white men.

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

He ran for the DNC chair a few years ago. 

He'll be a part of Biden's administration if I had to guess. 

Yeah, but what post? He doesn't have extensive experience in most things that Cabinets head up. Ironically, Pete's biggest toolset seems to just be that he's a really, really smart guy and a pretty good speaker and politician. Which is extremely valuable, but where does that get maximized in a cabinet? We know he's not a Secretary of State, or an Attorney General, Defense, etc. Maybe we should revive the Pete thread to discuss, however

3 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Secretary of Veterans Affairs

I mean, ok, this makes sense. But at the same time, and no disrespect to that position because obviously our veterans have been neglected and mistreated and outright ignored and dismissed...but this doesn't seem like the kind of position that is a springboard for great things. 

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, but what post? He doesn't have extensive experience in most things that Cabinets head up. Ironically, Pete's biggest toolset seems to just be that he's a really, really smart guy and a pretty good speaker and politician. Which is extremely valuable, but where does that get maximized in a cabinet? We know he's not a Secretary of State, or an Attorney General, Defense, etc. Maybe we should revive the Pete thread to discuss, however

I mean, ok, this makes sense. But at the same time, and no disrespect to that position because obviously our veterans have been neglected and mistreated and outright ignored and dismissed...but this doesn't seem like the kind of position that is a springboard for great things. 

Most Cabinet positions are overrated. There may be a handful of meaningful positions. Chief of Staff, Secs of State, Treasury, Defense and AG are probably the only meaningful positions. You don't hear from any of the other positions unless something goes wrong. Fuckead Perry was Sec of Energy and held the nuclear launch codes. You did not and have not heard from him since. Carson was Sec of HUD and you only heard about him because he died of rona.

Edited by crash_davis

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Running for Senate would be a very risky move for him.  I’m thinking UN Ambassador would be a relatively high profile role that he can manage. That role would also give him potential to be Sec of State in 2024.  Otherwise DNC chair is probably his best play, other than just chilling until he can make another run for President.

13 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Most Cabinet positions are overrated. There may be a handful of meaningful positions. Chief of Staff, Secs of State, Treasury, Defense and AG are probably the only meaningful positions. You don't hear from any of the other positions unless something goes wrong. Fuckead Perry was Sec of Energy and held the nuclear launch codes. You did not and have not heard from him since. Carson was Sec of HUD and you only heard about him because he died of rona.

Damn you aren't kidding about not hearing anything from these dudes when they take their posts.  Carson still heads HUD. Herman Cain is who you're thinking of.

Edited by VivaNaranja
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Running for Senate would be a very risky move for him.  I’m thinking UN Ambassador would be a relatively high profile role that he can manage. That role would also give him potential to be Sec of State in 2024.  Otherwise DNC chair is probably his best play, other than just chilling until he can make another run for President.

I’m not certain of the lingo, but I’d like to see him receive more education (not formal). He’s a smart guy as said, a true Rhodes Scholar, and besides the marketing background also had I believe some in intelligence in the military? That is the angle to which I’d like to see him get very well versed. It’s obvious the intel/propaganda/media is increasingly dominating our lives and it needs to be reined in. Don’t know if he has to do that as a Congressperson or another way, but he could be at the forefront of citizen privacy if he chose to be. 

He should run for Lugar's old Senate Seat so we can have lots of DickButt drawings.  There's a Class III seat campaign in 2022.  Not sure how vulnerable Todd Young is there, but Indiana did have a Democratic Senator as recently as January of 2019.  Evan Bayh was wildly popular up there for 2 terms as a Democrat as well (1999-2011).  

19 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I'd give him State now. I think he'd do a great job, but then again I voted for him for President so of course I think that.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, but what post? He doesn't have extensive experience in most things that Cabinets head up. Ironically, Pete's biggest toolset seems to just be that he's a really, really smart guy and a pretty good speaker and politician.

I looked up his background, and I'd say you're pretty spot on.  Dual bachelors degrees, admittedly from Harvard and Oxford, and his service was in the Naval Reserve.  Mayor of a town smaller than Round Rock.  He just needs more seasoning.

Interesting factoid:  his mother holds two degrees from UT-Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thought the moderator did a good job. Thought Pence did well.  Kamala was either not expecting him to be that in control.  Her Supreme Court non answer was really bad and she walked into the raising taxes comments.  Pence was unprepared for the ACA question and he was on defense regarding covid for the first 20 minutes.  The mansplaining/equal time stuff is horseshit.  She got more time speaking than him.

2 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Thought the moderator did a good job. Thought Pence did well.  Kamala was either not expecting him to be that in control.  Her Supreme Court non answer was really bad and she walked into the raising taxes comments.  Pence was unprepared for the ACA question and he was on defense regarding covid for the first 20 minutes.  The mansplaining/equal time stuff is horseshit.  She got more time speaking than him.

She got more time because the moderator was forced to let her respond when Pence trampled all over the rules.

Your Trump vote is duly noted.

• Hook 'Em 4

Our 12 year old daughter came downstairs and wanted to watch the debate with us after hearing how crazy the last one was. Two things that resonated with her. Mike Pence talking over Harris. Harris looking into the camera and saying that they are coming for you and your pre existing condition. My daughter is a Type 1 Diabetic.

• Hook 'Em 1

It went about as expected I think.  Pence as VP generally reflects well on Trump and makes his supporters feel better about supporting him.  Harris as VP nom reflects not as well on Biden (I’m just looking at how soundly she was rejected in campaign) and makes some of Biden’s supporters feel worse about supporting him. 

• Fuck You 9

4 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

She did worse than Wallace. 0 follow up questions or holding either candidate accountable for their non answers. All she cared about was making sure Trump's interruptions didn't show up last night and that was never going to be there with Harris and Pence debating.

8 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

One non answer vs EVERY non answer. Hmmmm

the only reason their times were remotely equal is she had to go out of her way to get responses in. 

Edited by Bevo VIII

Just now, GRHorn said:

It went about as expected I think.  Pence as VP generally reflects well on Trump and makes his supporters feel better about supporting him.  Harris as VP nom reflects not as well on Biden (I’m just looking at how soundly she was rejected in campaign) and makes some of Biden’s supporters feel worse about supporting him. 

that's fucking rich. pence's base is the evangelicals. if they can look pass what a ginormously shitty and "un-christian" person that trump is, biden supporters can easily look past any shortcomings harris may have.

see how that works?

8 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

She got more time because the moderator was forced to let her respond when Pence trampled all over the rules.

It's like he didn't even watch. Half of her 2 minutes was spent with either her or the moderator trying to get Pence to stop talking over one of them. So her time should've counted towards his time.

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

that's fucking rich. pence's base is the evangelicals. if they can look pass what a ginormously shitty and "un-christian" person that trump is, biden supporters can easily look past any shortcomings harris may have.

see how that works?

No I mean how Pence is a more conventional politician, standard R smooth talker.  Harris is a good bit farther left than Biden, thus the difference. 

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

see how that works?

This is correct. I cannot fathom how a Christian could ever look at Trump, and all his Trumpness and say he is the man to represent me. When spoken to they all seem to focus in on abortion, because you know, it's 1973 again.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just giving my opinion.  I'd be listed still as an undecided voter.  

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

It's like he didn't even watch. Half of her 2 minutes was spent with either her or the moderator trying to get Pence to stop talking over one of them. So her time should've counted towards his time.

I watched the entire thing.  Clearly took away their performances different than you.

Just now, babysdaddy said:

Just giving my opinion.  I'd be listed still as an undecided voter.  

I watched the entire thing.  Clearly took away their performances different than you.

Tell that to all the women on social media this morning angry about how it reminds them of all the men that talk over them in meetings and the board room.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I didn’t watch a second of it. 

I’m just glad to see here that Kamala Harris has so drastically improved since her Presidential campaign. She is now a solid debater, with an A+ personality. Very likable. 

Unfortunately your heavy negs say otherwise. CR very insecure over Harris performance. Will it matter? We’ll see. Maybe Trump will take some cues from Pence. 

Nah, the negs say you're a trolling shitbag incapable of engaging in the community without being a trolling shitbag.  It is what it is,

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

No I mean how Pence is a more conventional politician, standard R smooth talker.  Harris is a good bit farther left than Biden, thus the difference. 

As it pertains to this debate, she wasn't. She shot down the green bill, and shot down raising taxes on anyone making under 400k. Her only far left statement was believing that women should have the right to choose what happens to their bodies. Unless I am missing something she kept it pretty close to home.

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

As it pertains to this debate, she wasn't. She shot down the green bill, and shot down raising taxes on anyone making under 400k. Her only far left statement was believing that women should have the right to choose what happens to their bodies. Unless I am missing something she kept it pretty close to home.

That’s not a far left position unless 60-70% of the country is far left. 

The Overton window in the United States is insane. 

• Hook 'Em 1