Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d duck. Rose Bowl win, 11-1 season in 2004. Big 12 South champs, 11-2 season in 2001. Also 11-2 in 2022, and 10-3 in 2003.

Yep, and those morons used to ridicule “Chrissy” Simms - the QB who absolutely dragged his nuts over their goober faces his senior year.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Edgerrin Cooper, aggy's one truly great player this season, absolutely shafted by not making the Butkus Award finalists. 

Scuttlebutt that aggy might have forgotten to send in the paperwork.

20231106_232359.jpg

Happy Season 1 GIF by FOX TV

why would he even mentiont this?!

• Hook 'Em 3

What about Gundy? I don't think he's got any desire to leave oSu and he's about to be the unquestioned best coach in a shitty conference, but if aggy offers him $10-$15mm a year he'd have to at least listen. Plus, he hates NIL so he'd be hands off & likely let the rubes try to continue their antiquated bag game.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

What about Gundy? I don't think he's got any desire to leave oSu and he's about to be the unquestioned best coach in a shitty conference, but if aggy offers him $10-$15mm a year he'd have to at least listen. Plus, he hates NIL so he'd be hands off & likely let the rubes try to continue their antiquated bag game.

I don’t see it. Gundy knows what aggy truly is. just like with their recruiting, they do the best selling a lot of money and the theoretical potential of their program to outsiders who don’t look too closely at the weird as fuck culture and all the systemic issues with their program. 

3 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

This does not really seem to be a credible use of the English language. Can someone clarify what Liucci is trying to communicate here? He does not think a replacement coach for Jimbo will be expensive?

Yes. He's saying that a replacement won't be another 100 million contract. They'll sign someone else to a 30 million dollar type deal. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes. He's saying that a replacement won't be another 100 million contract. They'll sign someone else to a 30 million dollar type deal. 

Further clarifying to mean that the next coach won't be a sitting National Championship level coach (or even Lance Leipold) - it will probably be someone like Jeff Traylor. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Further clarifying to mean that the next coach won't be a sitting National Championship level coach (or even Lance Leipold) - it will probably be someone like Jeff Traylor. 

Yeah, if that’s the level they aren’t going to take a current P5 head coach (Leipold/Elko). They’ll be looking at P5 coordinators and young group of 5 HC on the come up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I mean it's what we have all assumed. Additioanally, he's saying there isn't the superstar OC or DC out there that's going to demand those high dollar contracts. 

I don't want Traylor near that program, but it says something if they're not even going to try to go after Kalen DeBoer. Becuase I can see him getting a high priced contract. Leipold makes 5 now. Is he going anywhere for less than 8? Kansas might be in position to contend in a now stable Big 12. Elko's buyout rumors might make him too expensive for A&M. We should probably make a list of the different coordinators or coaches we think they can got for the 5-6 per range, on a 4 year contract. Sark started in the 5-6 range, although he'll be getting a hefty raise after this season. 

Maybe they can tug mel tucker down to CS at a discount. Boy wouldn't that be delicious. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Gundy can’t recruit blue chip players, his program and culture is allergic to elite recruits. Gundy’s under dog, development based program won’t work at A&M because their ego couldn’t handle the painful growth period under Gundy. A&M would rather sign a 5* and touch themselves to all the off season articles about elite talent and then have them under perform rather then quietly develop someone who is a beast like Ollie Gordon.

Edited by Not a Sock

1 minute ago, Not a Sock said:

Gundy can’t recruit blue chip players his program and culture is allergic to elite recruits. Gundy’s under dog, development based program won’t at A&M because their ego couldn’t handle the painful growth period under Gundy. A&M would rather sign a 5* and touch themselves to all the off season articles about elite talent and then have them under perform rather than quietly develop some one who is a beast like Ollie Gordon.

I'm not sure this is entirely true. Conventional wisdom with his mass exuodus after last season had Gundy winning like 4-5 games. Instead he's arguably put forth his finest coaching effort to date, and he did it with cast-offs from the portal and other programs. And that turn around wasn't 3-4 seasons. It was immediate, and no one saw it coming this season. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure this is entirely true. Conventional wisdom with his mass exuodus after last season had Gundy winning like 4-5 games. Instead he's arguably put forth his finest coaching effort to date, and he did it with cast-offs from the portal and other programs. And that turn around wasn't 3-4 seasons. It was immediate, and no one saw it coming this season. 

This is missing my point, it’s not about Gundy it’s about A&M. Even if Gundy could perfectly replicate his system at A&M,  they would blow it up before it could bare fruit because the Aggies couldn’t handle the lows. The Ags would flip the fuck out if Gundy was recruiting against Mizzou, Arkansas, and Kentucky and not Texas, Alabama and Georgia. They would be apocalyptic if Gundy lost a humiliating game against a bad team even if that loss is used as a building block.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They don't have that kind of money. Hell, no one does. Texas couldn't muster $26M now, plus another $8M to release assistants, then pay another $5-20M in someone else's buyout, then be on the hook for a fresh $10+M in HC salary, plus $5M to the requisite assistants, plus the annual $7M on top of that to Fisher. That shit is insane.

The one year turnover in coaching staff is looking like 55 million plus.

It's funny that even if they hire a coach for 6-7 million they're still going to be paying 14-15 million a year in HC salary. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

This is missing my point, it’s not about Gundy it’s about A&M. Even if Gundy could perfectly replicate his system at A&M,  they would blow it up before it could bare fruit because the Aggies couldn’t handle the lows. The Ags would flip the fuck out if Gundy was recruiting against Mizzou, Arkansas, and Kentucky and not Texas, Alabama and Georgia. They would be apocalyptic if Gundy lost a humiliating game against a bad team even if that loss is used as a building block.

And you're missing MY point, apparently. You cited Gundy's "system" as not a fit with A&M culture, and the fact it's a reclamation project. And I countered that Gundy did a 1 year turnaround based out of spare parts no one wanted based entirely on his coaching accument. It can't be fucking culture when everyone has been there less than a year. The point is the growing paints might not be as long or painful as you'd think. 

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Assuming their funds are finite and Jimbo is fired, how do they allocate the remaining football funds (donor and institutional monies)? A high dollar coach, leaving less for NIL; or a lower cost up and comer, leaving more for NIL. 

Donor fatigue is a real thing when they’re paying $60+million for someone not to coach and the new hire isn’t exciting and motivating their fan base to fund a competitive NIL program.  Think that’s why they’re wishcasting an alum like Dan Campbell (?) or someone who ‘gets atm’ who’ll keep the donors happy and the money flowing.

• Hook 'Em 2

Spoiler
13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Supposedly these are two of the issues with the shitshow in BCS right now:

1) The money isn't super excited about perceived options on the market. Questions being asked around assistant coaching options haven't been answered in ways that get anyone excited. There's the notion of meh-if-you-do and meh-if-you-don't. That's not going to open up a bunch of wallets.

2) All of their chest-beating, including Sharp and Liucci doing so repeatedly and loudly, about money is now a problem. Gentle outreach into the agent world has been met with "it's gonna cost ya" and the expectation that anyone willing to head to BCS would receive similar treatment in the new contract to what Fisher had - meaning no performance based clauses and no tempered buyout. Plus the money would be in Fisher's range or higher. 

They don't have that kind of money. Hell, no one does. Texas couldn't muster $26M now, plus another $8M to release assistants, then pay another $5-20M in someone else's buyout, then be on the hook for a fresh $10+M in HC salary, plus $5M to the requisite assistants, plus the annual $7M on top of that to Fisher. That shit is insane.

Perception is more important than anything else to ATM. They've now hoisted themselves by their own petard, in the aggiest of ways. They are either going to have to take the public beating of being mocked for keeping Fisher and not actually being nearly as loaded as they've claimed to be for years, or they're going to sacrifice numerous other projects and programs to get rid of the guy and hire a suitable replacement. If they try to middle it and fire the guy but make a cheap and unimpressive hire, they're still going to face enormous ridicule. 

All of those amounts and then add increased NIL needs once you fire the current guy try to keep the little talent they have left on campus while dipping into the transfer portal.  That's a lot of scratch. I've been telling people, it's not a matter of the money being there in aggie wallets, the difficulty will be enticing them to open them up for a guy like a Traylor.

And to your point - why would the new guy accept anything substantially less than Fisher got when they've been crowing about how rich they are? I cant imagine them being successful approaching a guy like a Traylor and offering him a 5 year $30M contract. He could literally name his price because the fallout and perception of him turning down the offer would be disastrous (for aggies, not me). 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

And you're missing MY point, apparently. You cited Gundy's "system" as not a fit with A&M culture, and the fact it's a reclamation project. And I countered that Gundy did a 1 year turnaround based out of spare parts no one wanted based entirely on his coaching accument. It can't be fucking culture when everyone has been there less than a year. The point is the growing paints might not be as long or painful as you'd think. 

OSU got blown out by South Alabama and lost to a shitty ISU team, the season would already be over for A&M, the Ags would have been freaking the absolute fuck out and ready to fire the guy into the sun,  especially following an atrocious off season. OSU’s willingness to roll with the punches and having lesser expectations let’s Gundy succeed. Gundy and OSU are on course to have a better season than anything the Ags can  hang their hat on in a decade but nobody is discussing OSU in the same category as Texas and Bama and that would be seen as not enough in the eyes of A&M.

Sounds like their best choice of bang for the buck that actually looks like an attempt to affect change would be to turn over the defensive coaching staff, save probably Robinson. Hell they may need to promote him to DC to keep their dline intact.  

new oline coach would also help pacify their common clay fanbase if they could get someone that’s been effective recently. Probably another pre-retirement gig though for pay.  

but if the plan is stand pat and let him fuck shit up for another year and lose to Texas at home so you have the tailwind to fire him and spend- well that would be fun to watch. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

OSU got blown out by South Alabama and lost to a shitty ISU team, the season would already be over for A&M, the Ags would have been freaking the absolute fuck out and ready to fire the guy into the sun,  especially following an atrocious off season. OSU’s willingness to roll with the punches and having lesser expectations let’s Gundy succeed. Gundy and OSU are on course to have a better season than anything the Ags can  hang their hat on in a decade but nobody is discussing OSU in the same category as Texas and Bama and that would be seen as not enough in the eyes of A&M.

But what's he done since then has been impressive, and I think you're underestimating the ability of a&m fans to lie to themselves and wishcast new reasons to hope every single weeke, regardless of the situation. I just think we view things differently here and aren't going to agree here, and that's fine. 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Sounds like their best choice of bang for the buck that actually looks like an attempt to affect change would be to turn over the defensive coaching staff, save probably Robinson. Hell they may need to promote him to DC to keep their dline intact.  

new oline coach would also help pacify their common clay fanbase if they could get someone that’s been effective recently. Probably another pre-retirement gig though for pay.  

but if the plan is stand pat and let him fuck shit up for another year and lose to Texas at home so you have the tailwind to fire him and spend- well that would be fun to watch. 

You didn't want to go for the hat trick?

18 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

In a vacuum, a three-point road loss to a top-10 Ole Miss team while on your backup quarterback would be a complete non-factor on the recruiting front. A snapshot of the game all by itself would indicate an uptick in offensive production, while the defensive performance would be written off as an outlier.

I love this logic. Good thing happens? Positive trend. Bad thing happens? Write it off as an outlier. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One thing we know - recruiting is the canary in the coal mine regarding Fisher's exit. He stopped recruiting at FSU when he knew he was heading out. If he quiet quits at ATM, recruiting will be the first casualty.

Even if he tries his ass off, what recruit in the 2025 class is going to come within a mile of that program?

image.png.917dc8fba235f3bd3cced059b1b7ee82.png

This plays so well into Aggie pathology. They're not really bad. They've lost to good teams (except for the one that killed them). In a vacuum, all is okay.

But it's not a vacuum. A&M's okay-ness is being distorted by negative recruiting and a hail of arrows raining down on the Aggie football program. Recruits are thinking A&M maybe sucks really bad. Aggies know A&M is nearly perfect and oozing manly manfulness and honor codes and facilities and traditions! Thus, the opinions of these recruits is being driven down by mean ol' negative recruiters and, evidently, a large band of archers.

A&M sucking and staying the mediocre course is a narrative pushed by negative recruiting and those dildo-waving nancy boys in the liberal hell that is Austin.

Losing to good teams by close scores just isn't as much like winning as it used to be. Or so the t-sips would have you believe.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

What is great is that two terrible calls are the only reason they did not get blown out by Bama and Ole Miss,

The holding call against Ole Miss was a joke.  Nothing there.  Took a TD off the board that would have made it 21-0.  A couple plays later A&M blocks a FG and returns it for a TD.

Then the blindside block by Bama on their blocked FG that negated a TD that would have put Bama up by 14.

They don't ever think about those. Or the fact that against Miami they only scored by two short fields due to Miami special teams miscues and then in garbage time when Miami was down 5 starters on defense.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean it's what we have all assumed. Additioanally, he's saying there isn't the superstar OC or DC out there that's going to demand those high dollar contracts. 

I don't want Traylor near that program, but it says something if they're not even going to try to go after Kalen DeBoer. Becuase I can see him getting a high priced contract. Leipold makes 5 now. Is he going anywhere for less than 8? Kansas might be in position to contend in a now stable Big 12. Elko's buyout rumors might make him too expensive for A&M. We should probably make a list of the different coordinators or coaches we think they can got for the 5-6 per range, on a 4 year contract. Sark started in the 5-6 range, although he'll be getting a hefty raise after this season. 

Maybe they can tug mel tucker down to CS at a discount. Boy wouldn't that be delicious. 

The coordinator route would be Glenn Schumann, and pointing to Lanning as proof of concept. Good luck with passing the hat around for that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

2) All of their chest-beating, including Sharp and Liucci doing so repeatedly and loudly, about money is now a problem.

This really sums up Texas A&M's history.

They have never been able to shut up, whether bragging about actual accomplishments or tangible assets, whether stretching the truth about how "great" they are, or making terrible decisions to prove their greatness to the world. Extending Sumlin and Fisher were awful decisions. Hiring a coach that was on the brink of firing while telling the world he was actually great was an awful decision. Continuing to demand that everyone watch them while they drove the car off a cliff, while hilarious, was an awful decision.

If they would ever shut the fuck up and be introspective (which I thought the 100 year decision posed a great opportunity for) they might actually become something greater. Then again, they would no longer be Texas A&M. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

This really sums up Texas A&M's history.

They have never been able to shut up, whether bragging about actual accomplishments or tangible assets, whether stretching the truth about how "great" they are, or making terrible decisions to prove their greatness to the world. Extending Sumlin and Fisher were awful decisions. Hiring a coach that was on the brink of firing while telling the world he was actually great was an awful decision. Continuing to demand that everyone watch them while they drove the car off a cliff, while hilarious, was an awful decision.

If they would ever shut the fuck up and be introspective (which I thought the 100 year decision posed a great opportunity for) they might actually become something greater. Then again, they would no longer be Texas A&M. 

download.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

What is great is that two terrible calls are the only reason they did not get blown out by Bama and Ole Miss,

The holding call against Ole Miss was a joke.  Nothing there.  Took a TD off the board that would have made it 21-0.  A couple plays later A&M blocks a FG and returns it for a TD.

Then the blindside block by Bama on their blocked FG that negated a TD that would have put Bama up by 14.

They don't ever think about those. Or the fact that against Miami they only scored by two short fields due to Miami special teams miscues and then in garbage time when Miami was down 5 starters on defense.

The cult does not engage in,  encourage or support critical thinking. It is their biggest turdition. Just listen to chin pubes for 5 minutes. It's always someone else's fault..you know..big bad SIP.

We beat the shit out of each other over FUPA, Vodka Tom, 7 Win Steve, etc. Shit, one of you degenerates is going to blow me up for incorrect grammer and spelling. Thank God.

Aggy never even considered the negative implications of giving a coach $100 Million guaranteed. Guaranfuckingteed.

Don't care. Got Jimbo. 

Squeeze harder aggy.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1