Sam the only player to stay for the Eyes

GreenspointTexas

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I always felt bad about ever leaving a game early. The Eyes for me was to let the team know that win or lose I had their back. 100% both as players and human beings. I guess now it’s totally acceptable to leave early to beat the traffic once it becomes clear that a loss is in the works? 

This is what the eyes has become.  It’s origins are irrelevant.  It symbolizes a unity and bond between players and fans.  Fuck these entitled little shits for leaving their QB out there alone.  And fuck all the corner cowards who fucking knew it was bullshit but we’re to big of a coward to stand with him and dare face even a small amount of blowback.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I always felt bad about ever leaving a game early. The Eyes for me was to let the team know that win or lose I had their back. 100% both as players and human beings. I guess now it’s totally acceptable to leave early to beat the traffic once it becomes clear that a loss is in the works? 

Have you ever been to a home game? East side doesn’t show up until the second quarter and the west side is entire empty in the 4th. 

this thread needs to die in a fire. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, sidis said:

Have you ever been to a home game? East side doesn’t show up until the second quarter and the west side is entire empty in the 4th. 

How about a big fuck you.  I’ve been going to game for 30+ years.  It’s been the one unifying medium between fans and players.  Over good seasons and bad.  People do leave.  But many more stay and sing in support of their team.  Through good time and bad.  Jesus you fucking people

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It’s not a fight song. And it has nothing to do with the song. Have you ever played team sports?

I have. And the act, by definition, is virtue signaling. That isn’t up for debate. I’m just trying to think of a bigger virtue signal in sports and am coming up blank. Can you think of any?

2 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Back in 2014 Anthony Wheeler made a comment that after he went on a official visit to the TX OU game, he ultimately chose Texas (over an offer from OU) because after we lost he saw how passionate the fans were in supporting the team while sing The Eyes despite the loss. That’s what the song is about. It has nothing to do with race and never has. To see one of our proudest traditions evaporate is pretty sad. Probably worse than the shit product we’ve seen on the field for the last decade.

This.  This fucking right here.  This is what the eyes are.  Support for you team.  Win or lose.  Through tough times and good.  We stand and sing in support of the school we love and the players that give their all.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Players that had no idea they were so offended by the Eyes 8 months ago can’t give a shit that the Eyes may mean something different to one of their teammates. You think Sam has racist memories of singing the eyes with his father?  These dipshits didn’t either until scouting for a hill. 

Can we at least find humor in the fact a bunch of people are accusing a bunch of people for virtue signaling because they stopped participating in virtue signaling?

Obviously you and I agree on basically nothing, but isn’t that at least funny to you?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

They don't love it as much as you do and never will. 

They might not love it the same way, certainly. I'd bet that many very great athletes don't "love" the game the same that the fans do. In Ball Four, pitcher Jim Bouton wrote about having to pretend to be super angry after a loss to satisfy the media. He wanted to play well and did everything he could to win, but he just didn't relate to the way sports writers and watchers relate to the sport.

He certainly wasn't a hall of famer, but he had more sports success (world champion) than probably anyone on the field today will. I'm sure attitudes vary among elite athletes, but I think as spectators, we overromanticize the stuff about hating to lose, love of the game, and other symbolism. John Wooden didn't win all of those championships because he taught his players how to tie their shoes; he won because he paid the best players in the country to come play for him.

I get the desire for some acknowledgement of the fans after a game and I get mourning a cherished tradition fading away. Those are fair feelings, but I think there's a lot of reading too much into this in terms of it being related to the poor play. 

The team lost because they aren't that good and they're poorly coached. They make timely, dumb penalties that kill them. They make mistakes that turn the ball over. They don't block well. That's not a lack of unity that's solved by singing songs together, it's just stupid plays and poor execution (ie., a mediocre team poorly coached).

Especially when the team is losing, we often focus on things that are tangential to success on the field. It all reminds me a little bit of the Iverson "we talking 'bout practice" rant.  Rage on surly, but the team could have concluded with a perfectly choreographed Haka to the Eyes and they would still be a mediocre team that is poorly coached.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

How about a big fuck you.  I’ve been going to game for 30+ years.  It’s been the one unifying medium between fans and players.  Over good seasons and bad.  People do leave.  But many more stay and sing in support of their team.  Through good time and bad.  Jesus you fucking people

image.thumb.png.92ecf51df619247d5b3a75917d602d5c.png

9 minutes ago, sidis said:

Have season tickets. Family at least has had since 1986. Always got their early as a student but I’m passionate about UT football. It’s not the thread that needs to die in a fire. We all have a right to express ourselves. We all have a right to be pissed or nonchalant or whatever or be uncomfortable by a silly non-racist song. But seeing the team just run straight to the tunnel with no acknowledgement of the fans is bullshit. Moo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Holy shit, bunch of goddamned panty waists.  "Sam's the only one with heart!"  Fuck me, all this pity party shit is embarrassing.

We played like shit.  Couldn't run the ball, couldn't pass block, couldn't pass for shit either, and barely squeaked into OT because of a fuck up by Riley.  And in the end, like nearly every heartbreaking loss lately, we throw a fucking INT into the endzone.

But yes, let's focus on poor little Sam being the only player that stood in the middle of the field.  A true warrior.  A true Longhorn.  The only Longhorn that ever gave a damn about anything...That was the worst travesty of the day.

Hey, to all of you sucking eachother off on this thread.

20201010_155233.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

You’re wrong. Displaying loyalty to your school and fans, and standing together with your team, is not virtue signaling.  Coaching a team to be together through celebrations and heartbreaks is not virtue signaling.  

vir·tue
/ˈvərCHo͞o/

noun
  1. 1. 
    behavior showing high moral standards.

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Virtue signaling?   What the fuck is wrong with you people.  The ONLY thing separating the greatness of CFB and the homogeneous NFL games are the traditions.  They are what define CFB and make it great.  

It’s a signal of virtue. It’s ok to say that. Because that’s what it is. But you can’t say that because to you that phrase has become synonymous with people that hate this country.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yea, i dont really care about the Eyes, but it says a lot about our team that he is literally rhe only one who stayed. (Hes the only one in the middle with his helmet off).

Herman has lost the team.

045d9d47df2a0663e0781667c60af392.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, freyguy said:

Holy shit, bunch of goddamned panty waists.  "Sam's the only one with heart!"  Fuck me, all this pity party shit is embarrassing.

We played like shit.  Couldn't run the ball, couldn't pass block, couldn't pass for shit either, and barely squeaked into OT because of a fuck up by Riley.  And in the end, like nearly every heartbreaking loss lately, we throw a fucking INT into the endzone.

But yes, let's focus on poor little Sam being the only player that stood in the middle of the field.  A true warrior.  A true Longhorn.  The only Longhorn that ever gave a damn about anything...That was the worst travesty of the day.

Hey, to all of you sucking eachother off on this thread.

20201010_155233.jpg

If we had 22 Sams today, we would've won!!!!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

What a giant load of shit.  He was one of the few players that gave a damn.  He single handily kept the team in the game and gave every ounce of what he had.  All those fucking players that bailed on him.  He would die for each and every one of them on the field....And they abandoned him.  You don’t like the eyes.  Fine.  But fuck you for abandoning your team leader out there like that.  The season just died out there on the field....after the game was played.  

Season died this summer when the team was allowed to be divided by a non issue 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yea, i dont really care about the Eyes, but it says a lot about our team that he is literally rhe only one who stayed. (Hes the only one in the middle with his helmet off).

Herman has lost the team.

045d9d47df2a0663e0781667c60af392.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry about the game.  More of a sooner hater here.  Sam was a beast.  Played his heart out and gave everything he had.  Great kid.  You should be proud.

49 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Sam should probably just go ahead and enter the portal. If he could play a year with a team that was at least average and cared he might be able to salvage a career. He should just let this team crash and burn

And he would never in a million years do that because of his loyalty to UT, which makes it even more tragic that his time here was wasted under Tom fucking Herman...

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Sure, if that makes you feel better. I’ve been going to games for about the same time period and even stayed through to the end at the 97 ucla game, the 2000 ou game, and countless other toilet games. I sang the eyes of Texas at all of them just as much as I did standing in the stands after the rose bowl. I’ve sung it at the beginning and end of hundreds and hundreds of football games and even more baseball games. I will put my die hard fan credentials up against anyone. But acting like the players owe the fans singing a song afterwards when the fans have demonstrably abandoned them plenty to beat traffic many many times is a bunch of horseshit. I suspect I have endured as much as anyone and take pride in singing at the beginning and ending and I have always been disgusted with how fickle this entitled fan base is every time. 

but acting like the fans are diehard supporters through everything is just nonsense. 

our coaching staff chose to be stupid and not go for two twice to press the momentum advantage. They have made about every wrong choice possible throughout every game Texas has played under their tenure. That’s why you are pissed right now. Stop projecting it as some Alamo-esque life dedication to a song and some tangential bullshit that you’re distracted with.  

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It doesn't really matter to me that one can find an argument that the song is not racist. It's never had anything to do with race in my mind. I love singing it.

I like a unity of Longhorns more than I care about singing the song. Enough Longhorns feel negatively about it that I think we should do what these fellow students and alums want. If we retire it but some time goes by and people want to revisit it, that's fine to me.

Those objecting to the song aren't just looking for something to bitch about. I want that faction of students and alums to be as much a part of all of this as I am. 

This thread reads like the Aggies and Sul Ross in some places. If the song is like a statue to Lee or Jeff Davis to some people, we should let it go. It's really not a big request.

Again, this thread often feels like the CR with some looking for a new safe space. Again, that's sorta texaggy.

I'm not saying they're just looking for something to bitch about. I will quote Naija, because he/she put it best: "... let's be frank, there are other teams that have way more problematic racial issues/histories than Texas and hell, have coaches who it is clear as daylight where their political sympathies lie and had been on shaky ground this summer. Those teams have "SJW" players as well and are not facing these issues."

7 minutes ago, freyguy said:

The only Longhorn that ever gave a damn about anything...That was the worst travesty of the day.

His level of give a damn compared to that of his teammates is emblematic of the game and the season.  That's the point.  It is in lockstep with the travesty of this "team" being owned by a really subpar OUsucks team like were today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You’re wrong. If you think standing showing appreciation is about YOU, you’re just wrong. 

Rex, please stop. This has nothing to do with me. It has to do with the English language. You don’t get to redefine words because you don’t like their implication.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Have season tickets. Family at least has had since 1986. Always got their early as a student but I’m passionate about UT football. It’s not the thread that needs to die in a fire. We all have a right to express ourselves. We all have a right to be pissed or nonchalant or whatever or be uncomfortable by a silly non-racist song. But seeing the team just run straight to the tunnel with no acknowledgement of the fans is bullshit. Moo. 

If that’s true, you should know how fickle our fans are when it comes to their support. And they aren’t exactly worried about sticking around for TEOT.  This is when we were really fucking good. 

349B57BC-C6A8-428D-A722-C5DE3FFE90D2.jpeg

7 minutes ago, sidis said:

Sure, if that makes you feel better. I’ve been going to games for about the same time period and even stayed through to the end at the 97 ucla game, the 2000 ou game, and countless other toilet games. I sang the eyes of Texas at all of them just as much as I did standing in the stands after the rose bowl. I’ve sung it at the beginning and end of hundreds and hundreds of football games and even more baseball games. I will put my die hard fan credentials up against anyone. But acting like the players owe the fans singing a song afterwards when the fans have demonstrably abandoned them plenty to beat traffic many many times is a bunch of horseshit. I suspect I have endured as much as anyone and take pride in singing at the beginning and ending and I have always been disgusted with how fickle this entitled fan base is every time. 

but acting like the fans are diehard supporters through everything is just nonsense. 

our coaching staff chose to be stupid and not go for two twice to press the momentum advantage. They have made about every wrong choice possible throughout every game Texas has played under their tenure. That’s why you are pissed right now. Stop projecting it as some Alamo-esque life dedication to a song and some tangential bullshit that you’re distracted with.  

So the eyes is commensurate upon people leaving.   What the fuck are you babbling about.  Fans across the world leave early.  You don’t just fucking change your traditions become of it.  Jesus Christ.  

Just now, BabaYaga said:

So the eyes is commensurate upon people leaving.   What the fuck are you babbling about.  Fans across the world leave early.  You don’t just fucking change your traditions become of it.  Jesus Christ.  

When you’re done tilting at windmills, you can go ahead and show me a single fucking place where I said we should change the tradition. Please do. 

Staying at the end of the game for some acknowledgement of player by fan and vice-versa, and acknowledgement that there may be something  there other than the win or the loss, or even the game itself, has value.  Possibly even great value.

In our particular case, it is complicated by the fact that that scenario was accompanied by the singing of a song that some find offensive.

This shows that the resolution of "The Eyes Question" was incomplete.  The issue of post-game ritual needed to be addressed whether that included The Eyes, or something else.  If the players refuse to participate in a post game ritual, then fuck em.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Negged. 

Wanting this to be about your political biases is stupid. There was nothing wrong with the team having opinions and stating them on a major issue that concerns them. They're not losing because they care about other people off the field.

They're losing for football reasons. They're not soft; they're undisciplined. They're not stupid; they work in schemes that fail. They don't lack passion; they haven't been coached to control and apply that passion equally.

This pool of talented players is a mess, and I don't think it's because they'd be a mess no matter where they were playing. It's a football problem not a political one. Take your politics somewhere else, don't make yet another non political board your snowflake haven.

It is sad seeing only Sam out there. I'm not sure how to interpret it, but I won't run through my political filter, thank you very much.

I thought Herman was a good hire. If we get rid of him quickly, we will have a better foundation for the next guy than he got. His assistants were handcuffed by not having more time to introduce their systems, but that's just a footnote to seeing more of the same from the previous seasons.

Urban, Mullen, or Traylor for me. The sooner the better.

you mean the schemes that Ohio State used to kick the ever living shit out of Alabama to win a title?

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

If that’s true, you should know how fickle our fans are when it comes to their support. And they aren’t exactly worried about sticking around for TEOT.  This is when we were really fucking good. 

349B57BC-C6A8-428D-A722-C5DE3FFE90D2.jpeg

I understand the point you are making. You’ve a right to your opinion. I’ve a right to mine. I don’t see anything wrong with expecting the players to do something/anything to acknowledge the fans IN THE STANDS (still) after a win or loss as a team (Huddle up and say Hook’em or anything before leaving the field as a team).

That’s my opinion. I think it’s asinine to think the Eyes is racist. But they have a right to their feelings. As such, the players dont have to sing it or acknowledge it.

Thats fine.

But saying people are asinine because they love the Eyes and are distressed at seeing a tradition go away and be replaced by

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING 

is as dumb as thinking a silly song is racist. So dumb cancels out dumb then. Lol

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

We can all shout after a loss “that’s alright! That’s ok! You weren’t gonna beat them anyway!” As they are jogging off the field. 

So, in 1979, the University of Pennsylvania went on an improbable run to make it to the Final Four in basketball. They beat the likes of the #1 seed in their bracket, North Carolina and Syracuse.

In the Final Four game, they ran into Michigan State. State had some guy named ... Earvin Magic Johnson.

Well, Penn's run was over at halftime with the score of 50 -17. But then. In the second half, as the Spartan fans were gloating, allegedly a cheer began to come from the UPenn student section. It grew in intensity and volume. So, what was being yelled out?

That's alright! That's ok! You're gonna work for us someday!

No retort to that gentlemen.