Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

I'm actually for this in the short term, since my gas fireplace is what kept me from freezing to death for 6 straight days in February when our electrical grid shit the bed.  Oh wait, that was the Rs fault too.

I agree. I’m in the same boat and prefer gas.

But just makes me laugh at small gov and freedom

45 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Long covid (post-acute sequelae of COVID/PASC) is an interesting phenomena. We don't really know much about it. It's curious that historically there has never been much discussion around long flu, but maybe there should be. And maybe we should contrast PASC and PASI to try to really understand the issue. 

There are several different sequelae related to pediatric viral upper respiratory infections, up to and including myocarditis which can be fatal. There’s no way to bring risk in life to zero. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

There are several different sequelae related to pediatric viral upper respiratory infections, up to and including myocarditis which can be fatal. There’s no way to bring risk in life to zero. 

Haven't really been focusing our looks at pediatrics, mostly older population.  Suffice to say the incidence of potential PASC are high.  However when we do our initial looks at historical influenza cases as controls we are getting similar (if not much higher) rates of the same conditions in the controls.  We are working through a number of issues (matching on baseline factors and controlling for differential follow-up), so much to shake out, but the long covid issue is complex and there is not really a clear picture to base decision making on at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Under the law, yes. They have to renew the declaration regularly, but there is no absolute limit. I provided the law to you. You're free to read it yourself. There may be some judicially defined limits in instances where no actual emergency exists. But you're not going to get very far with the argument during a pandemic that has killed over 600,000 in the US alone. 

Now, if you ask me, the state legislature should not have delegated this extensive of authority to other entities. But that is a different question as to whether the authority exists.  

Hard for the legislature not to delegate pretty extensive powers when it only meets for basically three months every two years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

There is plenty of video evidence of masked morons bitching out non-masked people for not wearing masking.  You don't even have to go looking for it.

What's your point?  People are assholes.

Persons tend not to be...

My point was that you said that no one cares if I choose to wear a mask.  That is demonstrably not true.  Keep up, Ag.  

Also, I never claimed that no one was bitching out morons not wearing a mask, so I don't know what point you thought you were making.

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

To younger kids Covid is less dangerous than the flu. Should they have to wear masks from here on out to protect each other against the flu? Gimme a break.

The protecting grandma reason is gone. 

how about grandma anti-vaxx?

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

This state is full of the dumbest people. 

Eh. Come on man. Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Missouri, West Virginia, Ohio, FLORIDA. 

Lets be honest. This isn't a state thing. It's at best a Southern thing, but at worst just a straight up national thing. Blue states are just red states that they haven't managed to gerrymander completely yet. And New York and Hawaii. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Kids under 12 can't be vaccinated, and they tend to go to school, together.
The only protection they have is masks, and the hope that they aren't one of the unlucky ones to get this shit and have a negative outcome.  
But fuck kids and elementary schools/middle schools, right? Fuck public education altogether, I'm sure is part of the calculus, along with the general desperation of Abbott not to get primaried.   So pro-life. 

Abbots kids got vaccinated, that is all that matters. Abbot got his big payday, fuck you for wanting the same.

On 5/18/2021 at 10:22 AM, Skipper said:

Is it really an extraordinary circumstance any longer?  Maybe I'm just bitter at the moment but there are absolutely people taking advantage of the system and I have tenants that are 2 of them.  They stopped paying rent in November after being constantly late (beginning March of 20 before COVID really started).  But I couldn't evict due to COVID restrictions (hopefully ending for good on 6/30).  I FINALLY got caught up in rent literally the end of last week via the Texas Rent Relief program after wasting hours upon hours of my time navigating the layers of governmental red tape to get landlords paid the past 3 months.   Now if this was a hard working family that was truly impacted by the pandemic and doing everything they could to find income I would have some sympathy.  But his R.E. broker business apparently went to shit pre-Covid, she is a "realtor" that apparently can't (or isn't actually trying) to get listings during this booming R.E. market and they have been sitting on their ass for over a year relying on govt dollars plus a rapidly depleting trust fund.   Oh, but they have managed to pay their daughters sorority dues + Mercedes lease while not paying a dime of rent for 6+ months (I'll give you one guess where the wife's entitled ass went to public school in Dallas).   These people are educated and qualified for all manners of jobs that I guess they view as "beneath them" so they have sat on their ass and relied on the govt for over a year while maintaining appearances.  It's pathetic.    So yeah, I'm no Abbot fan but if there are thousands upon thousands of available jobs, maybe it's time we stop incentivizing governmental reliance.  The pandemic flat out isn't impacting the ability for anyone to find employment right now in Texas so I don't see the need for additional pandemic specific aid.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume all of that is true.

1. There will always be parasites on the system. Always. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have the system. I'm not against means testing the benefits somehow, but that adds to all the red tape you allude to (yes I realize that the red tape was a hassle for you, not your dead beat tenants), which effectively reduces the number of eligible people who can get the aid. This is a feature, not a bug, by the way. If the tape is so red for you, someone with (I assume since you post here) a college education, then imagine how red it is for the millions without education (who probably need the aid more). Its a trade off: more red tape, less parasites but less eligible people get the aid. Less red tape, more parasites but more eligible people get the aid. If the landlord assistance had been red tape free, there would have been less money for legitimate landlords like you who need it due to all the parasites.

2. As soon as you are able, evict their deadbeat asses.

3. For every situation like the one you describe, there are many many more where people desperately need the aid, including the moratoriums on evictions. Having a situation like yours is the price we have to pay right now for keeping numerous families from getting evicted during a pandemic.

4. Finally, if a job is not being filled and there are available workers, I'd say that a large part of that is due to the offered wages being to low. The governmental assistance is forcing employers, especially low wage paying employers to pay more. Overall, that is a good thing, I think.

I have landlord friend who are in your situation. I've had this discussion with them. I am sympathetic.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

You just have to get your knee back on the nigra's neck and then get your wimmin back in line. Profit America is great again!

White men need to be excluded from running anything bigger than a convenience store for at least ten years. A bunch of us aren't bad guys, but as a group, it's pretty fucking dismal. 

I'm dealing with a lot of race and state shame this week. At least the national GOPs have the courage to (try to) block the divisiveness of an investigation into their party's support for an insurrection. Thank goodness we'll be spared that!!!!

• Like 1

During the next really bad flu season DT fucks will rail on Aisd for having to close vomit filled schools like they had to a few years ago

Thank God schools don't have authority to have students wear a piece of cloth during the next pandemic or flu outbreak to help mitigate.

Freedumb. All for short term political gain of a few ghouls. And so fat fucks can mouthbreath unhindered.

Can't wait to gtfo. We are neutering are own ability to fight pandemics and our enemies are laughing.

28 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

During the next really bad flu season DT fucks will rail on Aisd for having to close vomit filled schools like they had to a few years ago

Thank God schools don't have authority to have students wear a piece of cloth during the next pandemic or flu outbreak to help mitigate.

Freedumb. All for short term political gain of a few ghouls. And so fat fucks can mouthbreath unhindered.

Can't wait to gtfo. We are neutering are own ability to fight pandemics and our enemies are laughing.

Oh no, the students aren't able to wear masks! Wait, they are? Well shit, that must mean you're a dumbass. Do you have to be told not to eat lead paint?

Edited by workswithseed
  • Fuck You 3

17 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Oh no, the students aren't able to wear masks! Wait, they are? Well shit, that must mean you're a dumbass. Do you have to be told not to eat lead paint?

You understand that masks primarily help everyone else, not the wearer, right? Allowing the courteous and sanitary people to help out the assholes doesn't do much to protect them from the assholes.  

Your comment is the same as saying "we will not out law theft, but you're still free to not steal from your neighbor"  - see any problems there? 

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

15 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

You understand that masks primarily help everyone else, not the wearer, right? Allowing the courteous and sanitary people to help out the assholes doesn't do much to protect them from the assholes.  

Your comment is the same as saying "we will not out law theft, but you're still free to not steal from your neighbor"  - see any problems there? 

No he doesn’t see any. Village idiots are running wild today. @workswithseed do you think public schools should be allowed to require vaccines? Why or why not?

Edited by hobbes2702

46 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

No, it's an actions have consequences. Is it fuck around and find out or not world like the meme y'all love to say or not?  Hell they're weren't stopped from just going back to online unless i missed something on that. You going to tell me they're safer with masks on at school or at home doing what they've been doing for a year? 

30 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

No, it's an actions have consequences. Is it fuck around and find out or not world like the meme y'all love to say or not?  Hell they're weren't stopped from just going back to online unless i missed something on that. You going to tell me they're safer with masks on at school or at home doing what they've been doing for a year? 

gritty am2dm GIF by AM to DM

Your fascination with gritty is weird

35 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I don't think you have any understanding of what either of the phrases "fuck around find out" or "actions have consequences" actually means. In the example of kids going to school, what action(s) are you referring to? What consequences?  

I don't think kids should be required to wear masks at this time based on the information available about this particular virus. But I also don't think schools, school districts, or other governing authorities should be precluded from requiring that kids wear masks should circumstances dictate it (e.g., another respiratory virus epidemic). 

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

Private citizens???

Y’all about to have packs of vigilante abortion hunters skulking around.

Yeah, we're going to see some Koch and Adelson-funded lawsuits against internet posters for posting pro-choice messages.

I'm not even kidding.

Just now, wildcat09 said:

Yeah, we're going to see some Koch and Adelson-funded lawsuits against internet posters for posting pro-choice messages.

I'm not even kidding.

Hotze is ready. 

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Can one of the lawyers explain how private citizens would have standing to even sue?

The argument will be that this law gives them standing. It's not common, but there are other laws that give private citizens the right to sue to enforce regulations (I think primarily in the field of environmental law). I'm pretty far from an expert in standing cases though and tend to think they're largely bullshit anyway.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm generally atheist but if I'm wrong about the afterlife, I take solace knowing there's a special place in hell for Greg Abbott and all the other monsters who call themselves the modern GOP. And for any of you clowns who support these powermad fascists, what the everlivin fuck is wrong with your brains?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Private citizens???

Y’all about to have packs of vigilante abortion hunters skulking around.

i'm suing lt dan for not properly funding sex ed. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't think you have any understanding of what either of the phrases "fuck around find out" or "actions have consequences" actually means. In the example of kids going to school, what action(s) are you referring to? What consequences?  

I don't think kids should be required to wear masks at this time based on the information available about this particular virus. But I also don't think schools, school districts, or other governing authorities should be precluded from requiring that kids wear masks should circumstances dictate it (e.g., another respiratory virus epidemic). 

Still going to school with a terrible flue pandemic like you said.

Workswithseed claimed ANTIFA was trying to burn his apt complex down last summer cause there was a literal dumpster fire next to him. Surprised he has time to post after totally watching every second of his 30 minute cartoon videos propped up by bots and the industrial fake news machine

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, StassneyHorn said:

Workswithseed claimed ANTIFA was trying to burn his apt complex down last summer cause there was a literal dumpster fire next to him. Surprised he has time to post after totally watching every second of his 30 minute cartoon videos propped up by bots and the industrial fake news machine

Did I claimed they tried?