The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

The release of these latest 12 indictments serves multiple purposes but it's worth going back to what Brisket previously said about it being smoke getting pumped into the building to see how the occupants respond. 

The fairly shocking depth and detail provided in the latest indictments, with attention here to the part about a candidate for US Congress requesting stolen info from Guccifer2.0 (Russian military intelligence) to use against the opposition, will have sent shockwaves through anyone who engaged in similar behavior in Congress.  It's also important to remember that whether or not to prosecute crimes is up to the prosecutors.  One outcome of public office holders being guilty of some crime is the offer to resign from office instead of facing prosecution.  If there are dozens of them, they might all get to walk if they agree to immediately resign and disappear from holding any future public office. 

If I understand House rules correctly, such an event involving enough individuals could conceivably affect majority rule.  The difference in the House is 43, which is a lot.  In the Senate, there is zero room for any immediate resignations.

At a minimum I expect certain individuals to not wait for Mueller to drop the hammer and will come forward now, knowing Mueller likely has them nailed cold with detailed evidence, for a chance at basic cooperation and moving on without the risk of legal expenses and jail time.  

Edited by triplehorn

4 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

The US colliding parties knew they were conspiring with someone but it’s not known the knew who, as the indictments charge so far.  

LOL.  "Hey, we knew were were fucking with the election, but we had NO IDEA it was the Russians!!!  Wowza!!!"

Stating the obvious, but the thing that the Trumpkins, Freedom caucus, Fox News party over country Venn diagram (which is closer to 3 circles on top of each other than those within them might care to admit) willfully ignore is that the Mueller investigation can be enlightening, successful and important even if it never indicts Trunp or any of his inner circle.  It’s not the fucking point.  It is meant to find out how Russia impacted the election and who knew and tried to benefit. But Trump et als behavior just screams guilty.  

Mueller is about as unimpeachable a person you could have running this.  I don’t care if he doesn’t get Trump because he will if Trump was complicit.  But making Trump ask his boss for extraditions this morning sure wasn’t on that asshole’s agenda for this Putin meeting until a day or two ago.  Let’s see how that goes with Vlad.  Ofvladmir indeed. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, deech said:

Better selling point for Republicans is not that he was too ethical but too stupid.  He's just a figure head who spews over the top talking points, not someone capable of micro targeting stolen computer data and freely given Facebook data to help him win an election. 

Dickhead dolan doesn't need to be smart enough to know the intimate details of how the collision happened; the mere fact that it is infinitesimally unlikely that he had no knowledge of any such coordination. What is more likely is that he was being fed information without details specifically for plausible deniability, but that doesn't negate the fact that he was part of a conspiracy to subvert the will of the people and the government of the United States in coordinating and colluding with the Russian government.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ScottishHorn said:

I cant wait for all the Russians to show up and stand trial

I understand you’re saying it is all for nothing. But you, sitting here right now, along with 330MM of your closest friends know with reasonably high certainty that the election was attacked, how it was attacked, to what extent it was attacked, the indivudals that did the attacking, and the foreign power that was directing it all.  Is that not valuable?  Of all the acts of our government in the last few years, it’s been one of the more educational for me.  

11 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I understand you’re saying it is all for nothing. But you, sitting here right now, along with 330MM of your closest friends know with reasonably high certainty that the election was attacked, how it was attacked, to what extent it was attacked, the indivudals that did the attacking, and the foreign power that was directing it all.  Is that not valuable?  Of all the acts of our government in the last few years, it’s been one of the more educational for me.  

Scottish has shown that he only values facts that will discredit the other team.  Facts that discredit his team are bad and must be attacked or ignored.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Dickhead dolan doesn't need to be smart enough to know the intimate details of how the collision happened; the mere fact that it is infinitesimally unlikely that he had no knowledge of any such coordination. What is more likely is that he was being fed information without details specifically for plausible deniability, but that doesn't negate the fact that he was part of a conspiracy to subvert the will of the people and the government of the United States in coordinating and colluding with the Russian government.

This.  I can easily imagine him not only accepting the russian help, but requesting it.  After that he kept his distance, and let his minions do the actual footwork. 

The next question though is was he coached?  Or was it coincidence that his style of politicking was so very close to Putin's that he didn't need much prompting. 

15 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

The next question though is was he coached?  Or was it coincidence that his style of politicking was so very close to Putin's that he didn't need much prompting

It would be remarkable if he wasn’t coached.  There are significant circumstantial facts to indicate that he was coached and much of his campaign was scripted.

From Trump’s own deleted tweets to Russian accounts prior to the election to the operational workings of Cambridge Analytica.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

12 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

This.  I can easily imagine him not only accepting the russian help, but requesting it.  After that he kept his distance, and let his minions do the actual footwork. 

The next question though is was he coached?  Or was it coincidence that his style of politicking was so very close to Putin's that he didn't need much prompting. 

His annual performance review is tomorrow. Why else do you think he wants a one-on-one session with putin?

2 minutes ago, ScottishHorn said:

I can't believe I'm getting dislikes for the Russians to stand trial. 

You are getting dislikes for the moronic proposition that any actual Russians, currently residing within Russia...would willingly be sent to the US with the blessings of Russia for a trial.

You're getting dislikes for the stupid implication that the indictments are worthless because no Russian will be extradited to stand trial.  Nobody expects them to stand trial.  That's not the point, but as with points, look way up high.  It's up there.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You are getting dislikes for the moronic proposition that any actual Russians, currently residing within Russia...would willingly be sent to the US with the blessings of Russia for a trial.

Maybe they're not Russians by birth, but Lithuanians.... raised by their paternal grandfathers.

23 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Long analysis of a longer indictment. Kinda viral on FB now...Shaggy Law Brigade: is this a fair assessment?

A reasonably accurate read of the Indictment, yes.  The conclusions reached by the author are a little breathless, particularly as regards connection to the Trump campaign and the "massive" conspiracy. 

It is rather hard to believe that units of the GRU were doing this without the knowledge and complicity/encouragement/direct order of the Russian government, but that doesn't make it "massive."  For our purposes, even though it may have involved several individual actors, Russia and/or the GRU may be regarded as a single actor.

There are two potential connections to Trump:  Stone and the congressman, but the evidence isn't there (not that it doesn't exist) to evaluate whether and how any information, not published by wikileaks, was used by Trumpkins.  Some smoke, no fire as relates to Trumpy bear.

People seem to love this word "conspiracy" without really understanding its meaning.

Also worth noting that Trump met with Butina weeks after he announced his campaign and talked about ending sanctions. 

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/03/trump-spoke-to-a-russian-activist-about-ending-sanctions-just-weeks-after-launching-his-campaign/

I'm no fan of motherjones so here's the primary source of the info

And this is a pretty good timeline of events involving Butina

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/03/trump-russia-nra-connection-maria-butina-alexander-torshin-guns/

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oof.  I was kinda hoping for a Scarlett Johansson meets Jennifer Lawrence kind of vibe.

Nah, the hot ones are assigned to piss on Trump. The butter faces are assigned to infiltrate the NRA.  Still, she may be the hottest woman at NRA events.  She's certainly the only one under 250 pounds.

45 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Also interesting that the indictment was unsealed after her arrest. 

This isn't an indictment.  The document itself is an affidavit in support of a complaint, which is also a document charging a criminal offense.  The difference between a complaint and an indictment is that an indictment has been returned by a grand jury.

Complaints are usually filed to support an arrest warrant on the crime charged, with an indictment to follow later.  It's usually done when there isn't time to secure an indictment and an immediate arrest is desireable, as in the person in question is about to leave the country.  Here is the complaint, a very unimpressive document on its own.

Also, this does not appear to have issued from the Office of the Special Counsel, ie Mueller, but rather from the Counterintelligence Division of the FBI and the DC USA.

Edited by TwiceHorn