IDEA: Surly Election Night Livestream/Podcast

immamac

Do we do this or not?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do an election night podcast/stream

I predict the call-in would quickly devolve into a Surly version of the Festivus Airing of the Grievances.   

“Trump is down substantially in Pennsylvania and I got a lotta problems with you people.”   

it’s only a matter of time before Immortal challenges someone to feats of strength.  

Edited by Lobo

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

I'd prefer a text stream/chryron so I can still hear the regular news coverage.  But then I remembered how half-in-the-bag most surly posters are gonna be (all due respect to our sober members), and thought it would be funny to hear their drunken rants.  Maybe start with text/chryon and switch to audio later in the night?  

I actually didn't know that was an actual saying, I just thought it was a name for this.

How are you so old and know so few phrases of import?  

i had the colorful language of a drunken sailor by the time was 17.   Probably because my father, his father, and his father before him were Navy men.  And we’re half in the bag.  

Edited by Lobo

4 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I need a @workswithseed segment and I'd be a paying customer. 

In all reality, as much fun as that would be, iyd need some to have back and forth with, cause I don't think I could talk endlessly by myself. Also if it goes tits up for me during the stream, y'all can point and laugh at me, while hopefully giving this great site some revenue.

26 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

In all reality, as much fun as that would be, iyd need some to have back and forth with, cause I don't think I could talk endlessly by myself. Also if it goes tits up for me during the stream, y'all can point and laugh at me, while hopefully giving this great site some revenue.

I could go on and we could discuss where to eat in Denton. Sabrocita for the win.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

It would be back and forth. 

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

We can get @cactusflinthead in on this if we're talking about Denton restaurants. I was a always partial to Pedro's, but they're gone now.

I've been going to La Mexicana the last couple of times. 

I'm probably going straight to the house and won't move until Ohio gets called. Hell, it might not make a difference this time. But, I'm not taking any chances.

I have my monthly visit the next day at the high maintenance office building chasing another list courtesy of Dr. Moon. 

He sends me on a hunt for some obscure product every damn time. This one I had to get shipped in from God knows where. There wasn't any of it in the state.

I got it again old man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Great idea.

Must read for Election Night Coverage - the looming specter of the Red Mirage (Trump leading on election night) and Blue Coup (Biden regaining the lead once mail-in ballots are tallied): https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-10-13/get-ready-for-a-strange-election-nigh

It is absolutely imperative that every news outlet prepare viewers for the reality that unprecedented partisan polarization of early/EDay votes makes lopsided batches of results *expected,* not suspicious, on 11/3.

Those who have been following this topic know to expect a “red mirage” as last-minute absentee-ballot voters, typically younger and therefore more likely to support Democrats, are the last to have their votes counted, with the process potentially stretching for days or even weeks after Election Day. There’s also some expectation that states where early and absentee votes are the first to be counted will show a big early lead for former Vice President Joe Biden until in-person Election Day votes start getting tallied. But those are only general patterns, and some states may differ. The safe thing to say is that we may see some wild swings as votes are counted, and that’s just an artifact of the very different voting methods different groups are using.

If Trump is leading on election day, Biden should close the distance with mail in ballots of there next few days/weeks. That will lead Trump supporters to call Biden's victory a - Blue Coup. 

3 hours ago, workswithseed said:

I'll go on and talk board games with you bro, we can be the intermission in between the real hosts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

To be clear I'm hosting the whole thing and will make the announcements. The posters that join will dial in or video call in. 

I'll be reading their post histories back to them and being the live interaction from the thread. 

So while we're watching Election Night results, your brilliant idea is to broadcast some of our previous profanity and insult-laden political posting histories while we're drinking, sitting next to our spouses watching poll results, and brimming in anger and frustration at the other side?  

Great fucking idea.  While we're at it...throw up pics of the shit we've posted on "I'd Pee in Her Butt."  This is an "Absolute Can't Miss."  

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Except her accent is probably legit and not contrived and overdone.

Rural south is not Urban south. Rural south Is not Rural Texas. Ms. Garner is a fine actor from the Bronx. The accent works because of the anxiety she puts into her tone. 

Maybe your ears are picking up a Southern Illinois accent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJuJkZ_dUQw

9 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Rural south is not Urban south. Rural south Is not Rural Texas. Ms. Garner is a fine actor from the Bronx. The accent works because of the anxiety she puts into her tone. 

Maybe your ears are picking up a Southern Illinois accent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJuJkZ_dUQw

Didn't know that there was such a thing.

9 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Thanks. Not sure what any of that has to do with my comment. The girl in the video posted is much more natural with a more believable affect. 

Garner overdoes it. Which is fine, it's TV and she's a good actress. Good actors/actresses don't always nail accents. Or they're coached to do it in a certain way for TV/Film rather than in a believable manner to pander to native speakers.

On 10/29/2020 at 2:50 AM, washparkhorn said:

Yeah, she's from Southern Illinois but people think she's from Kentucky.  The reason her Southern Illinois accent sounds similar to Kentucky is because she lives an hour from Kentucky.  

That woman in that video lives 350 miles from Chicago.  I'm guessing Texas women from Tyler, TX sound a little different Rockport, TX.  

Southern Illinois is definitely different from Chicago, just like southern Wisconsin doesn't sound like northern Wisconsin and the UP. When we lived up north and then moved back south I had to lose the northern traces that I'd picked up (mimic's ear). We lived in a town of < 25,000 people and it was a dead giveaway that we 'weren't from around here.' That was funny because I was, I just had been gone for awhile. My late father gave me a hard time because I had picked up the habit of saying soda. He always called it Coke. Didn't matter what it was, if it was a sodapop, then it was called a Coke.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, she's from Southern Illinois but people think she's from Kentucky.  The reason her Southern Illinois accent sounds similar to Kentucky is because she lives an hour from Kentucky.  

That woman in that video lives 350 miles from Chicago.  I'm guessing Texas women from Tyler, TX sound a little different Rockport, TX.  

The added ingredient I suspect is the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers in Southern Illinois. It is different there. Everyone should see Cairo, Illinois once in their lives. It's a cold splash of water.