Time change

Nice Guy Eddie

45 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

i thought Congress did away with the time change shenanigans with 438-0 vote.  Explain.

I did too, and I was disappointed because I thought the permanent time was the spring-forward one. I would have preferred the fall-back one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

The morning of the forgotten coffee maker clock

LOL - I remember having to change about 15 clocks when time change hit, and then cell phones and the internet happened. And I am down to the microwave, the oven, and my wifes car. Everything else syncs up - the DVR, the computer, cell phones (which among other things replaced the alarm clock), we got rid of a couple of wall clocks, answering machines, etc.

I am team #daylight savings, don't mind getting up and driving to work in the dark (in the winter) but I hate leaving work in the dark. And the later it is light is okay with me - more time to play golf, mow my lawn, work in the garden, be at the beach, sitting on the deck grilling & drinking beer. And actually I am okay with changing times, as I've done it most of my life and seems like I've survived. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

Yea, they need to get rid of this shit and go back to permanent standard time.  Ain't nobody who needs it to be sunlight out until 9-10 at night.  With Standard Time even in farther south states like Texas you still would have daylight until after 8pm in mid summer and that's plenty.  One of the stupider things we do....we don't create or save daylight, we just fuck with clocks, sleep cycles (not only with the change but with the sun being out too late) and make people grumpy and thrown off.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 8

11 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Working a project between NZ, Aus and Kenya. FML. Can we stop this shit already?

every zoom this morning with europe was fubar - the lost time/cost for multinationals is incalculable

the same thing will happen thist afternoon when apac comes online their tuesday morning - nothing will match up - every calendar with international and domestic video meetings has to be recalibrated manually with the net result of every meeting being cut in half, with the remaining half of that meeting time trying to repair other calendar items

it's insane

the english-speaking countries (UKUSA = +aus +can +nz) need to get together and align this shit

jump 15 minutes every week for 4 weeks (APRIL!) and the rest of the world will get in line

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

And I am in favor of sunlight after work. Pick one.

Yup I prefer DST but either way my vote is for sticking to one or the other and not ever changing again.

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't really care if standard or dst (prefer standard but whatever), just stop with this change nonsense. I could barely get up this morning, could barely get the kids up, my kindergartner was a complete fucking nightmare, and I dropped them off at school in the dark. Fuck this shit. Make up your goddamned minds and stick with it for fucks sake. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yup I prefer DST but either way my vote is for sticking to one or the other and not ever changing again.

#TeamDST

Although, I really don't get how 1 hour change twice a year fucks people's inner clocks up so much.  Maybe it's b/c I don't do the church thing but it's never affected my energy level or sleep habits.  In short, other than the Sunday morning it happens, it don't make a shit. 

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

#TeamDST

Although, I really don't get how 1 hour change twice a year fucks people's inner clocks up so much.  Maybe it's b/c I don't do the church thing but it's never affected my energy level or sleep habits.  In short, other than the Sunday morning it happens, it don't make a shit. 

If you have or had kids and it wasn't an issue, you are very fortunate. Getting young kids to bed an hour earlier sucks because their body clocks are off, and getting them up an hour earlier raises the same problem. Not to mention it's pitch black outside and feels like the middle of the goddamned night. My own body clock is off and it sucks. If even 15% of the country is affected (I suspect its way higher), why not just change it? I see zero policy benefits of changing the clock twice a year. It made little sense when it was enacted, but zero sense now. Why do we need sunlight til 9:45 pm in july?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

If you have or had kids and it wasn't an issue, you are very fortunate. Getting young kids to bed an hour earlier sucks because their body clocks are off, and getting them up an hour earlier raises the same problem. Not to mention it's pitch black outside and feels like the middle of the goddamned night. My own body clock is off and it sucks. If even 15% of the country is affected (I suspect its way higher), why not just change it? I see zero policy benefits of changing the clock twice a year. It made little sense when it was enacted, but zero sense now. Why do we need sunlight til 9:45 pm in july?

I never had kids but I was one once and I don't recall it affecting me then, either (and my folks used to drag my ass to church every Sunday).  I get up between 4:30 and 5:00 am every day, so it's always dark.  As a motorcycle rider I love having 3-4 hours of daylight after work.  There's nothing I despise more than working until dark.  It's depressing as fuck and sucks ass. 

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Strap them kids in, give them a little bit of vodka in a cherry coke. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I used to talk mad shit about the dorks that complained at work about losing/gaining an hour. "Who gives a fuck?", I would ask the losers.  Well, I guess fun time's over for me. I felt shitty yesterday and again today, haven't slept well. I can't explain it. I have become that which I most despise. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

We started transitioning the kids to the new time the day before, half an hour isn’t bad. I’m playing outside before dinner right now at near 6, love it.

this

when ever flying transoceanic i always do a crash program starting 3 days out to get up at 2am no matter which direction i'm flying

i reset the clocks last week and started abiding by them - set your phone and dont hit snooze

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Armybrat avoids all of these headaches by sticking with his preferred method of timekeeping, his trusty sundial.

The  two hotels in last 6 days I stayed at were ready for Spring forward…i.e. they never fell back.

Edited by slorch

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Hate said:

Screw standard time. That is a bunch of bullshit. Going to work and then coming home in the dark SUCKS. 

You do understand that if you go with DST year round it isn't getting light mid November to early February until sometime close to or after 8am and that's in Texas.  If you lived up north add 30-60 minutes depending on your particular location regarding time zone lines.  

The days are already longer in the summer...much longer, tilt of the earth and all.  We don't need to augment an already long day.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

You do understand that if you go with DST year round it isn't getting light mid November to early February until sometime close to or after 8am and that's in Texas.  If you lived up north add 30-60 minutes depending on your particular location regarding time zone lines.  

The days are already longer in the summer...much longer, tilt of the earth and all.  We don't need to augment an already long day.

As posted up thread, we tried DST year round and it was a failure. 

5 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m the only person in America who was looking forward to the time change. I spent the last week of February in Europe and I’m still not right. At least now when I wake up at 4:30 it’s 5:30.

high quality GIF

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

This. 

we just need to start DST later in the spring. 

A lot of people do not realize how close to our monkey ancestors we are when it comes to daylight.  Anyone who has lived through a multi day power outage, and starts going to bed at dark knows what I mean. 

Humans are not physically or mentally equipped to handle rapid time zone changes.   And that’s functionally what we all just experienced.

Edited by Bateshorn

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

If you have or had kids and it wasn't an issue, you are very fortunate. Getting young kids to bed an hour earlier sucks because their body clocks are off, and getting them up an hour earlier raises the same problem.

preach GIF by Shalita Grant

11 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Fun fact: in 2005, Congress extended DST by 4 weeks.  For the last two ish decades it's started 3 weeks earlier in the spring and a week later in the fall. 

Also what got us out of synch with Europe.

#teamstatusquo

I don’t like getting off work in December and it’s already dark at 5:30 pm. It’s depressing.

Of course if we kept permanent DST, it would be dark in the morning most of the winter. I would personally prefer that as the lesser of 2 evils, because the evening is more useful to be outdoors, and the short window of daylight before work seems wasted to me.

Maybe we should universally agree that typical 8-5 type jobs become 8-4 schedules during the Nov-March standard time period. That final hour of work can’t be more important than mental and physical health of employees.

• Hook 'Em 2