the trump election lawsuit thread of dominance

henrygandorf

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

"But objecting to certified electoral votes won’t give him a second term—it will only embolden those Democrats who want to erode further our system of constitutional government."

Yep, it's definitely the Democrats trying to erode constitutional government here. Fuck you.

What utter nonsense.

So...a lawsuit for publishing a “settlement communication” (it’s not, but let’s pretend it is).

I’d like to see a citation to the statute or rule or anything that makes a settlement communication confidential as a matter of law, including creating a civil right of action against the party publishing the communication.

I’ll wait.....

What’s that? They’ll cite rule 408? Cool. That rule only makes settlement offers inadmissible in court. And even then, only for some purposes - they aren’t completely inadmissible. So, in summary, shockingly, team Trump have no fucking idea what they’re doing, and this suit is absolutely 100% sanctionable.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

"But objecting to certified electoral votes won’t give him a second term—it will only embolden those Democrats who want to erode further our system of constitutional government."

Yep, it's definitely the Democrats trying to erode constitutional government here. Fuck you.

complete fucking arkansas asshat 

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The Secret Service being well-known for their criminal investigative prowess  . . . . 🙄

The SS is not bad at their mandate of investigating financial crimes and stuff with a nexus to finance.  Ordinarily espionage would be an issue for the FBI but I have to plead ignorance and say SS might take the lead if it was alleged to have been committed via wiretapping the President. 

More likely though this is fanfic and they are saying SS because in MAGA Cinematic Universe the FBI is all Deep State.

csb/I have a close relative who had identity stolen and there was a connection to a pretty significant criminal operation, they were impressed with the SS agent assigned to the case and it ended up with prison sentences. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 1

I had a friend whose brother was applying to be a SS agent.  It wasn’t a really good friend, and it was his older brother who I probably met twice.  One day I got a knock on my door, and it was a SS agent wanting to ask me a few questions about a guy I had met twice.  I answered the questions to the best of my ability, but the lasting impression I was left with was that if they are knocking on my door they are some thorough mf’ers.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The timing of Cotton's announcement seems convenient.  I wonder if the events of today forced him to take this principled (lulz) stand.

Yep, I expect more of those who were just re-elected are thinking the same thing, even if they don't say it outloud.  Vote to certify, and 6 years from all will be forgotten.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Somebody has a mask for Wednesday.

They may gag my mouth but I will speaketh . . . soeth sayest samantha

Rep. Greene has that I am gonna throw down look in her mad eyes. Spitting mad.

democracy is becoming a spectator sport

Eq0uitXWMAE6lKx?format=jpg&name=small

(hoisted from the tweet)

Edited by washparkhorn

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep, I expect more of those who were just re-elected are thinking the same thing, even if they don't say it outloud.  Vote to certify, and 6 years from all will be forgotten.

Cornyn will forget to show up for the vote then make an announcement around Valentine's Day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Because of Lindsey Graham, the Georgia SOS decided to record Trump:

https://www.politico.com/playbook

The story of the extraordinary call of a president pushing a top election official to rig the Georgia results was broken by the superb reporting of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Greg Bluestein and the Washington Post’s Amy Gardner, but the backstory is almost as interesting.

It started on Saturday when Trump and his team reached out to talk to Raffensperger, who, according to an adviser, felt he would be unethically pressured by the president. Raffensperger had been here before: In November he accused Trump ally and South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham of improperly exhorting him to meddle in the election to help Trump win Georgia. Graham later denied it.

So why not record the call with the president, Raffensperger’s advisers thought, if nothing else for fact-checking purposes. “This is a man who has a history of reinventing history as it occurs,” one of them told Playbook. “So if he’s going to try to dispute anything on the call, it’s nice to have something like this, hard evidence, to dispute whatever he’s claiming about the secretary. Lindsey Graham asked us to throw out legally cast ballots. So yeah, after that call, we decided maybe we should do this.”

The call took place Saturday afternoon. “Mr. President,” announced Mark Meadows, the White House chief of staff, at the top of the call, “everyone is on the line.” Little did he know. Trump made his ask and did most of the talking for the next hour, trafficking in the same conspiracy theories about election fraud that no court or criminal investigator has found credible. At the end of the call, Trump complains, “What a schmuck I was.”

Raffensperger’s team kept quiet about the call and the recording and waited. The president made the next move, claiming on Sunday morning via Twitter that Raffensperger was “unwilling, or unable, to answer” questions about his baseless claims of widespread voter fraud. “Respectfully, President Trump: What you're saying is not true,” Raffensperger replied at 10:27 a.m. “The truth will come out.” It wasn’t an empty promise.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I had a friend whose brother was applying to be a SS agent.  It wasn’t a really good friend, and it was his older brother who I probably met twice.  One day I got a knock on my door, and it was a SS agent wanting to ask me a few questions about a guy I had met twice.  I answered the questions to the best of my ability, but the lasting impression I was left with was that if they are knocking on my door they are some thorough mf’ers.

That’s pretty standard fare for certain clearances. Your grade school teachers can get interviewed if the investigator has any questions with no other sources to go through. 

4 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Between Lin Wood and Herschel Walker, it feels like we're spending a lot of time on this page looking at the twitter feeds of people with brain injuries.  I can't decide if we should make fun of them or not.

I don’t want to stop making fun of Sooners and Aggys, so let’s not use this litmus test.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Between Lin Wood and Herschel Walker, it feels like we're spending a lot of time on this page looking at the twitter feeds of people with brain injuries.  I can't decide if we should make fun of them or not.

We post on surly, so....

Democratic Debate GIF by GIPHY News - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

This is my favorite local reporter. He does a pretty good job being unbiased.

Funny how Chip Roy said the reps from states being contested by Trump shouldn’t be sworn in. Zing!

https://jamiedupree.substack.com/p/117th-congress-convenes-with-eye

TRUMP STILL SENDING NOMINATIONS. A day after dozens of his nominations expired at the end of the 116th Congress, President Trump on Sunday sent 30 new nominations to the Senate - for everything from Homeland Security Secretary to federal judges, boards, and even for the post of Ambassador to the Bahamas. One might guess the chances of a Trump Cabinet pick or an Ambassador getting confirmed by the Senate right now would be less than zero.

It's almost like he doesn't know how the government works.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

they're party favors to be handed out.  someone can imply they're super important now because they were nominated to be an ambassador.  that sort of shit.

So how does that help the dotard?  That's all that matters to him, after all.

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So how does that help the dotard?  That's all that matters to him, after all.

Psh, you think his sweet Super PAC is getting a donation on January 21st from Scrooge McDuck if McDuck isn't at least nominated?