the trump election lawsuit thread of dominance

henrygandorf

Just now, DigDug said:

That is EXACTLY the sort of answer that first year law student Brisketexan would have given in a Monday class after a weekend of studying the bottom of multiple beer pitchers VERY hard (I was a dedicated student).  But again, first year.  And drunk.  And still on par with the legal skills of Rudy.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Biden would still be up to 290 without Michigan. 

Yeah, but the same process is going to play out in other states (I assume). It is very concerning. I agree that there has to be a mandamus process, and it sounds like it needs to be initiated yesterday.  

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Foosters said:

But the Dems want me to say Latinx!! They leave me no choice. For shame Dems!

so what does this mean for Michigan? does Biden win MI w/o Wayne County? Biden still wins presidency without MI's 16 EVs...but what about all the other races in that county, or statewide? 

disenfranchising EVERYONE'S votes in that county...wow.

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I never want to hear any of you lawyers bitch about it being difficult to pass the bar

There's always those few that make you shake your head. I worked with a woman who knew NOTHING about the law. She'd been a criminal defense attorney for like 6 years and didn't know basic terminology. But get this. She didn't understand case law. Like did not know what it was. Where you found it, how you are supposed to use it, precedent, etc.

It happened after she asked me yet again for some advice on an issue. I told her to find some case law on it. I could tell, despite her agreement, that she had no idea what I was talking about. I asked her specifically "Do you know what case law is?" She said "Yes, I know what it is. I just have no idea where we are supposed to find it or when to know to use it."

This woman has conducted multiple solo jury trials. I guess when judges ask her if she has a case on point, she always says "no."

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

There's always those few that make you shake your head. I worked with a woman who knew NOTHING about the law. She'd been a criminal defense attorney for like 6 years and didn't know basic terminology. But get this. She didn't understand case law. Like did not know what it was. Where you found it, how you are supposed to use it, precedent, etc.

It happened after she asked me yet again for some advice on an issue. I told her to find some case law on it. I could tell, despite her agreement, that she had no idea what I was talking about. I asked her specifically "Do you know what case law is?" She said "Yes, I know what it is. I just have no idea where we are supposed to find it or when to know to use it."

This woman has conducted multiple solo jury trials. I guess when judges ask her if she has a case on point, she always says "no."

TAMU Law? 

I don't know how that's even possible. 

Just now, Foosters said:

My eye-opening moment was as a summer clerk.  Partner handed me the opponent's just-filed appellant's brief, and told me to review and work up our suggested responsive arguments.  After 30 minutes, I knocked on his door and said "So, I have a question."  "Yes?"  "This guy....he's a lawyer?"  He cracked up -- "Brisket, there are a LOT of terrible lawyers out there." I responded "well, this guy is definitely one of them."  Truly, we could never even tell what his appellate points were.  And he had a bar card.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Hookah Horns said:

TAMU Law? 

I don't know how that's even possible. 

No, I think a T3 in California. Before I arrived at that branch, a colleague took me to lunch with the express purpose of warning me about her. Called her the worst attorney he's ever seen in his 3 decades of practice. Told me to watch out bc she'd throw you under the bus too. I assumed he was exaggerating. Nope. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Keep in mind they've probably never had this many absentee/mail ballots in the past either due to the pandemic and we are talking about Detroit. 

It appears if this vote holds it goes straight to the Secretary of State's office:

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I can't.  It worries me too.  I suspect that there is some mandamus process to require the board to certify the results, but I don't know.

Oh shit, nevermind.  I confused that Nevada suit with the Michigan disagreement.  Fuck me.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

IIRC Wayne county has another week to certify before it goes to the Sec of State's office. 

Keep in mind they've probably never had this many absentee/mail ballots in the past either due to the pandemic and we are talking about Detroit. 

So they have a week to do whatever it is they need to do in order to make the R's happy.