Sweet Jawja Special Elections

Zonahorn

34 minutes ago, F250 said:

This reminds me of an interaction I had with a family that were from Ohio and experiencing their first Texas summer. It was late June and I was holding daily Little League All Star baseball practice.

The Mom and Dad to me one late afternoon practice...

spacer.png

Mad dogs and Englishmen Texans.

Edited by RDCanecutter

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Off topic, but was reading a HILARIOUS first-hand experience of a Californian who moved to Austin and was like "holy shit, this actually sucks" and moved back.

TLDR version:

• Energy and water costs for their 4000 sq feet home were insane compared to California energy costs (they mention doubling their home size, so yes, energy costs go up + you run your AC 24/7 for like 8 months of the year) 
  • Things like pool maintenance, landscaping, etc. cost too much
  • No good public lands within driving distance and nowhere to go - no rafting or mountains that's not a 7+ hour drive
  • Austin drivers suck
  • Not very friendly towards Californians (no wai!!!)
  • It's too hot and/or rains too much - flooding, bugs and sweating
  • One time on a Saturday, they couldn't get into Enchanted Rock, so it was the worst experience EVER. 

hell, you dont need to be from California for that complaint. I have every summer for the last 46 years.

:::

and I so enjoy the weather this time of year in Texas - feels like a California summer out right now.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 3

48 minutes ago, Js1 said:

GOP needs:

• To win 60+% of the vote in person, based on the modeled Early Vote being upwards of D+9-11
  • And needs 1 million+ Republican voters to turn out in person (which is more than Election Day turnout for November was)

We’re doing the model thing again?  JFC.

21 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

We’re doing the model thing again?  JFC.

We have the demographics of the early vote + exit polling from literally 2 months ago to tell us.  It's not like we are working with outdated data from 2016 or 2018.  

• Like 2

Well looking at this last election, it would appear Texas is getting redder. I have no idea how so many politicians I can't stand all seem to represent Texas. My theory, and hope, is we are sending all of our Reds to Texas to help your Reds fight the good fight on abortion, guns, god, and guns. Another wave of Devin Nunes voters incoming! 

5 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Well looking at this last election, it would appear Texas is getting redder. I have no idea how so many politicians I can't stand all seem to represent Texas. My theory, and hope, is we are sending all of our Reds to Texas to help your Reds fight the good fight on abortion, guns, god, and guns. Another wave of Devin Nunes voters incoming! 

I think that there’s a chance this is happening. It makes sense anecdotally. I’d want to see data on it before I’d believe it at all. 

Look, Georgia senators may take advantage of a global pandemic for an easy payday; they might use racial stereotypes and racist tropes in their campaign ads; they might seek to overthrow the government; but they don’t sexually harass preteens waiting to get their ears pierced at Claire’s, so keep the Bama politics in the metoo thread.

The bit about the public lands has an element of truth. California did that pretty damn well, plus they've got some National park too.
Texas is kind of the dividing line between states with massive amounts of public lands out west and those states that are primarily privately owned from Texas to the east. I don't know the numbers, but I would doubt that any state west of Texas has less public land acreage than Texas total, not by percentage, despite our massive size. As a Texan who loves the outdoors, it's pretty fucking depressing. Especially as a large portion of that public land is pine forest in the east of the state, which, while important, is not the greatest place to visit, particularly given the surrounding towns.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Anybody got any good polling numbers?  Political fatigue has resulted in me paying less attention to this than I should.

It’s all basically 50/50. Generally Warnock is +1-2 and Ossoff is like tied or +1. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

That’s 60% of total 2020 turnout. For a runoff. It’s insane, if another 800k to 1 million votes are expected  

The last runoff after a general election was 2008. Total Turnout was 54% 

• Hook 'Em 1

One thing I noticed looking at RCP today is that Warnock REALLY underperformed his polling numbers back in November. I'm curious how he actually does tomorrow considering how badly the pollsters missed his support. Pollsters got support for Perdue, Ossoff, Loeffler, and Collins almost dead on with Perdue slightly out-performing his polling (+3 more than the RCP average). 

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

One thing I noticed looking at RCP today is that Warnock REALLY underperformed his polling numbers back in November. I'm curious how he actually does tomorrow considering how badly the pollsters missed his support. Pollsters got support for Perdue, Ossoff, Loeffler, and Collins almost dead on with Perdue slightly out-performing his polling (+3 more than the RCP average). 

That race had like 20 freaking candidates. So many that no major pollster got Deborah Jackson getting 6%. She wasn’t even listed on RCP’s average in the top 5. 

The fact that this election is even in question says all you need to know.

We are a fucking moronic country full of fucking conservative flag waving pretend-Christian morons who do not fucking deserve to draw their next fucking breath. Oh. My. God.

We'd have been better off never coming down from the fucking trees. Evolution was a mistake.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

9 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

The fact that this election is even in question says all you need to know.

We are a fucking moronic country full of fucking conservative flag waving pretend-Christian morons who do not fucking deserve to draw their next fucking breath. Oh. My. God.

We'd have been better off never coming down from the fucking trees. Evolution was a mistake.

Brisket?

• Haha 1

Just now, Buzzrock said:

He’s not as good at it as Brisket is.

That's because my ennui and despair are legitimate, as opposed to a fucking motif.

I'm depressed as shit today, because the best that can happen is people in Georgia can say, "You know what? Stupidity is not smart."

I'm supposed to be HAPPY about that?

8 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Some days it's hard to get out of the gutter. Days when the fate of the free world rests on fucking GEORGIA are like that.

They did narrowly vote for Biden over Trump while Trump won Texas pretty comfortably. Georgia is less insane than we are so we've got our own work cut out for us.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

The fact that your happiness is determined by who does and does not win elections tells me all I need to know. I hope you find some happiness somewhere else.

Some of us actually care about what happens to our fellow Americans. Imagine that.

• Hook 'Em 4

There’s people who have been out of work and 100% need those stimulus checks to get by and you think he’s virtue signaling because he said he cares about other people. Get a grip. If there was ever a time a person’s happiness is at stake in an election, it’s this one. But replace happiness with livelihood and it makes it more appropriate.

Virtue signaling cannot mean “this person cares about something I don’t.” Otherwise it will get added to the long list of ignored, woe is me, conservative grievances like “job-creator” and every “ism” that gets thrown out when it disagrees with your ideology.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

The fact that your happiness is determined by who does and does not win elections tells me all I need to know. I hope you find some happiness somewhere else.

Do you have a disabled child whose entire fucking future depends on whether or not people are willing to give him a chance to contribute?

If not.... FUCK YOU.

• Hook 'Em 2