COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

3 hours ago, fluff said:

I got mine, would be interested in comparing numbers with anyone else that got tested..

My work offered free testing so I got tested for a few months multiples times per week . & somehow never tested positive. I got an antibody test as well & had antibodies though. Got the JJ afterwards when it was my place in line. 

On 7/30/2021 at 9:37 AM, Lobo said:

I hope there's a video of him choking out, pleading to God.  Feeling his own body drowning him from the inside and realizing he was vilifying the wrong people all along.  People on their deathbed, will always have regrets.  It's the curse of our species.  I should have eaten better, worked less, been more mindful, etc.---it's naturally normal and they shall pass on in peace to the other side.  But it's in that instant, that tiny glimpse, where you see them realize it was just the one thing.  One moment that they can't have back.  This one innocuous decision they made that brought them directly to their painful end.  Cursing science, refusing help, and embracing stupidity---when their gasps for redemption are as desperate as their gasps for oxygen.  That's when somebody should be there to put a mypillow over the fucker's face to stop the annoying percolating sound.  The shit spewed from people like him killed way more of us than should have happened.  May God be with you Phil Valentine because nobody on this Earth is. 

He's dead.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Earl Haffler said:

He's dead.

Good.  I'm tired of pretending that everybody's death is an equal tragedy.  It's not.  That's not how the universe works.  He dragged down many, many people before their time.  Their only sin being...they trusted him.  

My giveafuck-ometer doesn't budge for people letting public figures determine real life personal choices.

Yeah, I follow sports and have always had sports heroes, yes even now, at least players/ coaches that I admire; but wholly fuck beyond the arena and things like effort/ teamwork/ whatever; I cannot recall a decision I made in life because of one of em.  The chance of it happening because of a politician or public figure related to politics is even lower.

26 minutes ago, slorch said:

My giveafuck-ometer doesn't budge for people letting public figures determine real life personal choices.

Yeah, I follow sports and have always had sports heroes, yes even now, at least players/ coaches that I admire; but wholly fuck beyond the arena and things like effort/ teamwork/ whatever; I cannot recall a decision I made in life because of one of em.  The chance of it happening because of a politician or public figure related to politics is even lower.

Then I envy you Slorch, 'cause you seen things that I never will.

From celebrity to coach, politician to police, athlete to administrator, preacher to pastor...almost every Texan I know lives their lives according to some edict from some other person they hold in high regard.  And now we see them doing it at their own peril.  

Every person basing their health on Phil Valentine, or Tucker Carlson, every anti-vaccine personality with a pulpit or antenna---let them know true suffering and let the take their flock with them.  Fuck the Doomed.  Jesus sent you mitigation, a vaccine, and a mantra to care for your neighbor.  You don't wanna listen?  Tell him yourself.  

Me?  I take the Jerry to George approach.  I see what other people are doing.  And then I do the opposite.  

Edited by Lobo

Well these kids probably won't be getting Covid at school this week because all smart people indicate that it's a hoax:

But it's cool because the spear gun tip was coated in horse paste and HCQ.  

My hand to Christ, I don't know how some of you sleep at night

Edited by Lobo

On 8/21/2021 at 11:08 AM, Brisketexan said:

Man, we can dream I guess…

Actually, I understand the story is that all of us vaxxed people “will be dead within a year.” Guess the vaccine’s gonna make our heads explode or something.

vvASL2.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fluff said:

The Moderna Booster shot seems to hit me as hard as the 2nd, if not harder. Hopefully back to 100% in the morning.

Both my parents felt really tired after their 3rd and my dad had a low grade fever.  Neither had a reaction from their 2nd one.

1 hour ago, fluff said:

The Moderna Booster shot seems to hit me as hard as the 2nd, if not harder. Hopefully back to 100% in the morning.

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Both my parents felt really tired after their 3rd and my dad had a low grade fever.  Neither had a reaction from their 2nd one.

It seems clear that Moderna is the most effective vaccine, but also has more side effects (although still low amounts). It’s more effective against Delta but appears to have more myocarditis associated with it. 

I read this today, which I think a lot of folks aren't aware of. When people hear "breakthrough infection" they assume they are shedding it to their old parents or whatever, it seems like:

In one sense, defining a breakthrough infection is straightforward: you have one if you test positive two or more weeks after completing all recommended doses of a covid vaccine. But, in another sense, the meaning of the term is unclear. A highly sensitive P.C.R. test has detected some of the virus’s genetic code inside your nose. So what?

“Your body doesn’t produce infinite amounts of antibodies,” Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization who studies the push and pull between hosts and pathogens, told me. “Your lymph nodes are not, like, the horn of plenty.” It’s possible to be exposed to more virus than the antibodies in your nose can handle. Still, Rasmussen said, “When you’ve been immunized and get an ‘infection’ ”—she raised her hands in scare quotes—“or, I should say, when you test positive by P.C.R.—that doesn’t mean there’s a robust viral infection raging in your body. Even if some cells do get infected, other parts of the immune system spring into action and stop it from spreading.” She went on, “Is that an infection? That’s a philosophical question. Technically, some cells got infected and the virus started to replicate. But the immune system prevented you from getting sick and shedding copious amounts of virus that can go on to infect someone else.”

and

It’s possible that we’ll never have a satisfactory understanding of breakthrough infections. We may eventually arrive at a closer approximation of the breakthrough risk posed by Delta—but, by then, we could be contending with new variants, old vaccines, or waning immunity. Each time we try to map the risk landscape, the sand will move beneath our feet. What does this mean for the pandemic’s future? Nuzzo told me that, in her view, that’s an impossible question to answer without a clearer idea of what we’re trying to accomplish. “The stated public-health goals have shifted so many times,” she told me. “Laypeople are saying, ‘Wait, I thought we were worried about hospitals being overwhelmed?’ Then it was, ‘Oh, we need to close schools because we’re worried about children giving the virus to their grandparents.’ Now grandparents are vaccinated, but we still need masks? We still need distance? The vaccines aren’t good enough?” Speaking about public-health officials, Nuzzo said that “they haven’t yet defined for the public what their current rationale and exit ramps are. If you lead people to believe the vaccines are not sufficiently protective, then they’ll wonder, ‘When does this end?’ ”

For the pandemic to resoundingly conclude, two trends must intersect. The virus must cease to inflict overwhelming harm, and the risks that remain must be judged low enough for society to proceed with normal life. On the first front, most vaccinated Americans should feel safe. But, on the second, we need data and we need a plan. “The public deserves a coherent strategy with end goals that define what we’re working toward, and then a research agenda aimed at answering the questions we need in order to make decisions,” Nuzzo told me. “That’s how we put ourselves in a position to decide when the pandemic is over.”

To navigate uncertainty, we need nuanced thinking. Right now, we speak of breakthrough infections as binary events: the virus either breached the gates, or it didn’t. But the course of an infection and the circumstances around it are more important than the mere fact of a positive test. Are our immune systems still fighting off typical, predictable viral incursions? Or are small invasions more frequently escalating into pitched battles? The former suggests that we’re mostly safe most of the time; the latter is reason to pause business as usual. An all-or-nothing conceptualization of breakthroughs—one that overlooks the context and implications of P.C.R. positivity—coarsens the pandemic discourse and clouds our view of the future.

It’s possible to see reports of breakthrough infections not as disheartening setbacks but as expected developments in the pandemic story. We’ve been talking about boosters since the first covid vaccines became available; all along, the implicit rationale—one that’s often gone unsaid—was that either our immunity would wane, or the virus’s genetic code would change, such that we would end up somewhat less protected. We’re now witnessing something like what we predicted. We’ve already read the script, but we’re still surprised by the plot twist.

--

In his “Pensées,” Blaise Pascal, the seventeenth-century French philosopher and mathematician, advanced an argument: Every rational person should believe in God. Pascal’s wager, as it’s come to be known, begins with the indisputable supposition that either God exists, or he doesn’t. If you believe in God, and he doesn’t exist, then you’ve lost very little—perhaps a chance at some risqué behavior that’s better avoided anyway. But if you don’t believe in God, and he does exist, you’re damned. Better to believe in God. We might not call this “belief,” exactly—it’s too calculated for that—but it does have a certain logical appeal.

When it comes to breakthrough infections, we are not compelled to believe that they are seriously risky. The data are too inconclusive for that. But we may still choose, rationally, to make a wager. For vaccinated people, the coronavirus threat is massively, undeniably smaller than it was last year; at the same time, we are taking more risks—visiting family, attending weddings, going to church, returning to the office. We have to make decisions about what’s worth it, what isn’t, what we should do now, and what can wait.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

The full approval was rushed!  Too many clinical outliers!  Not effective enough!  Too many side effects!  Results were rigged!  I'm holding out for full approval of one of other vaccines!  And other things I've heard in parking lots, ahhhhhh!

I guess this is good news and maybe tips another few hundred thousand fence-sitters to get it.  Plus I was encouraged by former President Trump's comments on Saturday, strongly encouraging people to get the vaccine.  I think these two developments, together, probably get 500k-1.0mm more Americans to get their first shot in the coming month.  Sad that 18 months in, and 9 months of the vaccine being available, we have to hope for these tiny, little incremental victories to nudge us to the finish line because the last 40mm eligible adults are just gonna be fucking assholes about this whole thing.

I think the real value in the full approval is it will be much easier for employers, schools etc… to make these vaccines mandatory.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The full approval was rushed!  Too many clinical outliers!  Not effective enough!  Too many side effects!  Results were rigged!  I'm holding out for full approval of one of other vaccines!  And other things I've heard in parking lots, ahhhhhh!

I guess this is good news and maybe tips another few hundred thousand fence-sitters to get it.  Plus I was encouraged by former President Trump's comments on Saturday, strongly encouraging people to get the vaccine.  I think these two developments, together, probably get 500k-1.0mm more Americans to get their first shot in the coming month.  Sad that 18 months in, and 9 months of the vaccine being available, we have to hope for these tiny, little incremental victories to nudge us to the finish line because the last 40mm eligible adults are just gonna be fucking assholes about this whole thing.

This.  It will move the needle for a few, and we'll take what we can get.....but goddammit.  It won't move the needle nearly enough, for all the reasons you said.

1 minute ago, TexEx15 said:

I think the real value in the full approval is it will be much easier for employers, schools etc… to make these vaccines mandatory.

But also this.  This is where you get some traction.  I know of multiple people who, when their employer made vaccines mandatory by a set date, they went ahead and got it.  You hear about the insane morons who quit their jobs, but 90%+ just grumble and go ahead and get the shot.  That's good.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

This.  It will move the needle for a few, and we'll take what we can get.....but goddammit.  It won't move the needle nearly enough, for all the reasons you said.

But also this.  This is where you get some traction.  I know of multiple people who, when their employer made vaccines mandatory by a set date, they went ahead and got it.  You hear about the insane morons who quit their jobs, but 90%+ just grumble and go ahead and get the shot.  That's good.

Wheels turning.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TexEx15 said:

Oh, I agree.  I didn't mention it for the same reason my wife didn't ask about it at this morning's in-person parent orientation at our elementary school (classes actually began last week).  Because we know it's coming.  It's coming soon.  And it's going to be an absolute and unadulterated shitshow that will make the mask mandate protests in our district look like a carnival.  

I'm bringing a flask to that meeting and every time I heard the word "Nazi", I'm taking a drink.  While I will be completely shitfaced drunk by the end, I think I'll get a pass from the Board because they'll realize, "You know, he's like the least disruptive asshole here." 

Just got back from a dental appointment and the hygienist said her 21yo son who is a student at UT finally got vaccinated because he's worried it might become required for admission to football games and other athletic events this fall. 

So... yay, football!

• Hook 'Em 5

27 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

This is exactly why full approval is a big deal. Many hospitals and state / local government systems have been unable to mandate vaccinations for employees because vaccines were still classified as "experimental" by the FDA. That of course leads to facilities that are hampered operationally by higher rates of COVID infection (e.g., hospitals being unable to admit certain patients because of infections on certain wards, schools going remote, etc.). Mandating vaccinations for those employees gets us back to normal more quickly. I know of one state in which the patients at a mental hospital have a higher vaccination rate than the staff. That pretty much tells you everything you need to know about anti-vaxxers. 

Edited by honolulu horn

27 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

He's been pushing it from the beginning. That's why it's so baffling to me why his supporters are so against it.

NoCR/ I wouldn't say he's been "pushing it" the last few months though which is what was bafflingly frustrating to me.  But I was really relieved to hear him endorse/encourage it on Saturday.  And I thought the way that he did it was absolutely perfect given the audience he was addressing.  The way it played to more sane people on television was the powerful part.  Those are the people we can still save through vaccination.  The anti-vaxx shitheels in that cow pasture are already dead, they just don't know it yet.  I think the way he did it was quite deft, and along with the full approval of Pfizer, gave us a small score in week filled with otherwise really shitty Covid news around our area and schools.  

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Just got back from a dental appointment and the hygienist said her 21yo son who is a student at UT finally got vaccinated because he's worried it might become required for admission to football games and other athletic events this fall. 

So... yay, football!

Eternal Fall hope.  If it was another year of Herman I would've asked for Covid.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1