COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

And for all I know, because the PCR is so sensitive, I could have gotten it earlier (before the booster) and I really just had a flu or some other virus instead of COVID.  Or got another bug around the same time - seasonal changes always fuck with me and mid last week we had a front come through with a bunch of wind.  Again, for all I know, another bug and COVID collided, held hands, and went for a hike in my body.

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Haha 1

He got something that resembles a bad cold because his immune system was primed to respond, rather than rolling the dice with a trip to the hospital to see how many tubes they could stick up his ass. 

Wait…they stick tubes up your ass? Nobody ever told me that.

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Saw this earlier. Pretty much sums it up.

63823c39664c82935d96d3037e6efc57.jpg

I know it is just a meme, but... The anti-COVID vaccine crowd is more conservative than liberal and I don't think it has a problem with Big Pharma. However, anti-vaccine Iiberals generally have a problem with Big Pharma. I think they are both stupid, but hey that's their choice. I just hope they don't lie and do other stupid shit to put other people's lives in danger - unfortunately, I know it happens regularly.

Both groups are over-saturated with very simple-minded doofuses.  It doesn't take extreme brain power or genius intelligence to grasp that some things are just complex....because they're complex, and trying to comprehend all of it in one big gulp on social media or by listening to clickbait podcasts or other media is the absolute worst way of informing themselves.

Interesting article out today about "data integrity issues" during the Pfizer's trial.  Clearly this in no way invalidates the trial, but shit like this could easily change that highly touted 95% effectiveness number.     I don't keep track of which medical journals are trash and which are legit, but a quick internet search seems to indicate this is one of the oldest UK journals.

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2635

I'll be interested to see if there is any fall out from this.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I know it is just a meme, but... The anti-COVID vaccine crowd is more conservative than liberal and I don't think it has a problem with Big Pharma. However, anti-vaccine Iiberals generally have a problem with Big Pharma. I think they are both stupid, but hey that's their choice. I just hope they don't lie and do other stupid shit to put other people's lives in danger - unfortunately, I know it happens regularly.

Mmmm.  The Trumpkin types, whatever they are, aren't big fans of pharma.  First, the cost of things.  Second, the vast number of conspiracy theories about how pharma suppresses natural drugs and cancer cures, etc.  Third, Trump took a few jabs at pharma without ever doing anything of substance.  Fourth, pharma represents science, education, and coastal elitism.

They may not have the same objections to pharma, grounded in reality, that more liberal types do, but they aren't big fans.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Mmmm.  The Trumpkin types, whatever they are, aren't big fans of pharma.  First, the cost of things.  Second, the vast number of conspiracy theories about how pharma suppresses natural drugs and cancer cures, etc.  Third, Trump took a few jabs at pharma without ever doing anything of substance.  Fourth, pharma represents science, education, and coastal elitism.

They may not have the same objections to pharma, grounded in reality, that more liberal types do, but they aren't big fans.

He’s just asking questions.

• Rage+1 1

Any Austin area people know of places booking appointments for the 5-11 group? I asked my local CVS and they wont start taking appointments until next week

Tarrytown Pharmacy. A bunch of folks we know booked online today. IIRC, they charge $120 for it even though it’s free everywhere else in America because Tarrytown.

1 hour ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Interesting article out today about "data integrity issues" during the Pfizer's trial.  Clearly this in no way invalidates the trial, but shit like this could easily change that highly touted 95% effectiveness number.     I don't keep track of which medical journals are trash and which are legit, but a quick internet search seems to indicate this is one of the oldest UK journals.

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2635

I'll be interested to see if there is any fall out from this.

Meh. Lots of ways to deal with shitty research sites.  Pfizer most likely also ran the primary efficacy and safety analysis with and without those sites data.  This is not uncommon when there is suspected fraud.   All Pfizer really had to do was threaten to sick FDA on the investigators. Once you end up on the debarment list,  you’re proper fucked.  No mo’ investigator grants for you!

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/29/2021 at 4:29 PM, CooterBrown said:

Just got my booster at Walgreens. Pharmacist said their scheduling system is usually 2 days behind approval. Most Walgreens have either Pfizer or Moderna. I got my Moderna booster at Justin/Lamar so they won’t give it to kids at that location.

did you make an appointment or just walk in?

anyone know of any walk in locations in Austin for the Moderna booster?

47 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

did you make an appointment or just walk in?

anyone know of any walk in locations in Austin for the Moderna booster?

Set an appointment online.  The line for boosters was 10 deep at the time so I doubt they take walk ins right now.

Edited by CooterBrown

Am I the only one worried about vaxxing a kid?  We've scheduled our 11 year old for next week but I'm having second thoughts just because of the 'unkowns'-or am I overthinking it?

Nope. I’m worried as well, as he doesn’t do great with any vaccine. That said - it’s one of the very small 1 in a million worries and I’m more concerned with him getting COVID and having long term effects.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, if you're an adult and not about to have a baby, I think there is enough people with doses out there that being worried about getting the shot is silly. But smaller kids, I get the hesitancy. I had a youngin' who picked it up from school and was over it seemingly within hours (but not before giving it to me). I'm thinking we'll hold off on him until the end of the year since he should have antibodies for a while. Still, seems like if we want to take him anywhere international he will eventually need the shot.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

My 13 year old got the vaccine and had zero issues with it.  We weren't going to get it for him until the Delta variant came along and seemed to be more dangerous for kids than the original.  He also is around his Grandma quite a bit and we were worried he might pass it on to her.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hate said:

My 13 year old got the vaccine and had zero issues with it.  We weren't going to get it for him until the Delta variant came along and seemed to be more dangerous for kids than the original.  He also is around his Grandma quite a bit and we were worried he might pass it on to her.

My 14yo  and my 12yo both fully vaxed, no issues.

But, just like the "my aunt's best friend's landlord's cousin got the vaccine and his spleen exploded" stories are anecdotal, so are our own stories about how our kids sailed through with no issues.

Bottom line, talk to your kids' doctors' about it, to help make an educated decision.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Bottom line, talk to your kids' doctors' about it, to help make an educated decision.

That's exactly what we did with him and what I did today with my doctor.  He recommended that I get the booster so I got the booster.  It's no different than we he tells me to take my blood pressure or cholesterol meds...then again he also says I should exercise, eat better, and not drink so much. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

That's exactly what we did with him and what I did today with my doctor.  He recommended that I get the booster so I got the booster.  It's no different than we he tells me to take my blood pressure or cholesterol meds...then again he also says I should exercise, eat better, and not drink so much

Well. nobody ever said doctors were right 100% of the time...

Got my 3 spawn scheduled at cvs for next week.  Scheduled for earliest available, but sort of mad they automatically scheduled the 2nd dose exactly 3 weeks after.  I wasn’t given much of a choice. 

anyone hear of any of those gift card incentives for kids shots?  That’s be sweet but I can’t find anything 

• Hook 'Em 1

had no issues with our 12yo at the time getting the shot.  now have the 11yo getting theirs on Friday.  Their school set up a drive through jabbing station during carpool so really easy.  

- no concerns on kids getting the vax.  

Their school plans to finally go 'no mask/optional' in Dec due to the falling C19 numbers and that kids have access to the vax.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Walgreens went live with scheduling 5-11 year olds. Just booked my 8 YO's for next Thursday.

My wife got our 6 year old scheduled for this Saturday at Walgreens. Talked to her about the shot to prep her so she’s not worried about it, and told her she might feel sick for a day or two after the shot. She said “If I still feel sick on Monday do I have to go to school” and I said nope. So she said “I think I’ll probably feel sick for 4 or5 days.”

Kid’s gonna be a lawyer. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Hate said:

I’m about to get my flu shot and Moderna booster at the same time. Wish me luck.

How did you do? I got the flu shot just over 24 hours ago and I felt nothing. Not even soreness in my arm. 

CVS offered me a booster but they only had Moderna. I am riding or dying with Pfizer. 

1 hour ago, Telegraph_it said:

How did you do? I got the flu shot just over 24 hours ago and I felt nothing. Not even soreness in my arm. 

CVS offered me a booster but they only had Moderna. I am riding or dying with Pfizer. 

Any reason why? I haven't read much about it, but logically my brain tells me that getting two different types of shots would be at least as, if not more, effective as only receiving one type. My only hesitancy is that I had zero side effects with Moderna so I have no concerns about the booster, but I'll be nervous going in to get Pfizer since I don't know how I'll react.

Anywho, got my 6 and 8 year olds scheduled for next week. Very exited for them, and they're super pumped as well. Soon I'll only have to worry about the 3 yo.

I had no issues at all. Both arms are still a little sore, but I had no other side effects. I get fine last night and even had a few bourbons to help sleep since I am a side sleeper and my arms were even more sore last night.

On 11/3/2021 at 10:38 AM, Gunsup said:

Am I the only one worried about vaxxing a kid?  We've scheduled our 11 year old for next week but I'm having second thoughts just because of the 'unkowns'-or am I overthinking it?

Nope.  My wife and I had a conversation about getting him vaxxed and we're not in a rush.  He should still have antibodies.  We're going to have a conversation with his doctor.

On 11/3/2021 at 10:52 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, if you're an adult and not about to have a baby, I think there is enough people with doses out there that being worried about getting the shot is silly. But smaller kids, I get the hesitancy. I had a youngin' who picked it up from school and was over it seemingly within hours (but not before giving it to me). I'm thinking we'll hold off on him until the end of the year since he should have antibodies for a while. Still, seems like if we want to take him anywhere international he will eventually need the shot.

This is why I'm hesitant.  My then 4-year old caught it at daycare earlier this year and gave it to my wife and I.  We were down for probably 3 weeks.  This was after the vaccine rollout but before we had our two shots.  We're both vaxxed now.

On 11/3/2021 at 10:46 AM, Goofyboy said:

Nope. I’m worried as well, as he doesn’t do great with any vaccine. That said - it’s one of the very small 1 in a million worries and I’m more concerned with him getting COVID and having long term effects.

My reasons for being hesitant are different.  Mainly because of the low risk of serious infection in children.  He'll eventually get the shot, but not immediately.  Every adult he comes in to close contact with is vaccinated.

Edited by pearlandhorn

48 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Any reason why? I haven't read much about it, but logically my brain tells me that getting two different types of shots would be at least as, if not more, effective as only receiving one type. My only hesitancy is that I had zero side effects with Moderna so I have no concerns about the booster, but I'll be nervous going in to get Pfizer since I don't know how I'll react.

Anywho, got my 6 and 8 year olds scheduled for next week. Very exited for them, and they're super pumped as well. Soon I'll only have to worry about the 3 yo.

Probably my OCD preventing me. 

Had my 11 year old daughter scheduled for first shot next Saturday.  Tuesday she had a low fever 99.6 and complained of a headache.  She has displayed no other symptoms other then an ear ache so we took her to the Doctor yesterday.  They didn't think it was an ear or sinus infection and claimed they have seen Covid cases in kids with these symptoms, so they swabbed her brain.  Found out this afternoon she is positive.

I woke up today feeling like shit with a headache, sore throat and slight cough.  Had both Moderna shots back in April/May. Just took the home test and it was negative, but I will probably go get the swab tomorrow.  So far the Wife showing no symptoms.(she was 2X Pfizer in April)

• Rage+1 1

On 11/2/2021 at 5:31 PM, Brisketexan said:

It's a weird fucking bug, man.  Seriously, it just behaves in some ways that are curveballs compared to what we expect from similar viruses, which is part of the reason that the response etc. has been so erratic and has changed course multiple times -- because COVID likes to pull a fucking Crazy Ivan with regularity.

Not if we stay in its baffles, Sea-Man Brisket.  Not if we stay in its baffles.

Edited by dcbc

On 11/2/2021 at 5:31 PM, Brisketexan said:

It's a weird fucking bug, man.  Seriously, it just behaves in some ways that are curveballs compared to what we expect from similar viruses, which is part of the reason that the response etc. has been so erratic and has changed course multiple times -- because COVID likes to pull a fucking Crazy Ivan with regularity.

it hits everyone differently