Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

Just now, texifornia said:

Jesus, I mean they whipped the shit out of TxSt, was Mond just getting run around all game?

I was watching the UCLA/Cincy shitshow.

The rushing stats are a bit deceiving.  Lots of runs stuffed/hit at the LOS.  Free blitzers coming through, Tx State DE's beating the aggy JAG Tackles.

Think it's more along the lines of thinking what they'll face going forward they are in trouble.

4 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Bobby Brown looked sluggish tonight. It's almost like all that weight he added wasn't "good weight".

He played all of 2 plays before having to come off the field.

Leal looked slow as shit as well on the Bobcats final drive.

Edited by HtownHorn

17 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The rushing stats are a bit deceiving.  Lots of runs stuffed/hit at the LOS.  Free blitzers coming through, Tx State DE's beating the aggy JAG Tackles.

Think it's more along the lines of thinking what they'll face going forward they are in trouble.

Yes, they popped the big run and had another 20 yarder. Then averaged 4.15 over the remaining 34 carries.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, markstanco said:
1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:
Lol, “is the team that finished 3-9 in the Sun Belt bad?”

This. Its like if my mother was watching football for the first time and asking questions about texas state. What a dipshit to even post something like that.

Markstanco criticizing somebody for asking a dumb question. I’ve seen it all now.  

Edited by Irieguy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

After next week we'll see the OL panic level squared.  Maybe even cubed.

I get it. I get things...

1 minute ago, Sejjr said:

aggy has been talking up their new RB as if he might be even better than Trayveon. How did he look overall? I saw a few plays early on and he looked a little JAGy. 

He looked... serviceable. Not gonna run through guys as he’s pretty light framed. Never looked like he was gonna break off a big run or make a big chunk of yardage by breaking though to the next level on his own, like trayveon seemed to do. That o-line is bad, and he wasn’t getting much if they didn’t open a big hole for him. That’s saying something when the other team is TX state.

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Lots of runs for short or no gain.  Pretty awful when a talent poor team wasn't even loading the box most of the night.  Was charting it during the game and it was really bad at times, especially in short-yardage situations.  In goal to go situations, their best runs used their QB Mond.  * = QB runs, bold = goal to go.

Run sequence: 5, 20, 1, 3, 4, 1, 0, 0, 1, 2, 1, 5*, 5, 14, 11, 5*, 4, 9*, 3*, 5, 7, 3, 3, 7, 4, 3, 0, 3*, 7, 85, 1, 7, 0, 3, 7, 5.

Some of them were observant enough to notice that even in goal line and short yardage aggy often had to pass to pick up yardage against Texas State.  That's a pretty good indicator that your running game has a problem.

• Like 2

I love the notion that Jimbo ripping the OL ass is going to make a difference. "Oh there in trouble now, just you WATCH!"

Screaming at a bunch of fat, unathletic dudes to be faster and more athletic week to week as yanking a player around by his fucking facemask on national television is going to make a difference play to play...wait a second...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I love the notion that Jimbo ripping the OL ass is going to make a difference. "Oh there in trouble now, just you WATCH!"

Screaming at a bunch of fat, unathletic dudes to be faster and more athletic week to week as yanking a player around by his fucking facemask on national television is going to make a difference play to play...wait a second...

Is this English?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I thought Mond looked pretty good last night. He threw a couple of really nice passes downfield. The interception was all on him, but other than that, overall I was impressed with him.  He also took some hits that he shouldn't have against a team like that. It will be interesting to see what type of punishment he takes against Clemson and going forward. That OL looks fairly problematic and it doesn't look like they will be getting much help from their TE in the run game or in pass pro. They had trouble moving the LOS in short yardage against a team they should push around fairly easily. They really shouldn't have to run Mond inside the 5 yard line to score. I thought Corbin their RB was pretty good and their WR group is pretty good. 

On defense, they are going to talk about how many turnovers they forced but it seemed like most of them were from blitzes where the QB panicked and threw a bad ball. Give their DC credit for dialing them up but should you really have to bring the house against TX State to get pressure? Their interior DL completely shut down TX State between the tackles and after that, they didn't have a lot of options. Still, you didn't see a ton of receivers running free in their secondary, which I suppose is a pretty big improvement over last season. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I thought Mond looked pretty good last night. He threw a couple of really nice passes downfield. The interception was all on him, but other than that, overall I was impressed with him.  He also took some hits that he shouldn't have against a team like that. It will be interesting to see what type of punishment he takes against Clemson and going forward. That OL looks fairly problematic and it doesn't look like they will be getting much help from their TE in the run game or in pass pro. They had trouble moving the LOS in short yardage against a team they should push around fairly easily. They really shouldn't have to run Mond inside the 5 yard line to score. I thought Corbin their RB was pretty good and their WR group is pretty good. 

On defense, they are going to talk about how many turnovers they forced but it seemed like most of them were from blitzes where the QB panicked and threw a bad ball. Give their DC credit for dialing them up but should you really have to bring the house against TX State to get pressure? Their interior DL completely shut down TX State between the tackles and after that, they didn't have a lot of options. Still, you didn't see a ton of receivers running free in their secondary, which I suppose is a pretty big improvement over last season. 

Mond is fine/good.  He's the least of their worries.

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s Sydney Cartoon typing on his phone. Whether that rises to the level of English is certainly up for debate.

Sydney has the phone competency of a 65 year old grandma. He probably forwards those old man joke email threads to CTJ in his downtime. 

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

Sydney has the phone competency of a 65 year old grandma. He probably forwards those old man joke email threads to CTJ in his downtime. 

Are you trying to tell me that Nigerian Princes aren't real? Also, I got a VM from a robot that said I have warrant out for my arrest from the FBI. That sounds serious, who do I talk to?

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Are you trying to tell me that Nigerian Princes aren't real? Also, I got a VM from a robot that said I have warrant out for my arrest from the FBI. That sounds serious, who do I talk to?

Fwd:Fwd:Fwd:Fwd:Fwd:Fwd 

THIS ONES A REAL HOOT

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is some good stuff from Tarp. Some delusion, and some reality sneaked in there. I underlined some fun ones

Texas A&M's defense lost most of the front seven from last season but you never would have known it from its performance in the season opener when it was 36 seconds away from posting a shutout against Texas State. A unit that produced just seven interceptions in 2018 garnered four of them. On the other hand, an offense that returned most of its starters from 2018 was inconsistent and failed to finish a couple of red zone opportunities even though they rang up nearly 500 yards of total offense and incurred only three penalties.

Overall, it was an inconsistent outing at best and A&M boss Jimbo Fisher played his ones well into the fourth quarter of a 41-7 win. Interestingly enough, while there weren't many concerns about untested new players or problematic older ones, some of the veterans struggled which resulted in a more inconsistent performance than in last year's opener. 

QUARTERBACK

Starter Kellen Mond was very good early on as he threw the ball well even when he had to move around a lot. Mond saw the field well, kept his feet under him, was able to turn his hips and shoulders into throws, and slots his arm moreso over his head than before. He used all of these items generate some really good placement on his downfield passes.  Not only that, he was able to go deep into his reads and find his third and fourth targets as he did on his first touchdown pass to Quartney Daviswhich was a backside post away from the primary read.

However, Mond took his share of shots due to protection issues. He got roughed up a couple of times. Nonetheless, he was 19 fo 27 for 194 for three touchdowns and a pick that came when a linebacker came in from the backside on a crossing route and Mond didn't see him (someone turned a rusher loose and the defender was in Mond's face as he threw the ball...which happened more than once tonight).

Freshman Zach Calzada came off of the bench and was four of nine. He also suffered from some protection issues as well and while he showed off his arm talent he also indicated that he has a ways to go in terms of running the offense and reading coverages.

RUNNING BACK

Jashaun Corbin had over 100 yards rushing (22/103/1) and also had four receptions. He was dinged in the first quarter and played through it. He was more quick than fast but too often had to deal with defenders coming from the backside due to missed blocks on zone runs and was run down before he could get going, In addition, there wasn't always the running lanes there when A&M was unable to get its frontside blocks going, particularly on the left side. Freshman Isaiah Spiller ripped off a 85 yard run and finished with 7/106/0. He's got good size, balance, and burst and get his shoulders turned square to the hole pretty quickly. A&M had two backs over 100 yards for the night but their running game wasn't what everyone expected.

RECEIVER

A&M had multiple receivers sit out much of the spring and fall camp but all of them played tonight. Quartney Davis (6/85/1) showed why he's the team's best wideout. Playing both inside and outside, he was fluid in and out of his cuts and was able to reel the ball in whenever it was near him. His touchdown on a backside post where he ran the defender off with a cut and then emerged wide open was really something to see. Jhamon Ausbon (6/75/1) was a check down receiver and flourished as usual on crossing routes as a secondary option. His touchdown came on a fade route in which he adjusted to the ball well along the sideline in the end zone. The remainder of the group was adequate but got limited opportunities with those two handling the ball so much. 

TIGHT END

The tight ends are relative newcomers (Glenn Beal didn't play much last season and Jalen Wydermyer wasn't even on campus). The position as a whole struggled to cut off backside defenders on zone runs and allowed them to work down the line far too quickly. As a result, when A&M runners had to cut back, there was someone waiting for them. They need to use their hands better and come off of the ball better to improve their push. Mond didn't look their way much in the passing game either

OFFENSIVE LINE

This group returned five players with starting experience and added a five star prospect from a 2018 outfit that was the best run blocking unit down the stretch of the SEC season. The beginning of the 2019 campaign was a different story. Colton Prater started at center for Ryan McCollum and was okay. The left side of the line had some of the same issues that the tight ends did in terms of cutting off backside players coming down the line versus the run game and didn't pick up blitzes on various types of protections. In particular, it was difficult for A&M at times to generate push against a much smaller defense. The right side of the line was better and freshman Kenyon Green and junior Carson Green had some good down blocks. The youngster also had drove some people into the ground although he did turn people loose occasionally as well.

To Texas State's credit, their blitz packages freed up interior rushers on stunts and twists involving their backers. They didn't sack Kellen Mond but they hit him more than you would have expected going into the game and a couple of times really let people get to him far too quickly by allowing him to come free. Even so, the unit didn't look as good as they did in last year's opener in terms of their punch with their hands or moving their feet after contact to sustain blocks. Mond took some shots. 

The second unit was adequate but was better as run blockers than in pass protection. Ryan McCollum more than held his own at center.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

The group did their job in terms of dominating a smaller and reshuffled Texas State interior. Justin Madubuike was difficult to get a hand on and he had a tackle for loss. Bobby Brown pushed the pocket and didn't get moved off of the ball much whole protecting the backers. Jayden Peevy came in and had 1.5 tackles for loss. He just uses his hands so well in freeing himself up early on plays and then uses his legs to run people down not just as a pass rusher but also in pursuit versus the run.

DEFENSIVE END

A&M's ends are the contain players in the defense and while they do a good job of winning inside leverage via quick hands and superior pad level, they also generally push people straight back and stay in their lanes. As a result, they had just one sack although they push the pocket and make it difficult for Texas State quarterbacks to stay in the pocket and they forced them to move around some. Tyree Wilson had his first ever sack in his first game action as a Aggie but from a numbers' perspective the position was very quiet.

LINEBACKER

Buddy Johnson and Anthony Hines combined for 11 tackles, seven solos, and two tackles for loss. They were allowed to roam free because the people in front of them kept blockers off of them and although they didn't shoot gaps very much they were usually in position to make stops at the line of scrimmage. In particular, Johnson is the sideline to sideline player that A&M has been missing at the position as he can really run. The backups didn't get a whole lot of playing time. The Bobcats ran 15 times for eight yards.

CORNERS

Texas A&M's corners had a very good night. They were able to play in trail coverages and align themselves closer to the line of scrimmage much like they did in the bowl game. This allowed them to play the receivers closer, be more physical, and they showed a far superior ability to play the ball in the air. They also anticipated routes better. Myles Jones had two interceptions and his returns for 33 yards gave the Aggies great field position on Teas Sate's side of the field. Charles Oliver acted as a deterrent for the most part. Junior college transfer Elijah Blades got in receivers' faces and had no problems turning his hips with people when they made their cuts.

SAFETIES

A&M's safeties played a lot more one high looks tonight and they also brought their safeties down into the box as run defenders like they did for most of last season. Moreover, they played with velocity and confidence which were missing at times last season and didn't take bad angles to the ball. Leon O'Neal had an interception as did nickel Roney Elam and Elam threw in nine tackles (four solos) and a sack on a blitz.

Overall, A&M's defense lived up to its reputation from the spring and fall camp as an improved unit versus the pass with better speed and ball awareness and the same quality of run defense that we saw last season due to increased athleticism up front. The offense had its moments via big plays from Kellen Mond because he could move around, see things, and get the ball down the field accurately. However, pass protection and the run game were more problematic and inconsistent and there are things that A&M will need to work on in terms of its ability to target the right people and sustain blocks to play with Clemson next weekend

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

This is some good stuff from Tarp. Some delusion, and some reality sneaked in there. I underlined some fun ones

I'll say this - Calzada has a fucking whip. He reminded me of Ryan Mallett in his limited action. He may not know where the ball is going when he fires it free, but it is going to get there fast. I don't make the Mallett reference favorably. I don't know how you fix accuracy, but I suppose the QB Whisperer will solve it. 

That game was classic fool's gold for the winning team. Texas State looked like a high school team. There's not much to legitimately glean for the aggies after watching it. Hopefully Dorian doesn't ruin what could be a hilarious event next Saturday night in Death Valley.

2 hours ago, LarTXHorn said:

kids, this is what happens when a program never wins anything important, it is reduced to celebrating anything.  absolutely pathetic.  a regular season win against a division opponent is worth commemorating on tens of thousands of cups to start the following season.  

they keep lowering the bar for aggyness.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'll say this - Calzada has a fucking whip. He reminded me of Ryan Mallett in his limited action. He may not know where the ball is going when he fires it free, but it is going to get there fast. I don't make the Mallett reference favorably. I don't know how you fix accuracy, but I suppose the QB Whisperer will solve it. 

That game was classic fool's gold for the winning team. Texas State looked like a high school team. There's not much to legitimately glean for the aggies after watching it. Hopefully Dorian doesn't ruin what could be a hilarious event next Saturday night in Death Valley.

Its a 2:30 game. We should be able to watch it go down in and out of Saturday festivities.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I thought Mond was fine, he threw a beautiful TD rolling left and dropping a dime at the pylon. Other than that he was efficient but not spectacular. They are still a very very flawed team that will get exposed later in the season. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

I for one, look forward to T. Sweat's 1 sack, 2 tfl, 1 ff night so I can exuberantly and undeniably proclaim Sweat >>>>> Leal; Oscar Giles absolute genius recruiter 

There's a reason why Sweat was the top DL in the inaugural 2019 Surly top 30 in the state!!!

• Like 1