A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Deal is brokered. Trump doesn’t run, desantis pledges to appoint trump as SoS.  

also, a quick question:  does the term show tune refer to any song in a musical theater performance?  Or is it more of a style of musical theater performance?  Is everything in Phantom or Hamilton a show tune?  Because a lot of those songs are great but don’t sound like what’s on bye bye birdie or South Pacific or music man. 

another aside- how apt is music man as an allegory to trump?

another aside- how apt is music man as an allegory to trump?

I've been using this to explain to people how politicians work.  Identify a problem, usually made up, and sell people that the politician is the only one who can fix the issue (see making laws or what bathroom trans people use.)  There has to be an enemy for the redneck to be worried about.  Of course they can't or won't worry about fixing any real problems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Dog said:is a great point IMHO. 

Trump was the ultimate outsider - someone who had never held elective office. He even had a slogan for it - "drain the swamp". It resonated with people. 

Lol, Drain the swamp has been around for probably 200 years. 

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

That theory may very well hold true, although many Trump 2020 voters are dead from covid and Trump's 2020 silver medal performance is still a high bar for DeSantis to clear.

One thing that could throw a wrench into that idea is how nasty DeSantis's takeover of the party would be. We saw what Trump did to Jeb and Ted in 2016, and those resentments lingered even into the convention. My $0.02 is I don't think Trumpworld™ is going to gracefully step down from power within the party. Whatever butthurt we saw from Tedworld™ during 2016 I think we can expect several orders of magnitude greater pettiness and scorched earth from the Trumps.

The only way this could work is if Trump can be "sold" on the idea of stepping down into some kind of advisory role. DeSantis needs to kiss ass, kiss the ring, and do everything in his power to resist "backstabbing" optics at every stage (including this one where the Select Committee is methodically demolishing the counternarrative downplaying or justifying January 6).

I don't think DeSantis has what it takes.

Trump won’t go quietly. He will continue to fundraise and split the party but he’ll probably end up with just the Q nuts in the end. He’ll still be playing the big lie hits in the Republican primaries about all the RINOs stealing his votes. Just look at those crowds. 

Proud Boys will happily take their anger campaign to DeSantis who has a penchant for manipulating the persecution mindset. People that think they need to defend themselves from the government will be all his. The platform will also include taking on Disney and I kept Florida open when trump was shutting things down. 

15 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Lol, Drain the swamp has been around for probably 200 years. 

Trump won’t go quietly. He will continue to fundraise and split the party but he’ll probably end up with just the Q nuts in the end. He’ll still be playing the big lie hits in the Republican primaries about all the RINOs stealing his votes. Just look at those crowds. 

Proud Boys will happily take their anger campaign to DeSantis who has a penchant for manipulating the persecution mindset. People that think they need to defend themselves from the government will be all his. The platform will also include taking on Disney and I kept Florida open when trump was shutting things down. 

That's what I think too.

5 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

American Utopia isn't really a musical and it isn't playing anymore but the film is really great.

Looks like the last shows were earlier this month. All good things come to an end. If it wasn’t a musical then I don’t know what it was. It was a musical performance on Broadway. I’m not sure that characters and dialog are required to make it a musical. Boundary pushing and genre bending is sort of David Byrne’s forte. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Looks like the last shows were earlier this month. All good things come to an end. If it wasn’t a musical then I don’t know what it was. It was a musical performance on Broadway. I’m not sure that characters and dialog are required to make it a musical. Boundary pushing and genre bending is sort of David Byrne’s forte. 

Saw it at The Winspear Opera House. Outstanding show. Better viewed from the lower balcony where you could see the choreography.

Wow. I haven’t seen that video in years. I don’t think I even knew who John Goodman was at the time. That’s, well, wild. 

Fun times around Big D when they were filming. He thought The Beer Barn on Walnut hill was the coolest thing. You could buy beer without ever leaving your car!

27 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Saw it at The Winspear Opera House. Outstanding show. Better viewed from the lower balcony where you could see the choreography.

I only saw him in concert once, on the Feelings tour (which is an awesome album). I saw him at the Alrosa Villa which is where Dimebag Darrell was shot and killed. I’ve only been there twice. The other time was to see Fee Waybill of The Tubes. It was a cool concert space, wider than it was deep. Horrible bar. And it was in a weird location. They didn’t survive the pandemic and the building was demolished last year. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Deal is brokered. Trump doesn’t run, desantis pledges to appoint trump as SoS.  

What in the actual fuck happened to this thread today? 

Also what the fuck is the comment I quoted? 

/fuck

12 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Jeez. We’re discussing show tunes and musicals. Get with the program.

FIFM.

I love musicals. It's quite a bit due to my late mother. She grew up so unbelievably poor but managed as a teen to secure a job as a popcorn girl at the one cinema in her two-bit town. She was entranced and who could blame her. Later in life when she and my dad had saved up enough money, she went all in on supporting the arts and artists. She would go to any exhibit, any ballet or opera or theater performance and just soak it all up. My oldest could sing the words to "On The Street Where You Live" (from My Fair Lady) before she was three. Probably because it was sung to her by her doting grandmother. I love that Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jonathan Larsen, as well as others, have continued to push the boundaries on musical theater. It's just wonderful. All this human emotion has to express itself somehow and I'd much rather watch and sing and feel along with the artists than shoot something or someone.

Trump as Professor Harold Hill? I don't see it. Harold Hill had a conscience and was capable of feeling guilt and compassion. I don't think Donald Trump would've been as nice to Winthrop nor would he have had any doubt about grabbing Miss Marian by her private parts. The sales technique, perhaps, but as was pointed out, that is nothing new.

Modern day River City probably gave Miss Marian the ax for having those CRT books on the shelves, Winthrop was likely beaten to a pulp for being a ginger (in the movie version), and Mayor Shinn, Fox news fan that he is, would welcome Trump with a River City Rally.

9 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

The only thing that could fuck that up is if Trump refuses to go quietly into the night.

It’s whatever makes him the most money.  He discovered politics is easy money, which is bad for the GOP. Shit, he raked in hundreds of millions to Fight The Steal, then sat on it or funneled it to his properties/allies.  

If he doesn’t run, he has to have his hand in the piggy bank somehow - he tried to take over the GOP purse strings.  Could be as simple as pumping a ton of events/money into Trump properties or paying him to show up and speak.  He also has to be fully respected and defended by whoever the GOP nominates.  One slight whiff of disrespect or not defending his beliefs (namely that he was robbed in 2020) and he turns his PACs into the MAGA party and a shitload of money and votes heads his way.

If he runs MAGA party, he’s going to wreck the GOP.  And it’s a legacy that he’d like to have, his own political party 100% about him.  No Liz Cheneys or Mitch McConnells   100% loyalty to him.

GOP has to tread carefully with Trump.

DeSantis has to really tread carefully between now and November, otherwise Trump will work against him in Florida, and if DeSantis loses this November he’s not getting the nod in ‘24.

9 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Trump had a unique ability to bring people into politics that otherwise don't care. I don't know if DeSantis has that. Kind of reminds me when they tried to make 2018 Betomania happen again in 2019-2020 on the national stage

9 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Sure he did.  But now that they are here, they do "care" (their caring is limited to whoever can inflict as much pain on people they don't like) in a sense that someone picks up the torch Trump carried.  DeSantis (or someone else) will do that with glee.

He brought plenty of people into politics - I checked records of quite a few Trump supporters I know and quite a few weren’t voting much prior to 2016 or even 2020.

Counterpoints to them being here and mattering:

• Trump spent the last few years telling them how crooked elections are and that he loses only if they are rigged.  He lost and then spent the last 18 months telling his followers the elections were rigged.  Why vote if you think it’s rigged?
  • January 6 happened, and the outcome wasn’t changed. Does Trump matter in their eyes if the people around him aren’t willing to destroy democracy to keep him in power?
  • Republican primaries could see some ugliness if candidates distance themselves from Trump, even as he demands they kiss his ring.  DeSantis is basically ignoring Trump and not asking for his endorsement. If Trump demands he kiss the ring and DeSantis’s data/polling people say ignore him, it’ll get ugly.  
  • Trump could endorse somebody who isn’t the front runner, simply because they kissed his ass.  We’ve seen this already in various ‘22 primaries.  
  • Shitload of them died of old age or COVID. Could matter in a few select states.  
  • Some, even if only a small amount, did not get what they wanted or things got worse or whatever, and they aren’t enthusiastic anymore.  He did wreck plenty of MAGA jobs.  Some still worship him, but plenty may not.
  • He does get them wet excited in a way that DeSantis doesn’t, and DeSantis is a part of the swamp.
  • They got SCOTUS nominees in place, plus Roe v Wade knocked down. Plenty are satisfied and will call it a day.
  • A whole lot of states are going to have Rs up and down the ballot that aren’t exciting at all. 
  • Qanon fell apart and is reduced to looking for JFK or JFK Jr in Dallas.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He brought plenty of people into politics - I checked records of quite a few Trump supporters I know and quite a few weren’t voting much prior to 2016 or even 2020.

He does get them wet excited in a way that DeSantis doesn’t, and DeSantis is a part of the swamp.

DeSantis has the performative 'owning the libs' part down though, and that is worth a few points. I don't know how well that will translate nationwide until Fox weighs in.

• Rage+1 1

Now trump has said he "thinks he is on trial" on The Fourth of July.  Please just let me live long enough to see that worthless bastard go to prison for just a small part of the evil crooked shit he has done.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-thinks-he-is-on-trial-as-america-celebrates-independence-day-weekend/ar-AAZ8Oor?cvid=0110a9822d714e2f821995d94da31a09

Edited by AnTiM
add link

Trump is also reportedly considering declaring his 2024 candidacy as early as this month — and may not even inform his staff before he posts it on Truth Social.

Also on Saturday, The Washington Post editorial board called upon Attorney General Merrick Garland to investigate Trump.

"The Justice Department has investigative powers that the Jan. 6 committee does not, and there are critical questions that remain unanswered. Mr. Garland should have no higher priority than using these powers to investigate all of those involved in one of the darkest days in American history," the editorial board wrote.

Yeah, maybe a good idea. 

• Hook 'Em 1

When Trump declares his candidacy for the 2024 election, will everyone who insisted he wouldn’t run in 2024 step forward and admit they were horribly, horribly wrong?
I don't know if I fall into the group you're talking about. I've always thought he'd hint at running as long as possible, but never seriously pursue the position.

But I've been wrong so often the past several years, I don't know why I wouldn't admit it this time. I've gotten pretty good at it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

A DeSantis v Trump primary scenario could bring the jokes. Especially if it includes Trump saying the primary was rigged, like we he lost in Iowa w Ted Cruz.

One scenario is Trump runs until he cant, so he can continue to fundraise and self promote. Then the GOP has to save him or he’ll crash them (quicker than he is doing already).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You’re adorable. Trump apologists never admit they were wrong.

I have been unsure Trump would run again, and, of course, hopeful that he would not, or would not win the primary.

I am far from an apologist.

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

A DeSantis v Trump primary scenario could bring the jokes. Especially if it includes Trump saying the primary was rigged, like we he lost in Iowa w Ted Cruz.

One scenario is Trump runs until he cant, so he can continue to fundraise and self promote. Then the GOP has to save him or he’ll crash them (quicker than he is doing already).

I think one of the only things that could save us, and I think it is VERY unlikely, is if dotard were to run 3rd party.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Wasn’t the Georgia AG supposed to announce wether Trump was getting charged with a crime at the end of June or are we to wait 2 weeks?  

I don't recall a date-specific, even to the month.  She (Fulton County DA) said a charging decision could come as early as the first half of the year, but just last month empaneled a special grand jury.

I don't recall a date-specific, even to the month.  She (Fulton County DA) said a charging decision could come as early as the first half of the year, but just last month empaneled a special grand jury.

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis told the Associated Press that she expects to come to a decision on whether her office will charge the former president by June 30 for allegedly attempting to overthrow the results in Georgia.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-may-charged-trying-overthrow-election-end-month-1714783

It could be her not wanting it to get lost over the Holiday weekend if that’s possible given the case. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Fan fic here, but maybe there’s a nonzero chance that him announcing a 24 run would spur the small number of republicans that had hoped to weather the storm and have him go away relatively quietly, into some action against him?  At the RNC level or Mitch or someone else with some power?

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Fan fic here, but maybe there’s a nonzero chance that him announcing a 24 run would spur the small number of republicans that had hoped to weather the storm and have him go away relatively quietly, into some action against him?  At the RNC level or Mitch or someone else with some power?

Stop.  Just....stop.

sarcastic-laugh.gif

They had two chances and did nothing. They’re scared shitless of his moronic base. 

On 6/30/2022 at 11:16 AM, TexPx said:

This is a David Byrne show tune.

On 6/30/2022 at 3:56 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Wow. I haven’t seen that video in years. I don’t think I even knew who John Goodman was at the time. That’s, well, wild. 

AlarmingSourArrowcrab-size_restricted.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

I think the best case scenario is Trump losing the primary, and running as a third party candidate. Maybe I’m wrong, but at this point that’s the only path to victory for a democratic candidate that I can see. Obviously there’s a lot of time for things to happen between now and then 

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement