A story about a pathetic man's downfall

Francisco 2.0

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Never in the history of this country have so many people relied on the government remaining stable and the lights staying on. When you talk about civil war, you are talking about a situation where everybody involved could lose access to their bank accounts, their pensions, Social Security, medical care, medicine, food distribution, and the list goes on.

For fucks sake, these people lost their fucking minds over not getting a haircut at Supercuts or dining in at Chili’s during the COVID pandemic, and you think they will risk their bank accounts, their Social Security payments or pensions or paychecks, their medical care, their internet access, etc.?

The flaw in your reasoning is that it assumes MAGA extremists are rational. 

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

we have no idea how it's going to play out, but it bears zero resemblance to the 60s.

this time, the government are the sympathetic heroes.

We don’t, but we know most people rely on the government remaining stable and the lights/electricity staying on just to get by month-to-month - the amount of people in this country who live paycheck-to-paycheck or Social Security payment-to-Social Security payment is staggering.  We’ve seen glimpses of what happens when things break down a little (winter storms and hurricanes come to mind).

But we can guess.  Right now, there are Republican legislators in Texas vowing to go after women who leave the state for abortions, as well as individuals or companies who support them.  We see Republican officials in Florida and Texas threatening to go after teachers who don’t teach the things they like (or teach what they don’t like).  We see Republican officials in various states vowing to make life hell for gay people.

We won’t get militias shutting down the governments and knocking down power lines and cutting off the banks and setting up roadblocks and looking at the social media of people they stop or shooting at people whose social media profiles they don’t like.  Instead, we will get states where these dipshits are in power, who try to make life miserable for the people they hate, using every legal means at their disposal.

9 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The flaw in your reasoning is that it assumes MAGA extremists are rational. 

How many MAGA extremists can survive without a paycheck or disability payment or Social Security payment?  Or how many can survive without their mom getting one of those things?

I’m sure more of the people you are talking about will get a suicide by cop death in their future, but not in the kinds of numbers where it really matters, otherwise we would have seen it already.

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

There will be a blue wave.

There will be majorities in House, Senate, and Biden in the White House.

ACB, Kavanaugh, and Thomas will be removed OR Biden will expand to 13 judges.

Every. Single. Traitor. will be punished.

I'm a realist but I'm as optimistic now as I've been in a long time.  

The gigantic grinder that is the U.S. Government has turned its attention to Trump and the republicans.  It's over, Johnny.

53 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

giphy.gif

29 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'll have some of what you're smoking.

27 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Preach Amy Poehler GIF by Sisters

Best When Harry Met Sally Ill Have What Shes Having GIFs ...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

We’ll find out their real priorities when they’re ordered to shoot friends and family to defeat a movement they support. 

It’s like some of y’all have been living under a rock the past few decades. Civil wars are not impossible. They’re not even rare. That shit happens routinely and once it does, the pre-war norms of society collapse. Peacetime friends become wartime enemies. Read about life in post-Tito Yugoslavia or post-Ba’ath Iraq or post-colonial Rwanda. People are typically shocked at how quickly civil society turns into a backstabbing bloodbath. 

America is not immune. If anything, we’re more primed for a civil war now that at any time in the past 150+ years.

I was in LA for the Rodney King riots. It confirmed what I'd always suspected. Order is but a very thin veneer over waiting chaos. The social agreement is vulnerable to any strong wind.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

There will be a blue wave.

There will be majorities in House, Senate, and Biden in the White House.

ACB, Kavanaugh, and Thomas will be removed OR Biden will expand to 13 judges.

Every. Single. Traitor. will be punished.

I'm a realist but I'm as optimistic now as I've been in a long time.  

The gigantic grinder that is the U.S. Government has turned its attention to Trump and the republicans.  It's over, Johnny.

From your keyboard to God’s ears. That would be amazing. But I don’t share your optimism. 

11 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Good thread:

tl;dr - DOJ may have just did this to get the documents and may not press charges unless they have an additional charge they can bring (like obstruction)

If that is the real endgame, I don't buy that Biden wasn't told.

I feel like "search warrant" would not be the political expedient way to recover government property.

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

I was in LA for the Rodney King riots. It confirmed what I'd always suspected. Order is but a very thin veneer over waiting chaos. The social agreement is vulnerable to any strong wind.

The optimists presume rational calculation of self-interest and choices that account for the predicted consequences of one’s actions. But angry mobs don’t have foresight. 

I mean we can sit here all day rationalizing why civil war won’t happen. But civil wars happen all the time, despite the fact that they’re rarely consistent with the self-interest of the partisans involved.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Let’s establish that having Trump for a client would be a nightmare. His legal team has always been kooks and incompetents. He doesn’t pay bills, he would absolutely not listen to counsel, and he’d make your firm toxic for anyone outside MAGA-land. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 8/13/2022 at 1:33 PM, Biff Tannen said:

The BORDER CRISIS!!!111! is amazing to me.  It's the dumbest boogeyman there is and yet it continues to work decade after decade.

Racism "built" and sustained this country.

Many (far too many) are fighting for racism to continue to be the primary threads that make the fabric of the nation. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

they’re rarely consistent with the self-interest of the partisans involved.

The GOP has built an entire voting bloc to prove your point. It all seems to come down to poorly informed emotion. That's why I had to detach from getting too interested in political outcomes. I was foolishly looking for reason.

There you go. CNN giving equal time and what is effectively equal weight to absolutely irrelevant drivel to balance a story about the fucking Villain in Chief stealing documents that don't belong to him, claiming he returned them all, hoarding top secret national security secrets in his goddamn gilded Xanadu, and squealing like a pig when the adults come to remove them. Oh, and lying his ass off the whole time to federal authorities (Martha Stewart's lie was about insider trading and she got prison, BTW.)
Oh, and one last thing, Hilary Clinton submitted to questioning and investigation without inciting her followers to kill FBI agents or anyone else. But that doesn't even matter because it's a different issue used as a distraction.
Thank you CNN for sticking to your lazy template and not daring to make an obvious editorial decision.

CNN and Fox are poisoning generations of Americans with their dribble.
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

There you go. CNN giving equal time and what is effectively equal weight to absolutely irrelevant drivel to balance a story about the fucking Villain in Chief stealing documents that don't belong to him, claiming he returned them all, hoarding top secret national security secrets in his goddamn gilded Xanadu, and squealing like a pig when the adults come to remove them. Oh, and lying his ass off the whole time to federal authorities (Martha Stewart's lie was about insider trading and she got prison, BTW.)

Oh, and one last thing, Hilary Clinton submitted to questioning and investigation without inciting her followers to kill FBI agents or anyone else. But that doesn't even matter because it's a different issue used as a distraction.

Thank you CNN for sticking to your lazy template and not daring to make an obvious editorial decision.

steve-buscemi-fuck-all-that.gif

I appreciate that CNN hasn't devolved into becoming Fox/OAN/NewsMax for the "other side." Yes, CNN can be incompetent at times (OK, maybe a lot of times) but I do appreciate their attempt to maintain some sense of journalistic integrity. Having worked for nearly a decade in mainstream media, it was easy to see that American media has always slanted a bit to the left at least within the news departments but there are ethics -- and consequences for misstatements and/or fuckups big or small. You'll never see CNN or the New York Times/WaPo/etc use an excuse like Fox did in the lawsuit that was brought against Tucker Carlson. And I'm glad for that.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The African Americans in the military are a self-selected sample, not a random sample of African Americans in general. Same with any demograhic. IOW, just because 92% of AAs support Biden, doesn't mean that 92% of AAs in the military also support Biden. Same for hispanics, young, whoever.

Full well understand that, but it cuts both ways and at 92% to 8% the odds are it cuts well more toward the 92 than the 8.  I would take my chances that if you could sample the 25% in the military you ain't gonna find that 25% being comprised in some massively meaningful way of the 8%. 

51 minutes ago, Constant said:

I’m hesitant there. Have you seen the clips of all the morons lining the streets near mar-a-lago?

How many was it? I saw one that looked like a couple of dozen people. 

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

Results like these, and Kansas abortion proposition, are why I think Trump's popularity has crested.

Agreed in terms of numbers.  They've peeled off a lot of the people who went along with racism for a perceived tax cut.  But the ones who are left are louder and more violent and more disconnected from reality. And they're still a significant percentage of our population.  His base is lesser in number, but these are people,  who are not rational.  Yes, they get upset by the most minor inconvenience (see face masks during a global pandemic), but they're also radicalized, and at this point since they're a-ok with treason, nothing is going to persuade them back to reality.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, to be fair, and I was among the first to jump on the "five days," it is not uncommon to couple an arrest with the execution of a search warrant.  It happens with some frequency in drug, gun, and child pr0n and other cases, where the search warrant is kind of the culmination of the investigation and the fruits of the warrant are the smoking gun.

But there's still some dots to be connected here.  I'd hate to think that the principal purpose of the warrant was simply to secure sensitive documents, but I guess I can't quarrel with the legitimacy of it. 

Here, though, I would expect more grand jury subpoenas of witnesses, including and especially those that participated in the prior subpoena response, to determine who knew what and why the subpoena was not properly responded to.

And that could very well lead to indictments, including of TFG.  Or maybe indictments of lower-levels will cause them to turn on Trump.  We do know that the feds are skilled, probably to a fault, in investigating offenses by indictment.

I do find it possibly questionable that there would be two indictments of Trump, for this and for 1/6.  Although they're not necessarily related, they might be and I would think just one indictment is preferable.

I'll take the shit for my five days comment, but each day that nothing happens is one more day for his supporters to make up more lies and excuses, for the republican party to deflect and lie as well, and for the general public to move on as just another thing in a long list of Trump things that he continues to get away with.

40 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

But angry mobs don’t have foresight.

Cue up footage of FA&FO:

Post Trump Rally Sub-Freezing Temperatures

Post Capitol Riot Arrests

Post Anti-Mask Protesters in Hospital ICU on Ventilator

Not only do angry mobs (of any type) lack foresight, a lot of the individuals lack hindsight too. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Covri said:

I'll take the shit for my five days comment, but each day that nothing happens is one more day for his supporters to make up more lies and excuses, for the republican party to deflect and lie as well, and for the general public to move on as just another thing in a long list of Trump things that he continues to get away with.

It is difficult and infuriating because the norms have been violated and the GOP and GOP activists fill the vacuum with the lies and excuses to which you refer. They know what they are doing, but it is going to be difficult enough without the DOJ joining them in breaking protocol and going against the way things are usually done with respect to 'happenings.' In some ways, I believe that further weakens the DOJ much like when the Supreme Court took the on ramp to bartertown and then doubled down on it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Covri said:

Hence my theory that the justice system works too slowly to have any effect in today's world of the internet and social media.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Active duty on Jan 6?

Probably not many if any left wherever they were stationed to riot.  But a significant number of radicalized trumpers are still in the military.  And what happens when violence breaks out and the National Guard is called in to keep the peace?  Or if the GQP is back in power to "keep the peace"?  

Just now, lemonlime said:

Probably not many if any left wherever they were stationed to riot.  But a significant number of radicalized trumpers are still in the military.  And what happens when violence breaks out and the National Guard is called in to keep the peace?  Or if the GQP is back in power to "keep the peace"?  

I would expect they will follow orders. You really think they are trying to get shot?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, lemonlime said:

It was a long time ago, but I have always been amazed at how the Nat'l Guard protected the Selma-to-Montgomery march, seeing as how those guardsmen might have been friends and family with the people trying to attack the march.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

It was a long time ago, but I have always been amazed at how the Nat'l Guard protected the Selma-to-Montgomery march, seeing as how those guardsmen might have been friends and family with the people trying to attack the march.

UCMJ don't fuck around

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Constant said:

I’m hesitant there. Have you seen the clips of all the morons lining the streets near mar-a-lago?

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

That's different, though. The DC rally was supposed to be a planned-out show of strength and support.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna42306

lol at media outnumbering number of protestors supporting fatfuck.  In the real world they’re outnumbered.  They are vocal and have tons of bots and Russian support online but the reality is far different.  

5DE6B012-8F0D-43D0-98FB-1947487B6387.png

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'd hate to think that the principal purpose of the warrant was simply to secure sensitive documents, but I guess I can't quarrel with the legitimacy of it.

Here’s my question: If the purpose of the warrant was not to indict but rather to just secure sensitive documents, wasn’t there another way to repossess the documents other than use the FBI?

Specifically, is there any way that the warrant could have been enforced by another federal agency—one that just mentioning their name doesn’t automatically trigger so many people? Or perhaps it could have been enforced by state authorities, even though it originated on a federal level?

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

When is the last news story of an active duty military getting in trouble for right wing dumbassery? It’s pretty rare 

Way back you had the one enlisted Muslim guy shoot up some fort.  Was that representative of some deep seeded problem?  Hell no.  Just like the one off dipshits attacking the FBI isn’t some large threat lurking around the corner.  

1 minute ago, Cacti said:

Here’s my question: If the purpose of the warrant was not to indict but rather to just secure sensitive documents, wasn’t there another way to repossess the documents other than use the FBI?

Specifically, is there any way that the warrant could have been enforced by another federal agency—one that just mentioning their name doesn’t automatically trigger so many people? Or perhaps it could have been enforced by state authorities, even though it originated on a federal level?

Yeah I’d definitely trust the state authorities in FL.  Lulz

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

counterpoint - cnn viewers do not worry me. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

• Bozo_Casanova changed the title to Poll: President Trump's Major Announcement