Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 minute ago, Octavian said:

Agreed - think Wiggins is the best technical teacher of the candidates and will have Devonta Smith as a trophy on the wall for recruiting. We’ve never had problems recruiting athletic receivers, just problems teaching them to get open. If you go back through scouting reports on most of the Bama receivers (Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, Metchie, Waddle), they seem to indicate all were athletic/ball skill freaks but needed to improve route running. Now, nearly all of them are getting drafted for being freakish route runners. I’d rather have that and have Sark/TE recruiting witch hire take care of the recruiting side.

I know we hate Art Briles around here but his approach was to go get the most athletic and fastest receivers he could find and coach them up. If you have a great developer at the WR coach then you can do this well. Look for long athletic receivers in the 2022 class that can blaze.

I will never not giggle just a little bit when I think about Texas hiring away the OL coach that the twins who shall not be named committed to.  Its what I'll do when I'm not drinking away the pain of the last decade of Texas football.
Fuck the Unnamed Family
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I will never not giggle just a little bit when I think about Texas hiring away the OL coach that the twins who shall not be named committed to.  Its what I'll do when I'm not drinking away the pain of the last decade of Texas football.

I would pay $200 to see Saban hire Herb Hand.  $500 to see their reaction. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think the story is that Muschamp is going there as an analyst and that he would eventually be expected to get the DC job - either by Lanning leaving or getting pushed out.  I don't know how legit the story is - but I have seen more than a few 'reporters' mention that Muschamp would likely be DC there at some point.

Thanks

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I know we hate Art Briles around here but his approach was to go get the most athletic and fastest receivers he could find and coach them up. If you have a great developer at the WR coach then you can do this well. Look for long athletic receivers in the 2022 class that can blaze.

I wouldn't necessarily equate Briles with developing WRs. His scheme had 3 or 4 routes for WRs, now he did create freak athletes and they would run past people because you couldn't double them all, but his WRs flamed out pretty quickly in the NFL.

50 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm not pissing on the Gideon hire, but it seems like Bobby is inflating the value of his "institutional knowledge of the University and the state."  I get that he's the son of a high-school coach.  But how does that and four years as a player a decade ago translate into this valuable "institutional" knowledge?  Of course playing football for the Longhorns and being on staff are vastly different experiences, and most of his coaching experience has been in the SEC, with only one year in Texas (2019 on Holgo's Houston staff).  

If you're trying to hire coaches with this "institutional knowledge," I'm not sure Gideon brings the value that Bobby is touting. 

Maybe. I think it probably falls somewhere between where you and Bobby have it. He's played in the Cotton Bowl. He's played in Lubbock. He played with top in-state DB talent in his time here and was all-state at the high school level in Texas. He knows what it's like going to class at UT and partying at UT. He knows what it looks like first hand when Texas is a national title contender. 

This was obviously years ago and times have changed but I'm sure there's SOME value from his time at UT as it translates to being a position coach and recruiter. He can start sentences with "When I was at UT...", "What I liked best about UT...","I decided to go to UT because..."

Now - is that "institutional knowledge"? Not really. Should it elevate him over other candidates? Not really.

I guess what I'm saying is I get where Bobby is coming from - even if he didn't eloquate it.

51 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm not pissing on the Gideon hire, but it seems like Bobby is inflating the value of his "institutional knowledge of the University and the state."  I get that he's the son of a high-school coach.  But how does that and four years as a player a decade ago translate into this valuable "institutional" knowledge?  Of course playing football for the Longhorns and being on staff are vastly different experiences, and most of his coaching experience has been in the SEC, with only one year in Texas (2019 on Holgo's Houston staff).  

If you're trying to hire coaches with this "institutional knowledge," I'm not sure Gideon brings the value that Bobby is touting. 

Honestly I think the doors his dad can open being a TX HS football coach are more valuable than any "institutional knowledge."  I guess he does already know "The Eyes of Texas" so that's something

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Honestly I think the doors his dad can open being a TX HS football coach are more valuable than any "institutional knowledge."  I guess he does already know "The Eyes of Texas" so that's something

Think he’s been retired awhile but yea sure the network is still there

23 minutes ago, Octavian said:

Agreed - think Wiggins is the best technical teacher of the candidates and will have Devonta Smith as a trophy on the wall for recruiting. We’ve never had problems recruiting athletic receivers, just problems teaching them to get open. If you go back through scouting reports on most of the Bama receivers (Jeudy, Ruggs, Smith, Metchie, Waddle), they seem to indicate all were athletic/ball skill freaks but needed to improve route running. Now, nearly all of them are getting drafted for being freakish route runners. I’d rather have that and have Sark/TE recruiting witch hire take care of the recruiting side.

Yeah plus Wiggins will have the easiest recruiting pitch of all time going forward - "Hey, in my last two years I had 4 1st round picks and the first WR Heisman in decades. Want me to teach you?" Wiggins would be a great hire.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Maybe. I think it probably falls somewhere between where you and Bobby have it. He's played in the Cotton Bowl. He's played in Lubbock. He played with top in-state DB talent in his time here and was all-state at the high school level in Texas. He knows what it's like going to class at UT and partying at UT. He knows what it looks like first hand when Texas is a national title contender. 

This was obviously years ago and times have changed but I'm sure there's SOME value from his time at UT as it translates to being a position coach and recruiter. He can start sentences with "When I was at UT...", "What I liked best about UT...","I decided to go to UT because..."

Now - is that "institutional knowledge"? Not really. Should it elevate him over other candidates? Not really.

I guess what I'm saying is I get where Bobby is coming from - even if he didn't eloquate it.

He's not that far removed from being a scholarship athlete at Texas. Much closer to the current player experience that Giles or Boulware. I like having 1 or 2 guys on staff that are alums. Of course, that could easily be on or off field coaching roles.

We have already found out the following about Surly posters
1. We are all "insiders" with BMDs for best friends and hunting buddies.
2. Everyone on here is a culinary wizard, capable for producing briskets that would make Aaron Franklin slit his own wrist.
3. No poster (Vic Mackey excluded) has ever fucked less than a 10...12 if you grade on a curve.
4. We are better talent evaluators than most of the free world, regardless of what we are evaluating.
5. Everyone (Futureman excluded) guaranteed Urban Meyer to Texas.
And now you want us to expose the lies about our dick size as well? Haven't we all suffered enough over the last 10 years?

6.) Everyone has a massive hard on for how much money the Texas athletic department has, to the point they enjoy it more than actual Texas athletics.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, you all know a few of us are more than willing to finance some Grade A level trolling...

I wonder what it would cost to make Hamm the director of recruiting in college station. I'm positive we could crowd source enough to make that happen

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, the obvious answer is that the guys writing the checks were willing to write checks for Urban Meyer. Once you move on from a Ferrari to something less than that, well, price tags and expectations are adjusted accordingly. It's not like everyone venmo'd a bunch of money into a checking account a month ago and told Harztell and CDC to do what they do. This shit works on handshakes and trust. 

I signed a commitment letter to commit money to the AD. Actually signed something. And during covid, I talked to our AD contact and discussed whether we might need to defer a payment or extension. And he pretty more or less said "Yeah, man, I mean we can't actually make you pay anything, so...we understand. Do your best, we'll work something out if we need to..."

And I guarantee you no Boosters signed any piece of paper, be it simple or complex, committing them to monetary responsibility...especially BEFORE anyone was hired. And probably not ever. 

Well Nicole's contact apparently ponied up more money then he originally committed to for Meyer so.....

Just now, gmr548 said:

6.) Everyone has a massive hard on for how much money the Texas athletic department has, to the point they enjoy it more than actual Texas athletics.

I mean, the athletics haven't been that enjoyable with the football performance of the last decade.  There's been a couple of good moments and plenty of embarrassing ones.  What else should we hang our hat on?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I read it the same way. He knows the culture of the state and university.

Like when that northern company bought Whataburger, but then hired a bunch of Texans for their board.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Hope you're wrong, or at least your reasoning is.  If Muschamp would rather take the Texas DC job than an analyst job under Saban because the analyst job would be too stressful and the UT job would be an easier path, then I don't want him.  Fuck that pussy ass mentality shit.

Lighten up francis. We know who Muschamp is as a coach and a recruiter so he doesn't have to prove he's a man anymore. During the Urban stuff many people were quoted saying it would be difficult for Meyer to pull the guys he likes because it's such a fucking beating working for him. Are those guys pussies? Are they garbage now? I don't think so honestly, they are on the brink of a champiohship. Working for Saban has to be a long rigorous mind fucking from start to finish. Sark on the other hand seems to be a much calmer guy and wants to focus on offense. To each their own though bro.  

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I wonder what it would cost to make Hamm the director of recruiting in college station. I'm positive we could crowd source enough to make that happen

Maybe he could sweeten the pot by throwing in some pool cleaning services for the TAMU swim team?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Richter said:

I mean, the athletics haven't been that enjoyable with the football performance of the last decade.  There's been a couple of good moments and plenty of embarrassing ones.  What else should we hang our hat on?

Beat me to it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Lots of people seem overly concerned about our WR coach. All our choices look great. I don't think we can do wrong unless we open the door to a new dark horse candidate like Coleman. DC is a little scary because we really don't have any clue who is coming here. My concern though is CB coach where I hope to hell that we can bring in Raymond. He would immediately make our DB room one of the best in the nation.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Uh just to be clear, CTJ never guaranteed Urban to Texas and I was the sole non-troll in the Urban or Bust thread to actually state repeatedly that he said no and wasn’t coming. And at the same time I reveled in the greatness of the Urban or Bust thread praying I was dead wrong. 

Lulz.

C144D24F-3FC8-46E4-A1A3-A4F024BC35B8.gif

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Speaking of....do you feel like more schools will start going that right in having that kind of role within their football program? 

Personally, no? If for no other reason than there's probably only a half dozen dudes in the country (and I don't include Barton) who work in the 995/recruiting rankings world that could actually do that job. Many of those fucking dudes just aren't that good. Can you see someone employing Demetric Warren or Mike Roach? 

Gerry Hamilton could fucking do that job, and kill at it. I'm sure there's a few other dudes as well. Or course, there's also the consideration that what makes someone like Gerry so good at his job (in part) is all the travelling and connections he has nationwide. You tie ANYONE down to an office in the city of a college they're working at, well, they're certainly travelling less and seeing less kids in person nationally. Even if Barton actually ends up being a good idea, which it won't, I'm guessing his knowledge and value drops after a few years of not being at 247. Then he's just calling and getting info from the same shitty guys like Mike Roach and Demetric Warren types. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Lots of people seem overly concerned about our WR coach. All our choices look great. I don't think we can do wrong unless we open the door to a new dark horse candidate like Coleman. DC is a little scary because we really don't have any clue who is coming here. My concern though is CB coach where I hope to hell that we can bring in Raymond. He would immediately make our DB room one of the best in the nation.

Of all the names listed I feel confident in any of those guys mentioned below as DC.

Ash

Freeman

Arnett

Muschamp - Even though it's reported he turned it down

How bad is Waddle's injury? Is it possible that he declares or does he need to show everyone in the NFL that he is back and healthy? If we get the Alabama WR coach, is there a chance Waddle would follow him?

---Futuremanned

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Personally, no? If for no other reason than there's probably only a half dozen dudes in the country (and I don't include Barton) who work in the 995/recruiting rankings world that could actually do that job. Many of those fucking dudes just aren't that good. Can you see someone employing Demetric Warren or Mike Roach? 

Gerry Hamilton could fucking do that job, and kill at it. I'm sure there's a few other dudes as well. Or course, there's also the consideration that what makes someone like Gerry so good at his job (in part) is all the travelling and connections he has nationwide. You tie ANYONE down to an office in the city of a college they're working at, well, they're certainly travelling less and seeing less kids in person nationally. Even if Barton actually ends up being a good idea, which it won't, I'm guessing his knowledge and value drops after a few years of not being at 247. Then he's just calling and getting info from the same shitty guys like Mike Roach and Demetric Warren types. 

I'm not asking about 9.95ers specifically just the GM type role for a college team.

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Pretty sure Sark is in negotiations with Geoff Ketchum right now.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm not asking about 9.95ers specifically just the GM type role for a college team.

Well, I'm not sure what "GM" is entailed in his role at Vandy. I just assume he's basically Derek Chang. 

LSU toyed with the GM model with the guy who's now at aTm, they're bag man. Name is escaping me. The bald motherfucker who was at LSU and then almost/briefly at Tennessee. So...I mean, it seems like it but also seems like slow going?