Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

I expect we will start a downward spiral starting this horrible day. A few winning seasons but declining.  The Aggies will already have placed their jack-booted foot on our collective neck. Then the collapse. Five year losing streak.

We start praying for the climate cataclysm to relieve us of plague-ridden existence.

As the seas rise to cover the dessert that was once called Texas, a few final Longhorns find their hovels flooded. They have no fate but drowning.

The last breath of the last surly Texan to disappear beneath the implacable water looks to heaven.

Why not Dominick Mckinley, Lord?

The man resignedly vanishes into the roiling sea. The cruel sky remains silent as always.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

I think this is the selling point/difference in this one. 

It's strange how some recruits and their families ignore other data points and incidents that don't fit their moral compass.  But that's what elite recruiters do, minimize and explain away abhorrent behavior and incidents with the team, while finding, emphasizing and hand feeding the recruit and especially their families, the exact things they want to hear. Plus, the smaller town thing was probably a pretty big factor for mom. 

I know Austinites don't always see it, but that same attraction which is a big selling point to a lot of people is also a negative to a lot of other people. There is something about being to park your car easily anywhere in the city, not fighting traffic and congestion everywhere that can be appealing.  It's not a coincidence this gets brought up more often from guys coming from smaller towns.

• Hook 'Em 2

I would feel worse about this if we didn't already have D'antre Robinson and Alex January in the boat. Obviously it would be better to have McKinley as well, but those two players represent a solid DL haul, with Hills as a development piece. I'd still like to pull in one more guy if McKinley isn't going to Texas in light of how many guys we probably lose after this season. 

Are there any other DL that we're seriously pursuing, or are those three the HS class for 2024 and we'll see who hops in the portal?

18 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

So what do yall think the highest this class could finish now? Top 8-9ish?

5 to 7 range is my prediction. Wingo, Black and Baker are still out there with Mack softly committed to Florida. You get 2 or 3 of those guys and you are for sure in the top 8 considering all the other players still out there (Zina, Lair, Okoye, Williams, etc).

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Park Gothic said:

I would feel worse about this if we didn't already have D'antre Robinson and Alex January in the boat. Obviously it would be better to have McKinley as well, but those two players represent a solid DL haul, with Hills as a development piece. I'd still like to pull in one more guy if McKinley isn't going to Texas in light of how many guys we probably lose after this season. 

Are there any other DL that we're seriously pursuing, or are those three the HS class for 2024 and we'll see who hops in the portal?

aside from a late senior riser, thinking it'll be more continuously trying to flip McKinley or the portal.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

aggy purchasing the 2022 class doesn't make Robinson any worse or better of a flat-out recruiter.

I don't have a dog in this fight. We lost the guy for whatever reasons, doesn't change much for me. He gone. 

But am I wrong when I point out that there are a lot of bought players on that list? It doesn't mean the coach can't recruit, and it doesn't mean McKinley is chasing bags. But that doesn't mean I have to ignore the data point. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I don't have a dog in this fight. We lost the guy for whatever reasons, doesn't change much for me. He gone. 

But am I wrong when I point out that there are a lot of bought players on that list? It doesn't mean the coach can't recruit, and it doesn't mean McKinley is chasing bags. But that doesn't mean I have to ignore the data point. 

he's a really damn good recruiter, full stop.

image.png.53c4c2ec07282eeba40ec944356e6746.png

you seem to be thinking he is Dameyune Craig, he isn't.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, texifornia said:

And Baylor did all of the things Baylor did. Self-righteousness can lead you to overlook some awful behavior.

Assuming that by virtue of enrolling at A&M, it makes you a morally superior human being, is Penn State levels of self righteous delusion and sets you up for failure.  Penn State had an infallibly benevolent grandpa figure, aggy has a code they let do all your ethical heavy lifting.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

So let me get this straight.

Mom has been in education and supposedly her son graduating and being taken care of and developed is important.  Soooooo they pick aggy….

-Jimbo’s team is full of cancers.  How many kids were kicked off the team?  I’m sure the players have their bibles on in the locker room while they smoke weed before games.  Legit… they had players smoking before games in the locker room.

-  they don’t go to class

-  coaches are racist and assholes

-  team went 5-7 last year

-  their DL coach that was responsible for developing their players died (rip).

yeah… makes a lot of sense.  This why I don’t take recruiting seriously anymore.  Very likely Dom will have a new DL coach and new head coach in 2 years there.   Very likely he will be surrounded by mercenaries that don’t go to class. 

They lie to recruits. About everything.

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.8802abbf4f825e79ffa14fe26b8c59ce.png

Yeah I think yall are right, just got beat. I'll concede. 

Half that list comprises players A&M essentially won at auction over Georgia, Bama, and the other usual suspects.  Robinson may be terrific but a commitment list gives a false impression.  

That said, this appears to be a win on the merits so kudos to the farmers.  

6 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Except it really isn't. It's just like anywhere else, but the delusion is even more rampant.

And I remember the story involved more than one person making this pitch, but I know one of them was the comandante or field marshall or whatever the fuck they call the main guy in charge of the corp. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Can we stop with the College Station is a small town bullshit? Bryan - College Station population is well over 200k. 75k students. For reference, the population of Sugar Land is 109k. 

We got beat. aggy sold Uncle Dindy's Bible Bonkers Bullshit and it worked. 

What’s this kid gonna do when jimbo cusses his ass out with f-bombs flying at him?

Can we stop with the College Station is a small town bullshit? Bryan - College Station population is well over 200k. 75k students. For reference, the population of Sugar Land is 109k. 

This post is so misleading it isn't funny. You just compared apples to potatoes. Sugarland is a direct Suburb of Houston with well over 4 million if not 5 million people. Besides....I live in Tomball with a population just over 10K yet we are building our 3rd 6A high school. Population numbers in a suburb of Houston are meaningless compared to CS. Drastically different places no matter how you spin it. I've spent plenty of time in Lafayette, I would say CS is less frantic and certainly has less traffic.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Hook 'Em 2

Kid is comparing CS with the Austin Metro population of 2.4M+... now one is saying CS is a small town, but certainly a much, much smaller town feel than Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

From secrant:

Everything just moved to A&M. Wiltfong changed his pick just now as did Sam Spiegelman.  

I haven't seen anything from that Hank South guy yet but may have missed it. The parents apparently told Steve Sarkisian that they were out of the running.

????

What do you think it means

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

And I remember the story involved more than one person making this pitch, but I know one of them was the comandante or field marshall or whatever the fuck they call the main guy in charge of the corp. 

Commendatori, like a commander, I like that, that's respect.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Would love for this to once surprisingly go our way. Can’t even think the last time a recruitment like this surprised us last second for the good guys.  

That’s a product of how our 9.95ers work. When you pump kool-aid for almost every realistic target, the surprises can only be bad ones.

2 hours ago, squeegeedegg said:

SEC schools are going to lean into the Southern Christian culture and iconography more and more…

…Small towns throughout the American south are built around Church/God, Football, Family;

I thought that Sherman leveled all that shit on his victory tour through the SEC.

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Would love for this to once surprisingly go our way. Can’t even think the last time a recruitment like this surprised us last second for the good guys.  

Payton Kirkland kind of came out of nowhere a few days before announcing for us.  Not a 5 star, but still very highly regarded at the time and a surprise in our favor.  Never even visited campus before committing if I recall.  But yeah, these typically don't seem to go our way.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Under-the-table “NIL” > real NIL. 

No, fucking stop it. Next person to say stupid shit like this is getting negged. How have yall not learned yet

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol at all the dipshits who ran back to "bag game" like a fucking woobie they clutch while sucking their thumb. 

Sometimes we're just going to lose a recruitment. Jesus. 

Major Facts

3 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

You mean like when we all tuned into Gerry Hamilton holding up a motorola razr two weeks ago watching Colin Simmons announce?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

So let me get this straight.

Mom has been in education and supposedly her son graduating and being taken care of and developed is important.  Soooooo they pick aggy….

-Jimbo’s team is full of cancers.  How many kids were kicked off the team?  I’m sure the players have their bibles on in the locker room while they smoke weed before games.  Legit… they had players smoking before games in the locker room.

-  they don’t go to class

-  coaches are racist and assholes

-  team went 5-7 last year

-  their DL coach that was responsible for developing their players died (rip).

yeah… makes a lot of sense.  This why I don’t take recruiting seriously anymore.  Very likely Dom will have a new DL coach and new head coach in 2 years there.   Very likely he will be surrounded by mercenaries that don’t go to class.  

also… I really like IT.  I think they have solid info.  I also they pump out non stop kool aid likely coming from the staff that is always optimistic on recruits.  They have been very wrong a lot the last 2 years.

I feel like this has been said a thousand times. What a recruit says when they mean education and what we think of when we think of education are two very different things. Their focus is on academic support staff and ability to get pushed through the program and wind up with a degree.

As much as UT will provide support, UT CS isn’t something you get pushed through or even into all too easily (though I’m sure for a 5* athlete they could look the other way on a couple hundred SAT points). The level of rigor compared to an A&M or LSU or OSU type CS program is night and day.

There’s a reason you don’t see the athletes mentioning education go in droves to Georgia Tech and wind up at schools like LSU or A&M. Neither are terrible schools by any means but they’re not what anyone would call great institutions of higher learning outside of their respective states. 

11 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

I feel like this has been said a thousand times. What a recruit says when they mean education and what we think of when we think of education are two very different things. Their focus is on academic support staff and ability to get pushed through the program and wind up with a degree.

Maybe he's actually interested in a good education and A&M is a pretty good school and, like all Aggies, likes things weird and not in a good way.

• Hook 'Em 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls