Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

31 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Regarding Cruz, when does he start pushing for the starting gig? I could see Majors playing a 6th year at Texas easily. Hell, Christian Jones did and he probably have been drafted. 

I would be a mildly surprised if Majors returns but who knows. I think the plan is to have Hutson and Robertson compete for that role if Majors leaves. Depending on how that goes, Cruz could get into the mix in 2025 or 2026.

Edited by Vertigo

4 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

D'Antre Robinson said he isn't sure what he told On3's Florida guy about telling Florida he wasn't sure if he'd make it to another game.  

This sounds like one of my relationships where I confronted her and she says she doesn’t remember what she told the other guy

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Regarding Cruz, when does he start pushing for the starting gig? I could see Majors playing a 6th year at Texas easily. Hell, Christian Jones did and he probably have been drafted. 

13 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I would be a mildly surprised if Majors returns but who knows. I think the plan is to have Hutson and Robertson compete for that role if Majors leaves. Depending on how that goes, Cruz could get into the mix in 2025 or 2026.

Pretty sure he's a redshirt junior. Not sure if you guys are expecting him to declare for the draft... but I guess he's that good. 

Other than that crazy 4th down where Quinn and Sanders were nuts to butt and the ball flopped out and Brooks ran for a first down, not sure we've had any really bad snaps so far from Jake, that's worth something.

Not even sure that was on him tbh, did Sark ever explain what was supposed to happen on that play?

55 minutes ago, ousux said:

Other than that crazy 4th down where Quinn and Sanders were nuts to butt and the ball flopped out and Brooks ran for a first down, not sure we've had any really bad snaps so far from Jake, that's worth something.

Not even sure that was on him tbh, did Sark ever explain what was supposed to happen on that play?

It's just the way QB sneaks are run now, with someone behind the QB pushing him forward. The Eagles popularized it with Hurts, and now everyone (in college, where the QB is less valuable) runs it. From the highlights I've watched recently, one team even had two guys pushing the QB.

It's just the way QB sneaks are run now, with someone behind the QB pushing him forward. The Eagles popularized it with Hurts, and now everyone (in college, where the QB is less valuable) runs it. From the highlights I've watched recently, one team even had two guys pushing the QB.
I thought so, but Quinn dove forward without the ball suggesting it may be some supar sekrat through the legs straight to Sanders type trickery. In any case we got lucky on that one.

As much as I hate the Eagles, I appreciate the play. For the last however many years we've seen offenses challenge defenses by making them defend as much space as possible 6-7000 square yards of territory. And now almost paradoxically we're back to figuring out how to defend 1 yard directly on front of the ball.

Football is a beautiful game

7 hours ago, ousux said:

7 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

It should never be explained.

hey arnold nicksplat GIF

7 hours ago, ousux said:
7 hours ago, TotallyLegit said:

I thought so, but Quinn dove forward without the ball suggesting it may be some supar sekrat through the legs straight to Sanders type trickery. In any case we got lucky on that one.

Quinn just forgot the most the important thing in a qb sneak. He thought it was the sneak. In fact, though, it is the ball.

• Haha 1

That jalen hurts play was stopped one time during the bucs game. I remember seeing it and saying no way, thought it was a guarantee. Hope they get rid of it. I think Hill should be the one with the ball if we need a hard. Give it to him and he will find a hole…maybe the wrong one but it will be found. 

7 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

That jalen hurts play was stopped one time during the bucs game. I remember seeing it and saying no way, thought it was a guarantee. Hope they get rid of it. I think Hill should be the one with the ball if we need a hard. Give it to him and he will find a hole…maybe the wrong one but it will be found. 

bench presenting GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, Vertigo said:

assuming no injury the guy will have started 40 straight games at Texas and have the ability to come back for a senior year.

...you think Kyle Flood is going to process a guy with 40 straight starts for 2 guys who combined have 0 and couldn't unseat the incumbent for any of the last 2 years?

come on man.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Vermin said:

Football Formations: Stack i formation

The Bush push now being legal I'm surprised teams aren't more aggressive in turning the game into rugby.

Put the RB at the front of this I formation and have 2 OL behind him to push the scrum forward. How do you not average 3 yards per rush?

They could put in some Mary Lou Retton looking dude and have Collins throw him forward for about 5 yards.

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

assuming no injury the guy will have started 40 straight games at Texas and have the ability to come back for a senior year.

...you think Kyle Flood is going to process a guy with 40 straight starts for 2 guys who combined have 0 and couldn't unseat the incumbent for any of the last 2 years?

come on man.

This. 

(Gerry Hamilton) Updated Longhorns Visitor List: Kansas at Texas

The visitor list for the No. 3 ranked Texas Longhorns game against Kansas continues to build at the mid-point of the week. Steve Sarkisian and staff are scheduled to host at least one official visitor this weekend, and a five-star wide receiver committed elsewhere will be back on campus for a second straight home game. Inside Texas provides the latest visitor list for Saturday with the group of attendees expected to expand in the next couple of days.

Texas commitments scheduled to attend

Trey Owens, QB, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair – #AllGasNoBrakes

Jerrick Gibson, RB, Gainesville (Fla.) IMG Academy – #AllGasNoBrakes (*maybe)

Parker Livingstone, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy – #AllGasNoBrakes

Freddie Dubose, WR, Schertz (Texas) Smithson Valley – #AllGasNoBrakes

Daniel Cruz, OL, Richland (Texas) North Richland – #AllGasNoBrakes

Alex January, DL, Duncanville (Texas) High – #AllGasNoBrakes

Colin Simmons, EDGE, Duncanville (Texas) – #AllGasNoBrakes (*maybe)

Jordon Johnson-Rubell, DB, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy – #AllGasNoBrakes

Santana Wilson, DB, Scottsdale (Ariz.) Desert Mountain – #AllGasNoBrakes

Texas 2024 targets scheduled to attend

Deandre Carter, OL, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei – *Auburn commit (*official visit)

Solomon Williams, EDGE/LB, Tampa (Fla.) Carrollwood Day – *Maybe

Kobe Black, CB, Waco (Texas) Connally – *Maybe

2025 targets and prospects scheduled to attend

Dakorien Moore, WR, Duncanville (Texas) High – *LSU soft commit

Jackson Christian, OL, Port Neches (Texas) Port Neches-Groves  

Devin Harper, OT, Shreveport (La.) Captain Shreve

Maliek Hawkins, DB, Frisco (Texas) Emerson

Justin Wells contributed to this story.

Sam Spiegelman: Five-star CB Kobe Black 'making some progress' toward a decision, details timeline

WACO, Texas — There’s only a handful of five-star recruits left on the board in this 2024 class. That group includes Kobe Black. The On3 Industry Ranking five-star cornerback is five games into his senior season at Waco (Texas) Connally High School and is doing his part at multiple positions on offense, special teams and in the secondary to extend this run as far as it can go. Simultaneously, Black is balancing his recruitment. The No. 3-rated CB in the country told On3 he’s in touch with Oregon, Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Alabama and Colorado “a little bit, too.”

After several official and unofficial visits this summer, Black continues to power ahead and move further along toward a decision. “I’m finally starting to make some progress,” Black told On3. “I’m not there, but I’m almost there, though.” “I’m still trying to make sure I’m 100 percent on my commitment,” he added. “I don’t want to decommit and commit somewhere else; I want to make sure I’m making the right decision.”

Black ‘making some progress’ toward a decision

Black’s focus since August has been on the Cadets of Connally. The No. 25 player in the country is making progress toward his college decision but is in no rush to make that pact just yet. While he’s inching toward the finish line, he has bigger items on his agenda to tend to as he mulls over his options. “I’m worried about this season and about winning with my high school team right now. I’m trying balance to out, but I’m worried more about high school (team) right now,” Black explained.

The schools in pursuit are also in the midst of their own seasons. They’re recruiting Black hard, but also giving him space at the same time. “They want me to make plays and to have fun, have fun during my last year of high school,” he said.

Black talks Texas, Texas A&M, Oregon

Black hasn’t made any college visits to date so far this college season. That’s expected to change this weekend. The On300 cornerback from Central Texas is expected to return to The Forty Acres for the Longhorns’ tilt vs. Kansas. He’s been high on the play of the Texas defense so far this season. “I’m watching them play, watching some of my old teammates play,” Black told On3. “They’re still recruiting me hard and showing a lot of love. They’re just fast playing physical and having fun out there.”

“They’re telling me I can be like Ryan Watts, another big DB like me, a boundary corner,” he continued, “and they’re saying that I can come in, and if keep my head on straight and keep working hard, I could come in and play early.” Black was at Texas A&M in July and is also expected back in College Station for a game-day visit next month. “They stay in touch almost every single day and communicate with me, and that’s really big with me,” the five-star CB said. “They’ve been staying in touch with me every day.”

The Ducks have also remained heavily involved with the 6-foot-2, 190-pound defender. Oregon’s defense has caught Black’s attention in a big way this season. “As you can see, the way they’re playing, the way their defense is playing … they’re playing really, really good,” Black said. “It kind of speaks for itself.” Black is the No. 7 player from the Lone Star State in the 2024 cycle, according to the On3 Industry Ranking, a weighted average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, NoName said:

come on man.

Read closer dumbass. 2025 or 2026 is not next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Read closer dumbass. 2025 or 2026 is not next year.

i'm talking about next year, when you mentioned Hutson and Robertson competing and that you would be mildly surprised if Majors returns. i can't see a guy leaving who gets a 5th+ round draft grade but sure. maybe he will lol. there has been a ton of discussion by posters here talking about Flood processing out Majors which is dumb.

image.png.4f22af1d1c621c0670f14c25708b2299.png

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

i'm talking about next year, when you mentioned Hutson and Robertson competing and that you would be mildly surprised if Majors returns. i can't see a guy leaving who gets a 5th+ round draft grade but sure. maybe he will lol. there has been a ton of discussion by posters here talking about Flood processing out Majors which is dumb.

Sorry, was talking about coming back for a super senior season. I really doubt he leaves this year, one more season in the S&C program and he could actually turn into a dominant center with an upper mid round grade. 

19 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Sorry, was talking about coming back for a super senior season. I really doubt he leaves this year, one more season in the S&C program and he could actually turn into a dominant center with an upper mid round grade. 

Majors redshirted in 2020, right? I get confused with how the COVID rules apply, but I think right now he is a redshirt junior. So I guess he's definitely back next year for his 5th year, and then maybe he could get a COVID super super senior year even though he redshirted that year (Idk, someone can correct me).  Either way, he's starting until he leaves. 

3 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Majors redshirted in 2020, right? I get confused with how the COVID rules apply, but I think right now he is a redshirt junior. So I guess he's definitely back next year for his 5th year, and then maybe he could get a COVID super super senior year even though he redshirted that year (Idk, someone can correct me).  Either way, he's starting until he leaves. 

Everyone essentially got a redshirt year in 2020. It was a free year whether you had already taken your redshirt or not. Majors was going to redshirt anyway so didn't really impact him. He has a 5th and final year available to him next year.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, ousux said:

Why would he explain? It was a fumbled snap on a QB sneak. Pretty simple stuff. If you'd like to discuss further I hear there are entire websites devoted to conspiracy theories.

Why would he explain? It was a fumbled snap on a QB sneak. Pretty simple stuff. If you'd like to discuss further I hear there are entire websites devoted to conspiracy theories.
If Quinn had not dove forward like he had the ball there would be nothing to discuss. I rewatched the game Monday and even the guys in the booth watching slow-mo replays we're having trouble figuring out what happened.
My guess is Quinn was well aware he didn't have the ball but Sanders was already doing the Bush push so he couldn't exactly find where it went.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Everyone essentially got a redshirt year in 2020. It was a free year whether you had already taken your redshirt or not. Majors was going to redshirt anyway so didn't really impact him. He has a 5th and final year available to him next year.

Does anyone have a list of remaining players with a covid shirt on roster?

1 hour ago, NoName said:

I believe Bobby or Gerry at one point said that thought he would just move on to the business world. In a NIL world, who knows though. Texas is going to have a handful of guys that may stay. Majors, Crawford, and even Catalon have COVID options. I am sure I missing some others. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Does anyone have a list of remaining players with a covid shirt on roster?

My tracker assumes that everyone that is eligible for an extra Covid year uses one. For example, Jake played 2020-2023 without using a redshirt (no RS after his name), so he can use his Covid year in 2024. Since he has one year remaining, I list him as a Junior even though 2023 is year 4 with no redshirt.

image.thumb.png.f926800dd71aea3eab73ddcad8bd7f21.png

• Hook 'Em 6

11 minutes ago, AP101S said:

My tracker assumes that everyone that is eligible for an extra Covid year uses one. For example, Jake played 2020-2023 without using a redshirt (no RS after his name), so he can use his Covid year in 2024. Since he has one year remaining, I list him as a Junior even though 2023 is year 4 with no redshirt.

image.thumb.png.f926800dd71aea3eab73ddcad8bd7f21.png

FWIW, the UT website says he only played in 4 games and redshirted in 2020. I don’t remember if that’s actually true.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

FWIW, the UT website says he only played in 4 games and redshirted in 2020. I don’t remember if that’s actually true.

It’s true. Kerstetter played, and struggled at center for much of 2020. After he got hurt, Majors slipped in and played the rest of the season. 

• Rage+1 1