Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Unbelievable 

1696986476053.png

Got to replace that other 5 star WR that is going to decommit to go play with Prime… That money is got to be spent on a WR because…. Reasons…. It doesn’t matter that picking up 1 or 2 average OL in the portal would have a massive impact on that team, overloading on prospects at deep positions is the right way to do things 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

Got to replace that other 5 star WR that is going to decommit to go play with Prime… That money is got to be spent on a WR because…. Reasons…. It doesn’t matter that picking up 1 or 2 average OL in the portal would have a massive impact on that team, overloading on prospects at deep positions is the right way to do things 

Are you drunk? WR?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Unbelievable 

1696986476053.png

Eh, I’d love to have him but that’s mainly because Gerry said he was underrated.  Otherwise he’s depth behind Simmons and has the size measurements of a tweener like Finkley.  If A&M chooses to deploy money here and that helps keep more dry powder for Kobe Black or Mack then that’s probably a win for UT.  

7 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Eh, I’d love to have him but that’s mainly because Gerry said he was underrated.  Otherwise he’s depth behind Simmons and has the size measurements of a tweener like Finkley.  If A&M chooses to deploy money here and that helps keep more dry powder for Kobe Black or Mack then that’s probably a win for UT.  

McKinley is the one that stung, but as it is now I won't give a second thought to losing Williams. I get the sense from hearing Gerry that McKinley wasn't being honest with the coaches, and that usually doesn't bode well long term for that player. Those guys tend to have a higher flame out rate. I would still really like to get another disruptor on the inside out of HS this cycle, but we are in late senior riser territory right now so I am not sure how realistic that is. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

McKinley is the one that stung, but as it is now I won't give a second thought to losing Williams. I get the sense from hearing Gerry that McKinley wasn't being honest with the coaches, and that usually doesn't bode well long term for that player. Those guys tend to have a higher flame out rate. I would still really like to get another disruptor on the inside out of HS this cycle, but we are in late senior riser territory right now so I am not sure how realistic that is. 

McKinley is absolutely going to be a whiff. All the signs are there.

1) HS production is mid

2) Reports that he doesn't actually like football

3) Going to a school that can't develop 5 stars

4) Reports of character concerns

4 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

This thread...

potpourrijeopardy.jpg

Hey, to my late grandmother who suffered from Alzheimer's and dementia, the potpourri bowl was just filled with bad tasting/textured candy.

Now that I think about it, this thread resembles much of her erratic and illogical behavior, recently.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

McKinley is absolutely going to be a whiff. All the signs are there.

1) HS production is mid

2) Reports that he doesn't actually like football

3) Going to a school that can't develop 5 stars

4) Reports of character concerns

You want to know how I know you have children at home?

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Williams and Simmons would play on opposite sides of the line. On a previous post I shared an IT video with highlights of Simmons, Williams, and Umeozulu. Simmons is incredible, but Williams is also really impressive. As we showed against OU, we need more speed on both edges.

My pecking order would be Simmons>>Williams>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Umeozulu.

On 9/14/2023 at 8:16 PM, BornOrange said:

Solomon Williams would be a great bookend to go along with Colin Simmons.

In this video, Gerry Hamilton and Rod Babers talk about Ethan Burke and breakdown video of Colin Simmons, Zina Umeozulu, and then Solomon Williams.

I have it set at the Solomon Williams discussion, but looking at the video I would have them ranked (1) Simmons (2) Williams (3) Umeozulu

Here is the video I referenced above.

8 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Williams and Simmons would play on opposite sides of the line. On a previous post I shared an IT video with highlights of Simmons, Williams, and Umeozulu. Simmons is incredible, but Williams is also really impressive. As we showed against OU, we need more speed on both edges.

My pecking order would be Simmons>>Williams>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Umeozulu.

I’m basing my conclusion more on what they appear to be recruiting for (and I’m aware that one of the reported strengths of the Kwiatkowski defense is a record of using a lot of different athletic types on the line)-it looks like they are looking for one end to be high twitch but will accept some size limitations on one side.  

On the other they are looking for length.  I don’t know if that’s a concession to the fact that getting two blue chip rushers on the field at the same time is a luxury or if the longer end has a different role.  

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Byron Murphy was a late senior riser if I’m not mistaken. Much less heralded than his teammate. 

28 minutes ago, tokamak said:

We've had good luck stealing guys from Baylor. Murphy, Duvernays, Jahdae Barron.

as of right now the only Baylor commit with an offer from Texas is the #37 player in Mississippi and lowest ranked DL with a Texas offer Alex Foster. they must have gone a different direction from the Rhule "get great athletes and teach them to play football/hope it all comes together" strategy under Dave Aranda.

here is their commit list: https://247sports.com/college/baylor/Season/2024-Football/Commits/ - they only have 2 dudes in the Texas top 100 at the moment (Jadon Porter is an ATH and Joseph Dodds who is a RB) and only have 2 more dudes in the Texas top 150 (#107 and 137)

super weird class thats #60 overall right now and #11 in the conference, ahead of only Utah who has 10 commits, Colorado who has 9, BYU, Houston and KSU. all of whom have fewer commits

image.png.636f0d4ba0c986bfcad6a177bdb880e4.png

image.thumb.png.f08ad604956ee6cabd68f5d0c3beb805.png

Duvernay was the composite #37 player overall and got out of his NIL due to the Briles stuff. Committed to Texas in June 2016 and enrolled like 2-3 weeks later.

Barron was #349 in the composite overall but 247 had him at #128. he signed with Baylor but got his release and was a very very late add to the Texas class (committed 4/30/20 and enrolled 5/4/20)

image.png.98838f3800084005d9eb235392144af0.png

Murphy was a late flip - committed to Baylor for like 5 months, committed the day he was offered and sign on NSD1 in 2020

image.png

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 4

58 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Correct. I believe it was Patrick Hudson that signed (but later got out of) his Baylor NLI and then flipped to Texas.

The man responsible for the Silsbee, TX navigation talk. Feel like he'd be in the list of productive "steals" if he hadn't been so snakebit with injuries. 

Wasn't Hudson a medical issue where he couldn't handle the heat and then had to medically retire?  Ended up in the hospital at one point if I remember correctly