Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

20 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Grew up in Florida, parents got divorced, moved to Texas with dad. Texas wants him to visit but with his dad. Should happen.

Apparently Hank wrote that Xavier Filsaime is done with visits after the Florida vs FSU game… 

Edited by CowboyFred

12 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I was making a factual statement. Taafe sucks as a starting safety in the P5.

Maybe. But the sad truth is no matter what, he’s still better than having Crawford and maybe even Thompson out there. That’s just reality. 

I can’t believe I’ve had to suffer defenses fielding Blake Gideon, Dylan Haines, now now Michael fucking Taffe at safety. In the last 15 years. Fuck me. 

• Haha 5
  • Rage+1 3

27 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I immediately thought of that play watching it live last week.  Still too soon.

I have never rewatched that play or that game.  But my thought at the time was the missed tackle probably was inconsequential.

Had he been tackled or forced out of bounds, there was still time on the clock.  Tech even had a timeout.  They would have just lined up for a 20 yard field goal and won by 2 instead of 6.

I guess I would have liked the chance for a bad snap, hold, block, shank, but that's a FG that is made 95% of the time.

Edited by Frank Drebin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe. But the sad truth is no matter what, he’s still better than having Crawford and maybe even Thompson out there. That’s just reality. 

I can’t believe I’ve had to suffer defenses fielding Blake Gideon, Dylan Haines, now now Michael fucking Taffe at safety. In the last 15 years. Fuck me. 

7ad644ebd1071a50448b838e3ea39029.jpg

42 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I have never rewatched that play or that game.  But my thought at the time was the missed tackle probably was inconsequential.

Had he been tackled or forced out of bounds, there was still time on the clock.  Tech even had a timeout.  They would have just lined up for a 20 yard field goal and won by 2 instead of 6.

I guess I would have liked the chance for a bad snap, hold, block, shank, but that's a FG that is made 95% of the time.

That was my thought.  Really the only way to win would have been for them to slow him down enough to run a couple of seconds off the clock and then tackle him.

Seeing Conner come in at LT for Banks during the K-State game should probably dispel any notions about Conner getting displaced barring a major leap in pass protection and general blocking awareness from Neto/Hutson.

Conner may not be the most effective blocker, but he GENERALLY knows what is going on and who he should be blocking.

• Hook 'Em 1

Some recruiting updates from Horns 247 (Hank South & Jordan Scruggs).

Spoiler

HORNS 247

WHAT'S NEXT AFTER CARTER REAFFIRMS COMMITMENT TO AUBURN?

On Tuesday, big Auburn offensive line commit DeAndre Carter reaffirmed his pledge to the Tigers, effectively eliminating Texas from contention.

Of course, nothing is signed and there are a few weeks to go until the Early Signing Period begins, but, for now, it appears as though the Longhorns need to pivot on how they’re going to fill the fourth offensive line spot in the class of 2024.

New names could emerge, but a pair of prospects Horns247 has been told to keep an eye on are LSU commit Ory Williams, a four-star tackle from San Marcos, and Texas Tech commit Jacob Ponton, a four-star tackle out of Dripping Springs.

Of course, both are already committed, a theme of Texas targets down the stretch. But when the Longhorns come calling for local prospects, most, at the very least, listen.

Sources are conflicted as to what either will do if Texas presses.

Ponton was in attendance for the Red River Shootout but isn’t going to take an official visit down U.S. Highway 290 without an offer from the staff. If that unfolds, you have to imagine he’d be on flip alert ahead of December. He camped on the Forty Acres in the summer and got a lot of face time with the coaching staff.

As for Williams, he holds a Texas offer but has appeared fairly steadfast in his pledge to the Bayou Bengals. Florida State is also working to flip the big, 6-foot-6-inch, 320-pounder. One advantage for schools in pursuit is San Marcos’ season is already over, freeing up weekends for Williams leading up to mid-December.

Texas does indeed want to try and take four offensive linemen. They have three: Brandon Baker, Daniel Cruz, and Nate Kibble. Whether they turn to the portal to bring the fourth could be determined in the next few weeks, depending on the aforementioned names and/or who is available in the portal. — Hank South

NEW CRYSTAL BALL PREDICTION IN FAVOR OF TEXAS

The Longhorns’ staff has shown time and time again that they know when to make a strong push in recruiting. They’ve shown no signs of slowing down as Calhoun (Ga.) 2025 four-star tight end Emaree Winston is the latest prospect for whom Texas is surging.

The 6-foot-1.5-inch, 235-pounder attended the Red River Shootout as a Texas visitor just weeks before welcoming him to Austin for a multi-day unofficial visit for the Kansas State game. While on campus, Jeff Banks and Co. made great strides with the Georgia native as they pitched him on the opportunity of being Texas’ next Ja’Tavion Sanders while also getting to play in the SEC next to several top-notch playmakers in Steve Sarkisian’s offense.

The pitch has resonated well with Winston and his circle. He told Horns247 earlier this week he’ll be releasing his top three on Nov. 24 and then “committing right after.”

With that said, I’ve joined Horns247’s Hank South and Irish Illustrated’s Tom Loy in entering a 247Sports Crystal Ball prediction in favor of Texas with a confidence level of ‘6.’

Winston will visit Ohio State this weekend for the Buckeyes’ game against Michigan State and he hopes to make it to Tennessee on Nov. 18 for the Vols’ home game against Georgia. If Texas is able to stay top-of-mind following those visits, Winston is likely to be the highest-rated tight end Sarkisian and his staff have landed in their three seasons in Austin. — Jordan Scruggs

• Hook 'Em 5

54 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Any chance he would like to play a little left guard for the rest of the season?  Maybe get him some reps if we get a lead and see how it looks?

Banks Williams Majors Campbell Jones, left to right, would gruntle me.

How did Agbo do?

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

Seeing Conner come in at LT for Banks during the K-State game should probably dispel any notions about Conner getting displaced barring a major leap in pass protection and general blocking awareness from Neto/Hutson.

Conner may not be the most effective blocker, but he GENERALLY knows what is going on and who he should be blocking.

I think Conner may be a better tackle than guard. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Maybe, but with a minus wingspan and below average mobility, that would be much less than desirable at Texas. 

Swing tackles that can play the occasional role Karic did is not a bad player to have it looks like Neto and company can excel at G.

Even if he can become a solid starter at RT wouldn’t be the end of the world.

4 hours ago, Atticus said:

it's almost like the guy who has coached OL for almost 30 years knows what he is doing?

we hear about how shitty Conor and Majors are, but they have started every game possible under Flood.

i am going to choose to listen to Kyle Flood over Chucklefuck98167 who has 15,000 posts on here.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7