Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

Croot Playoff Reactions

Spoiler

The Longhorns have punched their tickets to the College Football Playoff for the first time in program history. Waiting will be the Washington Huskies in the Sugar Bowl on New Year's Day.

Texas targets and commits are excited about the news and shared their reactions with Horns247.

We'll keep this list growing as more reactions come in.

In case you missed it, Horns247's Jordan Scruggs gathered reactions from recruits after the Longhorns' Big 12 Championship win.

WR Parker Livingstone, Texas commit -- "The team and culture that Coach Sark has put together is truly amazing. Can't wait to be there and see what they do!!"

DL Melvin Hills, Texas commit -- "I’m happy for the guys. They deserve it. They been working. We all knew this was the season they been grinding for it. Washington's a good team but Texas going to win by at least 10 points."

2025 QB KJ Lacey, Texas commit -- "Crazy how everything went down. Seems like everything was just set up perfectly for this year. Won the Big 12 championship, now in the playoffs. But you know it’s time to get in that playoff mode and take care of business. Hook’em."

Edge Alex Foster -- "They deserved it, but the Tide making it over FSU was crazy."

2025 WR Taz Williams Jr. -- "Texas deserved to be in it. They got a special team this year . They are deep and got a great staff that can win different kinds of ways. They can win the whole thing!"

2026 RB Javian Osborne -- "Big time for the program making the playoffs. They deserve it definitely. Washington isn’t a team to look over. They have some playmakers on the offensive side of the ball and the defense just has to be ready because they can either air it out or get dirty and get the ground anad pound going."

2026 Edge Shaun Scott -- "I feel like Texas making the playoffs is big. I like what Coach Sark is doing with the program and turning Texas into a winning culture. It’s also big because I have a great relationship with Edge Coach, Coach Jaqc, he believes in me and wants to expand my game at Texas. ... I also like how Washington is building their program, like how it used to be, and handling business."

2025 S Jontae Gilbert -- "Texas has something to prove. They are going to win the natty hands down."

2025 CB Caleb Chester -- "It definitely gives it a boost on in my recruiting cycle! And I really think they have a chance at winning a Natty. And keep getting back to the playoffs in a lot of more seasons to come."

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

Croot Playoff Reactions

Hide contents

The Longhorns have punched their tickets to the College Football Playoff for the first time in program history. Waiting will be the Washington Huskies in the Sugar Bowl on New Year's Day.

Texas targets and commits are excited about the news and shared their reactions with Horns247.

We'll keep this list growing as more reactions come in.

In case you missed it, Horns247's Jordan Scruggs gathered reactions from recruits after the Longhorns' Big 12 Championship win.

WR Parker Livingstone, Texas commit -- "The team and culture that Coach Sark has put together is truly amazing. Can't wait to be there and see what they do!!"

DL Melvin Hills, Texas commit -- "I’m happy for the guys. They deserve it. They been working. We all knew this was the season they been grinding for it. Washington's a good team but Texas going to win by at least 10 points."

2025 QB KJ Lacey, Texas commit -- "Crazy how everything went down. Seems like everything was just set up perfectly for this year. Won the Big 12 championship, now in the playoffs. But you know it’s time to get in that playoff mode and take care of business. Hook’em."

Edge Alex Foster -- "They deserved it, but the Tide making it over FSU was crazy."

2025 WR Taz Williams Jr. -- "Texas deserved to be in it. They got a special team this year . They are deep and got a great staff that can win different kinds of ways. They can win the whole thing!"

2026 RB Javian Osborne -- "Big time for the program making the playoffs. They deserve it definitely. Washington isn’t a team to look over. They have some playmakers on the offensive side of the ball and the defense just has to be ready because they can either air it out or get dirty and get the ground anad pound going."

2026 Edge Shaun Scott -- "I feel like Texas making the playoffs is big. I like what Coach Sark is doing with the program and turning Texas into a winning culture. It’s also big because I have a great relationship with Edge Coach, Coach Jaqc, he believes in me and wants to expand my game at Texas. ... I also like how Washington is building their program, like how it used to be, and handling business."

2025 S Jontae Gilbert -- "Texas has something to prove. They are going to win the natty hands down."

2025 CB Caleb Chester -- "It definitely gives it a boost on in my recruiting cycle! And I really think they have a chance at winning a Natty. And keep getting back to the playoffs in a lot of more seasons to come."

A lot of those guys talked about the team culture. 
Pretty cool. 

2 hours ago, D3zii said:

TyAnthony Smith come on down!!!  

I get the feeling that Smith isn't a must have in the coaches' eyes. We have 5 guys better than him in the previous class, and will bring at least one veteran from the portal.

Now McKinley, I can see the coaches picking up the phone if/when he calls.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

McKinely would be a pretty odd duck to not slip in quietly for a Texas visit. 

Ty Smith seems like a done deal with Red Bryant shutting down visits. 

Don't you think he's a pretty odd duck to have committed to aggy in the first place?

• Hook 'Em 1

Few notes from tonight's OTF with Gerry.

-Tyanthony Smith is locked into A&M
-Flood is headed out west to see Deandre Baker to see if we can flip him. He'll also visit commit Brandon Baker
-TJ Lindsey and Texas haven't had any contact in the past few weeks
-Coaches will do an in-home with Filsaime, good chance he will end up back on campus the next week or so
-Derrick Williams will have to sit out the 1st half of the Sugar Bowl unless the Texas appeal is granted
-Justin Williams is basically not happening unless momma puts her foot down and says she's wants him closer to home

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Mother mopar said:

-Tyanthony Smith is locked into A&M
-Flood is headed out west to see Deandre Baker to see if we can flip him. He'll also visit commit Brandon Baker
-TJ Lindsey and Texas haven't had any contact in the past few weeks
-Coaches will do an in-home with Filsaime, good chance he will end up back on campus the next week or so
-Derrick Williams will have to sit out the 1st half of the Sugar Bowl unless the Texas appeal is granted
-Justin Williams is basically not happening unless momma puts her foot down and says she's wants him closer to home

...was Justin Williams ever anywhere close to happening?

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

...was Justin Williams ever anywhere close to happening?

No, but to be fair IT never tried to sell it as such. Justin Wells has always said that Williams was ‘locked in’ with Georgia but that if he did decide to reconsider Texas would the other school he’d consider.  Williams never stopped communicating with the Texas staff. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Are these things ever overturned?

At the game it looked like it was Unnecessary Roughness, but NOT Targeting, unless you wanted to find a play to toss a player

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:

did he clarify something previously said?  because bobby said earlier today that williams can serve that suspension next year and will not miss time in the playoff.

Edited by futureman

I’m excited to see how this class finishes out. I bet there is at least one big surprise with what we just did. I know the Blacks are coming(the brothers), doubt the auburn guys flip, flip at least one AM recruit/player, get XF, get another lineman, and let’s finish top 5. I’m surprised we aren’t using the playoff to make a silent go public but maybe we don’t need anymore momentum right now. 

• Haha 1

Whenever I see posts like this…IMG_0887.thumb.jpeg.241fad7ac3716cbe490e1a0b1db3c3c0.jpeg

I think this…

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Your parenthetical notation isn’t necessarily helping you here

But a little of me channels a bit of Yiddish + German Bier Hall burlesque and these scenes pop into my head as well…

IMG_0883.jpeg.2d58e4ab546007ab8df1d27c0960e2c7.jpeg

IMG_0884.jpeg.d161d6c1896c90d398c505530b744015.jpeg

IMG_0885.jpeg.7de514d3f64a062fb0b3b5c90c2919e7.jpeg

They’re always

Coming and going

And going and coming

And always too soon.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I’m excited to see how this class finishes out. I bet there is at least one big surprise with what we just did. I know the Blacks are coming(the brothers)

Are you talking about Kobe and Korie Black or Moe and Joe Black?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1