Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

Top247 TE Elija Lofton sets date with Texas

Blair Angulo

(Visiting us June 16th.  Miami the week before.)

Spoiler

Blair Angulo

One of the top tight ends in the country has a date locked in with Texas.

Top247 tight end Elija Lofton, the No. 1 rated prospect in the state of Nevada for the 2024 class, plans to get back to Austin next month for another up-close look at the Longhorns after making it to campus back in January.

Lofton, the nation’s No. 16 rated tight end and No. 242 overall prospect in the updated rankings, tells 247Sports he has locked in the June 16 weekend with Texas. He is set to visit Miami, another major contender for his signature, the weekend prior.

With a tentative commitment date of July 8, the dynamic pass catcher from Las Vegas (Nev.) Bishop Gorman has plenty to sort through in the coming weeks. He just took his official to Arizona State this past weekend and will be at Hawaii this coming weekend.

Typically the top players at Gorman come off the board before the season since they don’t take visits on Saturdays due to morning film study, so the upcoming trips could very well be the determining factor in the process.

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound tight end had 18 total touchdowns and averaged over 25 yards per reception as a junior last season. He showed up in a big way with a monster performance against Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei early in the season.

A big-bodied prospect with broad shoulders and a thick lower half, Lofton is a strong and powerful tight end with a multi-faceted skill set. He is an imposing pass catcher with above average hands, flashes good route running ability and has proven to be tough to bring down in space.

Lofton shows a consistent presence over middle of the field to create issues for linebackers, has been a willing run blocker who seals the edge well and demonstrated the sound technique that should make him a three-down contributor at the Power Five level.

6 minutes ago, BERT said:

Did a quick search and let me see if i get this right. We're not going after Tatum from Longview cause he wants to play baseball too? Or is it that Gibson is that much better?

Both. And we want Christian Clark from Arizona as RB2.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So it’ll come down to how Simmons wants his money. Legitimate, clean money from Texas or bags of cash LSU boosters embezzled from a children’s hospital. 

Do they spend differently?

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So it’ll come down to how Simmons wants his money. Legitimate, clean money from Texas or bags of cash LSU boosters embezzled from a children’s hospital. 

Yes, I’m sure the form of payment will be much more important to him than the amount. 

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

One comes with subpoenas and one comes without. 

I find this trope tired. Not because LSU was clean, and we know they did funnel money through a children's hospital. But the FBI has wire recordings of that school admitting to fault, and there were no subpoenas, and I don't think any are forthcoming, as it's been years. And I'm certain they have their own methods now to do NIL the way almost everyone else is going NIL. So the concept that their money is going to be illicit now, while ours is clean, is stupid. Now, maybe some boosters are still dropping money at the poker tables to players on the side, but that's likely to be hundred dollar handshake shit at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I find this trope tired. Not because LSU was clean, and we know they did funnel money through a children's hospital. But the FBI has wire recordings of that school admitting to fault, and there were no subpoenas, and I don't think any are forthcoming, as it's been years. And I'm certain they have their own methods now to do NIL the way almost everyone else is going NIL. So the concept that their money is going to be illicit now, while ours is clean, is stupid. Now, maybe some boosters are still dropping money at the poker tables to players on the side, but that's likely to be hundred dollar handshake shit at this point. 

Granted, but Funes plead guilty and did 33 months standing on his head without giving names. They might not be so lucky next time. 

40 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Granted, but Funes plead guilty and did 33 months standing on his head without giving names. They might not be so lucky next time. 

You missed my point entirely. There probably won't be a next time because there is now an NIL mechanism to do all that shit. Why the fuck would they be laundering money illicitly when it's not necessary? Jesus christ, even aTm has figured out how to organize a collective. 

You missed my point entirely. There probably won't be a next time because there is now an NIL mechanism to do all that shit. Why the fuck would they be laundering money illicitly when it's not necessary? Jesus christ, even aTm has figured out how to organize a collective. 

Because obviously we are an upstanding squeaky-clean operation of great character and every other institution is run by wretched crooks and are all on the verge of being indicted by the FBI. We are good and everyone else is bad.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Because obviously we are an upstanding squeaky-clean operation of great character and every other institution is run by wretched crooks and are all on the verge of being indicted by the FBI. We are good and everyone else is bad.

Finally. Someone who agrees with my worldview. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

billfromlaketravis is one of the comic relief mechanisms on this site that I appreciate. He's like a wrecking ball of non sequiturs and old wive's tales. I have to read his shit two or three times and still wind up looking like this with some of his posts:
200.gif

I had to put that nincompoop on ignore a while back. For reference, I didn't even have Grendel or Bedouin on ignore.
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2023 at 1:23 PM, Getafix said:

Blair Angulo

(Visiting us June 16th.  Miami the week before.)

Reveal hidden contents

Blair Angulo

One of the top tight ends in the country has a date locked in with Texas.

Top247 tight end Elija Lofton, the No. 1 rated prospect in the state of Nevada for the 2024 class, plans to get back to Austin next month for another up-close look at the Longhorns after making it to campus back in January.

Lofton, the nation’s No. 16 rated tight end and No. 242 overall prospect in the updated rankings, tells 247Sports he has locked in the June 16 weekend with Texas. He is set to visit Miami, another major contender for his signature, the weekend prior.

With a tentative commitment date of July 8, the dynamic pass catcher from Las Vegas (Nev.) Bishop Gorman has plenty to sort through in the coming weeks. He just took his official to Arizona State this past weekend and will be at Hawaii this coming weekend.

Typically the top players at Gorman come off the board before the season since they don’t take visits on Saturdays due to morning film study, so the upcoming trips could very well be the determining factor in the process.

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound tight end had 18 total touchdowns and averaged over 25 yards per reception as a junior last season. He showed up in a big way with a monster performance against Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei early in the season.

A big-bodied prospect with broad shoulders and a thick lower half, Lofton is a strong and powerful tight end with a multi-faceted skill set. He is an imposing pass catcher with above average hands, flashes good route running ability and has proven to be tough to bring down in space.

Lofton shows a consistent presence over middle of the field to create issues for linebackers, has been a willing run blocker who seals the edge well and demonstrated the sound technique that should make him a three-down contributor at the Power Five level.

This dude is pretty dynamic. I didn't even know we were in on him.  

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

billfromlaketravis is one of the comic relief mechanisms on this site that I appreciate. He's like a wrecking ball of non sequiturs and old wive's tales. I have to read his shit two or three times and still wind up looking like this with some of his posts:

Steve Brule Confusion GIF

He's a poor man's Bill from Sinton.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

*Fucking hell - just saw the 9.95'er thread - my bad.*

Not sure where to put this - so I'm putting it here:

Mike Roach is off the beat (story of his life)

Hank South is in:

YARN | Oh, boy, is this great! | Animal House (1978) | Video clips by  quotes | 03c40b88 | ç´—

Just now, Vertigo said:

Imagining Roach in a salty sweaty Toyota Camry driving across the state to cover recruiting nationally is pretty funny. Maybe he can subscribe to Gerry Hamilton's patreon and just draft off of his visits. 

Blowing the entire 247 per diem at a Nacogdoches Applebees is probably a major perk of the role.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Imagining Roach in a salty sweaty Toyota Camry driving across the state to cover recruiting nationally is pretty funny. Maybe he can subscribe to Gerry Hamilton's patreon and just draft off of his visits. 

Honestly, the driving around visiting high schools was the one thing he was actually good at. He gets to sit in an air conditioned car all day, talk to TXHSFB corches, and expense huge regional barbecue bills. It's why he gets up in the morning.

• Hook 'Em 4

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls