Identifying Trump rioters

Tuco

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

Maybe you should let him walk all over you at a town hall in which you, yourself purposely pack the audience for.  Fuck you Kaitlin.  You rolled the dice on a bigger career move and fucked it up.  So meantime, shut your fucking mouth.  

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

He’s going to spew a ton of hate from behind bars, probably go extreme white supremest. 

as opposed to casual white supremacy? but seriously, he's already there. hence the judge's comments. his best hope is that the dems wrest control of things nationwide and we move to a more rehabilitative style of incarceration. otherwise he will rot in there. I'm fine with that too.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

we move to a more rehabilitative style of incarceration.

I think this is all but imperative in the near future, but I'm not sure you should count on Democrats to do it.  Tough on crime is a staunchly bipartisan position.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

He’s going to spew a ton of hate from behind bars, probably go extreme white supremest. 

Hard to spew much from ADX Florence.  Nothing quite like a room with a view.  And I disagree, he shouldn't be shot, he should see the gallows; and get this, I"m anti capital punishment!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

as opposed to casual white supremacy? but seriously, he's already there. hence the judge's comments. his best hope is that the dems wrest control of things nationwide and we move to a more rehabilitative style of incarceration. otherwise he will rot in there. I'm fine with that too.

Steve Buscemi Fuck All That GIF - Steve Buscemi Fuck All That GIFs

He's guilty of treason, not jaywalking or goosing his taxes. this stupid motherfucker is beyond rehabilitation. I lean more towards the @Brisketexan approach.

He should be shot in the back of the head and his body dumped at the gate to Mar A Lago. Along with all the rest of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

"The dildo of consequences never comes lubed."

-Abraham Lincoln

As for protecting the Capitol from future insurrection, I'd go with a flame thrower over an AR.

"Don't shoot.  Let 'em burn!"

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/court-sentences-two-oath-keepers-leaders-18-years-prison-seditious-conspiracy-and-other

The Sedition Pirate ‘s running buddy, Kelly Meggs from…….< check notes>…. Florida……was sentenced to 12 years by the same judge who gave the Pirate 18.

His lovely wife

434CD622-90F0-43EE-ABB7-63EF199B4CB7.thumb.jpeg.03abba0323bdb3012273663b30de52b2.jpeg

Connie, was found guilty of obstruction in connection with her hub’s case.  i’m amazed. She looks way too smart to get caught in a lie.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

His (first) flamethrower scene from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was my first thought before I remembered Saving Private Ryan.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

18:years feels a bit light.  Actually, a lot light. This is probably the longest sentence that’s gonna come from this?

Well it is the upper end of the statutory max of 20 years.  So, in that context, it's not light.

That the max is 20 years is somewhat suspect.

On the other hand, I think 20 years should be the maximum sentence for all but the most heinous of crimes.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well it is the upper end of the statutory max of 20 years.  So, in that context, it's not light.

On the other hand, I think 20 years should be the maximum sentence for all but the most heinous of crimes.

I think sedition qualifies as one of the most heinous crimes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm ok seeing these mid-50s guys like Rhodes get 18 years. I don't think he will have too many followers by the time he gets out at 70.

Hopefully his asshole and the rest of his body become a pin cushion while locked up. 

Troy Smocks was sentenced to 14 months in federal prison and banned from the now-dormant social network Parler after he made violent threats on the app in the wake of the January 6th riots. Now Smocks is suing Parler for $370 million, accusing the company of violating a controversial Texas law which bars social media platforms from censoring users for their political beliefs.

Smocks’ Parler posts advocated for the insurrection on January 6th, 2021, and he rallied for more violence the next day. “Over the next 24 hours, I would say lets get our personal affairs in order. Prepare our weapons, and then go get’em,” Smocks wrote on Parler from a Washington, DC hotel on January 7th. “Lets hunt these cowards down like the Traitors that each of them are. This includes RINOS, Dems, and Tech Execs. We now have the green light,” he said.

Months later, Smocks pleaded guilty to making interstate threats, becoming the second person convicted of crimes related to the attempted insurrection. But the lawsuit accuses Parler of banning Smocks “solely because of Plaintiff’s selection and vote casting for a political candidate, then United States President Donald J. Trump.” The complaint makes no mention of the 59-year old’s criminal calls for violence.

The lawsuit, spotted in the newsletter Court Watch, names as defendants Parler, its former CEO John Matze, and Rebekah Mercer, the billionaire right-wing philanthropist who secretly funded the company in its early days.

Matze told Gizmodo he hasn’t been officially served in the lawsuit, and hadn’t heard of Smocks before the case. “From what I read, I feel like he is having trouble accepting his own life choices and is looking to put the blame on others,” Matze said. Parler and Mercer could not immediately be reached for comment.

In Smocks’ home state of Texas, a law passed in 2021 prohibits social media platforms from blocking, banning, or otherwise censoring a user based on their “viewpoints.” It’s a controversial law that experts say flies in the face of the first amendment. The constitution prohibits the government from limiting the free expression of citizens, which includes corporations. Taking down a post or an account is a form of speech. The apparent conflict between the state law and constitutional precedent have not been resolved.

It may not matter in this case, however, because the Texas statute makes a specific exception for speech that “directly incites criminal activity or consists of specific threats of violence.” By Smocks’ own guilty plea, his posts did exactly that. But again, the lawsuit claims Parler only banned Smocks because he’s a Trump supporter. Parler was launched in 2018 as a refuge for conservatives and paid for by Mercer, a major donor to Trump’s political campaigns.

Smocks’ is no stranger to the legal system. He’s racked up 17 convictions since the age of 18, many tied to impersonating a member of the military or police. Smocks’ Parler user name was “Colonel007,” despite the fact that he was never a colonel (or James Bond). During his trial over his January 6th threats, Smocks, who is Black, argued he was being treated more harshly because of his race. Judge Tanya S. Chutkan, who is also Black, called these claims “offensive” during the sentencing.

Parler was one of several online hubs for the insurrectionists and domestic terrorists who planned the January 6th attack on the Capitol. App data, which included GPS tags, showed Parler’s members breaching the Capitol Building. The platform wasn’t thrilled about any of this, and Parler reported the activity to the FBI more than 50 times before the riot. That wasn’t enough to shield the app from post-insurrection fallout. Parler ran into legal trouble and was temporarily banned from the Apple and Google app stores for failing to moderate its platform.

It’s another bizarre entry in the history of an app that’s earned outsized attention compared to the small number of people who ever used it. Most recently, Parler was purchased by a conservative media company, which took the app offline to reassess the business. Unlike the app’s founders, Parler’s new owner Ryan Coyne told Gizmodo he’s interested in running a profitable tech company, not a political advocacy group. How that attitude plays with diehard conservative users remains to be seen.

For a moment, Parler was the darling of conservatives from Sen. Ted Cruz and Alex Jones to extremist groups including the Proud Boys and the Atomwaffen Division, a neo-Nazi domestic terrorist network. But after the troubles stemming from January 6th, Parler fell behind other right-wing social media competitors, including Donald Trump’s Truth Social. In 2022, Ye (formerly known as Kanye West) said he would buy the beleaguered platform, but Parler called off the deal the same day Ye declared his love for Hitler in an interview. In January 2023, Parler laid off nearly all of its employees.

• Haha 1

They literally tried to overthrow the country by violent attack.

Their sentence SHOULD have been dozens of rounds of belt-fed .50 cal ripping their pathetic bodies to shreds in the Capitol corridors.

Anything that leaves them alive is more merciful than they deserve.

They tried to MURDER my country. There is no more heinous crime.
  • Hook 'Em 6

Less than two months after he pleaded guilty to storming the U.S. Capitol, Texas resident Daniel Goodwyn appeared on Tucker Carlson’s then-Fox News show and promoted a website where supporters could donate money to Goodwyn and other rioters whom the site called “political prisoners.”

The Justice Department now wants Goodwyn to give up more than $25,000 he raised — a clawback that is part of a growing effort by the government to prevent rioters from being able to personally profit from participating in the attack that shook the foundations of American democracy.

An Associated Press review of court records shows that prosecutors in the more than 1,000 criminal cases from Jan. 6, 2021, are increasingly asking judges to impose fines on top of prison sentences to offset donations from supporters of the Capitol rioters.

Dozens of defendants have set up online fundraising appeals for help with legal fees, and prosecutors acknowledge there’s nothing wrong with asking for help for attorney expenses. But the Justice Department has, in some cases, questioned where the money is really going because many of those charged have had government-funded legal representation.

Most of the fundraising efforts appear on GiveSendGo, which bills itself as “The #1 Free Christian Fundraising Site” and has become a haven for Jan. 6 defendants barred from using mainstream crowdfunding sites, including GoFundMe, to raise money. The rioters often proclaim their innocence and portray themselves as victims of government oppression, even as they cut deals to plead guilty and cooperate with prosecutors.

Their fundraising success suggests that many people in the United States still view Jan. 6 rioters as patriots and cling to the baseless belief that Democrats stole the 2020 presidential election from Donald Trump. The former president himself has fueled that idea, pledging to pardon rioters if he is elected.

Markus Maly, a Virginia man scheduled to be sentenced next month for assaulting police at the Capitol, raised more than $16,000 from an online campaign that described him as a “January 6 P.O.W.” and asked for money for his family. Prosecutors have requested a $16,000-plus fine, noting that Maly had a public defender and did not owe any legal fees.

“He should not be able to use his own notoriety gained in the commission of his crimes to ‘capitalize’ on his participation in the Capitol breach in this way,” a prosecutor wrote in court papers.

So far this year, prosecutors have sought more than $390,000 in fines against at least 21 riot defendants, in amounts ranging from $450 to more than $71,000, according to the AP’s tally.

Judges have imposed at least $124,127 in fines against 33 riot defendants this year. In the previous two years, judges ordered more than 100 riot defendants to collectively pay more than $240,000 in fines.

Separately, judges have ordered hundreds of convicted rioters to pay more than $524,000 in restitution to the government to cover more than $2.8 million in damage to the Capitol and other Jan. 6-related expenses.

More rioters facing the most serious charges and longest prison terms are now being sentenced. They tend to also be the prolific fundraisers, which could help explain the recent surge in fines requests.

Earlier this month, the judge who sentenced Nathaniel DeGrave to more than three years in prison also ordered him to pay a $25,000 fine. Prosecutors noted that the Nevada resident “incredibly” raised over $120,000 in GiveSendGo fundraising campaigns that referred to him as “Beijing Biden’s political prisoner” in “America’s Gitmo” — a reference to the Guantanamo Bay detention center.

“He did this despite seeking to cooperate with the government and admitting he and his co-conspirators were guilty since at least November 2021,” a prosecutor wrote.

Lawyer William Shipley, who has represented DeGrave and more than two dozen other Jan. 6 defendants, said he advises clients to avoid raising money under the auspices of being a political prisoner if they intend to plead guilty.

“Until they admit they committed a crime, they’re perfectly entitled to shout from the rooftops that the only reason they’re being held is because of politics,” Shipley said. “It’s just First Amendment political speech.”

Shipley said he provided the judge with documentation showing that DeGrave raised approximately $25,000 more than what he paid his lawyers.

“I’ve never had to do it until these cases because I’ve never had clients that had third-party fundraising like this,” Shipley said. “There’s a segment of the population that is sympathetic toward the plight of these defendants.”

GiveSendGo co-founder Heather Wilson said her site’s decision to allow legal defense funds for Capitol riot defendants “is rooted in our society’s commitment to the presumption of innocence and the freedom for all individuals to hire private attorneys.”

The government’s push for more fines comes as it reaches a milestone in the largest federal investigation in American history: Just over 500 defendants have been sentenced for Jan. 6 crimes.

Judges aren’t rubber-stamping prosecutors’ fine requests.

Prosecutors sought a more than $70,000 fine for Peter Schwartz, a Kentucky man who attacked police officers outside the Capitol with pepper spray and a chair. U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta sentenced Schwartz this month to more than 14 years in prison — one of the longest so far in a Capitol riot case — but didn’t impose a fine.

Prosecutors suspect Schwartz tried to profit from his fundraising campaign, “Patriot Pete Political Prisoner in DC.” But his lawyer, Dennis Boyle, said there is no evidence of that.

The judge “basically said that if the money was being used for attorneys’ fees or other costs like that, there was no basis for a fine,” Boyle said.

A jury convicted romance novel cover model John Strand of storming the Capitol with Dr. Simone Gold, a California physician who is a leading figure in the anti-vaccine movement. Now prosecutors are seeking a $50,000 fine on top of a prison term for Strand when a judge sentences him on Thursday.

Strand has raised more than $17,300 for his legal defense without disclosing that he has a taxpayer-funded lawyer, according to prosecutors. They say Strand appears to have “substantial financial means,” living in a home that was purchased for more than $3 million last year.

“Strand has raised, and continues to raise, money on his website based upon his false statements and misrepresentations on the events of January 6,” prosecutors wrote.

Goodwyn, who appeared on Carlson’s show in March, is scheduled to be sentenced next month. Defense lawyer Carolyn Stewart described prosecutors as “demanding blood from a stone” in asking for the $25,000 fine.

“He received that amount in charity to help him in his debt for legal fees for former attorneys and this for unknown reasons is bothersome to the government,” Stewart wrote.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

They literally tried to overthrow the country by violent attack.

Their sentence SHOULD have been dozens of rounds of belt-fed .50 cal ripping their pathetic bodies to shreds in the Capitol corridors.

Anything that leaves them alive is more merciful than they deserve.

They tried to MURDER my country. There is no more heinous crime.

Well, given that Treason is a capital offense, and Treason, Insurrection and Sedition go pretty much 1, 2, 3, you can legitimately question whether a 20 year statutory max is adequate.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Entrapment, Alan?  I'll give you credit for originality, hadn't heard that one from many folks yet.  

You were literally and illegally forced to go to Washington, D.C. from (checks notes), the farthest place away from Washington, D.C. in the continental United States-San Clemente, CA?  Well this sounds like an open and shut case man, kudos.

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Entrapment, Alan?  I'll give you credit for originality, hadn't heard that one from many folks yet.  

You were literally and illegally forced to go to Washington, D.C. from (checks notes), the farthest place away from Washington, D.C. in the continental United States-San Clemente, CA?  Well this sounds like an open and shut case man, kudos.

This cocksucker was a police chief.  

• Haha 1

meanwhile:

WASHINGTON — A Maryland man who pleaded guilty to a felony for interfering with police at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 is now suing several of those same officers – claiming in a lawsuit they repeatedly assaulted him with batons in violation of department policy.

David Alan Blair, 27, of Clarksburg, Maryland, says police assaulted him and violated his Fourth Amendment rights while taking him into custody. He names as defendants in the suit the District of Columbia, four officers he says struck him with batons and two senior officers, a sergeant and a lieutenant, who he claims were negligent in allowing the alleged assault to take place. The suit, which the D.C. Attorney General’s Office removed to federal court on Thursday, seeks a jury trial and damages of $750,000.

Blair pleaded guilty in March 2022 to one count of interfering with police during a civil disorder and was sentenced to five months in prison by U.S. District Judge Christopher. According to Bureau of Prison records, Blair completed his prison sentence in mid-January, although he remains on supervised release. As part of his plea deal, federal prosecutors agreed to dismiss eight other counts against him, including five other felony counts – among them one alleging he assaulted DC Police Officer Kevin Peralta with a dangerous weapon.

At his sentencing hearing in July, Blair acknowledged he’d cross-checked Peralta with a lacrosse stick while Peralta and other officers were trying to move a crowd back across Capitol grounds away from the building late in the day on Jan. 6. Blair, who was also carrying a knife and a Confederate battle flag, told Cooper he’d gone to D.C. to protest the removal of Confederate statues around the country.

“I’m tired of our history being erased in this country,” Blair said.

Cooper, however, said he thought Blair came “primed for a fight.”

“The only folks you encountered are the police, and I think you were provocative. You confronted them,” Cooper said. “You know, I think there are different interpretations as to how you were positioned relative to that police line that was coming forward trying just to do their jobs, but you stood up against them, and you squared off, and you mouthed off, and you cross-checked the guy, right? And that’s an offense, and that’s a felony offense.”

After pushing Peralta with his lacrosse stick, Blair claims in his suit Peralta struck him several times in the head with his baton. He says he was then taken to the ground by other officers and struck multiple times with batons in the arms, torso and legs. During his sentencing hearing, prosecutors acknowledged Blair was injured during the takedown and had to be hospitalized overnight.

YouTube, AI and the Streaming Wars
FEATURED BY
vi_logo.svg

“But, again, no one else around him – rioters, that is – are defying police the way he is,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Liebman said during Blair’s sentencing hearing. “He appears to be the only one. And, again, he encouraged others to do the same.”

In the lawsuit filed by Blair’s attorney, Terrell Roberts, he claims to have suffered a concussion and multiple lacerations from the blows to his head, including one that required nine staples to close. After being released from police custody, Roberts wrote, Blair suffered from severe headaches, nausea and vomiting and difficulties with his short-term memory.

“Strikes to the head with a baton are prohibited by the Metropolitan Police Department’s standard operating procedures and are universally prohibited because it is considered to be the use of deadly force,” Roberts wrote.

Blair is at least the second person charged in the Capitol riot to file a lawsuit against police. In January 2022, Victoria Charity White, a Minnesota woman facing the same felony civil disorder charge Blair pleaded guilty to, sued D.C, seven officers and outgoing DC Police Chief Robert J. Contee for allegedly violating her rights under the Fourth, Fifth, Eighth and Fourteenth Amendments with baton strikes she received while inside the chaotic Lower West Terrace Tunnel on Jan. 6. The suit sought $1 million in damages. White, who is still awaiting trial, voluntarily dismissed the suit in November.

Roberts previously represented the husband of Ashli Babbitt, the Air Force veteran who was fatally shot while attempting to climb through a window of a barricaded door leading to the Speaker’s Lobby on Jan. 6, in a suit seeking to uncover the identity of the officer who shot her. In an interview with WUSA9 in May 2021, Roberts said Babbitt’s family planned to file a $10 million wrongful death lawsuit against the U.S. Capitol Police. To date, that lawsuit has not been filed.

• Rage+1 1