TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

God forbid a kid get put into the bright lights and his team/coach realize maybe he needs more experience before he trots out there. This line isn't doing him and his style of play any favors. Nobody is giving up on the kid. He, and Sark, cannot afford to appease his ego for an entire year though. We don't have the time for that shit. We play for this year, especially when we're 2 games into the season. Not for Card's potential to possibly be a better QB fit next year and the year after. 

• Hook 'Em 6

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Correct, but he's transferring after the season if he is still the backup.

well its up to Sark to make sure that "it don't make a shit". 

and if he's still the back up that might mean we had a good season because we already know that Sark would prefer Card start.

Edited by dcar00

7 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

God forbid a kid get put into the bright lights and his team/coach realize maybe he needs more experience before he trots out there. This line isn't doing him and his style of play any favors. Nobody is giving up on the kid. He, and Sark, cannot afford to appease his ego for an entire year though. We don't have the time for that shit. We play for this year, especially when we're 2 games into the season. Not for Card's potential to possibly be a better QB fit next year and the year after. 

Sark played Casey in the LA game when it was far from being out of reach for this very reason - keeping him happy and around in case something happens to Card.  My hope is this continues in reverse.  We need quality depth and each position.  

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

than we better recruit more QB's. transfer portal and NIL temptation is basically gonna wreak havoc on QB rooms across the country. Cant cry about it, programs will just have to adjust. If Casey gives us a better chance to win, play Casey. playing some BS 2QB system to appease a freshman's ego doesnt seem like the ideal scenario. If Card bails this year, I guess we better hope Malik can be coached up next year ( or get our own backup off the portal). I'm also not convinced Card would bail, but if he does you move on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Who the fuck asked him if he watched a “chick flick” after being told Hudson would start the season initially?? I swear, we have such a shitty collection of reporters covering this team

I’ve been convinced for at least 20 years that we have the worst batch of local sports guys than any other D1 college program 

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, Blotto said:

than we better recruit more QB's. transfer portal and NIL temptation is basically gonna wreak havoc on QB rooms across the country. Cant cry about it, programs will just have to adjust. If Casey gives us a better chance to win, play Casey. playing some BS 2QB system to appease a freshman's ego doesnt seem like the ideal scenario. If Card bails this year, I guess we better hope Malik can be coached up next year ( or get our own backup off the portal). I'm also not convinced Card would bail, but if he does you move on. 

We need OL, WR, and TEs from the portal more than we need another QB. We'll have 4 on campus next year in the spring, I think I read Maalik is an early enrollee, that is more than enough if a true pecking order in place.

43 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If he transfers because Casey is lighting up I can live with that. Arch will be coming in or Quinn will have transferred in by the time Casey graduates /s
Play the guy that gives you the best chance to win. 

Edited by XForce
Forgot the /s

39 minutes ago, XForce said:

If he transfers because Casey is lighting up I can live with that. Arch will be coming in or Quinn will have transferred in by the time Casey graduates /s
Play the guy that gives you the best chance to win. 

I watched a video of the Oregon/Ohio State game on YouTube. It was shot from the stands and after the Ohio State QB misses an open receiver, someone in the stands says, "Ewers would have made that pass."

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Blotto said:

casey has 2 years right?

I don't give 2 shits about QB's feelings. I want Casey or Card to light it up this year and next, then have Manning here to learn for a year then beat out whoever holds down the spot for that year. Not sure why, but I have faith in Casey. I can still see a 9 win season plus a bowl victory with him at the helm.

Hard to predict what Card would do if he's still the backup. May depend on how good Casey looks and how Card progresses in practice. He could possibly re-win the job over the offseason or just wait one more year to be the starter. Plus he's got a lot of NIL $ at play here that wouldn't be renewed if he leaves.

Regardless, the portal makes this stuff such a headache. Really hard to manage that room for any school.

3 hours ago, Gohogs14 said:

I definitely thought Thompson looked like the better QB Saturday. You could tell he has more experience finding the soft spots in the zone and his running ability seemed like it added a lot more of a threat.

However I don’t think you should give up on Card just yet. His OL did him no favors and his second start coming against a well-respected DC like Odom who can disguise coverages well is a tough break. Matt Corral last year threw six interceptions against Odom’s defense but was one of the better QBs in college football the rest of the year once he gained some experience. Other than the fumble (which was really just unfortunate) he protected the football which is what you want from a young QB. He made good decisions on those 2-3 deep balls that will probably be completions later on in the season when his nerves settle down.

I don't think anyone has totally written off Card. But the whole IT taking a shit all over Thompson during fall camp and then suddenly announcing an NIL deal as soon as he's named starter, whilst not in the least bit surprising, definitely doesn't sit right.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I’ve been convinced for at least 20 years that we have the worst batch of local sports guys than any other D1 college program 

HaHaHaHaHaHa  😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

4mtk7g.gif 

7xln2VZh_400x400.jpg

Qz61aRe5_400x400.jpeg

PH-W2Cao_400x400.jpeg

5hhsbf.gif

Fat Roach.PNG

image.png

IMG_7039.jpg

FCB-Tower.gif

And an Aggy for fun... 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

image.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

Hudson has all the talent…but one watch of his YouTube channel and you understand pretty quickly why he failed on Saturday.

Casey was the guy from the minute he destroyed that Colorado team.  There’s a swagger that comes along with playing QB.  A confidence that’s needed.  Card simply isn’t there yet.  Casey is.  

Big 12 champs….book it

• Hook 'Em 6

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Stevie Ray said:

Big 12 champs….book it

Hudson has all the talent…but one watch of his YouTube channel and you understand pretty quickly why he failed on Saturday.

Casey was the guy from the minute he destroyed that Colorado team.  There’s a swagger that comes along with playing QB.  A confidence that’s needed.  Card simply isn’t there yet.  Casey is.  

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47vzy64svze3ccsttoes

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

If this could be considered a rebuilding year like 2003 was I would be fine rolling with Card to build towards next 2 years (like we did with VY).   But in 2003 we had just graduated a ton of seniors and had elite young talent across the board while absolutely dominating the state and region in recruiting getting anyone we wanted.  Total opposite of now.  Sark absolutely has to win games now.   Given what we all just witnessed Saturday I think Casey absolutely has to start as he's better positioned for THIS team to win now regardless of which QB has the higher ceiling (and yes, agreed Card is no VY from a ceiling perspective).  I'm hoping Casey takes the opportunity and doesn't let go.  

Cedric, Roy Williams, Nathan Vasher, and Derrick Johnson and every Texas fan disagrees with your take that 2003 was a rebuilding year. We were also ranked #5 to start the season.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Cedric, Roy Williams, Nathan Vasher, and Derrick Johnson and every Texas fan disagrees with your take that 2003 was a rebuilding year. We were also ranked #5 to start the season.

That was the season that ended with the embarrassment against Wazzu, right? The same night when our OL was asking the staff what they should do to slow Wazzu’s blitz — they got nothing but blank stares. I thought Mack’s time was over that night. Then OU shut out VY/CB 10 months later.

4 hours ago, Ashley Schaeffer said:

I don't think anyone has totally written off Card. But the whole IT taking a shit all over Thompson during fall camp and then suddenly announcing an NIL deal as soon as he's named starter, whilst not in the least bit surprising, definitely doesn't sit right.

Something something ethics- something something journalistic integrity… welp they don’t give a shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That was the season that ended with the embarrassment against Wazzu, right? The same night when our OL was asking the staff what they should do to slow Wazzu’s blitz — they got nothing but blank stares. I thought Mack’s time was over that night. Then OU shut out VY/CB 10 months later.

I was replying to the notion that 2003 was considered a rebuilding year. If you were arguing I thought 2003 was the best of times, well…

7 hours ago, Cajun said:

Casey deserves the job for so, so many reasons.  The dude is impressive.

Reminds me of a young Patrick Mahones. That last TD run - when he was 15 yards out I was thinking that there was no way he could score. There were too many obstacles in the way. Same at ten and five. He had to blast into two tacklers at the goal line, as I recall, but damn if he didn't make it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I think that Wazzu game was the closest Mack ever got to getting fired... except when he got "fired"

Agree.  And it would have been a terrible move, as we now know with 20-20 hindsight.  The real firing was a terrible mistake because it came about 3 years too late.

7 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Nah, he grew up wanting to be here and Archie is definitely not a guarantee. I think Maalik is a project that will take time. If Casey gets entrenched I think Card will wait at least another season to see if Casey is NFL bound 

6 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

I watched a video of the Oregon/Ohio State game on YouTube. It was shot from the stands and after the Ohio State QB misses an open receiver, someone in the stands says, "Ewers would have made that pass."

Rhat was me.  I was at the game trying to plant some seeds of dissent and discord 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Reminds me of a young Patrick Mahones. That last TD run - when he was 15 yards out I was thinking that there was no way he could score. There were too many obstacles in the way. Same at ten and five. He had to blast into two tacklers at the goal line, as I recall, but damn if he didn't make it.

Oh great. Casey will never take us to the B12 championship game but move on to the nfl and become a transcendent QB. Do not like. 

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

I was replying to the notion that 2003 was considered a rebuilding year. If you were arguing I thought 2003 was the best of times, well…

No, no, no. I'm with you. That team was loaded with talent but was breaking in a new QB. Getting beat by OU 65-13 and then ending with the bowl embarrassment vs Washington State where our O-line had no idea what was going on and couldn't get coaching to help them figure it out, made me think the Mack era had played itself out. It would've -- if not for St. Vincent.

He is at least right about the Patterson thing. It’s pretty reasonable to expect Thompson to be successful against Rice and therefore hold the job going into Tech, where you’d also expect a good game. TCU is the next team with enough talent and defensive acumen to test whether or not this offense has improved. Not to mention it is a road game.

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

He is at least right about the Patterson thing. It’s pretty reasonable to expect Thompson to be successful against Rice and therefore hold the job going into Tech, where you’d also expect a good game. TCU is the next team with enough talent and defensive acumen to test whether or not this offense has improved. Not to mention it is a road game.

That actually sets up perfect to see if Thompson is the guy....if he does well the next two games then goes into TCU and does well again then this controversy, if you want to call it that, is over. Oklahoma is a crapshoot....

• Hook 'Em 1