2024 Radical Republican Presidential Candidate Predictions. Take Your Shot.

Mrs Whiggins

@PenelopeWitherspoon's GOP Civil War thread reminded me of starting this thread. I wanted to, for a variety of reasons, start a prediction thread ~three years out with respect to the Radical Republican (Trumpy party) Presidential Nominee and his/her running mate.

This is for the general election, when the dust has settled.  Instead of a one-shot and the potential for a swish or an airball, I went with a ranking system. Deadline for submitting  predictions will be February 14th allowing two weeks which ought to be enough time and yet still waaaay far out. It's just for fun, so folks can look back and groan, curse, or breathe a sigh of relief due to having made a move to Canada, all depending on events that have yet unfolded.

Ranking is 1-5. If a VP and President end up swapping, no foul--I see that as political strategy and not an elimination.

Mine:

1. Mike Pompeo/Kristi Noem (It was real tempting to not have Pompeo paired with a female because he doesn't seem the type, but he's smart and she pulls in a particular type of voter he may have trouble reaching). Neither have the Insurrection tied to them--could be a plus or a minus. Pompeo likely would please corporate America more than anyone below.

2. Donald Trump/Ron DeSantis (I have no idea here, but Trump prefers non threatening running mates, and DeSantis is unlikely to challenge the boss.)

3. Ivanka Trump/Josh Hawley (two people who have so much in common it's a little frightening. Image scrubbing and the Trump name what's not to like?)

4. Ted Cruz/Nikki Haley (the also ran and the also ran; perfect for each other. Long shots, but Ted's not going to quit just yet)

5. Jim Jordan/Tim Scott (least likely to get the nomination, but stranger things have happened. Was tempted to substitute a QAnon running mate for one of them, but Jim or Tim are slightly smarter than that)

What you got?

I didn't figure points or any of that, and any of the people above could end up all mixed up or even some others I didn't add in there. It was just something to think about as the dialogue around the country unfolds. As time passes and things shake out, it could be an interesting look into the way back machine.

Unfortunately, I think Romney kickstarted Cotton’s run to the nomination. Never mind Cotton is likely worse than Cruz or Hawley but just realized it would be smart to stay out of the stop the steal leadership. Cotton reads Atwood and thinks it should be the future of the US. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Unfortunately, I think Romney kickstarted Cotton’s run to the nomination. Never mind Cotton is likely worse than Cruz or Hawley but just realized it would be smart to stay out of the stop the steal leadership. Cotton reads Atwood and thinks it should be the future of the US. 

I really deliberated over Cotton, but ultimately wasn't sold. The populist arm is infatuated with fiery insulting speakers so I gave the nod to Jim Jordan instead. I haven't heard Cotton stump enough to discern if he has that quality.

4 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

For this Texas hold ‘em game, I’m all-on Nikki Hailey. She is walking the Trumptard/Old Style GOP
line better than anybody.

And the sane business interest people will give her their money.

She might get some traction, but unless he can't or chooses not to run, I think Donald Trump will run away with the nomination. There is no one in the Republican Party who comes close to his popularity with the base. He will crush all challengers in the primaries.

• Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

3. Ivanka Trump/Josh Hawley (two people who have so much in common it's a little frightening. Image scrubbing and the Trump name what's not to like?)

The "are they fucking?" energy will be off the charts!

9 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I really deliberated over Cotton, but ultimately wasn't sold. The populist arm is infatuated with fiery insulting speakers so I gave the nod to Jim Jordan instead. I haven't heard Cotton stump enough to discern if he has that quality.

His views are crazy enough for the base. And they will need someone that is viewed as more measured and not involved with the insurrection. I think he might be the perfect candidate post Trump that no one is talking about. Dems should be hammering him right now. 

• Rage+1 1

I guess it will depend upon if corporate America believes they can make money with this type of extremism in charge. It's why I put Pompeo as the number one pick. I don't think he is the populist favorite, but when it comes down to it, the very large money machine may decide it's too risky to front these other guys no matter what Trump says. Pompeo is willing to pretend to be what he needs to be and will go from there.

If Trump runs the MAGA candidates will clear out for him so as not to alienate his base for future runs. It'll end up Trump vs. a few other more normal candidates and he'll destroy them.

If he doesn't run, Haley has to be the frontrunner. Cruz is damaged and gross. Hawley is damaged. Pence will never win and he knows it. He's damaged with moderates for being too Trumpy and Trumpers for being too moderate. He won't run. The rest are charisma vacuums.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

His views are crazy enough for the base. And they will need someone that is viewed as more measured and not involved with the insurrection. I think he might be the perfect candidate post Trump that no one is talking about. Dems should be hammering him right now. 

Worst kept secret in Arkansas is that Cotton has the gay. How would that play with the base? 

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

If Trump runs the MAGA candidates will clear out for him so as not to alienate his base for future runs. It'll end up Trump vs. a few other more normal candidates and he'll destroy them.

If he doesn't run, Haley has to be the frontrunner. Cruz is damaged and gross. Hawley is damaged. Pence will never win and he knows it. He's damaged with moderates for being too Trumpy and Trumpers for being too moderate. He won't run. The rest are charisma vacuums.

I buy this. If Joe Biden opts not to run and Harris is the front runner, the Haley hype will increase. Black Indian Dem woman versus Indian GOP woman? 

I like Noem is the dark horse. She’s already working the circuits without shame. Her proximity to Iowa will be a natural appeal 

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I hadn't actually considered that--that others would shelve their ambition to hitch their wagon to the Trump train later. Such a risky move because if Trump were to win and installs Ivanka as his successor then one is just part of the throwaway gang but never one of the Family, mafia style.

So few places bothered to have a primary the last round, so they're all out of practice.

I'm really wondering about his health though. Average white male of his income tier has a lifespan on average of 87. He's turning 75 this June, so well under that but he's fat, may have had a stroke, and has other suspected health issues. Does he even have a doctor any more?

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Carlson 250-1

put me down for $100 with those odds.  Carlson/Ivanka will be the ticket if DJT doesn't run.

it's all about being the loudest voice.  Tucker has the biggest platform.

and as Ashley Madison Cawthorn exemplifies, it's not even about actually passing laws.  it's about getting the message out.  communications over legislation.  hell, Dotard's "platform" for his second term had no policies.  it was all about demonizing the left.

Tucker wins at that game.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

put me down for $100 with those odds.  Carlson/Ivanka will be the ticket if DJT doesn't run.

it's all about being the loudest voice.  Tucker has the biggest platform.

and as Ashley Madison Cawthorn exemplifies, it's not even about actually passing laws.  it's about getting the message out.  communications over legislation.  hell, Dotard's "platform" for his second term had no policies.  it was all about demonizing the left.

Tucker wins at that game.  

Man, I am kicking myself. I completely forgot about Tucker. You may end up with the best prediction.

I agree Trump not running but playing kingmaker would give that person an advantage. He would most likely love that role--he still goes around having rallies on someone else's dime. The first time he forgets the name of any candidate (other than Ivanka whom he wouldn't) would be priceless.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

People listing regular politicians have it all wrong. It will be someone with a large twitter following and that has that Trump/Exotic/Tyson teflon quality that people love them for being a piece of shit. The only regular politician with this status is Cruz

4 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

People listing regular politicians have it all wrong. It will be someone with a large twitter following and that has that Trump/Exotic/Tyson teflon quality that people love them for being a piece of shit. The only regular politician with this status is Cruz

Cruz’ Twitter pales in comparison with Trump. Too coherent, too packaged, too focused, too predictable. 

And Trump is a different kind of asshole than Cruz. Trump simply IS an asshole, he can’t not be and he doesn’t have to try. That authenticity is key why his followers love him.

With Cruz, you can clearly see that at each juncture, he has to stop and ask himself “what would a total piece of shit say or do here.” And then he does it. It’s all too slick.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, 956 Worldwide said:

Cruz’ Twitter pales in comparison with Trump. Too coherent, too packaged, too focused, too predictable. 

And Trump is a different kind of asshole than Cruz. Trump simply IS an asshole, he can’t not be and he doesn’t have to try. That authenticity is key why his followers love him.

With Cruz, you can clearly see that at each juncture, he has to stop and ask himself “what would a total piece of shit say or do here.” And then he does it. It’s all too slick.

If you have ever seen the clips of Trump dancing to YMCA after a rally, and yet people still fly Trump flags and will happily run a campaign bus off the road, you know that Trump is the cult leader Ted Cruz can never be. Trump has not changed his hairstyle in fifty years. Ted can't approach that type of sustained narcissism.

• Like 1

I agree with all of this, but I’m sure none of the big Fox News people like Hannity or Tucker would trade making an easy millions and millions every year with their paint by numbers talking point shows to actually run for office.  
It will be Trump if he runs again.  If not, probably someone like Noem who talks Trumpy, doesn’t have much of a track record to pick apart (i.e., they can’t be criticized for once doing something reasonable that is now a heresy to the newly insane version of the party), and who looks good or has a weird background or some other kind of superficial appeal to your stereotypical working class Stop the Steal Republicans who post pics of themselves bringing guns to restaurants on Facebook.  

Correct.

All she has to do is say she’s a trump Republican, repeatedly and publicly suck him off as the best president we’ve ever had, and promise to make him part of her advisory team, and she wins going away.

59 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I agree with all of this, but I’m sure none of the big Fox News people like Hannity or Tucker would trade making an easy millions and millions every year with their paint by numbers talking point shows to actually run for office.  

It will be Trump if he runs again.  If not, probably someone like Noem who talks Trumpy, doesn’t have much of a track record to pick apart (i.e., they can’t be criticized for once doing something reasonable that is now a heresy to the newly insane version of the party), and who looks good or has a weird background or some other kind of superficial appeal to your stereotypical working class Stop the Steal Republicans who post pics of themselves bringing guns to restaurants on Facebook.  

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

Hail to the m'fuckin' chief, muthafuckooos

29b5c0ae-87fb-42c3-82ae-aa04a750d512-EPA

Haven't yet gotten this issue to read the whole article, but it's not often that I think the Economist gets something flat-out wrong:

140802809_23846730177900267_897970964939

And they've got this flat-out wrong.  There WILL be a Trump heir.  It's whoever he decrees it to be.  If he says it's Kid Rock, and he gives Kid Rock his open support and rallies for him....Kid Rock is your 2024 GOP nominee.

The insistence of some people to not believe what is right before their eyes -- that there is no GOP EXCEPT "the Party of Trump" -- blows me away.  I understand the human inclination to not want to believe a horror that is right before your eyes.  A human can watch their child be decapitated in front of them, and their brain will continue to insist that it didn't really happen, because the reality is more than the human psyche can bear.  But that doesn't change the reality right in front of you.  Every sane person continues to insist that Trumpism is ephemeral, that it will go away, that Trump is not the leader, for life, of a new fascist movement.  Because the reality -- that we have ingested a massive poison of cult of personality fascism, and it's not going away -- is more than any sane psyche can bear.

Tough shit.  Look at it.  LOOK AT IT.

clockwork_horror_9.jpg

Trump has to run again. And if he runs, he'll win the nomination, and more than likely the White House because we're too fucking stupid to learn from our mistakes.

His only hope at financial survival at this point is to skim enough from his PAC in order to pay some of his debts & keep him from defaulting on his loans. How does he do that? Simple. Get the word out to Putin that if he gets him back into office in 2024 then he can have whatever he wants. If you think he was Putin's puppet for the past 4 years, just imagine what he'll do for Vlad when $900M in personally secured debt comes due.

Option B) is the Tucker/Ivanka ticket with dotard giving his blessing (as long as he gets his cut) & teasing that he'll be Secretary of State. Trump's only allegiance is to his brand, and Ivanka is his only shot of making it profitable again.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Haven't yet gotten this issue to read the whole article, but it's not often that I think the Economist gets something flat-out wrong:

140802809_23846730177900267_897970964939

And they've got this flat-out wrong.  There WILL be a Trump heir.  It's whoever he decrees it to be.  If he says it's Kid Rock, and he gives Kid Rock his open support and rallies for him....Kid Rock is your 2024 GOP nominee.

The insistence of some people to not believe what is right before their eyes -- that there is no GOP EXCEPT "the Party of Trump" -- blows me away.  I understand the human inclination to not want to believe a horror that is right before your eyes.  A human can watch their child be decapitated in front of them, and their brain will continue to insist that it didn't really happen, because the reality is more than the human psyche can bear.  But that doesn't change the reality right in front of you.  Every sane person continues to insist that Trumpism is ephemeral, that it will go away, that Trump is not the leader, for life, of a new fascist movement.  Because the reality -- that we have ingested a massive poison of cult of personality fascism, and it's not going away -- is more than any sane psyche can bear.

Tough shit.  Look at it.  LOOK AT IT.

clockwork_horror_9.jpg

Well the Party of Dotard lost the House, WH and Senate in a two-year period.  If that’s how they want to roll then let them.

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

I read this title and felt the next 3 years drown. Don’t participate. Thread is locked.

locked.

It was not my intent to upset you so apologies for that. It was actually kind of cathartic for me to just get it out there to then not think of anymore for awhile—I’m hoping that in a couple of days the thread will drop off the first page and one day be resurrected after we have had three years of solid governance and a hopeful future. 

Peace and good will. 

• Haha 1