Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

Yes.

On an unrelated note, it’s my MIL to be’s 80th birthday today. To celebrate, she’s going to sky dive today.

My question is what words of encouragement should one offer to a first time sky diver? Good luck? Break a leg? Neither of those seem right.

What to say to her? Can’t say it any better than this legend did:

009a582f49e460c15a13ff41c893d711.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Call me Simple Jack but why is there such a profession as Golf Course Designer or Race Track Designer?

Theres no platonic geometric configuration of a golf course or a race track thats so complex its unsolvable by a normal person. 

The fact that one course or hole or curve is easy or difficult or smooth or technical is all part of its essence. Variety is its very nature and we dont have consensus on one that is optimal. 

If a 5 year old draws a bunch of right-angles…hey thats Long Beach street course.  If he draws an oval thats a world famous nascar track. 

So why would we need a “designer” to make one?

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Call me Simple Jack but why is there such a profession as Golf Course Designer or Race Track Designer?

Theres no platonic geometric configuration of a golf course or a race track thats so complex its unsolvable by a normal person. 

The fact that one course or hole or curve is easy or difficult or smooth or technical is all part of its essence. Variety is its very nature and we dont have consensus on one that is optimal. 

If a 5 year old draws a bunch of right-angles…hey thats Long Beach street course.  If he draws an oval thats a world famous nascar track. 

Is it? 

65cff23283feb9e3a2348f10_2024_lbcircuit_2-16-24_NoSponsors.webp

Sup Simple Jack.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I mean every time I turn that show on, they’re cussing left and right. It’s in the middle of the day and they’re dropping FCC banned words with no bleeps covering them up. How is that happening, especially on a Disney owned channel? 

1 minute ago, Mittens said:

I mean every time I turn that show on, they’re cussing left and right. It’s in the middle of the day and they’re dropping FCC banned words with no bleeps covering them up. How is that happening, especially on a Disney owned channel? 

How does HBO or IFC also “get away” with it?

Essentially, the FCC rules for this apply to OTA. To get something like ESPN, HBO, or even Comedy Central, you have to pay for that in one way or another. OTA can be grabbed by anyone, obviously.

That leaves your “local” channels that also broadcast OTA bound to that, but “cable”, not so much.

Now way back when, the original cable channels had some type of agreement amongst themselves that they would abide by that same guideline (probably for the children) in their offerings.

How it’s all played out and the finer details, beats me. But that’s the gist of it all.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

I just saw a topless woman jogging. Smallish titties, but titties nonetheless.

I win again.

I mean, seriously, unless she's like hideously ugly, that's always a win.

Is it weird to anyone else why theres a such a difference between college and professional sports that many players productive at one level cant succeed in the other?

Its 99% the same game with the same rules against the same athletes. 

I get that theres a variation in outcomes, so guys like Adam Morrison and Johnny Manziel can flame out, but other dudes who score 25ppg in D1 or throw 25 TDs in the P5 dont even get drafted in the first place 

Like Kevin Pittsnoggle. How do you start every single game scoring 19 ppg against teams like Villanova, Connecticut, Marquette, Syracuse, and Georgetown…but not even make an NBA roster?

if the NBA roster were solely made up of people scoring 30ppg in the same league against the same competition, then sure on a relative basis Pittsnoggle sucks. 

Is it weird to anyone else why theres a such a difference between college and professional sports that many players productive at one level cant succeed in the other?
I get that theres a variation in outcomes, so guys like Adam Morrison and Johnny Manziel can flame out, but other dudes who score 25ppg in D1 or throw 25 TDs in the P5 dont even get drafted in the first place 
Huge difference playing against people who won't even sniff the pros in college vs the pros where it's nothing but the best of the best. Same as the ballers in high school vs flaming out in college. The size, speed, physicality and the adjustments the coaches make at the next level exposes many.

On 3/29/2024 at 2:49 PM, TexasHooch said:

There really is nothing on earth that enhances the music listening experience like being away from home. To me it's almost like getting a holiday tattoo, the way it imprints itself onto the memory of the experience.

You’ve never dropped acid, have you?

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
7 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Huge difference playing against people who won't even sniff the pros in college vs the pros where it's nothing but the best of the best. Same as the ballers in high school vs flaming out in college. The size, speed, physicality and the adjustments the coaches make at the next level exposes many.

Im not talking about a guy balling out in D2 / FCS competition, which is a bad measure of absolute talent when compared against the best of the best (pros)

Im talking about relative performance, in the same conference against the same competition.  Shouldnt the top performers in college be more or less the same group in pro league, allowing for changes in relative rank due to their development. Instead, some of the top college performers dont even get a shot at all.

Such is the difference in the game that theyre productive in college **relative** to future-pros, but the game apparently doesnt suit pro league at all  

As example, Big East which is a quality basketball conference…in 2006 #2 leading scorer is Randy Foye and #6 is Steve Novak. Both were in NBA for a full decade. In between them are 4 dudes who never made a roster.  If those are the 2 with talents to survive the league, shouldnt they have big brothered everyone else in the Big East?

Everyone knows Benadryl makes you sleepy. Just a random thought, but it’s interesting how the same drug is marketed for different purposes.
8b88013f53156ff2e7d20b11730719a7.jpg
Benadryl makes me feel like I want to rip my skin off and run a marathon. Does not induce sleep for me at all.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
5 hours ago, EP_Texican said:
Everyone knows Benadryl makes you sleepy. Just a random thought, but it’s interesting how the same drug is marketed for different purposes.

Benadryl makes me feel like I want to rip my skin off and run a marathon. Does not induce sleep for me at all.

Change your username to Born to Run Skinless. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, EP_Texican said:

99% of the time shopping OTC pharma and health products im buying the Great Value Brand on the basis of the active ingredient. 

Like…this isnt a polo shirt. There are no alligators on the chest pocket. What are these people doing spending literally twice as much on the name brand!

On 3/30/2024 at 11:10 AM, 52-80 said:

I'm with you. 

I think about it with Pat Mahomes. I don't remember him doing anything different than other Tech QBs didn't do for 20 years. Now he's the best player in the league while the other ones flamed out.

image.png

41 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Why do some lids to contact lens cases have little braille bumps indicating which is right and left?  Not like I can put them in in the dark.  

What about the blind people who wear contacts.  Can't you see the problem!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm with you. 

I think about it with Pat Mahomes. I don't remember him doing anything different than other Tech QBs didn't do for 20 years. Now he's the best player in the league while the other ones flamed out.

image.png

And I include Josh Allen's college stats because I was also thinking about him while typing and forgot to remove it.

15 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm with you. 

image.png

The evaluation of talent by professional and collegiate teams has always been interesting.  The so-called experts get it wrong quite often.  Here are just a few that come to mind.  Albert Pujols was a 13th round pick.  Sam Bowie was chosen over Michael Jordan in the 84 draft.  Ryan Leaf was the second overall pick in 98.  Brady was a 6th round pick and Montana was a 3rd round pick.  And how many 4-5 star recruits out of HS never panned out at UT?  I've always thought that men are still physically developing into their 20's and it's hard to tell which athletes will get to the next level and which have already peaked.  And then there's the issue that the perceived top HS and college players often play against different levels of talent and it's hard to compare them to each other.

2010-2011 Duke team has 6 1st round draft picks.

You know them all by name: Kyle Singler, Plumlee brothers (2x), Seth Curry, and all-world Kyrie Irving who averaged 3 rebounds, 4 assists, and 18 points. 

Leading scorer if that team? A guard, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 21 points… Nolan Smith. Started all of 4 games in the NBA.  Atleast he got drafted