Buttigieg/Secretary of Transportation Thread

Hank Kingsley

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

With today's bridge collapse, this guy has had a hell of a term. Planes, trains, automobiles and now ships. Damn.

And the GQP will try to blame him for the bridge disaster too.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 11/3/2023 at 10:02 AM, Dnaguy said:

The way his administration handled the falling of the wall and the collapse of the Soviet Union and Desert Storm is a master class in foreign policy.

<spit-take.gif>

The Taliban would like a word with you. So would the Shia and Kurdish uprising in Iraq whose members were mowed down by Saddam’s helicopters, unrestricted by Bush’s “no fly” policy.

And look where Russia is now. I don’t think Bush’s policies of generally washing his hands and walking away like the jobs were finished are commendable at all. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

<spit-take.gif>

The Taliban would like a word with you. So would the Shia and Kurdish uprising in Iraq whose members were mowed down by Saddam’s helicopters, unrestricted by Bush’s “no fly” policy.

And look where Russia is now. I don’t think Bush’s policies of generally washing his hands and walking away like the jobs were finished are commendable at all. 

Uhhhh.

What does the Taliban have to do with the collapse of the Soviet Union outside of maybe bringing it on? It’s not like they were a client state of the Soviets like the Warsaw pact. 

And not to get all Real Politik here but Kurdish / Shia fates in Iraq didn’t mean shit in relation to world order or global oil availability or price.

The problems with the Taliban were a result of leaving Afghanistan to whither on the vine after they drove out the soviets AND then Bush 2 electric boogaloo’s quixotic venture into Iraq instead of finishing the job after 9/11.

And Iraq is such a blunder in American foreign policy due to Bush 2 (again!) and not Bush 1. 
It’s weird twist of fate and just sad the GHWB had a dolt of a son who singlehandedly undid the New world order  that his father (well maybe James Baker) worked hard establish.

Edited by Dnaguy

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

With today's bridge collapse, this guy has had a hell of a term. Planes, trains, automobiles and now ships. Damn.

who loosened restrictions on those industries just a few years ago? it boggles the mind how we could have gotten here.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

What does the Taliban have to do with the collapse of the Soviet Union outside of maybe bringing it on?

Bringing it on? A small part to be sure. You do know that we played a role in the Afghan insurgency, right? Funded the Taliban? Gave them weapons? Wiped our hands and walked away and let the nutjobs take over? A straight line can be drawn from mismanagement by the elder Bush to that of his idiot son and 9/11.

The collapse of the Soviet Union was always going to happen. Every U.S. president since the fall of the Axis in WWII had a hand in it. Anyone who doesn’t give a big fat heaping helping of credit to Gorbachev is probably living on domestic propaganda alone.

Recommended reading:

IMG_4739.png.45c3f5d99725c047e557a0dcb325731f.png

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Bringing it on? A small part to be sure. You do know that we played a role in the Afghan insurgency, right? Funded the Taliban? Gave them weapons? Wiped our hands and walked away and let the nutjobs take over? A straight line can be drawn from mismanagement by the elder Bush to that of his idiot son and 9/11.

The collapse of the Soviet Union was always going to happen. Every U.S. president since the fall of the Axis in WWII had a hand in it. Anyone who doesn’t give a big fat heaping helping of credit to Gorbachev is probably living on domestic propaganda alone.

Recommended reading:

IMG_4739.png.45c3f5d99725c047e557a0dcb325731f.png

The Soviets withdrew from Afghanistan before Bush Sr became president.

Now if you want to argue that he should have changed US policy when he became president then I take your point and it wasn’t as if he was coming off the street. He was VP.

But one does have to consider that the more potentially fraught Cold War arena wad Europe. You had protests and elections in Poland. The Baltic states and East Germany were on edge. The was still the potential for somebody doing something dumb and the world would end.

Taking your eyes off Afghanistan to focus on Europe was the right call. It’s only bc we lacked imagination in our  intelligence service that 9/11 was able to be launched from Afghanistan. 

4 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

tell us more miss cleo 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I know and I know you know. I'm trying to see if he knows

I know. And I know you know. I’m just saying. And pounding my head on the wall.

I just wish it all would stop. 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

It used to be that a major disaster would bring the country together. Now one half tries to help and the other half looks around at who to blame. We're not a well country

Yep.

We are a sick fucking place.  If aliens invaded tomorrow, pledging to exterminate the human race.....half this fucking country would side with them.  Leopards eating people's faces and all that.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty cool thing that's happening in Dallas with the help of Federal dollars. A deck park extending over I-35 that will connect the Dallas Zoo with the other side of Oak Cliff. The deck has already been installed over the highway. This will help pay for the work to go on top of it. 

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

This is a pretty cool thing that's happening in Dallas with the help of Federal dollars. A deck park extending over I-35 that will connect the Dallas Zoo with the other side of Oak Cliff. The deck has already been installed over the highway. This will help pay for the work to go on top of it. 

One of the I-35 redevelop0ment plans I saw for Austin used that model of burying the highway and building a park over the top to connect East and West sides of Austin.

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

One of the I-35 redevelop0ment plans I saw for Austin used that model of burying the highway and building a park over the top to connect East and West sides of Austin.

There is a desire to bury 30 from downtown till after Fair Park so they can deck over it and connect Deep Ellum to South Dallas. That is definitely happening with 345 to bury it so Downtown can extend to Deep Ellum. Unfortunately, there's too many surface streets that can't be replaced but at least the monstrosity will be gone.There was a plan with DART to tunnel a 2nd line around City Hall but that's gone now due to interfering with the 345 burial. The TXDOT would have to help with 30 since it's an interstate. 

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/city-life/i345-freeway-teardown-trench/

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Correct.

UT is also trying to coordinate with TxDOT and COA to get one from ~ MLK to Dean Keaton as a way to Expand the campus / Connect the existing bifurcated  state of the campus as it sits now.

Although incredibly expensive, is really the only way for the central campus to expand and possibly the last time we have a shot at a contiguous UT.

I get goose bumps thinking about how awesome it would be to install a park or intramural fields or parking or tail gating amenities (maybe all of them!) over 35 while opening up current surface parking lots / old Red river alignment / the bubble and whatnot to further campus building or development.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Correct.

UT is also trying to coordinate with TxDOT and COA to get one from ~ MLK to Dean Keaton as a way to Expand the campus / Connect the existing bifurcated  state of the campus as it sits now.

Although incredibly expensive, is really the only way for the central campus to expand and possibly the last time we have a shot at a contiguous UT.

I get goose bumps thinking about how awesome it would be to install a park or intramural fields or parking or tail gating amenities (maybe all of them!) over 35 while opening up current surface parking lots / old Red river alignment / the bubble and whatnot to further campus building or development.

This would be awesome not having the bottlenecks of crossing 35 over MLK or at Dean Keaton only. Back and forth between main campus and the tennis center,  baseball and softball fields anywhere along that stretch would be transformational especially if it came with parking lots, amphitheater, additional sports fields and tailgating spots.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Airlines must give automatic refunds for all canceled flights and those delayed over 3 hours: DOT - ABC News (go.com)

Spoiler

The Department of Transportation on Wednesday is rolling out new rules that will require airlines to automatically give cash refunds to passengers for cancelled and significantly delayed flights.

The delays covered would be more than three hours for domestic flights and more than six hours for international flights, the agency said.

DOT will also require airlines to give cash refunds if your bags are lost and not delivered within 12 hours.

Airlines will have six months to comply with the new rules, DOT said.

"Passengers deserve to get their money back when an airline owes them - without headaches or haggling," said Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg in a statement. "Our new rule sets a new standard to require airlines to promptly provide cash refunds to their passengers."

Buttigieg will make a formal announcement abut the major changes at a Wednesday morning news conference.

The DOT said it is also is working on rules related to family seating fees, enhancing rights for wheelchair-traveling passengers for safe and dignified travel, and mandating compensation and amenities if flights are delayed or canceled by airlines.

According to DOT, passengers are entitled to a refund for:

Canceled or significantly changed flights: Passengers will be entitled to a refund if their flight is canceled or significantly changed, and they do not accept alternative transportation or travel credits offered. For the first time, the rule defines “significant change.” Significant changes to a flight include departure or arrival times that are more than 3 hours domestically and 6 hours internationally; departures or arrivals from a different airport; increases in the number of connections; instances where passengers are downgraded to a lower class of service; or connections at different airports or flights on different planes that are less accessible or accommodating to a person with a disability.

Significantly delayed baggage return: Passengers who file a mishandled baggage report will be entitled to a refund of their checked bag fee if it is not delivered within 12 hours of their domestic flight arriving at the gate, or 15-30 hours of their international flight arriving at the gate, depending on the length of the flight.

Extra services not provided: Passengers will be entitled to a refund for the fee they paid for an extra service — such as Wi-Fi, seat selection, or inflight entertainment — if an airline fails to provide this service.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I would have no problem voting for Pete next election. Smart, articulate to get his point across, and just chill. He doesn't get overwhelmed with random shit. Plus, it would stroke out a lot of my patients. Low census means less Fox voters IMO. Hate to say it, but it's true. 

Edited by TDunk
  • Hook 'Em 4

On 4/24/2024 at 8:59 AM, HenryJames said:

Airlines must give automatic refunds for all canceled flights and those delayed over 3 hours: DOT - ABC News (go.com)

Hide contents

The Department of Transportation on Wednesday is rolling out new rules that will require airlines to automatically give cash refunds to passengers for cancelled and significantly delayed flights.

The delays covered would be more than three hours for domestic flights and more than six hours for international flights, the agency said.

DOT will also require airlines to give cash refunds if your bags are lost and not delivered within 12 hours.

Airlines will have six months to comply with the new rules, DOT said.

"Passengers deserve to get their money back when an airline owes them - without headaches or haggling," said Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg in a statement. "Our new rule sets a new standard to require airlines to promptly provide cash refunds to their passengers."

Buttigieg will make a formal announcement abut the major changes at a Wednesday morning news conference.

The DOT said it is also is working on rules related to family seating fees, enhancing rights for wheelchair-traveling passengers for safe and dignified travel, and mandating compensation and amenities if flights are delayed or canceled by airlines.

According to DOT, passengers are entitled to a refund for:

Canceled or significantly changed flights: Passengers will be entitled to a refund if their flight is canceled or significantly changed, and they do not accept alternative transportation or travel credits offered. For the first time, the rule defines “significant change.” Significant changes to a flight include departure or arrival times that are more than 3 hours domestically and 6 hours internationally; departures or arrivals from a different airport; increases in the number of connections; instances where passengers are downgraded to a lower class of service; or connections at different airports or flights on different planes that are less accessible or accommodating to a person with a disability.

Significantly delayed baggage return: Passengers who file a mishandled baggage report will be entitled to a refund of their checked bag fee if it is not delivered within 12 hours of their domestic flight arriving at the gate, or 15-30 hours of their international flight arriving at the gate, depending on the length of the flight.

Extra services not provided: Passengers will be entitled to a refund for the fee they paid for an extra service — such as Wi-Fi, seat selection, or inflight entertainment — if an airline fails to provide this service.

I get the refund for bags arriving late, no wifi if you paid for it, etc.  That's a service the airline failed due to some incompetence on their part.

But refunding  tickets if you're late or flight is cancelled?  Surely there is some fine print around if it's due to airline being at fault. Bad weather delays and cancels flights all the time.  I don't see how this does anything other than raise prices to cover the inevitable refunds.  Maybe I'm missing something.

56 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

I get the refund for bags arriving late, no wifi if you paid for it, etc.  That's a service the airline failed due to some incompetence on their part.

But refunding  tickets if you're late or flight is cancelled?  Surely there is some fine print around if it's due to airline being at fault. Bad weather delays and cancels flights all the time.  I don't see how this does anything other than raise prices to cover the inevitable refunds.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Yeah, surely weather delays/cancellations won't be included.

1 hour ago, Wiler77 said:

I'm thinking it covers them and yes it likely will raise prices slightly. Biggest thing is it sets a "standard" that all airlines have to follow. I don't see if changing things too much though other than making process simplier and the same across airlines. On weather delays or cancellations, most people are still going to do what they currently do which is accept the delay or accept the alternative flight. I don't think many are going to be looking to refund their ticket to only have to purchase another same day ticket assuming they can find an empty seat somewhere else.  This just puts out there a plan that says you no longer have to hassle the airline to get your cash back when now the first 10 people you talk to say they can't do that but can offer flight credit.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Wiler77 said:

My understanding it’s only refunded if you decide to decline the alternative flights offered to you. So, for example, your flight is delayed 6 hours and you say f it, I’m not going, you would automatically get a refund to your original form of payment instead of having to go through the formal refund process and/or accept the refund as a travel credit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I will say I could see other airlines changing to have you "pre-pay" for 2 "free" bags like Southwest does so they don't have to pay out late bag fees since they were "free". Still amazing that other airlines haven't gone to Southwest's marketing gimmick regardng bags. People hate being nickle and dimed and hate paying for things they previously didn't have to.