The Cloak Room is a terrible place.

Parliament

Not sure who 'Tom' is, but this dipshit referring to ANYONE as 'the dumbest mother fucker' anywhere is EXACTLY why America disappeared in less than a year and we have a world at war, 8 dollar gasoline and inflation regressively taxing those of us with the least.

c20bdac2c7738a3a36389183014a248f.gif

17 hours ago, m00t607t said:

you should put down the phone call you've been sitting on hold with, waiting for your refund from the Black Lives Matter group who duped you.....ain't no one there.

start looking for the ACLU you used to 'care about' as your 'law practice' floundered around with you on a Texas fan site for a decade

perhaps move another Major League All Star Game from a place like Atlanta to a place like Denver

lol

Or, wait....no....better yet, continue to scissor with Wiggins and Budigeg above at the 'revolutionary impact' of a Kamala Harris.

Not sure who 'Tom' is, but this dipshit referring to ANYONE as 'the dumbest mother fucker' anywhere is EXACTLY why America disappeared in less than a year and we have a world at war, 8 dollar gasoline and inflation regressively taxing those of us with the least.

Retire old man....your football team, much like your 'lawyering' is antiquated bullshit and when it was real good...it was still bullshit

image.gif.33c5e49bd77ba92b86153b7bb208639b.gif

I was in Austin for the conference last weekend and walked from my hotel near 2nd and Congress and up past the Capitol to the Kolache Factory at Lamar and like 38th.

Just to the west of the Capitol building, I saw a sign for the "Cloak Room." Just about shit myself. Well done on naming the forum (back at least to the Shaggy Bevo days, IIRC).

CSB, I know, but it was cool to see it in person and connect the dots.

Kudos on walking 36 blocks to get a fucking kolache, btw.  There was a kolache place just a few feet from your hotel, but I admire your physicality.  

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Kudos on walking 36 blocks to get a fucking kolache, btw.  There was a kolache place just a few feet from your hotel, but I admire your physicality.  

Hehe, I tried to walk at least 5 miles per day and explore new areas while I was there to make up for all the food and drank. Only so many times I can do the greatest hits. Basically picked a direction and went each day.

Also, I'm a northerner and a big-time sucker for the pizza and hot polish kolaches. Can't get them at home and I'm only in Texas a few times a year. Always make sure to get them, good BBQ, and tacos al pastor from a trompo, since I can't get them at home.

3 hours ago, choripan said:

I was in Austin for the conference last weekend and walked from my hotel near 2nd and Congress and up past the Capitol to the Kolache Factory at Lamar and like 38th.

Just to the west of the Capitol building, I saw a sign for the "Cloak Room." Just about shit myself. Well done on naming the forum (back at least to the Shaggy Bevo days, IIRC).

If you had only gone ahead and shit yourself, rubbed it all over your body, you would've fit fight in the Cloak Room. So close.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 5

3 hours ago, choripan said:

Hehe, I tried to walk at least 5 miles per day and explore new areas while I was there to make up for all the food and drank. Only so many times I can do the greatest hits. Basically picked a direction and went each day.

Also, I'm a northerner and a big-time sucker for the pizza and hot polish kolaches. Can't get them at home and I'm only in Texas a few times a year. Always make sure to get them, good BBQ, and tacos al pastor from a trompo, since I can't get them at home.

I don't want to live in your world

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 6

18 hours ago, choripan said:

If you walked to campus, you could pick up a copy of the Daily Texan

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, choripan said:

Wait, you can't get pizza or kolaches at home...in the North where those things actually come from natives?  So you came to the one large city in North America that no longer has an Italian or Czech population?  Plus you walk five miles?  I tell what you got here sir...you got yourself a goddamn lifestyle fad.  We can have books/website ready by next week, we'll make a shitton of money.  We drop people into cities with no diaspora of a particular cuisine origin.  And we make them just walk around looking for a meal that doesn't exist.  They lose a buncha weight and we profit.  

"Always wanted to try proper Indian food?  Well, good luck walking 9 miles in concentric circles in beautiful downtown Concord, New Hampshire.  Or is it a genuine Cuban press sandwich you crave?  Well just over that short 3 hour mountain hike near Pocatello, Idaho will you find your satiation!"  

I'm glad you got your BBQ and taco fix though.  Sometimes there really is nothing like a taste of an old hometown.  

@4doorsMoreWhores, we have good food, just not those regional specialties. I can get tacos al pastor from a trompo, but it's like a 30 minute drive away. I can make high-quality BBQ but don't feel like tending a fire or, again, driving 25+ minutes. The savory Texas-style kolaches are, uh, something really weird and I love them. I'm 3/4 Slav and there's nothing like that in my communities. I remember my native Texan wife's surprise when I told her that kolaches are not "real" kolacky, but are instead a local creation that's totally different, but crazy delicious.

@Anastasis, I did not. It was like 8am. Not sure I've seen a shift bar in Austin that opens at like 6-7am for folks getting off a midnight shift.

@Lobo, I can get pizza at home! Hell, there are two Detroit-style places better than Via 313 within a couple miles of me. It's the pizza-style kolache and the hot polish kolache that I can't get, since those are just local/regional. I grew up eating traditional kolacky and, while they're okay, I love the Texas style and, in particular, those two. And, as for walking, I love walking and exploring new cities to get a feel for them in a way you can't in a bike or car. My BIL is a student at UT and the last couple years we've AirBnb'd a place for 3-4 weeks over the holidays, so I've explored the neighborhoods we've stayed in (Bouldin Creek and E.Austin/Cesar Chavez) and areas adjacent, but I've never had reason to explore that area up Lamar where the Kolache Factory is, or Hyde Park, or West Campus/Tarrytown, etc. So, really, walking is a good way to see a new city and burn calories without the intensity of my usual workout when I'm a bit hungover (or worse) every day. 

• Like 3

That sounds like an awesome setup.  PM next time you're in town, I've got some great off-the-record recommendations for little known joints in those areas.  Glad you had a good time.  There's a tiny little Polish ex-pat population in Austin that gets together for football and they bring their own food to the bar.  Since I look Hispanic, like my Mother, they embrace me.  Until they find out my exceedingly German name.  But they make great snacks.  

We went from comparisons to Putin-esque propaganda without a hint of irony by the poster to a discussion on proper kolaches in a place hard to find them.  

Technically, it's a derail...but I'd rather think of it as an improvement.  

21 hours ago, Lobo said:

Wait, you can't get pizza or kolaches at home...in the North where those things actually come from natives?  So you came to the one large city in North America that no longer has an Italian or Czech population?  Plus you walk five miles?  I tell what you got here sir...you got yourself a goddamn lifestyle fad.  We can have books/website ready by next week, we'll make a shitton of money.  We drop people into cities with no diaspora of a particular cuisine origin.  And we make them just walk around looking for a meal that doesn't exist.  They lose a buncha weight and we profit.  

"Always wanted to try proper Indian food?  Well, good luck walking 9 miles in concentric circles in beautiful downtown Concord, New Hampshire.  Or is it a genuine Cuban press sandwich you crave?  Well just over that short 3 hour mountain hike near Pocatello, Idaho will you find your satiation!"  

I'm glad you got your BBQ and taco fix though.  Sometimes there really is nothing like a taste of an old hometown.  

One thing I’ve learned while traveling the world is no matter where you go, you will find an at least half decent Indian restaurant.  Never fails from the redneckiest part of Arkansas to the wastelands of Siberia.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Wilbur, Nebraska. They have a lot of Czech food. During their Czech Festival in August they host the Duck and Dumpling Run and a loooong time ago, I raced the 10k. I think they still have the race.

People forget about Nebraska and the Czech population because it's well Nebraska, but per capita, they have a pretty high percentage.

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

We went from comparisons to Putin-esque propaganda without a hint of irony by the poster to a discussion on proper kolaches in a place hard to find them.  

Technically, it's a derail...but I'd rather think of it as an improvement.  

all threads on surly eventually turn to texas cuisine. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Wilbur, Nebraska. They have a lot of Czech food. During their Czech Festival in August they host the Duck and Dumpling Run and a loooong time ago, I raced the 10k. I think they still have the race.

People forget about Nebraska and the Czech population because it's well Nebraska, but per capita, they have a pretty high percentage.

Runzas say hi.

On 3/18/2022 at 10:37 PM, choripan said:

In case you're wondering, the significance of the Cloak Room is that it's the closest bar to the Capitol. Supposedly a hangout for lobbyists and their prey.  

6 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

In case you're wondering, the significance of the Cloak Room is that it's the closest bar to the Capitol. Supposedly a hangout for lobbyists and their prey.  

AH-HA!  So you admit there's a pedophile ring under that bar led by liberal legislators and liberal lobbyists, George Soros, and a Mister Ronan Sinatra?!?!?

Edited by Lobo

11 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I wish y'all would quit running off Ttom....Or maybe not. I shouldn't be laughing at his posts b/c of what a trainwreck he is but I can't help it....Esp if you red them in the voice of Skeletor. 

The fact that that deranged idiot stormed the capitol and is still a free man doesn't speak well of the FBI.

The CR is not a terrible place, it is a special place.  I applaud the mods for creating a safe space where our mentally challenged friends have a place to express themselves, no matter how far out of touch with reality they may be.  Mental health is a big issue and I hope that these CR posters are all getting help in the real world.

• Haha 2

Yes, the mature thing to do when you disagree with someone is to run away and hide to other parts of the board, making snarky and passive agressive bitchass off-topic remarks that derail threads instead of defending your positions in the proper section of the website.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Around early 2019, I started getting really confused.  The Cloak Room completely shifted tone.  I stopped going to political events, I stopped donating and lobbying, I stopped watching the news.  All my friends in politics and media started speaking different.  There wasn't a watermark or specific moment, but for me anyway---someone pretty engaged---it all changed.  I still can't put my finger on it.  And I still feel like there was a meeting amongst my more right-leaning friends that I just wasn't invited to, and that's fine---I wouldn't invite me either.  But the shift wasn't political.  It wasn't from left to right, or right to left.  I think the reason I frequent the CR is because it's a cathartic release for my confusion.  I just don't know what the fuck happened and I'm angry because I should be able to figure out what happened, but I can't.  And I hate when I can't solve a problem.  I'm a humble winner (which rarely happens for me anyways), but I'm a shitty loser.  And I can't figure out what the fuck happened and it bothers me.  

I get the domestic policy and the judiciary wins.  But I just do not fucking get the embrace of lies and stupidity.  I just don't.  This site is a bit different, it's categorically more educated and successful and intelligent than most of America.  "Both sides" have stupid.  "Both sides "lie."  But I don't get why one side suddenly decided to celebrate those?  Why did we throw that bone out to the shit of the country?  We'll never be able to take it back.  I worked for a decade to figure out how to help one party expand its tent to Hispanics and Libertarians and Independents.  To use policy and education and commerce to ensure its political future.  And in one stroke of stupid, y'all figured out a completely different way to do it in half the time with half the effort.  Quite brilliant actually. 

Cruz's former campaign director and chief-of-staff once showed me this "digital plan" back in 2012 which would use social media algorithms to target non-voters using vitriolic messaging to defeat "RINO Dewhurst."  I thought it was crazy.  Why spend all that time and money targeting people who probably won't vote in a primary anyway?  Why not spend it on very likely primary voters to get them to go out for Cruz instead of Dewhurst, I wondered?  Once again, my prize mistake---my lack of imagination.  

I don't like the Democratic Party.  Despite a few votes here and there, I'll never be a member.  But I dislike STUPID a whole lot more.  Because Stupid is dangerous.  Particularly because it doesn't recognize its own reflection.  That's why the CR exists today, because some of us can't look you in the mirror.

25 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

The CR is not a terrible place, it is a special place.  I applaud the mods for creating a safe space where our mentally challenged friends have a place to express themselves, no matter how far out of touch with reality they may be.  Mental health is a big issue and I hope that these CR posters are all getting help in the real world.

thats-so-funny-i-forgot-to-laugh.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yes, the mature thing to do when you disagree with someone is to run away and hide to other parts of the board, making snarky and passive agressive bitchass off-topic remarks that derail threads instead of defending your positions in the proper section of the website.

CR:

Casting Call: Searching for the New Spanky, Alfalfa, Darla ...

Complainers:

Carl 'Alfalfa' Switzer

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

talking totally not about politics wink wink in the daily texan rather than the cloak room because the people who hurt my feelings are the ones in the safe space

What you describe happened, I think, because until recently any dissenting opinion (or any post, really, from someone who has dissented consistently in the past) was not tolerated and neg spammed. Intolerance to reasoned disagreement created a sort of self-segregation where you had threads started around the same topic but different tones and posters.

Recently and for the most part the mods have taken a stance against that sort of harassment and rep spamming and I think it will create a more colorful discussion and conversation moving forward, in the one walled garden forum where those conversations are supposed to be.

Edited by TurkeyChew
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 6