City student passes 3 classes in four years, ranks near top half of class with 0.13 GPA

clapclapclap

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea America definitely needs to become more of an authoritarian state. That’s seems like a great fucking plan. Jesus Christ dude

You know what they didn't have?  Junkies asleep on the shit covered sidewalks, needles in the gutter.  Australians are so oppressed, everyone there hates it.  Singapore too.  What a bunch of shithole counties.   Our neighbors to the south have headless people hanging from overpasses because frat dudes want a few hours of high.  Cool. No problem there.  What a wonderful gift to society we are providing. 

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You know what they didn't have?  Junkies asleep on the shit covered sidewalks, needles in the gutter.  Australians are so oppressed, everyone there hates it.  Singapore too.  What a bunch of shithole counties.   Our neighbors to the south have headless people hanging from overpasses because frat dudes want a few hours of high.  Cool. No problem there.  What a wonderful gift to society we are providing. 

You seem to really like governmental authority. Again, so much freedom. I guess if it can prevent people asleep on side walks we should kill them. Seems perfectly reasonable to keep your streets looking white

Edited by hobbes2702

47 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I know.  That's been a huge mega tremendous issue.  It doesn't change the fact of anything I've stated.  IF YOU DONT USE DRUGS, YOU WILL NOT GO TO PRISON FOR DRUG RELATED ISSUES. 

Jesus, take your own advice and put down the crackpipe.  Wtf?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I guess if it can prevent people asleep on side walks we should kill them.

I'm pretty sure that punishment is for smugglers, and I said that in my post.  I never dove too deep into it, BECUASE I DONT SMUGGLE DRUGS.  You typically don't read what I write then project from there, so I don't expect anything different.  But yeah, get caught smuggling shit here, game over, why not.  They know they rules.  They took the chance.  Actions, consequences, all that jazz.   Don't know why it wouldn't be the case for someone bringing in something so destructive, and will ruin so many lives.  

What we do about the tens of millions of addicts we have, I'll defer to you.  You seem to have it figured out.  Whatever it is, can't be authoritative, right?  I guess taxpayers will buy them dope forever like Portugal then we'll wonder why it doesn't work here.  Maybe once we have a good half the country using we can try something different.  

Yall can make this about race all you want.  But on a macro level, it doesn't make a fuck.  If you can resist fucking around, you will not find out.  

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I'm pretty sure that punishment is for smugglers, and I said that in my post.  I never dove too deep into it, BECUASE I DONT SMUGGLE DRUGS.  You typically don't read what I write then project from there, so I don't expect anything different.  But yeah, get caught smuggling shit here, game over, why not.  They know they rules.  They took the chance.  Actions, consequences, all that jazz.   Don't know why it wouldn't be the case for someone bringing in something so destructive, and will ruin so many lives.  

What we do about the tens of millions of addicts we have, I'll defer to you.  You seem to have it figured out.  Whatever it is, can't be authoritative, right?  I guess taxpayers will buy them dope forever like Portugal then we'll wonder why it doesn't work here.  Maybe once we have a good half the country using we can try something different.  

Yall can make this about race all you want.  But on a macro level, it doesn't make a fuck.  If you can resist fucking around, you will not find out.  

Cool. Fascism seems more like your thing so I’ll leave you to it.

It's a running joke on here, but [mention=115]Johnny Sack[/mention] isnt wrong when he says:
1) make it thru high school
2) dont get pregnant before 21
3) dont use drugs
3b) dont abuse alcohol
And you will not be living in the gutter.  You wont be in the pen.  You wont be one of the statistics.  You might not get fucked by Bidens tax plan, but you wont be eating shit of a dumpster and sucking dick to get a fix.  It's really that simple. 
Sure, but people have fucked upped back stories, shitty support systems and mental illness.

I make ends well enough, not 1% or even close: most of the successful people I know breezed through several of those Sack items by being Middle class or better and having connections. Myself included and I grew up lower middle class with solid parents. I was lucky as fuck. Dealt with Drugs, booze, abortion whether I wanted to or not. All around me.

All of it went much easier if you're affluent white. In my experience.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Sure, but people have fucked upped back stories, shitty support systems and mental illness.

I make ends well enough, not 1% or even close: most of the successful people I know breezed through several of those Sack items by being Middle class or better and having connections. Myself included and I grew up lower middle class with solid parents. I was lucky as fuck. Dealt with Drugs, booze, abortion whether I wanted to or not. All around me.

All of it went much easier if you're affluent white. In my experience.

Agreed.  There are places in our cities that are fucking rotten to the core, and there is almost no "escaping".  It's really shitty we've turned those areas into that.  But what I don't understand, is what's inflammatory about saying, *IF* you have a chance at getting out, this is how. *IF* you want to leave this shit behind, here's how.  We could discuss for the next 50 years how we got there; need to figure out how to get out.  And I don't see how less responsibility and more substances is the correct path.  I don't accept that you have to deal drugs to get by, or steal, or whatever.   But I'll put the crack pipe down and move along.  Kid should have went to school. Mom damn sure knew what was going on, and should have done something.  School should have done something.  Don't know if the kid had a father or not, but it probably would have helped. We all know that. This dude is actually getting a second chance; I hope he doesn't fuck it up.  

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Again, personal responsibility is required more of some than of others.

That's the American way.

Who is arguing that?  You seem to be knowledgeable on many of these topics; I don't understand the point in copying and pasting your one thought 20 times throughout a thread.   We got it.  AA's got a raw deal.  Whites should never have issues with anything at any time.  Now that that's established, care to speak your thoughts on where the failure of this kids schooling originated?

@fattyflattie

Its ironic, don’t you think, when prisons drug prisoners to manage behavior?

Also, how do you square your position with the American Academy of Family Physicians assessment that incarceration is more harmful to individuals than not imprisoning?

https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/article/forced-medication-prison-inmates/2008-02

https://www.aafp.org/about/policies/all/incarceration.html

Thanks, @Mole for the Atlantic link to the Moynihan Report. Notably, the report sought a path toward increasing the stability of black families.

My take on what Wash has said: we are free to continue, or to deny, our own role in this neglect, or not.

My suggestion: prime the pump. Targeted, tangible, and timely incentives for attending school and learning.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Addition
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I actually said I don't know what we should do about it.  I've lived in several countries that have EXTREMELY strict drug laws (Sing and Oz).   I'd rather us do something like they do to curb it.  You smuggle in, you go to prison for life or you die.  Seems simple enough.  Unless we need to show compassion for the lowly drug smugglers too?

You have issues, dude.  A pot smoker fuck you wife and daughter raw or something?

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

It's a running joke on here, but @Johnny Sack isnt wrong when he says:

3) dont use drugs

3b) dont abuse alcohol

And you will not be living in the gutter.  You wont be in the pen.  You wont be one of the statistics.  You might not get fucked by Bidens tax plan, but you wont be eating shit of a dumpster and sucking dick to get a fix.  It's really that simple. 

I don't agree with Sack on much, but my family members, who had the most problems, didn't check many of these boxes. Admittedly I was an idiot probably well into my 20s but I was able to avoid these. Probably helped that women weren't fighting each other over me so #2 wasn't too much of a concern. My alcohol abuse was only sporadic. I count myself lucky that my binge drinking didn't lead to any serious trouble.

One problem that I assume we have is serious lack of motivation or understanding of many kids on where to go in life. Both of my parents were public school teachers and they didn't give me any advice other than get good grades, go to college and figure out next steps myself. Not horrible but surprisingly very little advice. Now that I'm the age they were when I was in high school, I'm perplexed by their relative silence.  I can only imagine the lack of advice/direction from parents that are even more disengaged and obviously absent.

And as far as rule 2, I think anyone from low socio-economic backgrounds should wait until at least 30 to have kids. And perhaps even to skip kids altogether. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Mole said:

To the extent that they exist:

Fatherless homes is both a cause and symptom of the problem. Drug use is both a cause and symptom of the problem. Lack of interest in education is both a cause and symptom of the problem.

Pointing to symptoms of larger problems as the root cause (if “they” would just stop using drugs, etc) is nothing more than a prelude to pretending that there isn’t a problem. Likewise, pretending that these individual issues aren’t problems isn’t particularly helpful either.

These bad things hurt individuals and communities but they aren’t always entirely irrational. Fatherless homes, drug addiction, and lack of interest in education might seem perfectly rational given the right circumstances.  That doesn’t mean that they are good or should be encouraged, but the reason they might seem rational might point towards some sort of solution.

Mole might be my favorite poster ijs 

20 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Everyone knows that money actually hurts poor people.

This is so TRUE!

Fred Trump gave his poor son $413 million dollars and Donald not only became more poor, he turned into a criminal tax dodger, swindler, bankrupt, foreign asset seditionist who incited a riot at the Capitol. He was so lazy he spent all his time watching his big screen television and eating government sponsored fast food while living in subsidized housing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, FOXHOUND said:

The War on Drugs is one of the biggest policy failures that this country has ever had, and it has had a lot of them. It disproportionately targets black and brown people, black people especially. When the crack epidemic hit black neighborhoods it was "lock em up", when the opioid crisis hit white communities it's suddenly a public health problem. 

Not sure why this didn't end the discussion.

You can't take the moral high ground on personal responsibility when part of your community is being persecuted.

During Prohibition, I'm sure teetotalers self-righteously proclaimed: Don't drink alcohol, and you won't have any problems.

Let's pass a law demanding citizens leap through hoops. Just leap through the hoops, and you...you know the rest.

I've never done an illegal drug. I don't consider that a moral virtue. I also don't think it's any of my business to tell someone else what to do if they aren't hurting anyone. Liberty and all that.

• Hook 'Em 6

12 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

It's a running joke on here, but @Johnny Sack isnt wrong when he says:

3) dont use drugs

3b) dont abuse alcohol

That's a pretty simplistic and silly metric though. Because if a white person does the above, they'll end up middle class at worst, which is a huge leap above "not eating shit out of a dumpster". And I can personally attest that white people can fuck up the checklist above completely and still end up affluent. Minorities rarely get that privilege.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was wondering about a national PSA drive to not have kids under the age of 25 the other day. I'm not sure what capacity that would take or if a national strategy would have an impact, but I think it would be a noble idea. I guess it would work about as well as D.A.R.E. worked but if we focused hard on contraception (and abortion, but that wouldn't fly obviously) it might make a dent in the poverty cycle.

Edited by SimonBolivar

12 hours ago, FOXHOUND said:

The War on Drugs is one of the biggest policy failures that this country has ever had, and it has had a lot of them. It disproportionately targets black and brown people, black people especially. When the crack epidemic hit black neighborhoods it was "lock em up", when the opioid crisis hit white communities it's suddenly a public health problem. 

The best part about that is one of the main architects is now the President. A fact conveniently forgotten these days.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

The best part about that is one of the main architects is now the President. A fact conveniently forgotten these days.

Joe Biden wasn't even in the Senate yet when Nixon declared a war on drugs.

Was Biden a proponent of the war on drugs when he was in office? Yes. So was nearly everyone else involved in politics. Calling him a main architect of the war on drugs is bullshit, though.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

The War on Drugs started under Nixon, you must be thinking of the Crime Bill. And that particular bill was mostly at the behest of local black community leaders telling lawmakers to do something. In hindsight I believe most people would be open to a less punitive approach to the users and treat it as a public health issue. By the time people realized the discrepancy between the sentencing of crack users vs cocaine, how families were separated and the ballooning of the prison industrial system it was too late. 

The War on Drugs has been an abject failure we imprison the most people of any developed nation and spent over a trillion dollars over the last four decades. 

Edited by FOXHOUND

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Joe Biden wasn't even in the Senate yet when Nixon declared a war on drugs.

Was Biden a proponent of the war on drugs when he was in office? Yes. So was nearly everyone else involved in politics. Calling him a main architect of the war on drugs is bullshit, though.

Nixon's declaration was just a stepping stone. DEA wasn't even created until 1973.

In the mid-1970s, the War on Drugs took a slight hiatus. Between 1973 and 1977, eleven states decriminalized marijuana possession.

Jimmy Carter became president in 1977 after running on a political campaign to decriminalize marijuana. During his first year in office, the Senate Judiciary Committee voted to decriminalize up to one ounce of marijuana.

The real war on drugs didn't kick off until the 80's. Biden was there for Reagan's Drug Bill and Clinton's crime bill. Both of which he played a heavy hand in making happen. Acting like he wasn't the main architect is bullshit revisionist history.

In a 1982 New York Times article, Biden coined the term “drug czar” when he called for the federal government to create this new role.

The article says:

But Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., … who is a strong advocate of antinarcotics efforts, said today that he thought no program could work without a Cabinet-level "drug czar" in charge to coordinate the work of various agencies.

Just a few years later, Biden got his wish with the creation of the new Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), whose head is referred to as the “drug czar.” And with this new department came stricter policies for drug offenders and a hefty price tag for the American public. In one of its earlier reports, the ONDCP asked for more taxpayer dollars to enforce its new policies:

Last February, this Administration requested nearly $717 million in new drug budget authority for Fiscal Year 1990. Now, after six months of careful study, we have identified an immediate need for $1.478 billion more. With this report, the Administration is requesting FY 1990 drug budget authority totaling $7.864 billion—the largest single-year dollar increase in history.

In addition to supporting the creation of the ONDCP, Biden also voted for its reauthorization in 1996 and supported its propaganda campaign against the American people. In the bill that received support from the former veep, it reads:

The Director shall ensure that no Federal funds appropriated to the Office of National Drug Control Policy shall be expended for any study or contract relating to the legalization (for a medical use or any other use) of a substance listed in schedule I of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812) and take such actions as necessary to oppose any attempt to legalize the use of [such] a substance (in any form).

In other words, the ONDCP committed itself to keep certain substances illegal even if new credible information comes to light. In fact, as the last line suggests, the drug czar is even encouraged to take whatever action is necessary to keep this information from the American public. This should terrify anyone concerned with government transparency.

In 1984, Biden cosponsored the Comprehensive Crime Control Act of 1984. This legislation gave law enforcement the authority to seize money and property from those suspected of drug trafficking—without ever having to charge them with a crime. This resulted in the decades-long practice of civil asset forfeiture that has incentivized law enforcement to police for profit and steal from the same individuals they have sworn to protect.

Mass Incarceration

In 1994, Biden’s signature piece of legislation, the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, was signed into law by President Clinton. The bill expanded the federal government’s use of the death penalty, banned certain people from owning assault weapons, denied certain higher education rights to inmates, and included the “three-strike” provision for repeat offenders. It also contributed to the dramatic rise in the country’s prison population in the years that followed.

He wasn't just some Jr. Senator sitting on the sidelines waiting for his name to be called. And whether everyone else in politics was involved still doesn't make it right.

4 minutes ago, FOXHOUND said:

The War on Drugs started under Nixon, you must be thinking of the Crime Bill. And that particular bill was mostly at the behest of local black community leaders telling lawmakers to do something. In hindsight I believe most people would be open to a less punitive approach to the users and treat it as a public health issue. By the time people realized the discrepancy between the sentencing of crack users vs cocaine, how families were separated and the ballooning of the prison industrial system it was too late. 

The War on Drugs has been an abject failure we imprison the most people of any developed nation and spent over a trillion dollars over the last four decades. 

Acknowledged that Nixon did start the war, but that was more of a skirmish. The major war didn't start until the 80's, especially with regards to the crack epidemic. It was like the Germans invading France.

The local community leaders may been asking for lawmakers to do something. But I don't think they asked for mass incarceration of black/brown men just because, asset forfeiture based on loose connections, outrageous sentencing disparities and a long list of other misery. I believe there were just asking for the same safe neighborhoods as the rest of America. The politicians like Biden and Reagan took it to the extreme. Damning multiple generations. 

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if money wasn't involved for these 'leaders' support. If they were actual leaders and not just self appointed.

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I reported a lot of the posts in this thread when it was on DT.  If that's why it got moved to CR, I apologize.

Could we create a new forum called "Texags" where all of the straight-up racist posts get moved?

That's what DT is for the most part

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I reported a lot of the posts in this thread when it was on DT.  If that's why it got moved to CR, I apologize.

Could we create a new forum called "Texags" where all of the straight-up racist posts get moved?

denzel washington GIF

Why would you say Biden's part is overlooked? It came up in the primaries and he feels his actions were a mistake.

The wars on crime and drugs were disastrous and unfair policies that people (white ones like me in particular) out of touch with the reality of the situation simplistically tried to apply.

More than the specific policy about drugs, there was a macho notion of "getting tough" that came from the GOP which would solve all of our problems. Welfare is bad, they're all crooks, throw 'em jail! That's not working, let's throw 'em in jail for longer!

To me this is an example of the GOP being ruthless and the Dems being weak. Dems, passively at best, allowed GOPs to turn from applying social solutions to social problems in fear of losing their seats. To me, this trend is a strong one in fucking up our country. Compassion, empathy, or even the attempt at understanding is weakness. The police and the Army are the solutions to everything.

It fits in with our insecure, adolescent male attitude to just about everything. We want to look tough. We're frightened somebody will call us weak. So we go around blasting other countries and unleashing negligent or cruel policies on our fellow citizens so we can make hard man jokes about bombing foreign weddings and prison rape. 

I'm one of the weak. I'd prefer we not haphazardly bomb gatherings of foreign citizens or countenance rape of any fellow citizens. Color me a pussy.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Why would you say Biden's part is overlooked? It came up in the primaries and he feels his actions were a mistake.

yeah it's been discussed regularly, and virtually every single poster here has called him out on his role in those policy failures.

meanwhile, @Brothahorn won't find a single fucking republican willing to do the same with members of his own party. you know why, @Brothahorn? they either support the policy or they're fucking cowards. 

13 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

The wars on crime and drugs were disastrous and unfair policies that people (white ones like me in particular) out of touch with the reality of the situation simplistically tried to apply.

More than the specific policy about drugs, there was a macho notion of "getting tough" that came from the GOP which would solve all of our problems. Welfare is bad, they're all crooks, throw 'em jail! That's not working, let's throw 'em in jail for longer!

To me this is an example of the GOP being ruthless and the Dems being weak. Dems, passively at best, allowed GOPs to turn from applying social solutions to social problems in fear of losing their seats. To me, this trend is a strong one in fucking up our country. Compassion, empathy, or even the attempt at understanding is weakness. The police and the Army are the solutions to everything.

It fits in with our insecure, adolescent male attitude to just about everything. We want to look tough. We're frightened somebody will call us weak. So we go around blasting other countries and unleashing negligent or cruel policies on our fellow citizens so we can make hard man jokes about bombing foreign weddings and prison rape. 

I'm one of the weak. I'd prefer we not haphazardly bomb gatherings of foreign citizens or countenance rape of any fellow citizens. Color me a pussy.

Saw posts about Nixon's war on drugs being responsible for this mess and how Biden was just another politician(see post #332). We all agree that Nixon started it, but shit didn't hit the fan until the 80's, Biden/Reagan teamed up. And Nixon's racist shit is no excuse for what happened in the 80's & 90's.

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

yeah it's been discussed regularly, and virtually every single poster here has called him out on his role in those policy failures.

meanwhile, @Brothahorn won't find a single fucking republican willing to do the same with members of his own party. you know why, @Brothahorn? they either support the policy or they're fucking cowards. 

So we agree on something.

13 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I'm not debating anything other than the mulligan.  

Can be drugs, alcohol, shoplifting, assault, whatever.     If you avoid that, you *should* be fine.  

You're aware there are five times more white drug users than black drug users in the US, but blacks comprise 62.7% of all prisoners convicted on drug charges?  And you're ok with that?

https://www.hrw.org/legacy/reports/2000/usa/Rcedrg00.htm

5 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

You're aware there are five times more white drug users than black drug users in the US, but blacks comprise 62.7% of all prisoners convicted on drug charges?  And you're ok with that?

https://www.hrw.org/legacy/reports/2000/usa/Rcedrg00.htm

Of course I'm not OK with that.  I have a problem with the amount of drug use we have in our country, and the ill effects it brings to everyone.  

39 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Of course I'm not OK with that.  I have a problem with the amount of drug use we have in our country, and the ill effects it brings to everyone.  

What I’ll effect does someone smoking weed bring? Fuck off. The only I’ll effects are due to our country creating a black market through prohibition, which has proven not to work.