The Trial of Derek Chauvin

TexasHooch

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think this is a very good point.  Despite my possibly pollyannish faith in the system, I also recognize that, even at its very best, it delivers a pale imitation of "cosmic" or true or perfect "justice."

And, I am particularly saddened by relatives of victims who seem to rely on the system for "comfort" or a solution to their grief and loss.

Exactly. The verdict can’t be the only thing to make a victim’s family whole. I remember in the mid-1990’s through early 2000’s there was a near epidemic in child abductions. It seemed like there was a stranger/child abduction (rape/murder) every couple of weeks from Polly Klaas to Elizabeth Smart (tons of horrible ones in between.) The Amber Alert was created. Foundations were created to help aid. All sorts of laws were enacted. Now while those still happen they are not happening in the same numbers/same frequency. 

No matter the outcome I am hoping for the same thing here. Don’t rely just on a verdict alone. Take action within the system to make changes. 

I still think the trial went well for the prosecution. But no one can truly predict how a jury will operate. Until then we are all holding our breath. And it shouldn’t be that way. Ugghhh...

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Even if there is a guilty verdict (hope there will be one) law makers need to act.

The laws are on the books. Murder is murder, manslaughter is manslaughter. The problem rests with prosecutors and juries who give deference to Cops.

There is no doubt this is a pivotal case thought. I'm buying stock in Flamethrowers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

The laws are on the books. Murder is murder, manslaughter is manslaughter. The problem rests with prosecutors and juries who give deference to Cops.

There is no doubt this is a pivotal case thought. I'm buying stock in Flamethrowers. 

We need a law eliminating qualified immunity.

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

What's your thoughts on the January 6th?

It was bad, because they were trying to execute the democratically elected government and install their guy as dictator. There’s more than a tiny bit of difference between that and other forms of political violence.

For shits and giggles, I pulled up Maxine Waters' 10 worst speaking moments/biggest gaffes.  It was pretty bad.  Worse than I remember, actually.

I sincerely hope her speaking idiotically out of turn does not have an effect on this trial.  That would be beyond the pale, IMO.  

Leave it other batshit moronic politicians to say something about the case AFTER the verdict is delivered.  We have no shortage of those.

I bet if you gave 50 Republican politicians of note and 50 Democratic politicians of note a chance to have one tweet today about the passing of Walter Mondale in Minnesota, 90 of them would instead tweet out something about the Chauvin trial, the Daunte Edwards/police controversy, or the 2020 election.  Only 10 would have the decency to acknowledge the life and service of maybe the most influential Vice President in U.S. history (and I did not like the fucking guy).  

Are you talking about the CBS reporter above or something else?
I was talking about Maxine Waters nonsense. But why not both?
I haven't watched the trial, but has there been any evidence set forth that Chauvin's actions had anything to do with race?

One was black and the other was white. If anyone has claimed a racial overtone, that’s all the proof I’ve seen.

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

Maxine Waters inciting violence. She definitely didn't say peacefully and patriotically protest.

ok gotcha. yeah she seems like an idiot. i watched the CBS reporter and thought folks were saying she was threatening jurors, which would have been an insane take.

I haven't watched the trial, but has there been any evidence set forth that Chauvin's actions had anything to do with race?

You mean besides when Chauvin yelled “Im a white racist cop and Im killing this black man because of my racism”

This will be after the politician says he’s taking this big bag of cash with the $ sign on it as a bribe in exchange for political favors.
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

You mean besides when Chauvin yelled “Im a white racist cop and Im killing this black man because of my racism”

This will be after the politician says he’s taking this big bag of cash with the $ sign on it as a bribe in exchange for political favors.

Not every violent interaction between a white and a black -- by the way in such violent interactions whites are the victim 90 percent of the time -- is due to racism.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Only 10 would have the decency to acknowledge the life and service of maybe the most influential Vice President in U.S. history

Remember, we’re talking about the American public that has to have no more than 3.5 second visual/sound bites. And you’re asking a lot for them to remember more than 6 months into the past. Our politicians respond/pander accordingly.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I'm guessing since both sides glossed over it, there was either nothing there or somebody in the courthouse leaned on them to leave it out of the proceedings.  Either way the annual "El Nuevo Rodeo club versus MPD" softball game next year is gonna be tense.  

2 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Did they ever say anything again about Chauvin and Floyd knowing each other or working together?

No. Saw somewhere that the state had the chance to enter two of Chauvin's incidents into evidence, and they declined to do so. Keep the focus on Chauvin instead of turning the trial into State v. MPD.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

It was bad, because they were trying to execute the democratically elected government and install their guy as dictator. There’s more than a tiny bit of difference between that and other forms of political violence.

Thanks for answering. I'd say this is the same realm seeing how she said anything other than 1st degree murder they should get "confrontational." 

I think this is a very good point.  Despite my possibly pollyannish faith in the system, I also recognize that, even at its very best, it delivers a pale imitation of "cosmic" or true or perfect "justice."
And, I am particularly saddened by relatives of victims who seem to rely on the system for "comfort" or a solution to their grief and loss.
This scene from A Civil Action kind of sums up my feelings there.

posrep for A Civil Action. Fantastic law book. I should read it again. Also Damages, that's another must read for the genre.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Gourmand said:
3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:
This scene from A Civil Action kind of sums up my feelings there.

posrep for A Civil Action. Fantastic law book. I should read it again. Also Damages, that's another must read for the genre.

Robert Duval was so good in that movie.  You think he’s the villain when the entire damn time he’s trying to get the John Travolta character to do the right thing, and he never does to his ultimate downfall. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

It did go very well for the prosecution. But we’ve all seen how these things tend to turn out

Juries are unpredictable. 

We are either going to see Murder 2 or full acquittal, imo.

10 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Robert Duval was so good in that movie.  You think he’s the villain when the entire damn time he’s trying to get the John Travolta character to do the right thing, and he never does to his ultimate downfall. 

Yeah, Duval plays that role so brilliantly.  It's such a subtle, but overarching role, and nobody from the audience to Travolta to Pollack ever realize what's truly signaling.  I feel like much of Arthur Edens character (Tom Wilkinson) is taken from Duval's handling of that role.  Though in a much more obvious way, literally with his dick out.  I didn't realize the attorney Duval is based on just died a year ago.  

Edited by Lobo

4 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Yes let’s act like the mafia and threaten/bully the jury. Render the verdict we want or else. I hope that Chauvin is found guilty. But we are on a really perilous slope if we are counting on a verdict to solve our problems. Not a fan of what Maxine did either. Like I said, I hope they find him guilty.

But Moving forward, this is a really really bad precedent to set with future juries. Future verdicts. 

Hoping for a guilty verdict. 🙏🏼

@TwiceHorn just said it better than me. In post above this one. 

I agree with everything you said here, but i just want to point that what Maxine did (a politician using their pulpit to try and influence a trial), did not set the precedent.

• Hook 'Em 1

Waters was wrong but does anyone not believe the jury knows that if they fail to submit a guilty verdict, there will most likely be violence on the streets of MN? If they don't realize that, I question their ability to even be on a jury.

Now that potential violence shouldn't impact their decision but it's a weak take to think that Waters introduced that idea to them.

24 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

My favorite Maxine quote was when she said Guam might tip over because of too many US soldiers and bases on one side...  

That was Hank Johnson—not Maxine. Rep. Johnson’s concern about Guan tipping over has to be one of the funniest remarks I’ve heard from an elected official.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

My favorite Maxine quote was when she said Guam might tip over because of too many US soldiers and bases on one side...  

You're thinking of Hank Johnson.  I mean, yeah they're both black.  But they look nor sound anything alike.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You're thinking of Hank Johnson.  I mean, yeah they're both black.  But they look nor sound anything alike.  

That clip is one of my all time favorites.  The way the Navy dude just deadpans him as he has to be dying inside was glorious.

So 10 hours and 15 minutes of deliberation and no jury questions as of yet..no requests for anything.

I think it’s a good sign. Lots of exhibits to go through. So hopefully a sign of being thorough and will render a verdict. Not hang. Feeling more positive now about a guilty verdict. 

For you Crimpro trial experts, if they're on a roll, can the jury continue to deliberate into the night and reach a verdict at say 9:00p and then notify the judge?  Or is it hard stop no matter what the discussion taking place is and they gotta go to separate hotel rooms?  

10 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Another hilarious headline from the Babylon Bee! It’s right up there with classics like “Newspapers Declare Dewey Beats Trump, but That Was Just a False Narrative Resulting From MSM Bias” and “Scientist Who Was Slightly Wrong One Time Thinks We Should Believe Him When He Says We Should Get Vaccinated.”

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1